Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old May 11th 2004, 2:24 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

got my own *****ing problems with that little shit webbie,
reporting him to his ISP as we speak.
Old May 11th 2004, 2:35 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
got my own *****ing problems with that little shit webbie,
reporting him to his ISP as we speak.
Dave gave me a heads up. Must have took him best part of an hour to post all that ! We were speculating who it was. Thought it was shadow but it turned out to be the boy feind.
Nice.

Give him a good seeing too.

(*ahem*....maybe that isn't the best turn of phrase for this moment. )
Old May 11th 2004, 4:50 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

On a happier note

first game of the season for Manc's Orange Army last night.
my kids ran out 3-0 winners.

Can't decide whether or not we play more like Holland, probably more like Blackpool though
Attached Thumbnails British Football thread-coach.jpg  
Old May 11th 2004, 5:52 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
On a happier note

first game of the season for Manc's Orange Army last night.
my kids ran out 3-0 winners.

Can't decide whether or not we play more like Holland, probably more like Blackpool though
The Thailand PM has called and he wants to invest 56p in your team.

Edit:
Sorry...update on that and some corrections:

It was actually a Thailand Pie Maker and 56 pasties

Last edited by Webbie; May 11th 2004 at 5:57 am.
Old May 11th 2004, 7:05 am

I know everyone doesn't give a flying **** about the footie now, thanks to all the respective teams settling the title and relegation issues two weeks early, but I still give a **** dammit !

Annoying that the title race or relegations didn't go to the last week of the season though... It's a bit like watching the F1 now. You know who's won and get annoyed with them keep winning.

ANYhoots...
Selected Weekend Fixtures:
(a lazy copy'n paste from the Beeb)

Tue May 11 2004
Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier League
Dundee Utd v Dunfermline 19:45

Wed May 12 2004
FIFA World Cup Oceania Qualifying Group One
Solomon_Islands v Cook_Islands 04:00
Tahiti v New_Caledonia 06:00

Barclaycard Premiership
Southampton v Newcastle 20:00

Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier League
Dundee v Livingston 19:45
Kilmarnock v Aberdeen 19:45
Motherwell v Celtic 19:45
Rangers v Hearts 19:45

Thu May 13 2004
FIFA World Cup Oceania Qualifying Group Two
American_Samoa v Vanuatu 02:00
Fiji v Papua_New_Guinea 04:00

Fri May 14 2004
Nationwide Football League Division One Play-Offs Semi-Final First Leg:
Crystal Palace v Sunderland 20:00
Some mighty teams clashing in the World Cup quals.
Newkie can still grab that Champs League spot from Lidipool, so a slight interest there.
Can Aberdeen remember how to win a match ?
Will Hearts steal a win from the blue noses ?
1st Division - I fancy Sunderland for the playoff final.
Old May 11th 2004, 11:54 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right a couple of things.
What aggro did I miss with our mate manc?
American Samoa - mighty indeed, do they still hold the record for biggest thrashing in International Football? Was the Aussies that whipped them 25 nil if I remember.
Yes Scotland's third force (looks over his shoulder to see if Daves around) CAN beat the gers
.....but probably wont.
Old May 11th 2004, 12:11 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
American Samoa - mighty indeed, do they still hold the record for biggest thrashing in International Football? Was the Aussies that whipped them 25 nil if I remember.
I checked this one out as one of the current Dons players was involved in the game.

On 9-Apr-2001 Australia defeated Tonga 22-0 at Coffs Harbour, breaking the record score of 19 goals in a World Cup match and 20 goals in a Full International.

Both records were broken again 2 days later when Australia beat American Samoa 31-0: Archie Thompson broke another couple of records by scoring 13 of these goals, beating the previous best of 7 goals(a) in a World Cup match, and 10 goals(b) in a Full International David Zdrillic, who scored 8 goals, also broke the World Cup record).

8 goals is also the total amount that the useless Aussie git has scored this entire season.

Yes Scotland's third force (looks over his shoulder to see if Daves around)
Why you little.........pah, I can't offer any valid counter argument any more. I see Aberdeen have signed Derek Adams and Steven Craig on pre-contract agreements from Motherwell. So Haggischomper, will you miss them or are they a pair of diddies?

