Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Yeah I agree - or slap on a deadline for exchange.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I'd say go with it but keep your house on the market!
What she said!

Good luck Ozzieclare. It sounds like you have some interest at least now.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I agree, with the others...hope it works out for you Ozzieclare.

Well guys, not only did I wake up feeling pretty reasonable this morning, (not easy at 5.45am) but I also got some closure today which was what I really wanted.

So perhaps the chant kick started the chain of events that is going to unfold any day now...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Yeah, I agree, with the others...hope it works out for you Ozzieclare.

Well guys, not only did I wake up feeling pretty reasonable this morning, (not easy at 5.45am) but I also got some closure today which was what I really wanted.

So perhaps the chant kick started the chain of events that is going to unfold any day now...
So the chanting worked then???

Did the viewers say they wanted a garden, blah de blah or was it something else?

Hope you're feeling better now.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fly Away
So the chanting worked then???

Did the viewers say they wanted a garden, blah de blah or was it something else?

Hope you're feeling better now.
Perhaps, normally on a Monday morning I can't get up for work but felt quite clear headed today. Or perhaps it's the severe cutting down on alcohol that's done it!

Because I was at work, I didn't ask anything, just said thanks for calling. They've bought one up the other valley. It was the garden, (the viewers said at the time they viewed) and most probably the main road.

Am just not reading any papers at the moment, so I'm fine

How are you?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps, normally on a Monday morning I can't get up for work but felt quite clear headed today. Or perhaps it's the severe cutting down on alcohol that's done it!

Because I was at work, I didn't ask anything, just said thanks for calling. They've bought one up the other valley. It was the garden, (the viewers said at the time they viewed) and most probably the main road.

Am just not reading any papers at the moment, so I'm fine

How are you?
Good idea not to read the papers. I am limiting my exposure to articles about how the interest rate will drop half a percent in Feb.

At least you know it is the garden / road. If it is any consolation, our last house was on a busy main road and had no parking. We bought it as a child free couple. It wasn't a problem until we had our daughter. Then we built a garage in the back garden - accessed from another road. The busy road never bothered us once inside. Plus we were 2 mins walk from the shops / pub and park. We sold the house 3 years ago in a difficult market to the first childless couple who viewed. There must be something about a busy road which puts families off. So maybe ask the agent to market it as a couple / bachelor pad. No garden to worry about etc. Especially if it is in good condition after all your hard work, it should appeal to this market.

I'm not too bad today. Have been to Saundersfoot today - in this terrible weather. I have to say Port Talbot in the rain is a good enough reason to emmigrate on it's own.

We're probably going to drop the price of our house again to just under the next 100K so it will appear on more searches on the internet. Fingers crossed it works.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Yeah I agree - or slap on a deadline for exchange.
Hi Hayles,

How are you today? Hope whatever was bothering you has been sorted. If not, feel free to have a whinge pet.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Good idea not to read the papers. I am limiting my exposure to articles about how the interest rate will drop half a percent in Feb.

At least you know it is the garden / road. If it is any consolation, our last house was on a busy main road and had no parking. We bought it as a child free couple. It wasn't a problem until we had our daughter. Then we built a garage in the back garden - accessed from another road. The busy road never bothered us once inside. Plus we were 2 mins walk from the shops / pub and park. We sold the house 3 years ago in a difficult market to the first childless couple who viewed. There must be something about a busy road which puts families off. So maybe ask the agent to market it as a couple / bachelor pad. No garden to worry about etc. Especially if it is in good condition after all your hard work, it should appeal to this market.

I'm not too bad today. Have been to Saundersfoot today - in this terrible weather. I have to say Port Talbot in the rain is a good enough reason to emmigrate on it's own.

We're probably going to drop the price of our house again to just under the next 100K so it will appear on more searches on the internet. Fingers crossed it works.
Will keep everything crossed for you. Difficult time but I'm sure we'll all end up selling. Rate drops would be a step in the right direction.

This is the thing, we are torn as to how much we should drop, already have and bang per buck our place is very good value locally. Many under our price need at the very minimum a fair bit of work doing or a total renovation. We brought it for less, want to cover the costs of doing it up and solicitors, EA etc, but at the same time my argument is that we would have spent that money on renting, which we wouldn't have ever got back. I would ahem, really drop but at the same time we have been told that our price is very reasonable. Plus I'm a little impulsive...

