Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:30 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
I'd better put my claws away, it's quite hard to type!

Good news about Rangers losing so many players. That and with Celtic at least losing The Magnificent 7 it could be a more interesting SPL campaign next year, i.e. not over by Xmas. Providing (a) that Rangers don't plunder the "talent" from the wee SPL teams to replace their crocks and (b) that enough teams survive the financial climate to compete.

Apparently Scots are the UK's biggest spending football fans:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3547451.stm
Looks like the Henrick Larsson passenger express is taking a new route then, I predict major disruptions and much frustration as a new locomotive is found as a replacement...in a nutshell, Celtic are a one man team.

Intresting that scottish fans still splash out on what is, let's face it an inferior product..Football is the only business that gets away with selling crap that people still buy (talking on the field that is, shirts are nice) I do admit to spending a fair bit of dosh on match day though, all adds up. Mr Robinson likes to charge us up the arse because he knows that by half time most of us will pay anything for a pie and bovril...tosser!

Last edited by tony_2003; Mar 10th 2004 at 10:33 am.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:50 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

5 - 2 On agg, watch out Real. Shame I cant see the game, have to watch the goals on Sky Sports news.
Attached Thumbnails British Football thread-_39874302_thierry270.jpg  
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:39 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Thursday fixtures
Newcastle v Mallorca 19:45
Celtic v Barcelona 20:00
Liverpool v Marseille 20:00

All tough ties, I think we could safely say the bhoys have the toughest one. I think they will win 1-0, 2-0 Liverpool and 3-1 Newcastle.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 4:47 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dundee teams to ground share

Good luck to all the Brit teams in Euro action tonight.

Breaking news: Dundee are rumoured to be going to sell Dens and move across the road to ground share with United.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/3502690.stm

It'll be the Scottish San Siro, not. Whilst it makes financial sense for the clubs I think this is a bad idea football wise. Utd got to be nicknamed the Arabs because their pitch was so bad that there was more sand than grass on it. I'm sure the pitch quality has improved in recent years but the strain of having home games played every week may be too much. We shall see.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dundee teams to ground share

Originally posted by DaveC
Good luck to all the Brit teams in Euro action tonight.

Breaking news: Dundee are rumoured to be going to sell Dens and move across the road to ground share with United.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/3502690.stm

It'll be the Scottish San Siro, not. Whilst it makes financial sense for the clubs I think this is a bad idea football wise. Utd got to be nicknamed the Arabs because their pitch was so bad that there was more sand than grass on it. I'm sure the pitch quality has improved in recent years but the strain of having home games played every week may be too much. We shall see.

Looks like they may be cancelled as they're against Spanish teams, and after the bombings in Spain....
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:00 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dundee teams to ground share

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Looks like they may be cancelled as they're against Spanish teams, and after the bombings in Spain....
Well as of 1232 GMT the games are still on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/3497652.stm
Old Mar 11th 2004, 5:06 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default the game

Originally posted by mattbutt
5 - 2 On agg, watch out Real. Shame I cant see the game, have to watch the goals on Sky Sports news.
yo matt i was there henry really is the daddy i`d pay 100 quid to watch im play (unbeleivable pace skills vision ability etc etc etc)he`s got the lot bring on chelski
Old Mar 11th 2004, 8:43 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the game

Originally posted by wengerboy
yo matt i was there henry really is the daddy i`d pay 100 quid to watch im play (unbeleivable pace skills vision ability etc etc etc)he`s got the lot bring on chelski

Would you not want Real... or Real in the final,the draw is tommorow morning? I think I would fancy monaco going in to the next round but at this stage all will be hard. Chelsea/Arse final would be nice.

100 quid is ok, considering the tickets can be aroudn 50 anyway. Thats one thing that bothers me with highbury, if you aint a season ticket holder or one of those ticket registration members you aint going to a game unless its a carling cup or the like. I havent seen any competitive games at highbury for few years, but always tried to get along to testimonials, pre seasons etc.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:21 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the game

Originally posted by mattbutt
Would you not want Real... or Real in the final,the draw is tommorow morning? I think I would fancy monaco going in to the next round but at this stage all will be hard. Chelsea/Arse final would be nice.

100 quid is ok, considering the tickets can be aroudn 50 anyway. Thats one thing that bothers me with highbury, if you aint a season ticket holder or one of those ticket registration members you aint going to a game unless its a carling cup or the like. I havent seen any competitive games at highbury for few years, but always tried to get along to testimonials, pre seasons etc.
with reference tickets i`m offered up 2 occasionally from season ticket holder`s 1 upper west 1 upper east

my mate in the west normally sits in da north bank(better atmosphere)and gives me his 4 nothin(top bloke eh)
the one in the east works nights so i get midweek games ie champions league for 30 quid p.s 2 tickets on ebay 4 arse man u went for 560 quid recently:scared:
Old Mar 11th 2004, 11:48 am
Get em out by Friday

Celtic 1 - 0 Barcelona
Liverpool 1 - 1 Marseille
Newcastle 4 - 1 Mallorca

Good results for the Magpies and Bhoys...although Celtic may have problems with only a one goal lead to take to Spain. Liverpool may even have biger probs with that away goal.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 11:53 am
Up The Arse!!

Originally posted by tony_2003
Celtic 1 - 0 Barcelona
Liverpool 1 - 1 Marseille
Newcastle 4 - 1 Mallorca

Good results for the Magpies and Bhoys...although Celtic may have problems with only a one goal lead to take to Spain. Liverpool may even have biger probs with that away goal.
liverpool are truly awful to watch at the mo
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:40 pm
100% Pure

Originally posted by tony_2003
although Celtic may have problems with only a one goal lead to take to Spain.
They've just announced that the 2nd leg is live on Fox Sports World at 2pm Eastern on March 25th. I'll be watching that, should be interesting.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Seems UEFA were the bad guys as both Barcelona & Celtic wanted to postpone this game as a mark of respect to the 200 murdered in Madrid earlier in the day.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Champion League's Quarter Final Draw

Chelsea v Arsenal
Real Madrid v AS Monaco
AC Milan v Deportivo Coruna
Porto v Olympique Lyon

Chelsea / Arsenal will play Real Madrid/ AS Monaco in the semis.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 1:41 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Champion League's Quarter Final Draw

Chelsea v Arsenal
Real Madrid v AS Monaco
AC Milan v Deportivo Coruna
Porto v Olympique Lyon

Chelsea / Arsenal will play Real Madrid/ AS Monaco in the semis.
I was a bit dissapointed to read this, so were both managers:
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein said: "I think one of the joys of playing in Europe is playing teams from overseas - and having played Chelsea three times, it is a bit anti-climactic."

Chelsea secretary David Barnard agreed: "It is a bit of an anti-climax. We've no opportunity to use our passports again, but it gives us the opportunity to put right the previous results against them this season."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ue/3499906.stm

Another win for Arsenal. Chelski always seem to lie down for them.
What do the North Bank fans lurking here fink ?

In other footie news:
Fergie gets a pacemaker
No surprise to read that another manager having heart problems.

"Football manager eh ? Hardest job in the world..."

Back later with the weekend fixtures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.