Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Oct 30th 2003, 1:49 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

(Edited my post a bit more to include the League Cup)

Gazza is.... *takes shoes and socks off*... is 36 ?
Well if Ince, McCall, McAllister can still do it, then why not him !
At the moment Wolves are doing alright without him, but if he's still got the touch he can change a game.

We missed a Channel 4 programme about him ->
"Inside the mind of Paul Gascoigne"
It was a serious look and not a pisstake.

But everyone knows that without football he is nothing, that's why he'll keep going.
Which is a bit sad really/

Webbie.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:50 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when he played for Rangers and Hearts played them in the League Cup Final in 1996. I think it was 2-2 at halftime and Rangers went on to win 4-3 with Gazza setting up one and scoring one himself....I was pretty dejected on my way home needless to say.

I remember reading later that at half time in the game Gascoine had gone to the club bar in his Rangers kit, downed two double whiskeys before going back on the pitch to finish us off lol...you have to admire that!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

[
Southampton v Portsmouth
(To be played 1st December)

Webbie.

I bet the Hampshire Police chuckled to themselves when that draw was made. Twice in a month LOL. No Police leave to do Xmas shopping then.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:34 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default CIS Cup Quarter Final Draw

From the BBC Website:

Aberdeen v Livingston
Hibernian v Partick Thistle or Celtic
Rangers v St Johnstone
Dundee v Hearts

The winners of the delayed Partick Thistle v Celtic match will travel to play Hibernian for a place in the semi finals.

The ties are scheduled to be played on 2/3 December except for the match at Easter Road.

That is scheduled for later in the month as the Partick Thistle v Celtic game at Firhill is not being played until Thursday, 4 December because of live television transmission.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:46 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS Cup Quarter Final Draw

Originally posted by DaveC
Dundee v Hearts
Oh hello...

(Haven't seen Scotch around here for a while) - Tony give us your thoughts.

I dare say that this will be the match or the round.
Hope they have the commentary online, I'd like to listen to this one !
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:34 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS Cup Quarter Final Draw

Originally posted by Webbie
Oh hello...

(Haven't seen Scotch around here for a while) - Tony give us your thoughts.

I dare say that this will be the match or the round.
Hope they have the commentary online, I'd like to listen to this one !
I think all the ties are interesting. Aberdeen & Livingston developed a bit of a rivalry in 2001-02. The Dons will be also keen to avenge a 6-1 home defeat by Livi in the league cup that season. The Huns v St Johnstone is a repeat of the 98-99 final, although I'd have more hope for St Johnstone if the tie wasn't being played at Castle Greyskull. And the Baby Tims v the Tims should be good, no offence to Partick. Not Patrick.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:57 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad draw actually, we avoided the old firm. Only Dundee can be a nightmare place to go in cup games, last time I was there a few years back (still had terracing so take a guess how long ago) they beat us on penalties...memo - 'keepers should not take sudden death penalties'

I fancy our chances though...but this is probably going to go to the wire. Us and Hibs in the final and I'm booking a plane ticket

My wish for semi finals...

Hearts v St Johnstone
Hibs v Aberdeen
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by waxwabbit
LLLLLIIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRRRPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOL LLL
FULHAM v LIDDYPOOL - Sunday PPV
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:37 pm

Selected weekend fixtures==>

(SATURDAY)

EPL :
Everton v Chelsea
(Everton going through a bad run at the moment, Rooney shooting blanks. Chelsea on form and should be a walkover.)
Leeds United v Arsenal
(Poor old Peter Reid. For Arse - I think this will be the last game before all the bans come into effect.)
Newton Heath v Portsmouth
(C'mon Pompy !)
Newcastle v Aston Villa
(Poor old David O'Leary. Ironically enough - since they let Alpay go and Dublin has been playing at the back, their form has improved !)
Southampton v Man City
(Saints are a hard team to beat now - I go for a draw)
Spurs v Bolton
(Doubt it will be another 8 goal thriller, but should be another wupping for Bolton.)

