Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old May 24th 2004, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Gerard.

On the streets of Liverpool in 2001 you would have thought Houllier was a God. Never in my lifetime have I seen so many people celebrating on the streets.

I got stuck in a traffic Jam for ages on Queens Drive and everyone was just waving flags and tooting horns to welcome the lads home as they did their tour around Liverpool on the bus.

It was a truly fantastic atmosphere and Houllier was championed above all.

I'm sad to see him go. My hubby will be depressed all day now

So long, farewell....
Old May 24th 2004, 3:58 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adieu Gerard

It was never going to work with Gerrard Houllier and Stephen Gerrard both at Liverpool. If he had been Jerry Houllier, that might have been a little less confusing "Gerrard says Gerrard is the best thing to happen to Liverpool"

Over on the Liverpool message boards, here are the fans' picks for Houllier's replacement:

Martin O' Neill (Celtic) 42%
Jose Mourinho (Porto) 23%
Rafa Benitez (Valencia) 21%
Fabio Capello (Roma) 7%
Kenny Dalglish (Playing Golf) 6%
A bunch of others including, Strachen, Curbishly, O'Neill, Ron Atkinson, Wenger and Maradonna make up the other 1%

Here are the latest William Hill odds:

Rafa Benitez 4/9

Gordon Strachan 7/2

Martin O' Neill 9/2

Alan Curbishley 5/1

Jose Mourinho 12/1

Steve Mclaren 20/1

O Hitzfeld 20/1

Claudio Ranieri 25/1

Sammy Lee 33/1

Phil Thompson 33/1

Kevin Keegan 33/1

Kenny Dalglish 33/1

David O' Leary 33/1

J Toshack 33/1

Sam Allardyce 33/1

Roy Evans 100/1
Old May 24th 2004, 4:41 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I have to wonder about Beckhams future in Madrid after their piss poor showing...5 of the top 10 players in the world and all. Maaybe time for a blood-letting/firesale?
Old May 24th 2004, 7:19 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

[Afternoon pie eaters. Back after my sabbatical.]

Suppose they gave an FA Cup final and nobody watched...?

Completly forgot about the game last Saturday but I was taking my friends back to the airport. Doubt I would have watched/listened anyway even if I had the opportunity.
The FC final I called it - Forgone Conclusion.
Convenient for both sets of fans though - they could take the same trains to get to Cardiff.

Both of the finals were predictable actually, but at least in the Scotia one Dunf had a shot on goal.

We've been talking about Houl getting the boot for weeks now.
Another forgone conclusion.
Ranieri is hanging on in there at Chelski at the mo.
Might not be the next for the ejector seat after all ?
Or could he even end up jumping ship to Lidipool ?

Couple of names I mentioned a while back:
Lippi - ex Juventus.
Hitzfeld - who quit at Bayern München.

Lippi is not in the betting. Stick a quid each way on that one ?
Hitzfeld has a stunning track record, but would the Scousers let dem Germans in ? They bombed our chippy don't forget.
(What I'm getting at there is the fans and the press having a field day if he's in charge.)

Scouse friends who I'm in touch with want to get back to the boot room and have old big nose take charge with Sammy Lee as his number 2. (Something I mentioned and like to see as well) But he's not a big name and could not attract the big names to the club.

Pete - you never said who your quid is on.
Don't say O'Neill. His name is always brought up every time a manager is given the boot.
Old May 24th 2004, 7:22 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Here a name that hasn't entered the thought process.

Dave Jones of Wolves.
Got Stockport Promoted in 2 years
Got Wolves Promoted in 2 years (ok, subsequently relegated.....but we all knew that would happen.)

and he is a scouser.
Dave Jones made a welcome return to the Premiership three-and-a-half years after having his short spell in the top flight brought to a premature end at Southampton.

The likeable Merseysider finally ended Wolverhampton Wanderers' 19-year exile from the top division as they beat Sheffield United in the First Division play-off final at the Millennium Stadium.

Jones had signed a three-and-a-half year contract at Molineux in January 2001, succeeding Colin Lee, who had been dismissed the previous month.

