British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 6:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12874835)
.... Why do some of you think it's any different now when it's even more important?

Obviously you are an agent of the conspiracy, spreading disinformation to help Bill Gates and the New World Order oppress the free world! :rolleyes:

Siouxie Jul 1st 2020 6:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874876)
Obviously you are an agent of the conspiracy, spreading disinformation to help Bill Gates and the New World Order opress the free world! :rolleyes:

Sadly there are many who believe that to be true..... including someone I know :( :banghead:

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 6:36 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12874877)
Sadly there are many who believe that to be true..... including someone I know. ....

Yes, stupidity knows almost no bounds. :(

I take occasional pot-shots against such nonsense in comments under news videos posted on YouTube, but p!$$!in9 in the wind doesn't begin to describe the futility of trying to apply logic in the face of such madness. A couple of days someone accused me of being "a slave" by following the order to wear a mask (as an aside I have been wearing one on my weekly grocery expeditions, and the other rare trips I make away from Pulaski Manor, since March when "they" (WHO, US gov, UK gov, etc.) were busy telliing us not to wear masks). I responded by noting that there are already laws requiring him to wear enough clothes to cover his genitals, and asking him if that made him a slave too? I didn't get a reply! :rofl:

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 7:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12874825)
Just noticed, even your avatar is wearing a mask. :lol:

It's the MTM cat from St Elsewhere. The Hill Street Blues one was dressed as a cop :nod:

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 7:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874881)
I responded by noting that there are already laws requiring him to wear enough clothes to cover his genitals, and asking him if that made him a slave too? I didn't get a reply! :rofl:

He probably wasn't wearing any and is wondering how you saw. :lol:

Jerseygirl Jul 1st 2020 7:48 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12874835)
In olden days, pre corona, we medical professionals used to wear regukar masks to protect the parient from us and n95 masks to protect ourselves from the patient. Patients and visitors were asked to wear a mask if they had a cough or cold. Proven infection control measures. Why do some of you think it's any different now when it's even more important?

because some think they are more superior/knowledgable/invincible whereas in reality they are ignorant/selfish/vulnerable.

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 7:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12874931)
because some think they are more superior/knowledgable/invincible whereas in reality they are ignorant/selfish/vulnerable.

Many seem to think that some combination of religious belief and knowledge of perceived conspiracy theories trumps science, medical science, and statistics. :confused:

One of my favourite observations at the moment, in arguing with covidiots, is that "128,000 people [or whatever the current number is] in the US weren't killed by a conspiracy theory."

Shard Jul 1st 2020 7:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874933)
Many seem to think that some combination of religious belief and knowledge of perceived conspiracy theories trumps science, medical science, and statistics. :confused:

One of my favourite observations at the moment, in arguing with covidiots, is that "128,000 people [or whatever the current number is] in the US weren't killed by a conspiracy theory."

Do you have the energy to argue with such people? What's the point?

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 8:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12874935)
Do you have the energy to argue with such people?

Not really, I just throw out a barbed or snarky comment or two for my own amusement. :o

Examples:
When told to "Do my own research", I replied "I have done my own research, and continue to do so, and have concluded that your view point is profoundly ignorant of the facts."

In response to a "Give me freedom or give me death" trope: "Those two things are not mutually exclusive! LOL"

And in response to a random assertion that coronavirus test kits are contaminated with coronavirus to further speread the disease: "Ah yes, another twist to the Grand Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory!"


What's the point?
Are you Mrs P? :unsure:

bats Jul 1st 2020 8:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874876)
Obviously you are an agent of the conspiracy, spreading disinformation to help Bill Gates and the New World Order oppress the free world! :rolleyes:

I like to think so.

oh, I did read that COVID was caused by the heavy metals in the flu vaccine. Seemed obvious to me.

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 8:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12874947)
... Oh, I did read that COVID was caused by the heavy metals in the flu vaccine. Seemed obvious to me.

Which is probably the most ridiculous slur on the reputation of heavy metal since Tipper Gore was running the PMRC. :lol:

Shard Jul 1st 2020 8:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874945)
Not really, I just throw out a barbed or snarky comment or two for my own amusement. :o

Examples:
When told to "Do my own research", I replied "I have done my own research, and continue to do so, and have concluded that your view point is profoundly ignorant of the facts."

In response to a "Give me freedom or give me death" trope: "Those two things are not mutually exclusive! LOL"

And in response to a random assertion that coronavirus test kits are contaminated with coronavirus to further speread the disease: "Ah yes, another twist to the Grand Coronavirus Conspiracy Theory!"


