Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old May 14th 2004, 2:34 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I've got friends flying in from the UK for a visit.
They are bringing supplies of mushy peas and Jaffa cakes.
*slobbers*
So I'm not going to be around as much next week - but I'm sure you chaps will make sure this thread keeps wood.

Couple of things before I disappear for a bit:

New site launched: http://www.mjsinnocent.net/ which you can purchase "Michael is innocent" apparel including:

They don't have kid sizes yet though...

and taking this thread even more off tangent..

"Saddam Hussein's lawyer is set to file a suit for war crimes against Britain at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, the news agency AFP said."
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...135099,00.html
Ah you gotta luv him. Knew how to keep peace in that place.
Georgie boy should tap him up for advice on how to get the citizens back in line. I know they've already started with the torturing, but when it came to being a dictator, ol' Sadders was the best...
Old May 14th 2004, 7:52 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Polaris_x
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Just kidding. I could give a shit about soccer. Just thought I'd be a dickhead yank for a minute.

Go England! I hope the U.S. sucks at soccer forever!
It's football in here mate...you know that sport that is actually played with the foot!
Old May 16th 2004, 7:41 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

SPL season comes to an end...Hearts won, Rangers almost lost again, Larsson cried.

Lots of playoffs in Anglia and Scotia...but no one really cares.
Man I can feel the end of season depression come over me all ready...maybe the birds walking around in skimpy clothing on campus will ease that tomorrow...doubt it
Old May 16th 2004, 10:28 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
SPL season comes to an end.
Good riddance. I am glad to see the back of it! I look forward to reading about the off field antics and transfer news over the coming months but I am not looking forward to next season at all.
Old May 17th 2004, 1:32 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the Arse went unbeaten for the whole season, a feat that last happend in 1888/89 by Preston. I think they only had to play 20 games or something....

Great season, but cant help feeling a little dissapointed as it could have been so much better... God I sound like a Man U fan... Roll On Euro 2004
Old May 17th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Unbeaten due to that diving shite Pires back in September. Funny how he never made either trip to Fratton this season lol
Old May 18th 2004, 5:47 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

So what do the England fans here think of Sven's Euro 2004 squad? Any controversional inclusions / exclusions?

I'm surprised that Heskey is included ahead of Smith.

Interesting to note that Beckham and Hargreaves are the only foreign based players.
Old May 18th 2004, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by DaveC
So what do the England fans here think of Sven's Euro 2004 squad? Any controversional inclusions / exclusions?

I'm surprised that Heskey is included ahead of Smith.

Interesting to note that Beckham and Hargreaves are the only foreign based players.
Who else would you have put in that was based overseas?

Cant see any surprises, Heskey makes it in regardless of what he does, think sven puts him cos he is so different to other players i.e a striker that doesnt score???!!!! I think he is shit, so does everyone else, even liverpool fans think he is crap, when the england selection peeps cant see it I dont know?

I reckon as long as we dont get raped by the french we will do ok, england always raises its game against big sides and does badly against the crap sides, so will be interesting to see that first game. The French have a lot to prove after the World Cup so I dont expect them to lie down.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Must be mixed loyalties for all u arse fans out there ! Seeing as most of your squad will be in the french squad.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Must be mixed loyalties for all u arse fans out there ! Seeing as most of your squad will be in the french squad.
Yeah, Will be nice to see Sol and Ashley Cole playing against Pires, Henry, Viera. Our squad just dosent compare to the French.

Though we did have one of the best defenses in the World cup, I know we have a pretty good one now, and everyone has played with or against Henry so that at least eliminates some of the threat.

My loyalties lie with my country first though.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:16 pm
100% Pure

Originally posted by mattbutt
Who else would you have put in that was based overseas?

Cant see any surprises, Heskey makes it in regardless of what he does, think sven puts him cos he is so different to other players i.e a striker that doesnt score???!!!! I think he is shit, so does everyone else, even liverpool fans think he is crap, when the england selection peeps cant see it I dont know?

I reckon as long as we dont get raped by the french we will do ok, england always raises its game against big sides and does badly against the crap sides, so will be interesting to see that first game. The French have a lot to prove after the World Cup so I dont expect them to lie down.
I had it in my mind that there used to be more English players who played for foreign clubs. I was going to suggest that, as there were only 2 such players in the Euro 2004 squad, this lent weight to the argument that the EPL is the best in Europe.

Turns out I was completely wrong (about the players) according to this website.
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/default.htm
The last time there was a significant number of players from foreign clubs was the 1990 world cup squad (5 players, 4 of them were from Rangers).

So to cut a long story short, not very interesting at all!

It's not just the 4 French players at Arsenal, Scrumpy, there are 2 from Man U and 3 Chelsea players included in the French squad.

Ha, I'd forgotten about France's disastrous defence of their World Cup.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by DaveC

Ha, I'd forgotten about France's disastrous defence of their World Cup.
was just looking at the french squad, tres formidable (or how ever its spelt)

reckon either portugal or france to win, with a little luck i think enggggerrrrlannd will be right there though.
Old May 19th 2004, 5:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mattbutt
with a little luck i think enggggerrrrlannd will be right there though.
With luck I presume you mean a huge influx of talent?
Old May 19th 2004, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by manc1976
With luck I presume you mean a huge influx of talent?
There is a lot of talent,

Beckham
Gerrad
Ashley Cole
Sol Campbel
Frank Lampard

Joe Cole
Keiron Dyer

To name a few
Old May 19th 2004, 7:33 am
100% Pure

Default UEFA Cup Final Update

43rd Minute, Barthez brings down a Valencia player. He went in with the feet so it's difficult to tell if he was sent off for a professional foul or violent conduct.

Penalty!

20 year old sub keeper comes on and .......is beaten.

1-0 Valencia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.