Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

£2000, I wish our EA fees were that much...Ours will be around £4000 plus VAT , so just hoping that they will want a sale as much as we do....They coming round at 2pm to take pics so will be cleaning up like mad today.... this is not how i expected to be spending my day off!!!!:curse:
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spaceys
£2000, I wish our EA fees were that much...Ours will be around £4000 plus VAT , so just hoping that they will want a sale as much as we do....They coming round at 2pm to take pics so will be cleaning up like mad today.... this is not how i expected to be spending my day off!!!!:curse:
We are trying to sell without an estate agent because we would have to pay considerably more than £4K and we don't think it is worth it! We are using Houseladder.co.uk

We don't have our visa yet but we would consider getting an EA if we couldn't sell by ourselves and we needed to get to Oz. Until then we value the flexibility.

We had a viewing last night at 6pm - 7.30pm. This meant the whole family could come at a good time for them. They had time to have a really good look, ask questions etc. We were able to establish a relationship with them. None of this is possible with an EA. We are hopeful they will put in an offer. If they do, we will be able to have dialogue directly with them rather than via a 3rd party to muddy the waters.

The last time we sold a house we found that the easiest way forward was talking direct to the buyers as the EA's were too lazy to sort out little issues which could have scuppered the sale.

Obviously, time will tell if we can do it by ourselves. We have had lots of viewers - some from different cities who found the details on Fish4 and have already accepted one offer - which fell through and have a couple who want to buy if they can sell theirs. We have suffered from the dip in the market here - apparently prices have fallen 3 months in a row - but then, so have our friends who are selling via an EA.

Go on make EA's extinct!!

Last edited by Up To Late; Sep 20th 2007 at 7:53 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

EA has said the people viewing our house tomorrow are looking at 2 others on the same road. They both have chains though!. Now would it be really bad of my hubby to mention that all the traffic from the estate goes out on the road past those houses . We don't *know* that they are looking at them so hubby though he would say that even though we are on a crescent, most traffic goes the other way so it is quiet, which it is. Plus they are building a new Estate on the other side which can get a bit noisy and will have an impact on the views. As this is the second viewing he is going to leave them to look around on their own. I have emptied and boxed up the stuff in the spare rooms and lugged it down to the garage!. Boxed up stuff we are not using in the other rooms as well, and have loads of packing boxes ready to make up. Hope they get the impression that we can move quickly, which is what they want, but that it doesn't look like we are to desperate, which we are not!!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:36 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

It has just taken me over half an hour to catch up with this thread - i have only been away a day!
Right here goes ...

Originally Posted by daunted
no news from last nights viewing but remember the people down road who wanted to rent it out??( you know the ones who asked about the loft being boarded) they asked to come see it tonight at 8pm - i said no its too late (brave of me hey) so agent is showing htem round tomorrow morning. The woman allegedly said to agent 'please dont sell it cos we really want it!' WELL put your cash were your mouth is MRS!!!!!!
sound very promising - you never know you might end up with two offers!

Originally Posted by spaceys
Well, EA came round the other night, and have decided to go with them, so he is coming tomorrow afternoon at 2 to take pics etc. So best get cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning.

Must admit thou house does look like a show house when its done

Am putting it on for £327995 and then see how we go
cant remember if have i said welcome to the thread? so ... Welcome to the thread!
you will be as demented as the rest of us in no time

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
my lordy we have a viewing,the first for 3 weeks....
wont hold my breathe
Lee
fingers crossed for you!

Originally Posted by Issie
Thats what we were waiting for......when we phoned EA as it had gone quiet they phoned them and it hadn't been done and it isn't either now as the buyers pulled out today

Give the EA a call to make sure everything is ok
Oh Issie not again :curse:
Really feel for you. I am sending positive vibes for a proper buyer for you very soon

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
Thanks, rang solicitor too so hopefully they will get their finger out!! Apparently they only appointed their solicitor 3-4 weeks ago!! Their buyer is also desperate to complete, just dont know what the hold up is!! I have found buyers number via 192.com but feel awkward ringing them. Hopefully will hear something tomorrow!!
That is a ridiculous amount of time to be waiting - i would definitely be setting some time scales to make sure things are progressing. I would be worried that they were dragging their heels because they were having second thoughts

Originally Posted by Gotooz1
Just logged on after the viewing. They loved the house yeah! Unfortunately they made noises about the price but we said we would negotiate for a quick sale. (We've worked out that we would save £1K per month if we sold and moved into a rental so a quick sale benefits us even though we don't have our visa yet!)

They seem to be truthful when they say they don't have to sell their house. They want to keep it to let out. I suggested we could let it off them!

