Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:43 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Webbie, does that 5th Star now make you a Field Marshal? Go airborne! Or something.

My stadium was New Bayview, home of East Fife.

Here's my entry for A Question of Sport:
Attached Thumbnails British Football thread-pic1.jpg  
Old Apr 24th 2004, 12:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

courtesy of dave.t
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:41 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember we talked about celebrity fans of footy teams few months ago. This appears to be the definitive list.

http://www.zinescene.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/celebrity.htm

Another topic discussed a while ago was the Scotland v England masters game which took place on Thursday and finished 2-1 to Scotland. Teams and match report here:

http://www.dafc.co.uk/news/article.asp?ArticleID=661

Quiet in here today.

Last edited by DaveC; Apr 24th 2004 at 1:50 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 3:48 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaveC
I seem to remember we talked about celebrity fans of footy teams few months ago. This appears to be the definitive list.

http://www.zinescene.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/celebrity.htm

Another topic discussed a while ago was the Scotland v England masters game which took place on Thursday and finished 2-1 to Scotland. Teams and match report here:

http://www.dafc.co.uk/news/article.asp?ArticleID=661

Quiet in here today.
Stephen Hendry bought his old man a pub up the road from my house in Edinburgh, used to talk to him (his dad that is) whenever I was in there.

One night I asked him "so I keep hearing that Stephen is a jambo?" his dad "aye he is" me "funny, I've been going to the games for over 20 years and never seen him there once"
his dad "well the snooker keeps him busy"
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Hearts are cheered on by the man who does the weather on Tynes Tees tv ? Big celeb there then !

Dispute Uri Geller is a biscuitman though, I thought he & his kiddie fiddling Joan Crawford lookalike pal were at Exeter these days ?
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:37 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Champions

Some dodgy pics of Vieria in his kegs? I know he just won, and got a big fat bonus but there is no excuse.
Attached Thumbnails British Football thread-_40080683_players203_empics.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2004, 12:44 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like he needs to eat a few cakes if your asking me...........

Get the lad off to Greggs someone please!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:14 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't mention Greggs...three years later and I am still suffering withdrawal symptoms. Sausage rolls!!, Bridies,!!!! cheese n onion pasties!!!!!!!! NURSE!!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:20 am
@matthewb76

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Don't mention Greggs...three years later and I am still suffering withdrawal symptoms. Sausage rolls!!, Bridies,!!!! cheese n onion pasties!!!!!!!! NURSE!!!!!
Greggs was fantastic no? cheap and nasty, but quality stuff.
Haute cuisine for chavs.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:26 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
Greggs was fantastic no? cheap and nasty, but quality stuff.
Haute cuisine for chavs.
I've seen the pics. A certain chav seemed to live in there.

Busy at the mo chaps.
Scrapping the car (head gasket blew, been sitting there for months now, about time we got rid.)
Back later.

(Found another good one
=============================
"What's the difference between "light" and "hard"?
A: You can sleep with a light on".

Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:39 am
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Webbie
I've seen the pics. A certain chav seemed to live in there.
cheese and onion pie please,
79 pence?

make that 2 mate.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:00 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Morning mincers.

No domestic midweeks. All international friendlies.
Only a couple more Saturdays until the end of the season.
Bastard.

Roll on Euro 2004

Wed Apr 28 2004
International Matches

Kazakhstan v Azerbaijan 13:30
(are they still fighting a war against each other ?)

Bulgaria v Cameroon 16:00
(no shirt pulling here then. but how do they go for a p iss ?)

Poland v Republic of Ireland 17:00
(Roy Keane wants to play for the Repl again and trains with them. Then he does a Ryan Giggs. His brother Robbie has just pulled out as well. I could do a joke about neither of them being keen but I don't want rotten tomatoes thrown at me.)

Denmark v Scotland 19:00
(err... good luck to the boys. hope you can scrape a draw )

Northern_Ireland v Serbia Montenegro 19:45
(NI won last time out. ("Are you watching Sammy Mac ?") so fingers crossed for them to get two in a row.)

Some tasty ties here as well:
Italy v Spain 20:00
Portugal v Sweden 21:15

Good to keep watch and see how they are playing before the tournament.

THURSDAY:
El Salvador v Colombia 01:30
(didn't they go to war many years ago over the result of a game ? I'm sure the footie statto's here will know this one)

USA v Mexico 02:30
(doubt this will be on normal telly. as we know this country doesn't give a snit about the beautiful game. apart from when it is played by the women and they are winning. )
</Rant over>

Well done to Matt's Butt by the way. Citeh are in a dog fight with those cowboys at Leeds
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:52 am
@matthewb76

THURSDAY:
El Salvador v Colombia 01:30
(didn't they go to war many years ago over the result of a game ? I'm sure the footie statto's here will know this one)
wasn't it you you told me to get a life yesterday?

Hondouras and El Salvador.

USA v Mexico 02:30

FIFA president Blatter proposes scrapping draws
Reuters
Tuesday April 27, 2004 3:11 PM

BERLIN, April 27 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has proposed
scrapping draws in soccer, saying every game should have a winner.

In an idea which would revolutionise the world's most popular sport
if adopted, Blatter suggested that games could be decided by a
penalty shoot-out in the case of a draw.

"Every game should have a winner," Blatter, president of soccer's
ruling body, told German sports news agency SID.

"When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a
loser. We should have the courage to introduce a final decision in
every game of football."

Blatter said the best way would be penalties but added he would study
any other proposal

what's wrong with a draw? They are after the dollar.............

However when MLS initially started out, they had a shootout at the end of draws and it proved very unpopular, so they scrapped it.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 4:09 am

Originally posted by manc1976
FIFA president Blatter proposes scrapping draws

BERLIN, April 27 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has proposed scrapping draws in soccer, saying every game should have a winner.

In an idea which would revolutionise the world's most popular sport if adopted, Blatter suggested that games could be decided by a penalty shoot-out in the case of a draw.

"Every game should have a winner," Blatter, president of soccer's
ruling body, told German sports news agency SID.

"When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a loser. We should have the courage to introduce a final decision in every game of football."

Blatter said the best way would be penalties but added he would study any other proposal
That Sepp Blatter...

Flying by the seat of his pants he is.

ok I'll stop now.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:28 am
@matthewb76

From the Stockport Email list
with regards a guy going to watch the MLS.

With you there. I saw a songsheet for the SJ Clash (I think? Maybe
wrong team/city) and the songs were dire, inane pap. They were along
the lines of 'Go San Jose, Go San Jose, Go San Jose!' And then, 'The
ref's a wanker, The ref's a wanker, The ref's a wanker, And so say
all of us!' I ask you?! I bet its your average soccer mom and dad
standing up to sing this song enthusiastically before sitting back
down feeling a little naughty for being so rude! What jolly good
fun!! I wonder how they would take to someone standing up and
shouting 'F****** get into the box Donovan you F****** work-shy
layabout s***e! Where the F*** did you learn to play football, the
F****** beach?!' And then taunting the away fans by suggesting that
they all sleep with their mothers. Oh I forgot, they don't have any
away fans.

It may seem bigotic cr*p from someone who has not yet been to a
sporting event in America, but everytime I have taken an American or
spoken to someone who has taken an American to football in Britain,
they just cannot get over the atmosphere. Even in Highbury!
I think he hit the nail on the head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.