Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Wikiposts

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all
Smile Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Well EA has been round and now on at the new asking price. Am gutted that we are now 30k down on asking price but that does reduce stamp duty that anyone will need to pay. That is it thou not going to reduce any more. I have also said to the new EA that they can do all the viewings, and make them work for their money. Their rate is v high at 2% so if they sell it they can work for it. Our other EA's are 1.2% and 1%
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Originally Posted by spaceys
Well EA has been round and now on at the new asking price. Am gutted that we are now 30k down on asking price but that does reduce stamp duty that anyone will need to pay. That is it thou not going to reduce any more. I have also said to the new EA that they can do all the viewings, and make them work for their money. Their rate is v high at 2% so if they sell it they can work for it. Our other EA's are 1.2% and 1%

Good luck. It's crushing when you have to reduce and reduce isn't it? Hopefully this will work for you. Then it's worth the heartache and hit to the wallet. Are you with Darlows now? they charge 2% accross the board. Hope who ever it is, they can work the magic for you.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all

New EA has just called and we have a viewer on saturday at 10.30am lets just hope they show up this time!!!!! Have contacted other EA's about price reduction and they think we are doing the right thing........WELL GET US SOME BLOODY VIEWERS THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaahhhh that feels better
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

New EA has just called and we have a viewer on saturday at 10.30am lets just hope they show up this time!!!!! Have contacted other EA's about price reduction and they think we are doing the right thing........WELL GET US SOME BLOODY VIEWERS THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the viewing. Obviously worth taking them on just for this.

PMSL at your shouting - that's what I feel like doing. Spoke to our EA yesterday who is just so vague, well there aren't many people out there at your price range, well I know that, just flamin advertise in the right places then - that's what you're going to be paid a rather large sum of money to do!!:curse:

I might take private ads out in some London papers to see if it works and take that off the EAs fees.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why are they telling you not to reduce the price then it doesnt make sense . I would try anything time is ticking
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why are they telling you not to reduce the price then it doesnt make sense . I would try anything time is ticking
It is half term here and they reckon people will start booking viewings for next week soon - I suppose I can see their logic. We will wait until Monday and if no viewings have been booked, we'll reduce again - to get under the next £100K threshold. Then we'll hang on til Easter as that is the best selling time. The house will be nearly £100K under the original valuation by then. If it doesn't sell and the market is still crap, we will think about auction or even converting it into flats and letting them out. (Difficult to do long distance though.)
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

It is so frustrating isnt it. I love my house its in perfect location and only 5 yrs old. Its all about getting people through the door and I cant believe the EA's arent that bothered......Dont they want to make some money????? obiviously not!!!! Am just hoping this EA will pull their fingers out and make it happen. Friends of ours had house on market for over a year went with them and it sold in 3 days!!!! Same happened to a house round the corner from us
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with the viewer. Fingers crossed they are loaded cash buyers.

Originally Posted by Fly Away
It is half term here and they reckon people will start booking viewings for next week soon - I suppose I can see their logic. We will wait until Monday and if no viewings have been booked, we'll reduce again - to get under the next £100K threshold. Then we'll hang on til Easter as that is the best selling time. The house will be nearly £100K under the original valuation by then. If it doesn't sell and the market is still crap, we will think about auction or even converting it into flats and letting them out. (Difficult to do long distance though.)
It would make sense not to trail the kids round house viewing, lets hope the nice weather puts people in the mood for buying. Fingers crossed Flyaway that things will sell quickly.

We have a viewer for tomorrow, we had a private viewing (sounds rude) lady my husband has been doing some work for and she has put in an offer at £15K under asking price (this was our selling price anyway) and if we go with her won't have to pay EA fees. She isputting hers on market this week. Have told her will discuss it with OH and we will keep on market on the understanding that if a better offer comes along we will take it. She is getting a letter from her solicitor to formalise the offer, she even wanted to do a survey (told her to sell hers first). Don't know whether to tell EA to give them some motivation or not - what do you think oh wise house sellers?

Viewer from last week really liked it but apparently we are wrong end of town (so why look???) and we have a B & Q store about 1/4 of a mile away (which cannot be seen from our house) it is new and she was worried they were going to knock it down and build something else there - doohhhh. Our second viewing woman hasn't put in an offer and is going to wait and see.
So thats us - my house wasn't even that tidy when the woman came round who offered so ladies thats the way to go. All that cleaning for nothing.

I am trying to keep up with this thread but I must be going a bit mad as my memory is not what it was.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

It is so frustrating isnt it. I love my house its in perfect location and only 5 yrs old. Its all about getting people through the door and I cant believe the EA's arent that bothered......Dont they want to make some money????? obiviously not!!!! Am just hoping this EA will pull their fingers out and make it happen. Friends of ours had house on market for over a year went with them and it sold in 3 days!!!! Same happened to a house round the corner from us
Sending you some K's that they are reall hard grafters spaceys and like your neighbours house it gets sold within days.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Am hoping so much as well Will let you all know how it goes.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know how you feel, I love my house too and everyone who has viewed has loved it - just can't get people through the door. It is a one off - probably should be a listed building. We have quarter of an acre of garden, house is in good condition, planning permission for a triple garage with a flat over it, planning permission for a side extension, servants quarters which would make another 2 beds, 4 receptions and a conservatory. We are not going to give it away after spending £50K on it in the last 3 years. We've done all the horrible stuff - rewiring, dpc, plumbing, heating etc. All that needs doing is decorating to taste. (Decs probably done 10 years ago - so not bad). We have a bottom figure we would go down to - which is basically the cost of the house plus the work we have done. I think that is fair. Somebody will get a bargain if they pay that as prices have gone up. Sorry, I'm ranting. This drives me mad. I just need people to come through the door and someone will fall in love with the house.

