British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

cxx Jul 7th 2020 8:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12877729)
Oh yeah because that worked so well the first time didn't it? Just stay home for 2 weeks they said, it will be all over before you know it! Poppycock unless you are inferring all 37 million Canadians stay home for as long as it takes, no ifs or buts, no excuses, no food shopping, medical trips, no essential work trips, nadda! And then when we are done and have erradicated it completely from CANADA lets open up everything and let out friends south of the border in.

But most people didn't stay home the first time. They found excuses to be exempt and pottered off to the shops, maskless, and didn't worry how close they got to people. Then just for good measure they went out and protested because Justin did, so why not!

dbd33 Jul 7th 2020 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12878109)
A woman in Toronto on TV...’why should I wear a mask so someone else can feel better?’ :blink:

Ignorant, arrogant, selfish. :nod:

You want idiots in Canada? We've got idiots in Canada:

Shard Jul 7th 2020 8:16 pm

Top marks St Josephs. Perhaps in a few weeks time this woman will feel as ashamed as the dog walker in Central Park now must.

Danny B Jul 7th 2020 8:32 pm

This quote is as true today as it was in 1919

“Three main factors stand in the way of prevention: First,
public indifference. People do not appreciate the risks
they run. The second factor…..is the personal character of
the measures which must be employed…It does not lie in
human nature for a man who thinks he has only a slight
cold to shut himself up in rigid isolation... Third, the highly
infectious nature of the respiratory infections adds to the
difficulty of their control.”

Major George A Soper, 1919, The Lessons of the Pandemic, Science157

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 7th 2020 8:39 pm

Government here in BC didn't really give much choice to majority of shops/non-essential businesses, many sectors were forced to close. And guess what by forcing places to close, people tended to stay home more, and that in turn kept the spread somewhat low and manageable, and now we are in stage 3 of reopening, mostly back to normal, and still with limited new cases, is it perfect no, but seems that the trick with this virus is to quickly take steps early on before it gets out of control in the community.

In the end I think places like BC will recover quicker than many US states who took little action, or took action too late, or who opened up too early.

Also never turn a pandemic into a political issue, politicians should shut up and let the experts do their jobs in controlling it.

Pulaski Jul 7th 2020 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12878208)
This quote is as true today as it was in 1919

Major George A Soper, 1919, The Lessons of the Pandemic, Science157

Yes indeed! :nod:

A friend on FB, whole lives in Florida, just north of Miami, rushed out for a meal as soon as the restaurants reopened, and happily posted on FB that she had done so, and "felt safe" (FWIW, she is retired and must be close to 70). I refrained from commenting, but wondering how "feeling safe" helped when transmission of the virus is silent, invisible, and odourless - she would have no way of knowing if she was in danger of being exposed, if anyone nearby already had the disease, or not. :confused:

I don't know if she is still dining out, and I don't think now is a good time to ask someone living in the greater Miami area if they "feel safe". :unsure:

Jerseygirl Jul 7th 2020 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12878111)
You forgot, moron.

:D

Jerseygirl Jul 7th 2020 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12878214)
Yes indeed! :nod:

A friend on FB, whole lives in Florida, just north of Miami, rushed out for a meal as soon as the restaurants reopened, and happily posted on FB that she had done so, and "felt safe" (FWIW, she is retired and must be close to 70). I refrained from commenting, but wondering how "feeling safe" helped when transmission of the virus is silent, invisible, and odourless - she would have no way of knowing if she was in danger of being exposed, if anyone nearby already had the disease, or not. :confused:

I don't know if she is still dining out, and I don't think now is a good time to ask someone living in the greater Miami area if they "feel safe". :unsure:

much as I would like to support my local restaurants there are too many variables for me to eat out (patios only) or get take away. I haven’t self isolated for 4 months to be careless now.

Jerseygirl Jul 7th 2020 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878194)
You want idiots in Canada? We've got idiots in Canada: https://twitter.com/LetitiaMontana/s...284474368?s=19

I saw that on the news...unbelievable.