Are you Mrs P? :unsure:

As much as I like the US, some Americans would drive me mental.

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 8:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12874964)
As much as I like the US, some Americans would drive me mental.

I agree, and I only maintain my sanity in the presence of some, by nodding and smiling, and ignoring some of them entirely. :lol:

MillieF Jul 1st 2020 9:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I'm sure I'm seeing something wrongly here, but....we are in the middle of a pandemic, the like of which has never been seen. I did in fact meet my husband during an outbreak of bubonic plague whilst paddling through a very shallow foot bath of dubious looking antiseptic on a border...but...I followed the rules and lived another day. Why in heavens name would anyone think that this is anything other than chaos and bad planning on the part of the US? They are becoming infected because they can't even wait a few weeks, they have been the architects of their own problems. What is this guff about face masks? I don't like wearing them...they make me hot and sticky! Poor me! The other person on the other side of my mask doesn't need to be worried about me...give the other person a break? It's only good manners!

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 9:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12874935)
Do you have the energy to argue with such people? What's the point?


Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874945)
Are you Mrs P? :unsure:

An old favourite.


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...5a8152efa8.jpg


Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 9:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12874981)
I'm sure I'm seeing something wrongly here, but....we are in the middle of a pandemic, the like of which has never been seen. .....

..... In anyone who is alive to day's lifetime. The Black Death and the Great Plague were worse, much worse. The jury is still out on whether the flu pandemic of 1918-1921 was worse. :unsure:

.... I did in fact meet my husband during an outbreak of bubonic plague whilst paddling through a very shallow foot bath of dubious looking antiseptic on a border...but...I followed the rules and lived another day. Why in heavens name would anyone think that this is anything other than chaos and bad planning on the part of the US? They are becoming infected because they can't even wait a few weeks, they have been the architects of their own problems. What is this guff about face masks? I don't like wearing them...they make me hot and sticky! Poor me! The other person on the other side of my mask doesn't need to be worried about me...give the other person a break? It's only good manners!
The seeds of the problem in the US is that the US constitution guarantees, certain specific rights for individuals, which are basically freedoms from being told what to do by the government, and those rights are absolute, there is no "except if there is a global pandemic" clause.

So the restrictions to try to reduce the numbers of cornavirus infections in the US, that have been most successful, most widely implemented and observed in the US, are public safety restrictions on restaurants, hotels, and theatres, which require public safety inspections and certificates to be allowed to operate. But while some states have tried to close churches, and in fairness most US churches have taken the hint and closed, when a few churches have challenged in court the right of a state government to close a church, the churches have invariably won - on the basis that the US constitution guarantees the rights of citizens to practice their religion without any restriction by the government.

Other things that have been successfully closed in the US are parks, beaches and other public spaces - if the city owns the park then the city can close the park.

Then there is the matter of the US lunatics who sincerely believe that the state and federal governments are out to get them, to take their rights and liberties and force them into government run servitude. There is no hope of trying to rationize with such people, but while the hard liners are relatively rare, I would say that perhaps 20% of Americans have some degree of sympathy for such ideas and thoughts, and the non-mask-wearing loonies and the crowds in parks and on beaches are drawn from that 20% of the population.

Jerseygirl Jul 1st 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874933)
Many seem to think that some combination of religious belief and knowledge of perceived conspiracy theories trumps science, medical science, and statistics. :confused:

One of my favourite observations at the moment, in arguing with covidiots, is that "128,000 people [or whatever the current number is] in the US weren't killed by a conspiracy theory."

there was an American on TV last night who said they would not wear masks because ‘God will save us’. :blink:

Former Lancastrian Jul 1st 2020 9:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12875006)
there was an American on TV last night who said they would not wear masks because ‘God will save us’. :blink:

He will once they get to Heaven:sneaky:

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 9:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12875006)
there was an American on TV last night who said they would not wear masks because ‘God will save us’. ....

I thought he had already been "saved". :sneaky:

God didn't care enough to save this idiot though, or it was just God calling him home? :rolleyes:

MillieF Jul 1st 2020 10:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12875001)
..... In anyone who is alive to day's lifetime. The Black Death and the Great Plague were worse, much worse. The jury is still out on whether the flu pandemic of 1918-1921 was worse. :unsure:

.

