Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Wikiposts

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:13 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
with the council tax, i am sure you still have to pay it if the house is in your name, wether you are in it or not.
i thought you got a 'free' period for a certain lenght of time?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:14 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
i doubt it. call up your local council and ask them.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

maybe you are really one and the same person - multiple personalities!!
if i was going to be a guy, not sure i would be a plumber called Dan?hmmm
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:18 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

i doubt it. call up your local council and ask them.
for us from http://www.blythvalley.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=9748

Exemptions
Certain properties are exempt and are not subject to council tax for each day they remain exempt.
Dwellings, including new dwellings, which have been unoccupied and unfurnished for up to six months

i will of course phone and check too
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:19 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Gonnago
if i was going to be a guy, not sure i would be a plumber called Dan?hmmm
what would you be??!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

you packed it already
oooooooooh nnoooooooo i havent!! its under the sink all back and dutifully polished now
i was only gone a little while - and look at all the posts you lot have done

somme - we have insured the full contents of our container - about £20k worth of stuff. £330 ish to cover old for new - well worth it as far as i am concerned.

daunted - you are FAR more organised than me. i have loads to do yet - what have you done about council tax etc? have you just told them the house will be empty? cant do gas and elec because i dont want to leave the house empty with no heating - so i guess i will have to leave that one with my parents
my problem is that i cant actually arrange anything as i dont know when the house is going to be sold and we will still have the bills and things to pay even when we leave - aarrgghh it is soooo complicated
I have rung everyone and told them the date i am movin out. I have to send final meter readings as i leave house which they will record but then new owner will ring when she moves in. Im just going to set timer to come on for couple of hours in morning to keep a bit of heat in. I have given my mums forwarding address who i am giving some signed cheques to so she can pay final bills when they arrive (mail is forwarded to her address) Like wise with the water, electric etc etc. COuncil tax does have to continue to be paid until new person moves in I have just set up a direct debit. Also credit cards i have set up direct debits to may minimum balance until house sells and i can clear them. Do you have someone who can handle the final bills for you - even if its just opening them and ringing you letting you know who wants what and when?? My mum, after the terrible time we had when i told her my plans, is now being really good and its helping her handle it all by knowing that i still need her help.

with the council tax, i am sure you still have to pay it if the house is in your name, wether you are in it or not.
This is right unfortunately
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

You should get a 6 months free period if it is on the market. Thereafter, it is at the discretion of the Council. this was true 4 years ago and even if it's changed, you should still get a reduction to half tax as you pay an extra amount if there is more than one person in residence.

Hope you get it sorted.

This is true here anyway.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:24 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Fly Away
You should get a 6 months free period if it is on the market. Thereafter, it is at the discretion of the Council. this was true 4 years ago and even if it's changed, you should still get a reduction to half tax as you pay an extra amount if there is more than one person in residence.

Hope you get it sorted.

This is true here anyway.
i think the reduction for one person is you pay less by a quarter - but cant remember now - it is a long time since i qualified for it
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

ooooooooooooh NOW they didnt tell me about a free period but she did mention a rebate Will call in again tomorrow to double check - would be nice for someone to pay some money IN to my account as oppose to OUT
WTFC on the other hand - what a palarva!! STILL not sure the woman understood what i was going on about :curse:
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

what would you be??!
i'd be Graz!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

i think the reduction for one person is you pay less by a quarter - but cant remember now - it is a long time since i qualified for it
Sorry that's what I meant. There is a basic tax for the house then a person charge in 2 quarters. I still think you should be exempt. If I were you, I would stop the DD and write to tell them the day you are flying out. Don't mention that you won't have sold it. Ask for a recalculated bill to your last day in the UK. Don't confuse them any more than necessary!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:29 am
sneaking a peek ...

i'd be Graz!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i'd be Graz!
I never knew you felt that way about Tiggs.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:30 am
sneaking a peek ...

Don't confuse them any more than necessary!
i think this applies to just about everyone when you are trying to emigrate
Old Nov 19th 2007, 3:31 am
sneaking a peek ...

I never knew you felt that way about Tiggs.
it was supposed to be a secret affair

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.