Severin, Kirk and Boyack aren't getting their contracts renewed by Hearts, Tony. More departures to come?
Old May 11th 2004, 1:06 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Yep, Levein was moaning that us staying at tynie for another season has cost him these players. I would argue that no bugger turning up to watch the team at Murrayfield would hurt the team more. It sucks to see Kirk go, I still think he's a decent striker although a bit kicked into touch when De Vries arived (a player we must keep at all costs)

Severin is another player who I rate highly and it's a shame to see him go.
Old May 11th 2004, 1:41 pm

What aggro did I miss with our mate manc?
All happened early this morning (EST)
Manc can you PM an abridged version over to Jambo ?

I'll give you a starter for 10:
Take It Outside forum & Bauhausfiend & his troll username: "Manc1770"

- I've just checked the aformentioned forum and all posts have been deleted now so maybe the unabridged version.

Tomorrow's Sun
(Pretty thin, what with beheadings and Glasgow explosions.)
*Dennis Wise has told his Millwall players that if they turned up to the premiere of The Football Factory they would not be picked for the FA Cup final team. Danny Dichio has some explaining to do, cos he Dj'ed at the party.
*Martin Fowler pictured sucking his finger in front of his girlfriend, a la Dirty Den, at a party.
*Stan Collymore has been charged with threatening to kill his estranged wife, Estelle.
*Jane Moore: Twunt
*Robbie Williams is flying to Cannes. After his cameo in De-Lovely (which he is going there to promote) insiders say he is desperate for a meatier film role and will be schmoozing with moguls to get a movie off the ground.
*Geri Halliwell and Lee Ryan could be seeing each other, says La Newton.
*Mick Jones says the Libertines new album is 'sensational'. The co-producer said "A record as good as this comes along once in a generation"
*VB pictured out shopping with a t-shirt on that says "Mrs Beckham"
*Corrie's Dev to face a cancer shock in new storyline.
*Lucy Benjamin to make TV comeback in Casualty .
*Lord Brocket to host new series of Bad Lads Army.
*Tamzin Outhwaite pictured with new brunette bob haircut for TV role.
*Bizarre pullout: Soap stars on the red carpet, men who wear kilts
*George and Lynne: Lynne, topless with her mates in a sauna discuss their star-struck friend."
Old May 11th 2004, 4:03 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Levein was moaning that us staying at tynie for another season has cost him these players. I would argue that no bugger turning up to watch the team at Murrayfield would hurt the team more. It sucks to see Kirk go, I still think he's a decent striker although a bit kicked into touch when De Vries arived (a player we must keep at all costs)

Severin is another player who I rate highly and it's a shame to see him go.
That did surprise me to learn that Kirk was going, he's your second highest scorer. You do need to hang on to De Vries especially as Dennis Wyness has hardly had a prolific first season. Couple of interesting things on the Scotsman site about a possible pay rise for De Vries based on appearances and Levein being linked with the Leeds job.

I was just on the Hearts official site checking out the strikers scoring stats and I see that overseas Jambos can watch tomorrow's game against the huns live online for a fiver. You ever done that before? What's the quality like?
Old May 11th 2004, 4:44 pm

You know what it's like with the web. You are looking for something and find something else on the way.
Or in my case I find something else and then follow that tangent and completely forget what I was looking for in the first place.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway....

Was reading this story about Frodo sitting in for John Peel sometime in the future when the legendary one is on his hols:
Rings star steps in for DJ Peel
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3705115.stm
The Lord of the Rings film star Elijah Wood, who played Frodo Baggins, is to step in for veteran DJ John Peel on an edition of his BBC Radio 1 show.
Station chiefs offered Wood, 23, the post after he appeared on Jo Whiley's show saying how much he loved Peel.

The actor, who has been in London shooting the football hooligan film The Yank, will deputise for Peel, 64, when the DJ is next on leave.

"Elijah is a really big music fan," a Radio 1 spokesman said.

Wood told Jo Whiley: "If you're at all a fan of music, you hear about it with John Peel and the Peel Sessions.

"I would absolutely love to do that. Oh my god yes."

Wood, who has also been promoting his most recent film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, said he was a big fan of Peel favourites Franz Ferdinand, as well as dance act Squarepusher.

But he said he was not really a fan of British rock band The Darkness - though he enjoyed their "novelty".