I do apologize​​​​...These were far worse...this was just a scary blip that I lived through, my father was a little boy in the flu pandemic...people did grow to shake hands etc after this too. This too will pass...eventually, one hopes...

daveincolchester Jul 2nd 2020 1:35 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I live in SW Ontario which has acres of greenhouses growing fresh vegetables.
The industry itself employs about 8000 seasonal workers mostly from Mexico who are housed in what are basically bunkhouses.
They live in close proximity to each other and when they are at work, they are much too close for comfort.
These seasonal workers are the victims of more than 75% of the reported cases of the virus in the area.
The situation is so dire that the Health Unit (not before time) started on site testing at these places.
One greenhouse has just been tested and the results show 191 (yes 191) workers has tested positive.
You would need a convincing argument to lead me to think that masking and social distancing is not essential to control this pandemic.

caretaker Jul 2nd 2020 11:27 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by daveincolchester (Post 12875088)
I live in SW Ontario which has acres of greenhouses growing fresh vegetables.
The industry itself employs about 8000 seasonal workers mostly from Mexico who are housed in what are basically bunkhouses.
They live in close proximity to each other and when they are at work, they are much too close for comfort.
These seasonal workers are the victims of more than 75% of the reported cases of the virus in the area.
The situation is so dire that the Health Unit (not before time) started on site testing at these places.
One greenhouse has just been tested and the results show 191 (yes 191) workers has tested positive.
You would need a convincing argument to lead me to think that masking and social distancing is not essential to control this pandemic.

These guys are all over the news this morning, and some of them are saying there are many undocumented workers that aren't getting tested because they're scared of being deported. One said that he and a friend who both tested positive were quarantined in a motel and nobody brought them any food or other supplies at all, and they weren't even contacted during that time. I hope things are better in the Okanagan.

Siouxie Jul 2nd 2020 3:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Interesting if you like statistics, ages of people, etc., COVID19 positive cases (confirmed) Ontario - https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/conf...6-7d8647f43350
Many of the under 20 and 20+ year olds appear to have CC - i.e. Close Contact - as the way they caught it... depending on where they live.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 2nd 2020 6:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12875190)
These guys are all over the news this morning, and some of them are saying there are many undocumented workers that aren't getting tested because they're scared of being deported. One said that he and a friend who both tested positive were quarantined in a motel and nobody brought them any food or other supplies at all, and they weren't even contacted during that time. I hope things are better in the Okanagan.

It's not as bad in BC but BC took some early precautions after a small outbreak at a plant nursery, the first 2 weeks after arriving in BC from Mexico, the workers are put into Vancouver area hotels, provided, food, healthcare, and other supports they may need, their employer is required to pay their wages during the 2 week period, but the province covers the other costs, so far since BC started this method, 2,800 workers have gone through with 23 testing positive in quarantine.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-19-outbreaks/

Housing on the farms after quarantine is still an issue due to most being small, crowded and not possible to socially distance.

" the B.C. government has organized and paid for quarantine services for migrant workers who arrive in B.C. to take seasonal farm jobs. The employers must pay wages during this time. So far, 2,800 people have been housed in Vancouver-area hotels, where they are provided meals, health care and other supports during their two week isolation. Of those, 23 have tested positive for COVID-19 while in quarantine."



My wife took a walk up commercial drive this morning, seems several businesses that existed in February no longer do, empty store front with for lease signs up. Guess they didn't have the funds to keep going through this.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 3rd 2020 3:08 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Mandatory quarantine extended until end of August.



Nand Jul 3rd 2020 11:34 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12875654)

Breath of fresh air reading that. The Canadians really do have it right, clear concise direction and healthy fines for non compliance. So simple and effective. Lucky you, living there.

spouse of scouse Jul 3rd 2020 1:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12874993)

Let's face it though, if people weren't so convinced that others were wrong, social media including forums would collapse :lol:

Danny B Jul 3rd 2020 4:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Anyone here reading this going for a pint tomorrow morning?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...laxed-12020362

Shard Jul 3rd 2020 4:27 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12876001)
Anyone here reading this going for a pint tomorrow morning?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...laxed-12020362

A bit early for me. Will rock up at 8 am for some brekky.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 3rd 2020 4:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12875790)
Breath of fresh air reading that. The Canadians really do have it right, clear concise direction and healthy fines for non compliance. So simple and effective. Lucky you, living there.

Varies quite a bit across Canada, I'd be a little wary about parts of Ontario and Quebec due to high case numbers.

Gozit Jul 3rd 2020 5:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12875790)
Breath of fresh air reading that. The Canadians really do have it right, clear concise direction and healthy fines for non compliance. So simple and effective. Lucky you, living there.

I don't see any more of a risk taking a holiday to a country with lower COVID cases/rate of transmission then Canada. But if I were to go the government would have to pay a month of CERB since I wouldn't be able to work due to the mandatory quarantine. So there's that.