ENG DIV 1 :
Ipswich Town v Gillingham
(Joe Royle picks up Manager of Month again, said he will retire when his contract is up. Ipswich finally heading for the Prem League ?)
Preston v Derby County
Crewe v Reading
West Brom v Sunderland
Coventry City v West Ham Utd

ENG DIV 2 :
Stockport v QPR
(McIlroy : P3 W1 D1 L1 - Scrape a win Manc ?)
Sheff Wed v Blackpool
Swindon Town v Wycombe
Plymouth v Oldham

ENG DIV 3 :
Lincoln v Carlisle
(Carlisle have just come out of receivership but are entering the Conference. Can't see them escaping.)
Oxford Utd v Darlington

Conference :
Exeter v Tamworth
(Exeter are doing a half time halloween show with Micheal Jackson as special guest)
H***ford v Leigh RMI
Scarborough v Chester
(Barrow fans can't mention the name of H***ford. Dodgy chairman at Chester. Both of these teams are top of the Conference)

DM Prem League :
Havant & Waterlooville v Chelmsford
(Chelmsford are bottom of the league, H&V are third, will want to win this to keep up the pressure.)

Unibond Prem League :
Hucknall v Barrow
(Barrow drew 2 and lost 2 in their last four games, need to start winning again.)

> www.nonleaguedaily.com

SPL :
Kilmarnock v Celtic
Dundee v Hibs
(Ravi "Opened his account" midweek. [Football cliché # 5] Found his scoring boots.)
Hearts v Livingston
(Phil Stamp [yes he's still playing] will be rolling out for this game. [Turning circle of the Titanic and all that.])
Rangers v Partick Thistle

(SUNDAY)

EPL :
Fulham v Liverpool 14:00 GMT
Leicester City v Blackburn 16:05 GMT

Any teams I've missed let me know.

Last edited by Webbie; Oct 31st 2003 at 5:13 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Whoever you support, good luck to you this weekend (unless its Liddypool)
I hope we can show that the ManUre win was a flash in the pan.

SSHHHHH Did you know Patrick was a Blackpool supporter ?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 10:31 pm
Get em out by Friday

Originally posted by Webbie
Hearts v Livingston
(Phil Stamp [yes he's still playing] will be rolling out for this game. [Turning circle of the Titanic and all that.])
Actually stampy has been a major player for us since he joined and his fitness is no longer an issue. Livingston will be smarting after there cup disposal of Dundee Utd midweek, so it will be a toughy...2-0 Hearts though.

I think we should have a predictions league in the thread...keep it simple though, 3 points for a correct winning score - 1 point for a correct draw score. Anyone up for it?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:58 pm

Originally posted by tony_2003
I think we should have a predictions league in the thread...keep it simple though, 3 points for a correct winning score - 1 point for a correct draw score. Anyone up for it?
Think there are only three or four regular posters here now, so don't think it would be a goer.
Better to just post our predictions of 5 random games and then laugh hysterically at our Mystic Meg inaccuracies.

Webbie,
Old Nov 1st 2003, 1:15 am
Get em out by Friday

Probably right mate.
Well here are my wrong predictions for the weekends SPL fixtures.

Sat Nov 01 2003
Kilmarnock v Celtic (1-3)
Aberdeen v Motherwell (2-0)
Dundee v Hibernian (2-1)
Dunfermline v Dundee Utd (1-1)
Hearts v Livingston 15:00 (2-0)
Rangers v Partick Thistle (total anhilation....6-0 or something...memo to thistle players STAY IN BED LADS!)

Good fortunes to whomever you follow...unless it's Hibs

p.s 6:30 pm and still no trick or treaters...this plastic pumpkin full of candy...I mean sweets is going down fast
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Hoping we have a full strength squad this week. As you say, need the 3 points to keep the pressure on Weymouth, Craweley & Nuneaton. Taking Mother-In-Law shopping this am & results at noon then. Hmmm, Saturdays don't seem quite right.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 6:52 pm

Result !

Saints 0 - City 2 !
and Robbie Fowler scored

That's his 4th goal since signing, which makes it.... £1.5 million per goal - bargain !

Leeds gave Arsenal a 4 goal start, but couldn't catch them.
Poor old Peter Reid.
Plus there are more problems for him:
Leeds manager Peter Reid said Mark Viduka was left out of the team to play Arsenal for disciplinary reasons.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/3234139.stm
Mentioned Dion Dublin in my other post - about how Villa's form has improved since he went into central defense.
Well he scored one as well today. Good on him !

Div 1 - Wigan put 5 past Palace.
Can you imagine Wigan Athletic in the Prem league ? Weird.

Stockport... *Tiptoe's around subject*

Usual suspects won in Scotland, but Dundee drew.
Hearts now 6 points behind the blue noses.

Havant & Waterloovile.... *Lets that sleeping dog lie*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.