Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

Wikiposts

British Football thread

Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:33 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you boys may be putting your bums on the same seats as the toffs if the move across the road goes ahead!! Probably a good move for Hearts, better facilities at Murrayfield and selling Tynecastle should raise some cash - although maybe not enough to clear the debt?

But even accounting for your increasing attendances in the league (btw, a sellout for the Bordeaux game) there will still be a lot of empty seats during games - even for the old firm / hibs games - so the atmosphere will be pants. Isn't part of Tynecastle's attraction that the stands are so close to the pitch? Even if it means the pitch is too small to play in Europe.....

Talking of Hearts' debt, did SMG ever make a decision on what they were doing with their investment? I thought that they could demand half of it back around about October, but I didn't see anything in the news.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:43 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
Well, you boys may be putting your bums on the same seats as the toffs if the move across the road goes ahead!! Probably a good move for Hearts, better facilities at Murrayfield and selling Tynecastle should raise some cash - although maybe not enough to clear the debt?

But even accounting for your increasing attendances in the league (btw, a sellout for the Bordeaux game) there will still be a lot of empty seats during games - even for the old firm / hibs games - so the atmosphere will be pants. Isn't part of Tynecastle's attraction that the stands are so close to the pitch? Even if it means the pitch is too small to play in Europe.....

Talking of Hearts' debt, did SMG ever make a decision on what they were doing with their investment? I thought that they could demand half of it back around about October, but I didn't see anything in the news.
Dunno about the SMG thing mate, been so busy with UNI the past few weeks I've hardly seen any footy news of any sort. Did see the thing about Murrayfield though...can't say I'm for it at all. Unless Hearts are going to get a big investment and suddenly start competing on the same level as the old firm then a stadium that big thats only half full (if even that) will indeed be pants, cheap itchy material pants. Of course the option to get more punters in by offering free tickets to schools, cheap prices for OAP's unemployed/students etc would be a good advantage. Dundee Utd had a similar thing going on in regards to the kids...get the kids going for free and you are guarentee to increase your following later when they grow up. It has it's good and bad points.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 4:37 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

(Predictions) Results for today:

Southampton 0 - 1 Chelsea
Leeds United 0 - 2 Bolton
Stockport 3 - 2 Bournemouth
Cheltenham 2 - 1 Carlisle United
Dundee Utd 1 - 5 Celtic

Hard game for Chelsea, Arse still top though. No surprise at Leeds. Stockport five goal thriller ! No surprise at Cheltenham - Carlisle relegated before Xmas ? No surprise with Celtic - D Utd did turn up didn't they ?

And what of our predictions ?
Webbie
draw
away win
draw
home win (by at least 3)
away win (as above)
DaveC
Away Win - Southampton unsettled with Strachan linked to Leeds.
Home Win - Good performance for the caretaker.
Away win - Muchas apologias, Manc.
Home win - Carlisle rooted to the bottom.
Away win - By one or two goals, although I wouldn't be too upset with a cricket score.
tony_2003
Southampton 1 - 3 Chelsea
Leeds United 3 - 1 Bolton
Stockport 1 - 1 Bournemouth
Cheltenham 1 - 2 Carlisle United
Dundee Utd 0 - 3 Celtic
3-1 Tony ? Didn't notice it was Leeds then ? Dave thought the same. It's too late for Eddie Gray, he's not going to save them from the drop.
*Drags out old bloke from Dad's Army*
"We're dooomed...."
---
Well done to the Champagne Charlies for winning the rugger.
Still don't give a toss though.

"Biggest win since 1966... the whole world celebrating..." quotes the BBC News.
Not over here. Didn't even follow it or care if they won.

Going off to paint a barn now !

Webbie
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 6:18 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I never did make much from the Edinburgh bookies webbie. Bit of a shocker to see Leeds down there though. Is there a reason for this? I guess the sale of there BNP voting players weakened the side a fair bit? Aberdeen continue to disgrace there history I see. Celtic are not only seriously too big for the SPL but I alsi think they are fast becoming too big for Rangers...they are averaging 5 goals a week!
Bring on the hibbies tomorrow!

As for the rugby...well pimpbot reckons "england win a major sporting event" so it must be true, being she/he is a piller of wisdom...America also thought they had won a major sporting event when they won the womens football world cup...
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by tony_2003
As for the rugby...well pimpbot reckons "england win a major sporting event" so it must be true, being she/he is a piller of wisdom...America also thought they had won a major sporting event when they won the womens football world cup...

Of course Rugby would be a minor sport had the Scots won it ?
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 3:09 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Aberdeen continue to disgrace there history I see.
Que?
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:39 am
Get em out by Friday

Originally posted by DaveC
Que?

I was kinda pointing to there history...i.e a European Cup win etc, stuff they did in the early 80's...they used to be regarded as one of Scotlands top teams.

Yes scrumpy that is correct.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 3:37 am
100% Pure

I was kinda pointing to there history...i.e a European Cup win etc, stuff they did in the early 80's...they used to be regarded as one of Scotlands top teams.

Yes scrumpy that is correct.
I wondered if you'd been reading a different match report from me, that's all. They played 35 minutes with 10 men and lost 3 goals in the last 12 minutes (2 in the last 2). Yesterday was hardly a disgrace, but equally it's not anything to shout about either. Big picture you're right, the last 10 years have been a steaming heap of dung. A "Pit o' drie", if you will.

2-0 to Hearts, Gary Smith o.g.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:33 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dundee are doomed.

I need to cry.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:35 am
Get em out by Friday

Yeah maybe disgrace was a bit harsh, I just saw the scoreline and came to conclusions. Aberdeen are a team that the SPL needs to be in the top 4 along with the likes of Hearts and Dundee. Great day for Hearts as we beat Edinburghs minnows 2-0 today!!

2 own goals lol in recent games they have also thrown away a 2 nil lead in injury time against us
Old Nov 24th 2003, 8:22 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

STOCKPORT WON ONE!

I know you all knew that, but we have to keep this thread at the top of the list.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 9:01 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like somebody paid Hibs off! Was it you Tony?
Old Nov 24th 2003, 10:38 am
Get em out by Friday

Nah mate, we don't need to pay them, they're just very shite
Old Nov 24th 2003, 10:51 am
Up Yir Kilt

That's true.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:31 am
Get em out by Friday

Oi webbie where's this weeks fixtures? :lecture:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.