Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Tiggs - where are you?? We need details!

I am off to hang some wallpaper in a minute. (Replacing a damaged piece not a big deal - but it may just be the difference between a sale or not!!)

So you have to tell us now before I go. LOL.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:45 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Guys i am stil thinking of you all....but at the moment cannot face contrubuting to the thread
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:50 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

OK, viewed the house, nice, needed work ( wondedered why only 1 photo - now I Know why ), expected to take on 2 more dogs with prop, .................. needed more cleanining, willing to offer them a price £20K below asking

before you all shoot me down, you didn't see it.! Bed 5/loft wasn't "approved"
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Driver_Once_More
OK, viewed the house, nice, needed work ( wondedered why only 1 photo - now I Know why ), expected to take on 2 more dogs with prop, .................. needed more cleanining, willing to offer them a price £20K below asking

They shouldn't be advertising it as a bedroom then - that's illegal!! Can only be described as a boarded loft space.

Can't believe it needed cleaning. UGH. come and view ours - they are all spotless!

£20k under is 15% below - they may not accept but it's worth a shot if you can emphasise that the loft room will need work to get it up to building regs standard.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Issie
Guys i am stil thinking of you all....but at the moment cannot face contrubuting to the thread
Hi Issie,

Hope things are going OK for you. We are still the same old moaning lot, so you are probably right to maintain your sanity!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:03 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Tiggs - where are you?? We need details!

I am off to hang some wallpaper in a minute. (Replacing a damaged piece not a big deal - but it may just be the difference between a sale or not!!)

So you have to tell us now before I go. LOL.
sorry - been having probs booking flight for eldest son (he is flying out in january and we cant book his flight online because he has a different surname to the rest of us )

ok we have sold to first couple, we fly from newcastle to melbourne (via dubai) on 6th december - then driving from melbourne to adelaide (aiming to be there for the 13th)
did i miss anything?!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:10 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

They shouldn't be advertising it as a bedroom then - that's illegal!! Can only be described as a boarded loft space.

Can't believe it needed cleaning. UGH. come and view ours - they are all spotless!

£20k under is 15% below - they may not accept but it's worth a shot if you can emphasise that the loft room will need work to get it up to building regs standard.
Originally Posted by Driver_Once_More

trying to prove that something meets building regs after it has been completed can be a nightmare.
the buildings inspector is going to want to see under the flooring to check the beams and probably behind the plasterboard to check structure/insulation. Does the loft have a fixed staircase? otherwise you can have problems with that too.

On top of that you have additional things to consider such as doors between two flights of stairs need to be fire doors etc.

I would say if it hasnt been done properly in the first place then you want to completely ignore that room when you make your decision about whether to buy.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
sorry - been having probs booking flight for eldest son (he is flying out in january and we cant book his flight online because he has a different surname to the rest of us )

ok we have sold to first couple, we fly from newcastle to melbourne (via dubai) on 6th december - then driving from melbourne to adelaide (aiming to be there for the 13th)
did i miss anything?!
All sounds good apart from the surname thing - they like to make things difficult for you don't they?? Is your oldest staying in the UK for Christmas?

How exciting - Christmas in Adelaide! Are you going to do your Christmas shopping when you get there? Much easier than trying to transport stuff I should think!

GOR will be fabulous at that time of year and I don't think the schools will have broken up so it should be quite quiet. I forgot to say that we booked accomodation 1 night ahead when we went at Easter. BUT we did have trouble getting a 3 bed room - so you may want to book to make sure you get a 4 bed room. They do exist but there are fewer of them. Having said that, you could squeeze into a 2 or 3 bed if the hotel don't mind.

Did the first couple up their offer or did you stick to the original?

Anyway GREAT NEWS!! Go out and celebrate tonight!

trying to prove that something meets building regs after it has been completed can be a nightmare.
the buildings inspector is going to want to see under the flooring to check the beams and probably behind the plasterboard to check structure/insulation. Does the loft have a fixed staircase? otherwise you can have problems with that too.

On top of that you have additional things to consider such as doors between two flights of stairs need to be fire doors etc.

I would say if it hasnt been done properly in the first place then you want to completely ignore that room when you make your decision about whether to buy.
Good points Tiggs. Also your mortgage company may not lend on a property that does not meet building regs or doesn't have planning permission! EEK!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:40 am
sneaking a peek ...

