Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Wikiposts

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
monday - you will definitely hear on monday
Thanks! I hope so!

Have you thought of PMing Mr Mover about your photos?? I was going to seal mine in plastic and put some of those moisture absorber thingies in. If I have time, I'll scan some too and take a selection of the precious ones and the negatives in my baggage. I have kept all the negatives, so I'm not AS worried although I do have some really old family photos from the 1890s onwards which I can't replace. I'm considering sending them recorded delivery to my cousin in Oz and collect them from her in person. Not sure though??
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:59 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Thanks! I hope so!

Have you thought of PMing Mr Mover about your photos?? I was going to seal mine in plastic and put some of those moisture absorber thingies in. If I have time, I'll scan some too and take a selection of the precious ones and the negatives in my baggage. I have kept all the negatives, so I'm not AS worried although I do have some really old family photos from the 1890s onwards which I can't replace. I'm considering sending them recorded delivery to my cousin in Oz and collect them from her in person. Not sure though??
i thought about sending them by courier - but then it would be just my luck for the parcel to dissappear and my container to be fine
i might split them up and give a selection to different relatives so they can each bring a few when they visit ...
trouble is our wedding album is REALLY heavy - dont suppose anyone will want to carry that in their bag
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

I hadn't thought about them not beingsafe in the container
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by somme
My son has just bought a slide and negative reader that puts it all on to disc , I will ask him about it if you want?

You may hear on Monday as they will viewing and talking over the week end, virtual K being sent

Enjoy the party, an hour away What a good mum you are.
Thanks Somme, we have looked at those, but the reviews for the 'cheap' ones (£100-£200) aren't very good. The good ones cost £600+ The companies which do them charge 30p a slide. We have 4000 plus slides!! That's over £1000!!! Let me know if your son's gadget works and which one it is!

Not such a good Mum, just feel I have to go. The party is in a friend's coffee shop and the little girl whose party it is, is another friend's daughter. Sadly my friend died 3 years ago and I feel I have to go as I want to be there to help her remember her Mum. Sorry, this is a bit depressing, I am a bit upset this morning as it will be the 3rd birthday without her Mum - she is only 8. Bless her.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i thought about sending them by courier - but then it would be just my luck for the parcel to dissappear and my container to be fine
i might split them up and give a selection to different relatives so they can each bring a few when they visit ...
trouble is our wedding album is REALLY heavy - dont suppose anyone will want to carry that in their bag
It's difficult isn't it?? Would you trust your oldest to bring them in his luggage? Maybe not.................
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Inter bank exchange rate up to $2.29 at least it is going up not down
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Somme, we have looked at those, but the reviews for the 'cheap' ones (£100-£200) aren't very good. The good ones cost £600+ The companies which do them charge 30p a slide. We have 4000 plus slides!! That's over £1000!!! Let me know if your son's gadget works and which one it is!

Will do

Not such a good Mum, just feel I have to go. The party is in a friend's coffee shop and the little girl whose party it is, is another friend's daughter. Sadly my friend died 3 years ago and I feel I have to go as I want to be there to help her remember her Mum. Sorry, this is a bit depressing, I am a bit upset this morning as it will be the 3rd birthday without her Mum - she is only 8. Bless her.
You have every right, lost my sister in law when my niece was only 8, she is 25 now, but was hard when she was small
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good news - hope it keeps going up. We did our financial declaration on 8.10 and it was 2.21, so on the up definately!

Are you going to leave your equity in the Uk or move it over in one lump??

Last edited by Fly Away; Nov 10th 2007 at 9:15 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You have every right, lost my sister in law when my niece was only 8, she is 25 now, but was hard when she was small
That's so sad. Did your brother remarry? My friends OH has met a girl and got engaged. I find it really hard. Nothing wrong with the girl - in fact she's lovely, just difficult to adjust.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good news - hope it keeps going up. We did our financial declaration on 8.10 and it was 2.21, so on the up definately!

Are you going to leave your equity in the Uk or move it over in one lump??
Move most of it as I forward bought at $2.50 back in August and you only get 6 month to move money without being taxed Still have quite a bit to exchange though, going to see financial adviser next week for advise, will post when I have seen him.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Move most of it as I forward bought at $2.50 back in August and you only get 6 month to move money without being taxed Still have quite a bit to exchange though, going to see financial adviser next week for advise, will post when I have seen him.
You were wise there! At least you know you have a big chunk of $$ to fall back on and you can move the rest when the rate improves or if you need it.

