Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:48 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

The description of football being like a drug is a good one.
There's been plenty of times I've stood there on an open terrace getting piss wet through watching a Presidents Cup second round game. (Runcorn, Jan 15th 1985)
But they gave away the unsold pies near the end *Looks for a "whole ate all the pies" emoticon*

You keep thinking to yourself why the **** am I doing this ? What is the point !!
Then you think about playing Horwich RMI on Saturday and if they get a win we'll be third....

I've also been to football matches where I didn't support either team. That is how sad I am !

Working in Henley and one of my customers was a big Reading supporter.
He convinced me to go and watch a match.
Not at home but away at Brentford !
WHHHYYY !!!
Abismal and pointless game (this was 1989) The Brentford ground is right next to the motorway and under the flightpath for Heathrow.
You couldn't hear any fans singing because of the constant traffic noise and 'planes flying overhead.
(KLM had paid for "Next Time Fly KLM" on the roof of their stand.)

Few years later I was working in Reading and a workmate talked me into going to see Middlesboro play (an away game at Oxford)
-> Kick off - midday. January 1st 1993.
(When will we ever learn ! Everyone is still getting over a mega hangover and we force football players to go out there and play a match as entertainment !
The SPL have is right - take a mid-season break, let them (and us) thaw out for a bit !)

Anyhoots - Peter (Boro fan) was going to drive.
- That's why I keep doing this I think - if someone else drives I'll go. I'm a football travelling whore !
Peter had also convinced another fellow worker - Jimmy Mac to come with us.
Jimmy was a BIG Celtic supporter.
Now if you want to find a real and dedicated live and breath it football supporter then find a Celtic fan.
Tony and Scotch will disagree, but I'll tell another story connected to this in a minute.

I thought I was a big fan but Jimmy thought about and talked about fitba all the time.
Everytime you saw him out of work he was wearing that hooped shirt.
He used to be a season ticket holder (even though he lived and worked in Reading) and every month or so he would get on a train and the travel 10 hours to get there for the kick off and then get back on the train straight after. Nuts !!
I've gone off point now...where was I ?

Oh yes. Away to Oxford, New Years Day.
This was Lennie Lawrence's Boro were in the 2nd division and Robbie Mustoe was their best player.
New Years Day... something about New Years which Scotsmen seem to do every year....
We agreed to meet at 9am (midday kickoff) and in staggered Jimmy, Celtic shirt and all, pissed out of his brains.
Now the problem with Glaswegians after a few beers is that you can't understand a word they say !
Off we went anyway, with Jimmy singing his songs, cracking open another can in the back and me thinking.....WHYYYY !!!
You will never guess what - open terrace, windy but thankfully no rain and an abismal, pointless match. Ended in a 1-all draw .
Jimmy stood there.... sorry.... swayed and watched the beginning of the game but soon got bored and wandered off.
We found him back in the car sleeping it off after the match.
He told us he went to find a pub but wasn't successful, so he finished off the beers he brought with him.

As I said above - Celtic fans are one of the most loyal and dedicated I've ever met. (forget the bigotry, never talked about it, always about the football)
One I was on a train going back to MCR to see a FA Cup match against... forgot who now.
(The train I was taking goes from Southampton to Glasgow)
I got on at Reading and went to find a seat.
I saw that familiar hooped shirt and could have sworn it was him, but it wasn't.
- This was about 5 years later and I'd lost contact with Jimmy.
This guy sitting there. At 10am in the morning, wearing the shirt and drinking a can of Tennants was the exact spitting image of my mate Jimmy. I just couldn't believe it !
I sat there giggling to myself and this guy was giving me dark looks until I explained.

It's not just Celtic supporters though - I've seen the Scottish national supporters at the World Cup and I'm sure Scotch and Tony are the same, real supporters.
It could have been so easy for you guys to follow the glory path, as so many Surrey residents have, but you stick with your home town teams.

So if anyone mentions the rags or the OF here you will always get the replies you see here.

God I ramble on a bit don't I.
Sorry :lecture:
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I feel sorry for those of bigger clubs. They will never know the pure joy that you get from reaching a big game for that once in a life time moment. The adreniline rush as you go to a cup 1st round tie or in our case trophy semi-final. Pleasure you cannot measure.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 5:51 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right there webbie, had mates at school in Edinburgh who followed both Glasgow teams and I never understood it...can't stand tossers who support big teams outwith there city.

Yes there is something to be said for scraping your way to eventual glory, even if it takes 40 odd years. I feel sorry for Celtic and Rangers who' only real excitment comes in the Champions league...what's the point? It takes away the meaning of football i.e working class, and a getaway from the 9 to 5 experience.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:07 am

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Going to be distracted for a while.
The original band members in my sig are reforming for one more time !
(They were derided and despised in the UK, but were huge over here)

I want to hear your football stories - everyone has one !

Webbie
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 3:36 am

Hey ! Dont' let this thread die !

Selected fixtures for the weekend:

(SATURDAY)

EPL:
Liverpool v Leeds United (12:30)
Chelsea v Man City
Newcastle v Portsmouth
(Liverpool out of form, pressure on Houlier, but Leeds should be a pushover. Newcastle slowly turning around and coming on form, Pompy beat Liverpool last week and def on form. Chelsea on fire at the moment and I'm bricking meself !)

FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round:
Accrington v Leigh RMI
Blyth Spartans v Chester
Exeter v Gravesend
Morecambe v Shrewsbury
(These are all teams I think will do well in the cup)

Football League Division One:
Wimbledon v Watford
(Last week Milton Keynes lost 6-0 to Forest)

Football League Division Two:
Plymouth v Blackpool
Brighton v Stockport
(McIlroy - P2 W0 D1 L1)

Football League Division Three:
Huddersfield v Carlisle
(Carlisle deep, deeeeep in the snit now)

DM League:
Hawks v Stafford Rangers
(How did they get the nickname ?)