All sounds good apart from the surname thing - they like to make things difficult for you don't they?? Is your oldest staying in the UK for Christmas?

How exciting - Christmas in Adelaide! Are you going to do your Christmas shopping when you get there? Much easier than trying to transport stuff I should think!

GOR will be fabulous at that time of year and I don't think the schools will have broken up so it should be quite quiet. I forgot to say that we booked accomodation 1 night ahead when we went at Easter. BUT we did have trouble getting a 3 bed room - so you may want to book to make sure you get a 4 bed room. They do exist but there are fewer of them. Having said that, you could squeeze into a 2 or 3 bed if the hotel don't mind.

Did the first couple up their offer or did you stick to the original?

Anyway GREAT NEWS!! Go out and celebrate tonight!

Good points Tiggs. Also your mortgage company may not lend on a property that does not meet building regs or doesn't have planning permission! EEK!

the surname thing is proving to be a BIG problem!! The only way we can book a ticked for A is to book it online and choose the pay at office option (the nearest office is manchester ) then we are going to have to phone the office and get them to hold the ticket while we post them a cheque and then wait for the cheque to clear.
the most annoying part is that if his dad was booking the ticket (same surname) he could just do it all online and get an electronic ticket as per normal :curse:
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the surname thing is proving to be a BIG problem!! The only way we can book a ticked for A is to book it online and choose the pay at office option (the nearest office is manchester ) then we are going to have to phone the office and get them to hold the ticket while we post them a cheque and then wait for the cheque to clear.
the most annoying part is that if his dad was booking the ticket (same surname) he could just do it all online and get an electronic ticket as per normal :curse:
I'm confused as I have a different surname to my dter and I booked our air tickets, (on the phone) for all 3 of us??? I am the only one with my surname. They never queried it - I paid by credit card over the phone??? We flew Emirates too. We booked through the flight centre.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:50 am
sneaking a peek ...

I'm confused as I have a different surname to my dter and I booked our air tickets, (on the phone) for all 3 of us??? I am the only one with my surname. They never queried it - I paid by credit card over the phone??? We flew Emirates too. We booked through the flight centre.
it is fine if you book the tickets together as you are one of the party so they will take your credit card.
as A is travelling on his own they will only accept payment by a credit card held by a different person if they have the same surname
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

OMG Tiggs - why is it everytime I flounce off to eat you have a major development?

CONGRATULATIONS on the house - fantastic - does that mean we can steal your house selling karma?

Are you going to warn Adelaide about the rest of us put in a good word wont you.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:17 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Gonnago
OMG Tiggs - why is it everytime I flounce off to eat you have a major development?

CONGRATULATIONS on the house - fantastic - does that mean we can steal your house selling karma?

Are you going to warn Adelaide about the rest of us put in a good word wont you.
thanks
you are safe to go and eat now (at least for today!) dont think there are going to be any more developements this afternoon.

EDITED to ADD : i will start spreading around the house selling k this evening as soon as i get a moment!!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Whinging Pom House seller

thanks
you are safe to go and eat now (at least for today!) dont think there are going to be any more developements this afternoon.

EDITED to ADD : i will start spreading around the house selling k this evening as soon as i get a moment!!

Good luck to you I am soooo jealous. Can I aks why you chose Adelaide. We are currently planning to live in Perth but after speaking to a friend who lived there for 4 yrs he saids he preffered Adelaide. We have only been to Perth so cant compare.

Amanda x
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:40 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Amanda&Phil
Good luck to you I am soooo jealous. Can I aks why you chose Adelaide. We are currently planning to live in Perth but after speaking to a friend who lived there for 4 yrs he saids he preffered Adelaide. We have only been to Perth so cant compare.

Amanda x
thanks - it has been a tough week (our previous 'buyers' dropped out last week) so i am feeling a little numb about everything today - i am sure it will sink in tomorrow!

Graz was offered a job in adelaide (the same day as our 'buyers' dropped out ) so it was more like adelaide chose us!
The prices of houses etc helped in the decision too though - in perth we could never have affored to buy - but in adelaide house prices are quite a bit lower (at the moment anyway).
We felt Melbourne was too big a city for us (although we would have gone there if a job had come up) and i am not good with humidity so brisbane was out!

Just want to get on our way now - there has been far too much hanging about!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.