I kept to the story that my husband's work contract was due to end in Dec, (which is true) and we didn't know where we would end up moving to, (which is true) so we would go into a rental to free our options. I also said that we would let the house out if we couldn't sell. Which is true but only out of desperation. LOL.

They said they wanted to bring the grandad to view as he would live with them - which is fair enough. Fingers crossed for an offer. please an offer, please....
sounds good
just think about your lowest price in advance - so when they come back with an offer you are already clear in your mind where you stand - that way you shouldnt feel pressured into accepting an offer that you later regret.

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
hey i'm not typing with my fingers

Lee

Originally Posted by daunted
yay!! and i just managed to jump upstairs and have a pee all without uncrossing my legs
far too much info Mandy

Ok apologies if i missed anyone - i must remember to read this thread more often
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a phonecall from solicitors that we have exchanged contracts!Thank goodness for that as we have the shippers coming on tuesday,the flights booked for 3 Oct and house rented in Oz for a month!

It is so true that the visa was easy compared to house selling.We always said that we would not give up our jobs,book a flight etc until we exchanged contracts but that would have been impossible.

Goodluck to everyone with selling their house. Hope things happen soon.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:45 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Hope they get the impression that we can move quickly, which is what they want, but that it doesn't look like we are to desperate, which we are not!!
Ah that fine line
i would certainly mention that you dont get the traffic past your house - that is a good selling point whether the viewers are looking at other houses in your street or not.

good luck
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by petensue
Just had a phonecall from solicitors that we have exchanged contracts!Thank goodness for that as we have the shippers coming on tuesday,the flights booked for 3 Oct and house rented in Oz for a month!

It is so true that the visa was easy compared to house selling.We always said that we would not give up our jobs,book a flight etc until we exchanged contracts but that would have been impossible.

Congratulations. Wow talk about cutting things fine. Bet you could imagine the *bing bong last call for the remaining passengers for flight.... to australia please make you way to gate 9 as plane is ready for departure* whilst your frantically calling the solicitor
Good luck and hope you enjoy you new life down under.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Congratulations. Wow talk about cutting things fine. Bet you could imagine the *bing bong last call for the remaining passengers for flight.... to australia please make you way to gate 9 as plane is ready for departure* whilst your frantically calling the solicitor
Good luck and hope you enjoy you new life down under.
Thank you for your nice message and I hope you get your visa soon.The bing bong bit really made me smile.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by petensue

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You must be soooo relieved. You are allowed to leave the thread when you complete or leave the country - which ever happens first!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

We've only gone and done it too!!! Completed!!! Yeahhhh!!!!!!

The trick was to use thumbscrews! After being faffed about for weeks and weeks we said (and backed it up by having new contract written and ready) that if completion did not happen on 21st Sept with the ££££ going into our bank account then the price of the house would go up by £10k non-negotiable. If buyer didnt like that then we would take house off the market and rent it out. That would have screwed everyone (including us, but i didnt tell them that!!!). Result, we have the dosh and the house is no longer owned by us.

Oooo oooo oooo the funky gibon. Ok, gonna start wingeing about the exchange rate now lol!

Fingers still crossed for all you guys and i'll pop back to this thread every now and then

Petandsue - congratulation to you guys as well!

Mat
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

sloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by walkermat

The trick was to use thumbscrews! After being faffed about for weeks and weeks we said (and backed it up by having new contract written and ready) that if completion did not happen on 21st Sept with the ££££ going into our bank account then the price of the house would go up by £10k non-negotiable. If buyer didnt like that then we would take house off the market and rent it out. That would have screwed everyone (including us, but i didnt tell them that!!!). Result, we have the dosh and the house is no longer owned by us.

Oooo oooo oooo the funky gibon. Ok, gonna start wingeing about the exchange rate now lol!

Fingers still crossed for all you guys and i'll pop back to this thread every now and then

Mat
Brill news just hope your luck rubs off a bit on us
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Sending out measures of House selling luck when needed. I've used a bit but theres a load more if anyone wants it
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:38 am
sneaking a peek ...

Mat
congratulations!!

you can definitely send some of that house selling luck this way - we need it
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Mat
YESS!!!

I must remember your thrumbscrew tactic!!

You have to start your own Whinging Pom Exchange Rate Thread. LOL! Hopefully we can all graduate to it!

Good luck for the big move!!!

If you have any house selling karma to spare, I'd be a willing recipient.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all

Well tidied house up like mad today and looked good I must say EA took some photos and said would send the house details when done to see what we think Only signing with them for 4 weeks so hopefully we will get some viewings in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.