After a highly publicized and unfortunate twelve month absence from the game, he returned with an enthusiasm and desire to lift the sleeping Midlands giants back to the top flight and make a speedy personal return to Premiership management.

Jones spent two-and-a-half largely successful years in the Premiership with Southampton, and was even named as the LMA's Manager of the Year in his first season at the helm, before being given a leave of absence to fight a court case relating to charges of child abuse brought against him over allegations from his employment in a children's home in Liverpool ten years earlier.

Although the allegations proved to be unfounded and the case again him was dropped, Jones was replaced at The Dell by Glenn Hoddle and he was left feeling aggrieved at the way in which his career had been adversely affected.

His greatest achievements, prior to taking Wolves into the Barclaycard Premiership, came at Edgeley Park where he led Stockport County into the First Division and also to a League Cup semi-final in 1997.

Born in Liverpool, David Jones commenced his footballing career at Goodison Park as a fifteen-year-old schoolboy. Having signed professional terms for Everton, he became a virtual ever-present for the Toffees until 1981 when he moved to Coventry for 275,000. A strong, commanding centre half, Jones stayed at Highfield Road for three years before suffering a serious knee injury. He recovered sufficiently to spend two seasons with Hong Kong side Seiko FC.

Despite being advised to stop playing, he managed to play two more seasons, this time at Preston, before finally hanging up his boots with over 300 league games to his credit and having achieved international recognition for England at Youth and under-21 levels.

He then enjoyed some managerial experience with non-league sides such as Southport, Mossley and Morecambe before joining the Edgeley Park staff as chief coach in July 1990, becoming a key member of the managerial set up at Stockport County and taking over the hot seat in March 1995.

Jones's excellent record with The Hatters - earning promotion to Division One - prompted Southampton to offer him the chance to manage at the top level following the departure of Graeme Souness in 1997.

The unfortunate circumstances in which the Evertonian's tenure at The Dell came to an end made him the perfect appointment for Wolves, who were also desperate to return to the top flight.

Jones was determined to succeed where several before him have failed in gaining promotion to the Premiership with the famous Molineux club.

They seemed destined for an immediate return in his first full season in charge, 2001/02. With a quarter of the season remaining, Wolves were 11 points clear of West Bromwich Albion and appeared to be battling it out with Manchester City for the First Division title.

However, a terrible loss of form in the final stages of their camapaign allowed their Black Country rivals to snatch the second automatic promotion place behind Keegan's men, who went on to become champions.

Forced to settle for a play-off berth, Wolves were beaten by Norwich City - who had secured sixth place in Divsion One on goal difference on the last day of the season - leaving Jones to reflect on what might have been and look ahead to the following season.

Although automatic promotion never looked on the cards in 2002/03, Wolves managed to secure a place in the play-offs once again, and their form going into the end-of-season shoot-out was significantly better than the previous year.

Jones guided his men through a two-legged semi final with Reading to set up a Cardiff meeting with Sheffield United.

Goals from Mark Kennedy, Nathan Blake and Kenny Miller put Wanderers three up at half time, and they held on in the second period to claim their place in the Barclaycard Premiership.

Jones was delighted to be back in the top flight, along with a club who had been waiting to return for so long, and his next ambition was to ensure they both stayed there.

Last edited by manc1976; May 24th 2004 at 7:32 am.
Old May 24th 2004, 7:34 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Here a name that hasn't entered the thought process.

Dave Jones of Wolves.
Got Stockport Promoted in 2 years
Got Wolves Promoted in 2 years (ok, subsequently relegated.....but we all knew that would happen.)

and he is a scouser.
Now there's a name out of left field.
You'll have to get in touch with William Hill and get a price on that.
A quid at 3000-1 ?
Old May 24th 2004, 7:47 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Now there's a name out of left field.
You'll have to get in touch with William Hill and get a price on that.
A quid at 3000-1 ?
what is the price on him then? anything over 1000-1 might be worth a punt.

Don't reckon he's big enough name, plus as the article states, he a previous tenant of Gwladys St though.
Old May 24th 2004, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
I never understood how she ever got into the music industry. In the spice girls she looked so out of place and awkward...and that one stupid pose she had in every photo. She looks like she should work in a salon or behind the makeup counter in boots...talentless tart regardless.