SPL:
Hibernian v Kilmarnock
Partick Thistle v Hearts
(Hibs have a bad record against Killie. Partick haven't won a game yet, so should be a walkover.)

(SUNDAY)
SPL:
Dundee Utd v Dundee
(ooh local derby match...)

I'll do my predictions tomorrow.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 4:56 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool v Leeds United 2-0
Chelsea v Man City 2-1
Newcastle v Portsmouth 3-0

Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier League
Livingston v Rangers 0-3
Celtic v Aberdeen 2-1
Hibernian v Kilmarnock 1-2
Partick Thistle v Hearts 0-2
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Paul W is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit premiership centric but..

If Premiership teams were ladies...
>
> Arsenal - Angelina Jolie - Look good, a bit maverick at times and you
> know they have the potential to really f**k you over.

> Aston Villa - Dido - One big hit. Fairly inoffensive really.

> Birmingham City - Maria Carey - Occasionally interesting, frequently
> annoying. Supporters are thick

> Blackburn Rovers - Melanie Sykes - Common as muck Lancy, constantly
> worrying.

> Bolton Wanderers - Natalie Imbruglia - Always looks like she might go
> down but never does!

> Charlton Athletic - Martine McCutcheon - Chirpy Cockney with the ability
> to spring a few surprises!

> Chelsea - Maggie Thatcher - Hated by millions, supported by idiots!

> Everton - Barbara Windsor - Been laughing at those tits so long we
> forget that once upon a time they actually looked quite good!

> Fulham - Andrea Corr - Not bad to look at but not much of her. Seems a
> bit awestruck with fame.

> Leicester City - Patsy Palmer - Generally a bit crap and second rate
> really, but some people like her.

> Leeds United - Christina Aguilera - Dirrrty

> Liverpool - Sophie Ellis Bextor - Individually all the components look
> fantastic - just doesn't work when put together.

> Man City - Madonna - Have been big at times - now lost the plot a bit -
> ageing stars. Nice new home though.

> Man United - Jordan - Dominated by tits. Quite repulsive really

> Middlesborough - Tara Palmer Tompkinson - Can look quite good at the
> back - but nothing at all up front to speak of.

> Newcastle United - Pamela Anderson - Can look good. Various unsavoury
> elements though.

> Portsmouth - Chrissie Hynde - On the face of it a has-been but you're
> quite interested in what she's going to do next.

> Southampton - Kylie Minogue - Sometimes you feel sorry for them, They're
> not huge and you've got a bit of a soft spot.

> Tottenham Hotspur - Kim Wilde - Glamerous in the 80's not so nice to
> watch now.

> Wolverhampton Wanderers - Lynda Lovelace - Big in the 70's guaranteed to
> go down.

As a Spurs fan I never found Kim Wilde that glamourous
Spurs 2 Middlesborough 1
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 5:17 am

Great one Paul. Like the City description.

Latest news from Blighty:

Alpay leaves Villa

Aston Villa have cancelled the contract of Turkish defender Alpay by mutual consent.

The 30-year-old came under intense media pressure after his country's Euro 2004 qualifier with England in Istanbul where he had a bust-up with David Beckham.

Alpay was given 10 days off by Villa but after a meeting with the club's executive directors he has left the club with immediate effect.

"In light of recent events, it would have been difficult for Alpay to represent Aston Villa again in the future," said Villa chairman Doug Ellis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...la/3209137.stm
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Fulham

Am I the only Fulham supporter here ?
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:21 pm

Default Re: Fulham

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Am I the only Fulham supporter here ?
You are the only Fulham supporter period !

Butseriouslynow.
This thread has hundreds of posts, but there's only a hardcore of about 6 of us.
Supporters here (off the top of my head)
Blackpool, Stockport, Portsmouth, Spurs, Man City, Dundee, Hearts, Hibs, Plymouth, Havant & Waterlooville, Exeter.
(Let me know if I missed anyone off)

Hey I know how to upset you -
Let's talk about the plans for your new stadium

Without Fayed's millions I doubt Chris Coleman can keep them in the prem, but at least you are not Wolves !!

Webbie.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 7:31 pm
Get em out by Friday

Hey webbie who's the Hibs fan?
Old Oct 24th 2003, 1:05 am

Originally posted by tony_2003
Hey webbie who's the Hibs fan?
Somebody posted on the thread that they support Hibs, but I may have imagined it.
Can't remember their name I'm afraid.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Paul W is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Fulham have enough to stay up. Early predictions. Wolves, Leicester, Middlesborough for the drop. I am just glad Spurs have found a way to win. Although without Kanoute Postiga and Zamora better start finding some goal scoring form. And I am now brushing up on my Scottish chants for the match against Holland!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 3:29 am
Get em out by Friday

No problem webbie.
Alright Paul, yeah there's about half a dozen of us use this thread everyday and a few others pop in now and then. Webbie is your man for UK footy gossip and most midweek/weekend fixtures don't get past us without a mention.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 4:11 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Paul W
I think Fulham have enough to stay up. Early predictions. Wolves, Leicester, Middlesborough for the drop. I am just glad Spurs have found a way to win. Although without Kanoute Postiga and Zamora better start finding some goal scoring form. And I am now brushing up on my Scottish chants for the match against Holland!
I think Leeds are in the mix for the drop too.

but what do I know, I am just a fat bastard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.