A date for Wood's debut has not yet been set.
After reading the story I went back to it because I wanted to send it to someone else to read when this part of the story, which I read and didn't take note of first time, I did notice the second time:
"The actor, who has been in London shooting the football hooligan film The Yank "

Went and had a look on IMDB (how did we survive without the .net) and found a synopsis of the film:
"Plot Outline: A recently expelled Harvard student travels to London and is introduced to the passion and excitement of the English soccer culture."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385002/

Elijah Wood is the only big name, have never heard of anyone else involved in the production, so I can assume that it is a small budget independent film.
But what worries me that it is a film about footie violence and by the looks of it they are getting an American actor involved so they can sell the film to the septics over here.
I don't know if anyone has seen that Simpsons episode, (they are watching a soccer match and violence breaks out in the crowd) but an American's viewpoint of footie is going to be even more...can't think of the appropriate word.... swayed ? ...influenced ? ... by this sort of film are going to continually think that fighting is always involved with footie matches. An image that all of us here don't like and would not condone or encourage.

Just what do these people (making this new film) think they are going to achieve ?
We've already got The Firm and I.D and they are the best comments and lessons learnt from the pointlessness of soccer violence and I'm not happy that they are trying to glamourise it for Hollywood. (I'm making assumptions on that part)

Well gentlemen.
After this threads 8 month existance I finally post a serious footie topic that is also related to the USA.

Eye fank ewe...

Old May 12th 2004, 12:39 am
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Webbie

It was actually a Thailand Pie Maker and 56 pasties
Sold!
Old May 12th 2004, 2:18 am

Sicknote has been released (along with Ziege and Poyet)
Spurs offload veterans
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ur/3706467.stm
Tottenham will release Darren Anderton, Gus Poyet and Christian Ziege after Saturday as the club rebuilds following a poor season at White Hart lane.
Anderton, 32, joined Spurs from hometown club Portsmouth in 1992 for £1.7m and made 358 appearances despite a series of injuries.

Ziege, 32, moved from Liverpool in 2001 while Poyet, 36, joined from London rivals Chelsea for £1.5m also in 2001.

But club captain Jamie Redknapp has signed a new one-year deal.

Redknapp, who has also struggled with injuries, was awarded the new contract after agreeing a contractual issue which entitled him to an extension provided he played a certain number of matches.
Redknapp is taking his sicknote nickname though.
Talking of which - Anderton came from Pompey so a good bet to join all the other retiree's down there.

Pretty sad though - 12 years at the club and suddenly thank you very much for your service. Now **** off.

Looking at the Beeb headlines there are going to be loads of swaps,drops and sales.

Better start the Euro 2004 news now. Only a few weeks away !

Wales are still trying to get Russia booted out of the competition because of their drugged player. Have taken their case to the Court of Arbitration.. whatever the hell that is, to do a final appeal.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/3703577.stm

The Abs and the Hearts play today up in Scotia.
I would assume you need fat pipes (ADSL) to watch the Blue Noses.
Old May 12th 2004, 6:18 am
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally posted by DaveC
I was just on the Hearts official site checking out the strikers scoring stats and I see that overseas Jambos can watch tomorrow's game against the huns live online for a fiver. You ever done that before? What's the quality like?
Damn I wasnt aware they had set this up. All the 'seats' are gone.
Quality on these games differ depending on where you go and the feed speed. They are running the games at 300k which is pretty low res.

Looks like they are keeping the screen size down to compensate for this. So if they have restricted your ability to enlarge the pic then you will be watching on a pocket TV size screen, the game should flow as smooth as your average TV broadcast, mainly because they have restricted the amount of users to 1000.

I have a few great links to live football, I was watching a champions league game the other day but these are so popular it is often impossible to keep the connection alive because there is 50 million people on. If you are intrested in watching full Serie A and MLS games go here http://sports.yahoo.com/s/soccerpass
Totally free and has previous games to watch. Another one I use is www.soccerstreams.com these guys hunt the web for broadcasts and you can watch premiership and champions league games...but it is popular like I said and the feed are a nightmare to connect to.
Old May 12th 2004, 6:45 am
"Where are the shovels?"

Looks like commentary on the Hearts game is frozen out. Unless anyone has a link? The bbc link opens and tells you it is only available from the huns site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.