She studied at the "zoolander" school of modelling dont you know!!!
Old May 24th 2004, 1:45 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Has anyone looked at UEFA.com on Realplayer. It's saying it'll have live audio and highlights of Euro2004 and at the moment it's not showing any kind of payment required........

Wonder if it'll stay like that?
Old May 24th 2004, 1:48 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
I guess I have to wonder about Beckhams future in Madrid after their piss poor showing...5 of the top 10 players in the world and all. Maaybe time for a blood-letting/firesale?
...they've just booted their manager, so you could be right:

"Real sack Queiroz
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/3742779.stm
Carlos Queiroz's reign ended after five straight defeats and with Real finishing only 4th in the table and no silverware in the cabinet.
He has been replaced by former Spain national team boss Jose Antonio Camacho"

Did a Brian Kidd.
He was number 2 to Fergie until last summer when he took the Madrid job.
Too much too soon.

Tomorrow's Sun:
(is incredibly thin, I'm afraid )
"*BB bosses made male hopefuls snog each other in a game of truth or dare - and some females also had to do it, but complained.
*Leanne Battersby actress Jane Danson embarrassed by pix of her skirt blowing up and revealing her bare arse.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2004240889,00.html
*Littlejohn: Twat
*Harry Potter star Rupert Grint says "I had to hold hands and hug with Hermione, I'm very awkward with romance scenes"
(He's 15 now and not getting wood ?)
*Kit Kat and Rolo to be launched in low-carb versions for Atkins freaks.
*Mission Imposhible 2 - Skeletor is being relaunched in the US as Posh Spice Victoria Beckham - in a bid to crack America.
*Morrissey snubbed the after-gig party at the Lowry Hotel - after five minutes - to meet his pal Peter Kay in Chorlton.
*Pete Doherty begs fans for £1,000 - his management have limited his cash. He promises to do a gig for the fan who stumps up the cash
*Joanna Taylor - of Hollyoaks and Mersey Beat - pictured topless in new sci-fi thriller Post Impact. She does have an impressive chest.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004240890,00.html
*Tommy Vance takes over from Roger Cook in Hell's Kitchen.
*George and Lynne: Topless Lynne waits up for a late-returning George"

Another one for the managerial merry-go-round:
Did Deschamps (the ex-midget midfielder at Chelski) could come back as a coach. He's taken Monaco to the Champs League final and says that he's happy where he is, but if the Russian flashes his rubles...
Old May 24th 2004, 2:18 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Pete - you never said who your quid is on.
Don't say O'Neill. His name is always brought up every time a manager is given the boot.
It has to be a big name. All due respect to Curbishley, I don't think he is a big enough name. He has done wonders with Charlton, though.

Mourinho would be nice, but it seems he is destined for Chelski.

Benitez's agent says there has been no contact from Liverpool, but that was from the same soccernet article that yesterday said Houllier is "100% certain he will be in charge next season"

I'll say what I said before. Alan Hansen would be my choice. He has a brilliant football mind. However, I doubt he would leave his cushy BBC gig.

My quid is going on Benitez. Not the best odds though, I'd only make 1.44 on my 1.00 bet (including my stake!)
Old May 24th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by RoB1833
Has anyone looked at UEFA.com on Realplayer. It's saying it'll have live audio and highlights of Euro2004 and at the moment it's not showing any kind of payment required........

Wonder if it'll stay like that?

What is the link ?
Old May 24th 2004, 4:14 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

...they've just booted their manager, so you could be right:

"Real sack Queiroz
Is it National Manager Sacking Day or something? I've been busy hanging out with a mate from the UK who came over for a long weekend. First thing I discover upon logging on t'internet is that Aberdeen have sacked their manager.

At least someone got hired, I see Hibs have signed Tony Mowbray to be their new boss!
Old May 24th 2004, 8:21 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
What is the link ?
Don't know whether you ave to be in the latest version of RealPlayer.

http://sports.guide.real.com/soccer
Old May 24th 2004, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for that, seems it is a 14.95 euros one off payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.