I was walking by our local Rabba store this morning and saw 3 people walk in without masks. An assistant came to the door and said they cannot make people wear masks. They could ask them to leave or refuse to serve them...but I suppose that leaves them open for all kind of abuse. :blink:

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 7th 2020 9:51 pm

I would be okay eating outside on a patio these days in BC, the case count is so low, hospital count so low, and even big protests didn't cause a break out, so seems pretty low risk, can't imagine its much riskier then grocery shopping and doing regular errands which we do almost daily now.

Of course all depends where you are and how many cases the area has, wouldn't catch me eating out anywhere in the US, and I'd be wary about even going to Ontario, I was actually pretty stressed when I thought I was going to have to fly to Ottawa and spend 6 weeks in Ontario.

dbd33 Jul 7th 2020 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12878238)
I saw that on the news...unbelievable.

I think there's a message there about living in a media bubble. She plainly didn't realize that her view is not widely held and is socially unacceptable. She didn't expect to be ratio'd and I don't think it could have entered her head than offending lots of people is a poor strategy for someone in a personal service business. Maybe she's just stupid but maybe she subscribes to wellness, anti-vax, pro-Trump facebook groups and thinks she's normal.

BristolUK Jul 7th 2020 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878194)
You want idiots in Canada? We've got idiots in Canada: https://twitter.com/LetitiaMontana/s...284474368?s=19

Retweeted by that woman

If you are uncomfortable with a mask,. refuse to wear it. Say: "I have a medical condition." If some snippy virtue signalling store employee demands to know what it is, refuse to answer: "It's my right to privacy!"
Sums it up quite well. Encourage someone to lie to cover up that they are merely uncomfortable and the one at fault is the snippy virtue signalling employee. :rolleyes:

Come the revolution...

spouse of scouse Jul 7th 2020 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12878262)
Retweeted by that woman

Sums it up quite well. Encourage someone to lie to cover up that they are merely uncomfortable and the one at fault is the snippy virtue signalling employee. :rolleyes:

Come the revolution...

Come the revolution, people who use terms such as 'virtue signalling' should be the first to be shot.

BristolUK Jul 7th 2020 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878255)
I think there's a message there about living in a media bubble. She plainly didn't realize that her view is not widely held and is socially unacceptable. She didn't expect to be ratio'd and I don't think it could have entered her head than offending lots of people is a poor strategy for someone in a personal service business. Maybe she's just stupid but maybe she subscribes to wellness, anti-vax, pro-Trump facebook groups and thinks she's normal.

When I first heard about this my first reaction was that it would be more likely to have happened in the USA even though I have discovered such people exist in Canada too. But then I heard about all the condemnation she had received on social media, whereas in the US she'd probably have received much support.

So at least there's that difference.

Danny B Jul 8th 2020 2:13 am

Pulaski Jul 8th 2020 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12878318)

Why was anyone with covid-19 allowed on board, I thought airlines were excluding passengers with, or with any symptoms of, covid-19? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 8th 2020 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12878321)
Why was anyone with covid-19 allowed on board, I thought airlines were excluding passengers with, or with any symptoms of, covid-19? :unsure:

Asymptomatic at the time of flight possibly?

Reading the link, this was back in January/Feb, things were different back then still, seems so long ago now.

printer Jul 8th 2020 5:25 am

Originally Posted by cxx (Post 12878187)
But most people didn't stay home the first time. They found excuses to be exempt and pottered off to the shops, maskless, and didn't worry how close they got to people. Then just for good measure they went out and protested because Justin did, so why not!

Exactly my point, it was never a total lockdown as you might get in a prison for example. It was pretty much requiring people to stay at home as much as possible except for............... and then there was a long exemption list. Clearly that kind of lock down just doen't work 100% and lets face it it was never designed to, remember we were being asked of two things, lets flatten the curve and releive the pressure on our health care system. Here in BC we did that quite well and so did other provinces so we completed the task as it was. Now of course there is panic because we are looking at what is happening in US and worrying that we will go the same way if we don't slow up but we cannot keep shutting things down and paying people to stay at home every few weeks and clearly another lock down like the previous ones is not going to stop this thing.

Pulaski Jul 8th 2020 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12878330)
Asymptomatic at the time of flight possibly?

Reading the link, this was back in January/Feb, things were different back then still, seems so long ago now.