Like you say - don't they want to make money??? Our EA will get £8K for selling our house. FFS, that is a fortune for putting an advert on line, sending some details out and accompanying some viewings. They are the second agent we've had. The first was crap and we went alone for a while and got more viewings than with either agent.:curse:

Good luck with the new EA - they sound much better - I bet they don't have offices around here though. Hope your viewers love the house.

Originally Posted by maisey
Good luck with the viewer. Fingers crossed they are loaded cash buyers.

It would make sense not to trail the kids round house viewing, lets hope the nice weather puts people in the mood for buying. Fingers crossed Flyaway that things will sell quickly.

Yes, I can see the sense, it's just frustrating as it's always wait for this and wait for that. I know that they are just scared the market will tumble - if we put the price of our house down too much, it will mean all the others round here will have to put theirs on for less and so on down the line. That affects the market and their profits.:curse:

We have a viewer for tomorrow, we had a private viewing (sounds rude) lady my husband has been doing some work for and she has put in an offer at £15K under asking price (this was our selling price anyway) and if we go with her won't have to pay EA fees. She isputting hers on market this week. Have told her will discuss it with OH and we will keep on market on the understanding that if a better offer comes along we will take it. She is getting a letter from her solicitor to formalise the offer, she even wanted to do a survey (told her to sell hers first). Don't know whether to tell EA to give them some motivation or not - what do you think oh wise house sellers?

Viewer from last week really liked it but apparently we are wrong end of town (so why look???) and we have a B & Q store about 1/4 of a mile away (which cannot be seen from our house) it is new and she was worried they were going to knock it down and build something else there - doohhhh. Our second viewing woman hasn't put in an offer and is going to wait and see.
So thats us - my house wasn't even that tidy when the woman came round who offered so ladies thats the way to go. All that cleaning for nothing.

I am trying to keep up with this thread but I must be going a bit mad as my memory is not what it was.
Your private buyer sounds a good bet! Not sure if I would tell the EA or not. Read your contract and see what it says. Some EAs will charge commission even if they didn't introduce the buyer. (Terrible eh?) The only way to play it in this circumstance, is to take your house off the market once this woman sells hers. If the contract is reasonable, all you need to do is to tell the EA that she has registered an interest to buy - she is a friend of yours but you are still marketing it in the hope of getting a better price.

Hope it works out for you.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:59 am
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I know how you feel, I love my house too and everyone who has viewed has loved it - just can't get people through the door. It is a one off - probably should be a listed building. We have quarter of an acre of garden, house is in good condition, planning permission for a triple garage with a flat over it, planning permission for a side extension, servants quarters which would make another 2 beds, 4 receptions and a conservatory. We are not going to give it away after spending £50K on it in the last 3 years. We've done all the horrible stuff - rewiring, dpc, plumbing, heating etc. All that needs doing is decorating to taste. (Decs probably done 10 years ago - so not bad). We have a bottom figure we would go down to - which is basically the cost of the house plus the work we have done. I think that is fair. Somebody will get a bargain if they pay that as prices have gone up. Sorry, I'm ranting. This drives me mad. I just need people to come through the door and someone will fall in love with the house.

Like you say - don't they want to make money??? Our EA will get £8K for selling our house. FFS, that is a fortune for putting an advert on line, sending some details out and accompanying some viewings. They are the second agent we've had. The first was crap and we went alone for a while and got more viewings than with either agent.:curse:

Good luck with the new EA - they sound much better - I bet they don't have offices around here though. Hope your viewers love the house.

Your private buyer sounds a good bet! Not sure if I would tell the EA or not. Read your contract and see what it says. Some EAs will charge commission even if they didn't introduce the buyer. (Terrible eh?) The only way to play it in this circumstance, is to take your house off the market once this woman sells hers. If the contract is reasonable, all you need to do is to tell the EA that she has registered an interest to buy - she is a friend of yours but you are still marketing it in the hope of getting a better price.

Hope it works out for you.
I love my house too and have decided to do the patio as its looking very tired. A nice man came to have a look this morning. When I get round to selling it will look the bees knees. I love your comment about servants quarters yah.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

One of the other EA's has just rang and we have another viewing for saturday, 2 in one day We will be out as they want the afternoon as travelling up from London, so will give EA a key in the morning and they can show her round....................Maybe us dropping our price will help things along
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Our house price covers the cost of doing it up, plus solicitors and EA. I saying today how weird it was that we got viewers just before Christmas, immediately into New Year and once in a week in Jan, until last week of Jan and since then nothing.

The weather has been lovely, would have thought it was more appealing to go viewing places now!

I'll be honest, my EA is the opposite (or has been until recently ) bringing peeps through the door who wanted different things to what our place could offer.

Fly Away, wow, how much under the asking price??!! Of course, paying the legal fees makes it all worthwhile. :curse:

We have thought about auctions, but am wondering if they are designed more for wrecks and ruins? Could be wrong, am I? Fly Away, your place sounds at the other end of that spectrum!!!

Fingers crossed Spaceys and Maisey, as well!!

Last edited by Sparky wife; Feb 12th 2008 at 4:09 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

evening all,

I know SparkyW, I know, it's a scandal. They take 10% off the value to give the price it will sell for then, take another 25% off. Just got a similarly low estimate for our flat. They aren't doing it to help people, they are doing it for profit. It's a desperate option I suppose. We've had LOWER offers from other companies.

Our house is suitable for redevelopment because we have a large plot - so it could go to auction although it isn't an ideal selling place for it. You're right, most houses aren't suitable for auction.

Can't understand why you have no more viewings - perhaps the EA has stopped making you a priority????

Good luck Spaceys!! 2 viewings in 1 day - make sure they know about each other - get a bit of competition going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.