Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old May 6th 2004, 8:04 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Is the Newcastle match on any of the cable channels Dave ?
Currently watching the text commentary.

Marsellie are one-nil up and this has just appeared:
"A hold up in play as a fire is dealt with under one of the stands. looks very, very dangerous for a moment but the authorities are on to it quickly and put out what was quite some blaze"

Scary.
Hmm, let me see (goes to check).

Sadly I can't find it, it's not on ESPN or Fox but the Valencia Villareal is on Fox Sports World. Valencia have just scored a dodgy penalty.
Old May 6th 2004, 8:57 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
Hmm, let me see (goes to check).

Sadly I can't find it, it's not on ESPN or Fox but the Valencia Villareal is on Fox Sports World. Valencia have just scored a dodgy penalty.
Marseille 2 - 0 Newcastle
Didier Drogba(18)
Didier Drogba(82)

Somebody sign him up.
Old May 7th 2004, 2:21 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell the Friends spoilers were right.
Crap finish to it all, but a million times better than the Seinfeld one.

Manc you Thatcher hating, devil worshipping, schemie chav - have you abandoned this thread too ? Think we are down to the three of us now.

Come on - somebody post an album cover or another Question Of Sport guess the footballer.

- Something from the Beeb. The England anthem for Euro 2004:
England's Euro 2004 song revealed

The Farm will perform the official England anthem for this summer's European Championships, the FA says.
The song, a new version of the Liverpool-based band's 1990 hit Altogether Now, is released on 31 May.

It has been edited by DJ Spoony and features additional vocals by the St Francis Xavier Boys Choir.

It has been a hit twice before, hitting number four on its original release and number 24 when recorded by Everton FC for the 1995 FA Cup Final.

The BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Show played the track for the first time after DJ Spoony delivered a copy to the studio in person.

It was originally inspired by the unofficial armistice on the Western Front on Christmas Day 1914, which saw British and German troops play a game of football in no-man's land.

With England fans set to travel in large numbers to Euro 2004, which takes place in Portugal in June and July, the Football Association used the song's title as its slogan for the tournament, to send a positive message and encourage good behaviour.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3692909.stm

Time to drag out the Joe Bloggs gear again.
Get yourselves down to the barber and ask for the curtain haircut.

(No prizes for guessing who this is.)

Last edited by Webbie; May 7th 2004 at 2:44 am.
Old May 7th 2004, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

In an attempt to make you happy Webbie, I'll chime in with a comment on the England Anthem for Euro 2004.

I like it, solid choice in my opinion, I've been singing the original version since I read the story when I got up this morning. It's a good song, particularly if sung with a strong scouse accent

Come on then, someone sing with me,

All together now,
all together now,
all together now (in Port- u-gal?)....

They played it on radio one this morning apparently - anyone heard what they have done to the lyrics yet?
Old May 7th 2004, 5:46 am

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
In an attempt to make you happy Webbie, I'll chime in with a comment on the England Anthem for Euro 2004.

I like it, solid choice in my opinion, I've been singing the original version since I read the story when I got up this morning. It's a good song, particularly if sung with a strong scouse accent

Come on then, someone sing with me,

All together now,
all together now,

They played it on radio one this morning apparently - anyone heard what they have done to the lyrics yet?
I agree with you Snorky. Good choice.
Better to get a familiar song than get some boy band and **** it up.
Loved the original and revived the career of me old mate Wiley (Pete of the Mighty Wah !)
The southern softies might not like singing it because of the Everton/Liverpool connection - same thing happened the last World Cup because Ant & Dec did an old Arsenal song.
Footie fans...so fickle.
(Or should that be thickle ? )
All together now,
all together now,
Nice. Think it'll probably changed to this.
Will get some of them singing it on the terraces. I'm sure the brass band are learning the tune right now.
Haven't heard the reworking yet. Will probably be available for download via Soulseek any day now.
Old May 7th 2004, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just waiting to see how many "alternative" Euro songs there will be this year.

So far this week I've read rumours about Blazing Squad doing their own version of the Tears for Fears song Shout, a reworking of the Dexy's Midnight Runners classic - Come on Eileen with Come on England instead by Fat Les?

It adds to the atmosphere of it all.

Just found yet another one.

Born in England Alternate Euro 2004 song

Last edited by snorkmaiden; May 7th 2004 at 6:54 am.
Old May 7th 2004, 1:11 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Didnt Mick Hucknal write We're in This Together for the England team? That was particularly bad..eh webbie?
Old May 7th 2004, 1:20 pm

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Didnt Mick Hucknal write We're in This Together for the England team? That was particularly bad..eh webbie?
Webbie.....angry...