It is good that we know that the garden is the issue rather than the house. I'm sure someone will appreciate it. They just don't know it yet!!! <Complete for a couple who would rather spend time in the bedroom than the garden!>

Saundersfoot is lovely, that is actually one area I would love to spend a weekend with OH. Port Talbot seems to be one of those places (IMO) that has either really good weather or is tipping it down!

Have you heard anything from those pesky viewers who cancelled twice? How's the carpet?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Hayles,

How are you today? Hope whatever was bothering you has been sorted. If not, feel free to have a whinge pet.
How's it going Gonnago? I've had my rant!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:29 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

i'm getting really bloody p***** off with this now, not had one sniff of a viewer since before christmas. I feel as though we cant move forward with anything until we sell sell sell, its sooooooo slow
everyone keeps saying "you watch, feb march it'll be gone"
I hope so
oh yeah, this bloody keeping your house spick and span is getting on my nerves too.

okay, its official I am a whinging cow, I think the OH loves it when I come on here as at least he doesnt have to listen to it
how's everyone esle feeling?
bec
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Will keep everything crossed for you. Difficult time but I'm sure we'll all end up selling. Rate drops would be a step in the right direction.

This is the thing, we are torn as to how much we should drop, already have and bang per buck our place is very good value locally. Many under our price need at the very minimum a fair bit of work doing or a total renovation. We brought it for less, want to cover the costs of doing it up and solicitors, EA etc, but at the same time my argument is that we would have spent that money on renting, which we wouldn't have ever got back. I would ahem, really drop but at the same time we have been told that our price is very reasonable. Plus I'm a little impulsive...

It is good that we know that the garden is the issue rather than the house. I'm sure someone will appreciate it. They just don't know it yet!!! <Complete for a couple who would rather spend time in the bedroom than the garden!>

Saundersfoot is lovely, that is actually one area I would love to spend a weekend with OH. Port Talbot seems to be one of those places (IMO) that has either really good weather or is tipping it down!

Have you heard anything from those pesky viewers who cancelled twice? How's the carpet?
It's hard to judge how low to drop isn't it? If your house is correctly priced, it seems unfair that you have to drop again. On the other hand, if you had the equity in the bank and were getting interest - plus the interest saved on the mortgage, how much a month is this? If you saved this for 6 months, plus the agro while you are away - is it worth it??? Only you can answer this.

LOL. Carpet is fine now. Scrubbed it every day for 5 days with carpet cleaner and it looks OK now. Thankfully, the blood didn't have time to dry in, so it eventually came out. The wallpaper has dried out and the leak has been fixed. However, there is now a smallish stain on the ceiling which I am waiting to paint when it is 100% dry. The stain is still shrinking - so obviously it is wet plaster and may just disappear - fingers crossed.

Bloomin repeat cancelling viewer hasn't made another appointment. Which is why we are thinking of reducing again. She was the only viewer since November - so the house obviously isn't grabbing people at this price. (Even though we are now SO low that we are at the minimum the EA said we should accept.)

You are not going to believe this, but we were in Saundersfoot to put another property up for sale. This one is part of our business. I really don't know if it will sell or not. If not, we will let it out for a year or two and then try again. We have another flat in Cardiff which is part of our business too and our tenant has just left. Next week I am going to slap some paint around and then get it valued. So that makes 3 properties we are now hoping to sell.... I will be on this thread forever. (This is what I do - boss builders around and sort out tenancies etc - which is why I work funny hours and spend a lot of time on the computer.)

I think Port Talbot in the sunshine is pretty grim, so today it was horrendous. I took some photos through the car window to remind me why I want to emmigrate. If they come out, I'll post them on BE.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by egghead4
i'm getting really bloody p***** off with this now, not had one sniff of a viewer since before christmas. I feel as though we cant move forward with anything until we sell sell sell, its sooooooo slow
everyone keeps saying "you watch, feb march it'll be gone"
I hope so
oh yeah, this bloody keeping your house spick and span is getting on my nerves too.

okay, its official I am a whinging cow, I think the OH loves it when I come on here as at least he doesnt have to listen to it
how's everyone esle feeling?
bec
LOL. Hi Bec!

We're all p'd off too. I am sick of cleaning. For the last 2 weeks we have a woman who keeps booking to view and then cancelling on the day. I am going insane trying to keep the place clean.

