Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:23 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Bizarre, the FA must be so happy at the prospect of a Prem v Nationwide League final.
That is the crappiest draw I've ever seen. Like the League cup one I bet the sponsors are cursing now. They would have luved to see Arse v Manny in the final. If Tranny/Milly get there against on of the Prem teams then it will be a foregone conclusion. Who's going to watch that ?
I remember the Lidipool v Sunderland final - big anti-climax.

What I hope for is Sunderland to get there again, Mick McCarthy is a good manager. But... would this distraction of the FA Cup affect their push for promotion ? I think the club would rather be playing Prem league footie every week than going into Europe and slipping on the first banana skin.

My predict: Millwall v Arsenal ! (Don't hold me to that though !)
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:25 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
I am sure West Glamorgan constabulary are bricking it at the thoughts of that.
Can you imagine being on a train out of London to Cardiff that day?

"I'll cut ya, yew slaaaaaaaaag"
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

That is the crappiest draw I've ever seen. Like the League cup one I bet the sponsors are cursing now. They would have luved to see Arse v Manny in the final. If Tranny/Milly get there against on of the Prem teams then it will be a foregone conclusion. Who's going to watch that ?
I remember the Lidipool v Sunderland final - big anti-climax.

What I hope for is Sunderland to get there again, Mick McCarthy is a good manager. But... would this distraction of the FA Cup affect their push for promotion ? I think the club would rather be playing Prem league footie every week than going into Europe and slipping on the first banana skin.

Lets ignore the 92 cup final. still bitter about the con of a semi final replay. Played at Villa Park on the monday, 2 days after the Scousers played there in the league, not an unfair advantage in anyway shape of bloody form lol
Old Mar 8th 2004, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Fulham

I'm still sulking after Saturdays result.
See below.....
Old Mar 8th 2004, 7:33 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shite!

Scottish Cup Semi Draw

Celtic v Aberdeen or Livingston
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Dunfermline

Games to be played on April 10th/11th.

Oh well, at least I don't have to consider potentially going to the final when choosing a date for our next trip to the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shite!

Originally posted by DaveC
Scottish Cup Semi Draw

Celtic v Aberdeen or Livingston
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Dunfermline

Games to be played on April 10th/11th.

Oh well, at least I don't have to consider potentially going to the final when choosing a date for our next trip to the UK.
Yep, there goes my planned trip to Cardiff.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 8:20 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fulham

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
I'm still sulking after Saturdays result.
See below.....
You changed your sig - when they were hanging around the top 6 it was Fayed Footie Club for the Prem.
But now after selling your best player to your biggest rival I think it should be - FFC - surviving in the Prem !
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
I am sure West Glamorgan constabulary are bricking it at the thoughts of that.
Can you imagine being on a train out of London to Cardiff that day?

"I'll cut ya, yew slaaaaaaaaag"

As opposed to soft northern chants of:

'Mad fer it'

But then Man U fans arnt from Manchester are they...
Old Mar 8th 2004, 7:42 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mattbutt
As opposed to soft northern chants of:

'Mad fer it'

But then Man U fans arnt from Manchester are they...
I loved your work in Bros
Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:52 am

Originally posted by tony_2003
I loved your work in Bros
It's funny with the Bands Reunited thing - there's a message board on the VH1 website and people post on there giving their opinion on who else should be reunited. But there were none for Bros. Not one mention.
Not that I wanted them to be mentioned, it just shows you how bad music got in the 90's - apart from Nirvana, Radiohead, etc.
(My picks for others bands to reunited were: The Smiths, The Police and The Jam)

Right then. The midweeks.
- and it's mostly wearing European Cup competitions.