Webbie....maaaaaad....

Butseriouslynow...
That piece of sh ite was supposed to be the official anthem of Euro 96 or summat. Thank **** for Newman & Baddiel.

Interested to hear what Keith Allen is doing for this one.
(I've got good funny story about him, but for another time)

Have you chaps seen the latest footie ?
Bolton have given up on Rivaldo and now Celtic are chasing:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3693927.stm

Join me in the Maggie bashing debate won't you ?
Old May 8th 2004, 2:41 pm

From the Beeb:

Pearce wants manager job

"Former England defender Stuart Pearce is keen to return to management.
Pearce has secured all his diplomas during the last two years spent as first-team coach at Manchester City.

He said: "I have an agreement with Kevin Keegan and chairman John Wardle that if a manager's job comes along, that's where I see my future."

"Nothing is in the pipeline and until something happens and while City are happy with me, I will stay and gather more knowledge."

Pearce's previous management post saw him take over at Nottingham Forest from Frank Clark in December 1996, but he was unable to prevent their relegation that season.

He said of his time at City under manager Kevin Keegan: "It has been brilliant for me.

"I have been involved in the Premiership, been involved in player negotiations and sat in on board meetings."

"I don't think as a young coach I could have had a better apprenticeship.

"Kevin has a wealth of experience at international level and with various clubs.

"His assistant Arthur Cox has been in the game for a million years and you can't learn from better people."

================================

I say give him the Citeh job for next season.
Alright I know that he doesn't have the experience, but he has the nerves of steel that Keegan doesn't have.
If we stay with the same manager then I can see us following Leeds.

In other gloomy news - Aberdeen seem to have gone on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Lost again. Stockie got a loss at Barnsley.

Another resignation of note: Steve McMahon has left Blackpool "by mutual consent." But there's been trouble at mill for a few months there now. He walked out in January but came back and eventually won the Leyland Daf or whatever the lower league trophy is called now.
Expect him to be with another club over the summer. Don't know which one, but the mangement merry-go-round should start soon.

The Arse are going for a record tomorrow - they have been unbeaten in the League all season and entertain the Cottagers.
Fully expect the ham to lay down and take it like a man.

(Pass the KY jelly somebody....)
Old May 10th 2004, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Heaven is available on the net to all true Englishmen

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/..._frg_1966.html
Old May 10th 2004, 2:53 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chelsea splash out again

After the successful conclusion of talks with a leading Spanish club, a Chelsea spokesman yesterday confirmed that the club have spent £110m and have Juan Fukall.
Old May 10th 2004, 4:05 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Webbie
You wanted to know what a 'Schemie Chav' was.

Well may I present the court with Exhibit A
bauhausfiend.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=2165257

Last edited by manc1976; May 10th 2004 at 4:12 am.
Old May 10th 2004, 7:39 am
"Where are the shovels?"

Stuart Pearce = tosser

I'm in the market for a satelite dish (or as Delboy would say Statalite)

Basically I want fox sports world for the footy, anything else doesnt interest me but I realise I will have to pay for some shit channels I never watch, i'd just like to keep this to a minimum. I see dish network do a deal for 50 bux. Anyone gone with them? How much are you paying for fox sports world etc.?
Old May 10th 2004, 7:42 am
@matthewb76

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Stuart Pearce = tosser

I'm in the market for a satelite dish (or as Delboy would say Statalite)

Basically I want fox sports world for the footy, anything else doesnt interest me but I realise I will have to pay for some shit channels I never watch, i'd just like to keep this to a minimum. I see dish network do a deal for 50 bux. Anyone gone with them? How much are you paying for fox sports world etc.?
tony, I'm with directv.
I pay like $39.99 for the total choice package
then an extra $9.99 for the sports pack.
I do watch other sports channels like the Outdoor life network in the summer for the Tour De France
Speed has the Formula 1.
Fox sports world appeared to show more Scottish Football last year than this year. Or I just missed it.
Old May 10th 2004, 8:03 am
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally posted by manc1976
tony, I'm with directv.
I pay like $39.99 for the total choice package
then an extra $9.99 for the sports pack.
I do watch other sports channels like the Outdoor life network in the summer for the Tour De France
Speed has the Formula 1.
Fox sports world appeared to show more Scottish Football last year than this year. Or I just missed it.
Yeah I am acyually on their page now manc. They have a deal going for $29.99 a month for first 6 months, sounds good. So I take it that I can order the bare minimum package and just add the sports channels to that? This would then come to around $40 a month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.