Ah, OK, thx .... I hadn't realised it was that long ago.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 8th 2020 6:03 pm

Hospital in Edmonton has been closed to new patients and cancelled all surgeries as an ongoing outbreak gets worse.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...reak-1.5641882

dbd33 Jul 8th 2020 11:16 pm

Today I heard of the first instance of someone moving because of the Coronavirus. "They're never going to open the office again, it'll be remote working forever now, I may as well sell up and move somewhere nice before everyone else does". It's a thought that has crossed my mind but this is someone actually doing it.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 9th 2020 12:10 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878773)
Today I heard of the first instance of someone moving because of the Coronavirus. "They're never going to open the office again, it'll be remote working forever now, I may as well sell up and move somewhere nice before everyone else does". It's a thought that has crossed my mind but this is someone actually doing it.

Next step for companies, hmmm do we a Canadian working from home doing this job, or can be outsource to a cheaper country.

dbd33 Jul 9th 2020 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12878783)
Next step for companies, hmmm do we a Canadian working from home doing this job, or can be outsource to a cheaper country.

Companies unconcerned about customer service; Bell and Lowes, for example, have long since outsourced their call centres and many computer systems use "cloud" storage which allows locating the data in the cheapest place in the world this week. I don't know that there's much margin in outsourcing more computer jobs, I've worked on lots of in-sourcing contracts and generally, so long as the workers are paid hourly and have no benefits, they're actually cheaper in Florida than Bangalore and no more expensive here than they would be in India. Companies outsource to, say, Ireland, not because it's cheaper but because the cost is the same and better expertise is available.

The garment industry may be another story..

dbd33 Jul 9th 2020 2:12 am

I think this a well written piece on how the current government came to make such a balls up of the pandemic: https://www.newstatesman.com/2020/07...OJkEQKvq373vQk

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 9th 2020 2:20 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878795)
Companies unconcerned about customer service; Bell and Lowes, for example, have long since outsourced their call centres and many computer systems use "cloud" storage which allows locating the data in the cheapest place in the world this week. I don't know that there's much margin in outsourcing more computer jobs, I've worked on lots of in-sourcing contracts and generally, so long as the workers are paid hourly and have no benefits, they're actually cheaper in Florida than Bangalore and no more expensive here than they would be in India. Companies outsource to, say, Ireland, not because it's cheaper but because the cost is the same and better expertise is available.

The garment industry may be another story..

True. Tech jobs do seem to be growing in Vancouver with various companies. Makes me wish I was techy type....ha ha but then I find most technology utterly boring in regards to how they work, so probably wouldn't work out well.

Some companies like Purolator have gone a step further and make you deal with their stupid robot assistant help before even letting you get to a human, that is hands down horrible customer service, their stupid robot isn't capable of providing help, asks over and over what you mean, silly thing they have.

Maybe the goal is to frustrate people so they stop trying.

7/11 had to cancel slurpee day this year due to COVID

dbd33 Jul 9th 2020 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12878807)

Some companies like Purolator have gone a step further and make you deal with their stupid robot assistant help

Chick-Fil-A have had that for years. I was never able to drawl enough to order a sandwich.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 9th 2020 3:48 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878810)
Chick-Fil-A have had that for years. I was never able to drawl enough to order a sandwich.

I've never been patient enough to wait in their long line.

Zoe Bell Jul 9th 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12878773)

have to admit that Ben and i are mulling this over. We live in the city for the ability to walk everywhere and be close to restaurants and the like

now the appeal of going out is reduced and works has proven that it can be done remotely for both of us......the thought of more hobby space is appealing

DigitalGhost Jul 9th 2020 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12878988)
have to admit that Ben and i are mulling this over. We live in the city for the ability to walk everywhere and be close to restaurants and the like

now the appeal of going out is reduced and works has proven that it can be done remotely for both of us......the thought of more hobby space is appealing

I think depending on the industry in which you work, I wouldn't count on remote work always being a possibility. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised recently are still trying to recruit for people who can work in their local area and I work in the tech sector which would likely be at the forefront of any home-working revolution, especially considering that on-premises data centres are starting to become less and less common. A lot of businesses will no doubt be doing reviews once they return to normality to figure out how much all the recent home working has cost them in terms of productivity, support and business continuity.