*Since we are on a music trip I'll use bands that came from that town/city or well know supporters of that team:

TUESDAY:
UEFA Champions League First Knock-Out Round Second Leg
Damon Albarn (Blur) v VfB Stuttgart (19:45)
(1st leg - 1-0 to Stuttgart)

Mick Hucknell (aka twat) v FC Porto
(1st leg - 2-1 to Porto

EPL:
Bob Mortimer v Chas n' Dave
(Vic & Bob did a single with the Wonderstuff)

SPL:
Aberdeen v Partick Thistle (19.45)

WEDNESDAY
UEFA Champions League First Knock-Out Round Second Leg
Ray Davies (Kinks) v Celta Vigo
(1st leg - Celta Vigo 2-Arse 3)

THURSDAY
UEFA Cup Fourth Round First Leg
Ant & Dec v Mallorca (19:45)
Jim Kerr v Barcelona (20:00)
Elvis Costello v Marseille (20:00)
Old Mar 9th 2004, 2:41 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny with the Bands Reunited thing - there's a message board on the VH1 website and people post on there giving their opinion on who else should be reunited. But there were none for Bros. Not one mention.
Not that I wanted them to be mentioned, it just shows you how bad music got in the 90's - apart from Nirvana, Radiohead, etc.
(My picks for others bands to reunited were: The Smiths, The Police and The Jam)
(probably gonna get my arse ripped for this, but what the hell)
It's weird, but since a good few years have passed (I think Bros were 87-89) I don't really hate these bands as much as I did back then...I REALLY detest current music, there is nothing that interests me these day's, the Darkness are a very poor way over-rated version of Queen...oh where was I? oh yes Bros...yeah I downloaded a couple of tracks of theirs and thought they werent too bad, the singles were just meaningless pop songs, but at least they had a tune. I have also re-exlpored some of the SAW stuff (not Kylie yet) and that aint too bad either...sad I know, bands I'd like to see re-united...without a doubt the Thompson Twins are top of my list, Tom Bailey is piss easy to track down since he is the manager of a big pop band in NZ called Stellar. Right back to football I guess...Annie Lennox v Partick Thistle...don't know that anyone has ever come from Partick, or that they'd admit to it.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:15 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Annie Lennox v Partick Thistle...don't know that anyone has ever come from Partick, or that they'd admit to it.
Well there was a little 'beat the boredom' challenge for me.

Robert Carlyle

"You've played a Man City fan in There's Only One Jimmy Grimble and a Liverpool nut in 51st State and Cracker. Where does your footballing allegiance lie?

Partick Thistle is my local team, but they're just a small club, which is why I see my games down here. They aren't doing badly, though, so hopefully they'll go back up to the Scottish Premier League ."

Interview with Bob Carlyle
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:20 am

(probably gonna get my arse ripped for this, but what the hell)
where was I? oh yes Bros...yeah I downloaded a couple of tracks of theirs and thought they werent too bad, the singles were just meaningless pop songs, but at least they had a tune. I have also re-exlpored some of the SAW stuff (not Kylie yet) and that aint too bad either...sad I know, bands I'd like to see re-united...without a doubt the Thompson Twins are top of my list, Tom Bailey is piss easy to track down since he is the manager of a big pop band in NZ called Stellar. Right back to football I guess...Annie Lennox v Partick Thistle...don't know that anyone has ever come from Partick, or that they'd admit to it.
(Taking this thread even more off topic)
Can't rip anything out of you Tony.
Just bought a new burner for this computer and the missus has asked me to download and rip a CD with some of her favourites - which includes the Spice Girls. (Now why did I marry her ?)

Talking of marriage - Tom and Alannah (Thompson Twins) have unfortunatly just divorced and Tom is moving back to England.
They were top on the VH1 Bands Reunited website poll for getting other bands back together. But after this I'm not so sure it would happen now.
Band members can fall out. Brothers can fall out (AFOS) but when the band members are married then it's a bit more difficult.

Can't think of a subtle way to steer this back to footie, so:
"Up the Arse !"
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:21 am
@matthewb76

(Taking this thread even more off topic)
Can't rip anything out of you Tony.
We hooked up our DSL for the first time last night ( joy of joys!!)
first thing the wifey downloaded was Barry Manilow Coco-****ing-bana
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:30 am
@matthewb76

have also re-exlpored some of the SAW stuff
excellent stuff dude

Brother Beyond
Hazel Dean (I thought she was tres fit)
Sanitta

rock on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.