Wonder if you can claim a tax offset if the rate on the day you transfer is LOWER than on the day you emigrated???
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:21 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Hi Somme, i posted this question in its own thread, but got no replies?

No mates

Any chance of some guidance, it seems you know what you are talking about as you are/have done it?

1) Nationwide Flex Current Account
2) OZ Forex account
3) Bankwest Current Account
4) Building Society Account UK Based with the £10,000.00 in it

The exchange rate next week say for example hits 3.5 dollars to the 1 pound sterling.

I like that, so i want to exchange my money over at that rate. The trouble is i have to give 90 days notice or lose 90 days interest accrued on my deposit.

Can i buy a 90 days forward contract at the rate of 3.5 to 1 on this day it hits this new high, then in 90 days change my money over to Australian dollars.

Also how long does the process take, why i ask is if you move a large sum, you stand to lose a large sum in interest.

1- Move money from building society account to your Nationwide Flex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

2- Move money from your Nationwide Flex account to your OZ Forex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

3- Move money from your OZ Forex account to your Bankwest Current Account How Long?

4- Move money from your Bankwest Current Account to your higher rate savings account How Long?

Quite a lengthy process, could take all in all aweek to complete?

Does this sound about right? This is just an example, figures are artificial.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:57 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't thought about them not beingsafe in the container
sorry - didnt mean to worry you

It's difficult isn't it?? Would you trust your oldest to bring them in his luggage? Maybe not.................
erm let me think ...
actually he has enough stuff to bring with him anyway - dont expect he will have space.

fingers crossed it keeps going up - unfortunately i was not switched on enough to book at 2.5 so i am still hoping that it is going to go up at least a bit more.

That's so sad. Did your brother remarry? My friends OH has met a girl and got engaged. I find it really hard. Nothing wrong with the girl - in fact she's lovely, just difficult to adjust.
yes it is a difficult thing to adjust too - but it is also a postive thing for for him and his daughter.
i will be thinking of you and them

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; Nov 10th 2007 at 10:03 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:02 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Hi Somme, i posted this question in its own thread, but got no replies?

No mates

Any chance of some guidance, it seems you know what you are talking about as you are/have done it?

1) Nationwide Flex Current Account
2) OZ Forex account
3) Bankwest Current Account
4) Building Society Account UK Based with the £10,000.00 in it

The exchange rate next week say for example hits 3.5 dollars to the 1 pound sterling.

I like that, so i want to exchange my money over at that rate. The trouble is i have to give 90 days notice or lose 90 days interest accrued on my deposit.

Can i buy a 90 days forward contract at the rate of 3.5 to 1 on this day it hits this new high, then in 90 days change my money over to Australian dollars.

Also how long does the process take, why i ask is if you move a large sum, you stand to lose a large sum in interest.

1- Move money from building society account to your Nationwide Flex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

2- Move money from your Nationwide Flex account to your OZ Forex account, so BACS two days, or CHAPS one day plus £30.00.

3- Move money from your OZ Forex account to your Bankwest Current Account How Long?

4- Move money from your Bankwest Current Account to your higher rate savings account How Long?

Quite a lengthy process, could take all in all aweek to complete?

Does this sound about right? This is just an example, figures are artificial.

Thanks for any feedback.
cant really help much as i havent done this yet - but felt complelled to at least say hi and you can be mates with us

one thing i do know is that if you book a forward rate with ozforex you need to pay a deposit (5% i think) and you will get a slightly lower exchange rate than if you paid up straight away. If you have a log in you can try different combinations to see what difference it makes for you.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:16 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

cant really help much as i havent done this yet - but felt complelled to at least say hi and you can be mates with us

one thing i do know is that if you book a forward rate with ozforex you need to pay a deposit (5% i think) and you will get a slightly lower exchange rate than if you paid up straight away. If you have a log in you can try different combinations to see what difference it makes for you.

Thanks very much, can be a lonely forum sometimes, "the little child standing on her own in the corner of the playground, a sight i will never forget as a child".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.