Come on here an whinge. We all understand - unfortunately. I hope to God, come Feb that things improve.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Bec,

It's so hard isn't it? I know what you mean about OH liking you coming on here...I think Sparky Hub feels the same way. We all know that times are tough right now, but we must, must remember that it is January...a notoriously bad month for selling places. FIL said to us a while back that he didn't think we'd get serious interest until April, yeah that would be typical.

Have you lost anything in the process of the tidying up? Things are getting hard to find as they are getting hidden all over. Had a good clear out on the weekend so that was a positive.

Blimmin' heck Fly Away, one place and I'm struggling to co ordinate, so hats off to you! Bet you have to take some deep breaths at time trying to sort everything out. But I would imagine it's fulfilling to do as well.

Glad the ceiling is nearly there...sounds like it just needs a tiny bit more time for the plaster to dry and then hey presto. Glad the carpet is ok, carpet does seem to be pretty hardcore, even when you think stains will be terrible. I have had to throw some white wine on red in some previous places, amazing it does work.

It does seem unfair, esp when we see places that are substantially priced higher than ours... Will have to have a good think about things, do you know, I said to someone the other day, we have too many options and I think this is the problem. We are getting awful confused.

Perhaps your estate agents have barred them, multiple offenders maybe? Cheeky sods, I know that much.

Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Hello my Beauties, right you asked for it....here goes........

Cant remember how much I said about the 'dropped kerb' last time but basically we put a hard surface to front of house but didnt drop kerb so didnt refer to it as off street parking....or so we thought, it turns out it was on EA sheet as having O.S.parking:curse: anyway its no good me being pissed off with them about that because I was responsible for checking the details and missed it....so now we have a problem, because the kerb is not dropped it isnt legally parking and the Buyers have put offer in on the basis that it is....with me?......Anyway have stressed about it ALL weekend and got out of bed with it playing on my mind determined to sort it, phoned Conveyancer before they even opened left message, phoned back 6 more times, really annoyed his secretary and the receptionist didnt even ask who it was when i phoned he returned my call at 5.15pm - and has suggested we offer and indemnity policy? which will cost us a couple of hundred pounds, I have suggeted that if that fails we offer £1k off price for them to be able to afford the dropped kerb on the basis that we exchange this week with a January completion....As he didnt call me till closing time it will be another day of waiting for hte phone to ring....

I am so pissed off with myself for not picking it up on the details but more so with the conveyancer for taking ALL day to get back to me when we are on a really tight time limit.

Sorry for moaning, im sick of listening to myself, but I am really scared that the buyers pull out - it isnt the easiest property to sell, and I couldnt bear to go back to square one.

Someone HELP ME
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Hello my Beauties, right you asked for it....here goes........

Cant remember how much I said about the 'dropped kerb' last time but basically we put a hard surface to front of house but didnt drop kerb so didnt refer to it as off street parking....or so we thought, it turns out it was on EA sheet as having O.S.parking anyway its no good me being pissed off with them about that because I was responsible for checking the details and missed it....so now we have a problem, because the kerb is not dropped it isnt legally parking and the Buyers have put offer in on the basis that it is....with me?......Anyway have stressed about it ALL weekend and got out of bed with it playing on my mind determined to sort it, phoned Conveyancer before they even opened left message, phoned back 6 more times, really annoyed his secretary and the receptionist didnt even ask who it was when i phoned he returned my call at 5.15pm - and has suggested we offer and indemnity policy? which will cost us a couple of hundred pounds, I have suggeted that if that fails we offer £1k off price for them to be able to afford the dropped kerb on the basis that we exchange this week with a January completion....As he didnt call me till closing time it will be another day of waiting for hte phone to ring....

I am so pissed off with myself for not picking it up on the details but more so with the conveyancer for taking ALL day to get back to me when we are on a really tight time limit.

Sorry for moaning, im sick of listening to myself, but I am really scared that the buyers pull out - it isnt the easiest property to sell, and I couldnt bear to go back to square one.

Someone HELP ME
Flukin Conveyancer.:curse::curse: Our solicitor always does this to us to. It takes a week for her to return a call and it is always at 5.15pm on a Friday, so you can't do anything until Monday.

The indemnity policy sounds the way to go. I bet the buyers would never bother to apply for the drop kirb anyway. Although, they may be using is as a ploy to get you to reduce the price???

I would recommend that you try and contact the buyers direct and explain the situation. Say it was the EAs mistake and you didn't pick it up and that you are doing the best you can to sort it out. You never know what the conveyancer is saying or how they are saying it.

Sending you K's if I can. I'm sure this isn't a deal breaker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.