I don't like being at home for long periods though, so I won't be travelling until that requirement is lifted. It is a little upsetting though given that many places are opening to Canadians. The EU did say it expected countries to which it has opened borders to reciprocate for EU citizens.

I was hoping they would announce 'safe countries' to travel to. Maybe after 31 August.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 3rd 2020 6:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12876023)
I don't see any more of a risk taking a holiday to a country with lower COVID cases/rate of transmission then Canada. But if I were to go the government would have to pay a month of CERB since I wouldn't be able to work due to the mandatory quarantine. So there's that.

I don't like being at home for long periods though, so I won't be travelling until that requirement is lifted. It is a little upsetting though given that many places are opening to Canadians. The EU did say it expected countries to which it has opened borders to reciprocate for EU citizens.

I was hoping they would announce 'safe countries' to travel to. Maybe after 31 August.

Easier to manage and control a virus the less people are moving about the world.

My guess, Canada will keep the 14 day quarantine in place, but "open" the border to some countries, but the 14 days will be kept to discourage travel to Canada.




Stumpylegs Jul 3rd 2020 6:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12876001)
Anyone here reading this going for a pint tomorrow morning?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...laxed-12020362

Will be leaving it a few days at least - a semi local pub to me has been doing takeaway draft/draught beer which I've picked up twice on walks by 1 litre sealed container, ordered in advance, contactless card machine, gets left on a table for you to pick up - has been working quite well and scratches the itch for decent beer.

As for watching everyone get out of control, get way too close and a huge queue for the toilets - no thanks, i might venture in for a drink on a random wednesday when its an empty pub a week or 2 from now.

BristolUK Jul 3rd 2020 6:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...5b6e00f74.jpeg

Gozit Jul 3rd 2020 6:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12876043)
Easier to manage and control a virus the less people are moving about the world.

My guess, Canada will keep the 14 day quarantine in place, but "open" the border to some countries, but the 14 days will be kept to discourage travel to Canada.

"easier" doesn't go together with how much of an actual risk it poses though.

Absolutely I would have no problem self isolating if I was mad enough to travel to or transit parts of US, UK, Brazil, etc. But to travel to my tiny Malta with 39 cases, 9 deaths, no community transmission? I should not have to self isolate on my return if not experiencing symptoms.

Other countries are relaxing this rule and have the same level of COVID-19 as us, why aren't we doing the same? I think you are right Jsmth, it is just 'easier' for the government...which unfortunately isn't that great of an excuse. But there isn't much you can do.

Shard Jul 3rd 2020 6:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12876059)
"easier" doesn't go together with how much of an actual risk it poses though.

Absolutely I would have no problem self isolating if I was mad enough to travel to or transit parts of US, UK, Brazil, etc. But to travel to my tiny Malta with 39 cases, 9 deaths, no community transmission? I should not have to self isolate on my return if not experiencing symptoms.

Other countries are relaxing this rule and have the same level of COVID-19 as us, why aren't we doing the same? I think you are right Jsmth, it is just 'easier' for the government...which unfortunately isn't that great of an excuse. But there isn't much you can do.

You could catch the virus on the plane or in the airport, so actually, self-isolation would still be prudent.

Gozit Jul 3rd 2020 6:53 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12876062)
You could catch the virus on the plane or in the airport, so actually, self-isolation would still be prudent.

I could also catch it at the shopping mall (which are now open) and I don't self isolate when I come back from there.

dbd33 Jul 3rd 2020 7:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12876068)
I could also catch it at the shopping mall (which are now open) and I don't self isolate when I come back from there.


Why do you go to shopping malls?

Shard Jul 3rd 2020 7:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12876068)
I could also catch it at the shopping mall (which are now open) and I don't self isolate when I come back from there.

The shopping mall is in Canada so that's irrelevant.

BristolUK Jul 3rd 2020 7:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12876068)
I could also catch it at the shopping mall (which are now open) and I don't self isolate when I come back from there.

But there's the difference. There are things needed from shopping, just like you could be run over by a bus crossing the street if there's something needed on the other side. How vital is that trip?

In this part of Canada we've got off lightly. A large part of that - as with New Zealand - is the travel restrictions in place between the provinces. A quarter of our cases and the only two deaths in NB are linked with a single person visiting Quebec. The provinces here are just opening up to each other - not to Quebec though. NB, PEI and Newfoundland all have very low figures. NS population is only 200,000 more than NB but their figures are completely out of whack in comparison. The NS death total is almost half the total number of cases in NB.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:40 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.