Jerseygirl Jul 9th 2020 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12878988)

We have been at our house for the last 18 months. Initially it was because our daughter was ill and she moved in for several months. Then we were on holiday for approx 3 months...which took us to the beginning of this year. We decided to stay here because we thought there was less chance of getting the virus, although from what I understand there has been very few cases in condos. Although we are down by the lake, we miss being in the city and intend to spend the majority of our time there once this is over.

Danny B Jul 9th 2020 2:23 pm

This must be true if it came from the Texas Medical Association...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d6152a1f9a.png

Atlantic Xpat Jul 9th 2020 3:55 pm

My employer - headquartered in the UK but with a global footprint - has just told us that we'll most likely all be working from home until the end of the year, save for business critical roles where measures are already in place to mitigate risks. Since I rarely go into our local office anyway, working from home has been the norm for me for 5 years or so. I do expect some colleagues who have extensive commutes elsewhere in the world to be happy to continue to work from home. In time, I could see some roles becoming permanent WFH and at that point, sure why do you need to work in the burb's or centre of a city & incur the cost when you could move the the country. The problem of course is connectivity. Not so much fibre-to-the-home in the boonies...

Shard Jul 9th 2020 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12879026)
This must be true if it came from the Texas Medical Association...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d6152a1f9a.png

That's an excellent graphic.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 9th 2020 4:25 pm

Based on the amount of traffic and rush hour more or less back to normal in Vancouver area, I would say most are no longer working from home.

Anti-mask is moving to Canada, well its always been here just on a smaller scale so less videos surface.

Shard Jul 9th 2020 4:26 pm

This is worth watching if you're in the Covid Schmovid camp...

​​​​
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/07/h...ntl/index.html

Danny B Jul 9th 2020 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12879085)
That's an excellent graphic.

Can you see it OK? My original upload of that image was much larger but it was edited by a mod and now I need a magnifying glass to see it.

Original article is here for anyone having issues reading it

dave_j Jul 9th 2020 4:54 pm

I mentioned before that we should understand that there was once only one victim of this virus and evidence is that C19 is extremely contagious.
What this means to those who think logically is that each individual testing positive today has the same potential for spreading C19 as did patient zero.
Another thought concerns the US with it's 3M cases. There are about 300M people living in the US suggesting that today only 1% of available virus fodder has yet been infected. Now those who like to scare people suggest that there are 10X more cases than actually reported meaning that there are actually 30M cases out there... but this still only represents 10% of fodder available.
Now that evidence is accumulating that C19 is widespread and unrestrained throughout the US and that the US health system is already straining to cope, unless something is done, and I see no evidence of will to achieve it, we can expect to witness an exponential rise in cases in the near future until such time as all suitable C19 victims have been used up and this could very well induce panic within, what is a very fragile society.
The southern canadian border is the last bastion to isolate Canada from the US C19 menace, let's hope it holds.

Shard Jul 9th 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12879108)
Can you see it OK? My original upload of that image was much larger but it was edited by a mod and now I need a magnifying glass to see it.

Original article is here for anyone having issues reading it

I saw it yes. Also saw a recent Twitter post. Using my mobile.

Shard Jul 9th 2020 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12879088)
Based on the amount of traffic and rush hour more or less back to normal in Vancouver area, I would say most are no longer working from home.

Anti-mask is moving to Canada, well its always been here just on a smaller scale so less videos surface.

https://youtu.be/ALRZ_01ar40

The way around this is for the police to identify those who don't wear masks and then provide their details to the healthcare system. Anyone being treated for Covid pays out of pocket (in the US insurance exemption).

It doesn't need to be applied to every single person, merely the threat of it will shift public behavior. A bit like random breathalyzers.

All this assuming that masks are mandatory in the first place.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 9th 2020 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12879144)
The way around this is for the police to identify those who don't wear masks and then provide their details to the healthcare system. Anyone being treated for Covid pays out of pocket (in the US insurance exemption).

It doesn't need to be applied to every single person, merely the threat of it will shift public behavior. A bit like random breathalyzers.

All this assuming that masks are mandatory in the first place.

It's very patchwork in Canada in regards to masks, some places its mandatory by government order, and in other places its not. BC for example has not made masks mandatory.

I wonder if charging people for healthcare in that situation would be legal in Canada, would almost certainly lead to a lawsuit I would imagine.