British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 17th 2020 3:12 am

Re: Coronavirus

Vancouver Coastal Health website shows an outbreak at St. Pauls Hospital NICU.

bc2015 Jul 17th 2020 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12882688)
At this point I think bars should be closed completely, and restaurants, coffee shops etc drive through or take out only. Seems silly to have people sitting and congregating inside restaurants and as many US states now show, reopening can cause issues very quickly.

Well the other way to look at it is that restaurants etc.. have been open for dine in since May 18th and there hasn't been a huge jump in cases. The restaurants I've been in (mostly picking up takeout) have been pretty busy but they seem serious about making sure there's no groups larger than 6, groups are physically distanced, ensuring that staff wear masks and taking other precautions too. I think it's right there is concern and people should continue to take precautions but at the same time it would be a kneejerk reaction to go all the way back to phase 1 at this point.

Danny B Jul 17th 2020 3:36 pm

Finally some feel good news re: the virus

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...herts-53442746

Paul_Shepherd Jul 17th 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12883127)

Fantastic. That certainly is feel good.... :thumbup:

Nand Jul 17th 2020 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12883127)

The Queen looks lovely as usual. What beautiful colour.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 18th 2020 1:01 am

28 new cases in BC announced today.

Hospitalizations are up 3 to 18. but ICU is down to 2.

207 active cases.

No additional deaths

Breakdown by health region
  • Vancouver +4
  • Fraser +9
  • Island +0
  • Interior +12 highest increase since March 31 apparently.
  • Northern +3
Infant at St. Pauls NICU unit has tested positive but showing no signs of illness from the virus. (the actual unit has been closed and patients relocated to a temporary satellite unit.)

Kelowna General Hospital 6 employees tested positive.

There have been 35 cases associated with community events in and around Kelowna related to Canada Day and other weekend events with many of these cases in people in their 20's and 30's some of which may not know they have it.

Vancouver Coastal Health put an alert out for possible exposure at Sandman Suites Hotel on Davie Street between July 7 and July 16.

Some additional flights have been added to BC CDC website, a few international and domestic, several linked to Kelowna.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/dise...blic-exposures

Maybe I will not instacart for a few weeks, seems Kelowna is the current hot spot for new cases.

Jerseygirl Jul 18th 2020 10:03 pm

The Federal Gov. have decided not to allow US teams to enter Canada to play the Blue Jays in Toronto. Previously it was hoped that they would be allowed to play the BJ’s at the Roger’s Centre after 14 days quarantine.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 20th 2020 1:18 am

Cases in young people rising.

Siouxie Jul 20th 2020 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12884320)

The relaxation of rules and opening of stages 2 and 3 - bars and restaurants, beaches etc., coincides with this, coincidentally .. :D

Data from British Columbia, Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island show an increase in COVID-19 infections in the 20-29 age groups; Numbers from the Public Health Agency of Canada show that during the second week of July, the largest proportion of new cases reported — 22 per cent of female cases and 28 per cent of male cases — was among the 20-29 age group.

Danny B Jul 20th 2020 2:28 pm

Fingers and toes crossed

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839

DigitalGhost Jul 20th 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12884589)
Fingers and toes crossed

Jeez, no wonder the Russians and the Chinese have been trying to steal UK research.

Pulaski Jul 20th 2020 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12884367)
The relaxation of rules and opening of stages 2 and 3 - bars and restaurants, beaches etc., coincides with this, coincidentally .. :D

Yeah, who saw that coming? :rolleyes:

Pulaski Jul 20th 2020 2:36 pm

Fingers and toes crossed

Stand by for random posts of poorly informed speculation and predictions by AndyRebell. :lol:

Paul_Shepherd Jul 20th 2020 2:36 pm

Fingers and toes crossed

Britain saves the world again! lol :britflag:

Danny B Jul 20th 2020 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12884598)
Stand by for random posts of poorly informed speculation and predictions by AndyRebell. :lol:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...5245592e92.png

Danny B Jul 20th 2020 11:00 pm

We were doing so well for the longest time and now new cases are getting much higher. :eek:

B.C. warned of potential for 'explosive growth' as 102 new COVID-19 cases announced over weekend

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...y-20-1.5655625

Jerseygirl Jul 20th 2020 11:18 pm

I am very pleased to say Toronto is still being very cautious with relaxation of the lockdown rules. The last thing we need is for the numbers to start rising again.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 20th 2020 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12884858)
We were doing so well for the longest time and now new cases are getting much higher. :eek:

B.C. warned of potential for 'explosive growth' as 102 new COVID-19 cases announced over weekend

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...y-20-1.5655625

Not terribly surprised, people are complacent, and I am kind of surprised how few in Kelowna seem to wear masks, although I do find people in stores in Kelowna do distance better, and following the one way markings on the floor better, so there is that at least where in Vancouver in stores its a total cluster. And the stores here have way less people in them, its like paradise inside Wal-Mart compared to the Vancouver store.

The trend seems to be you can have an open economy and just deal with high case loads, or you shut as much as you can down and have lower counts, but seems hard to have both.

I suspect some restrictions will be coming our way again by end of summer.

"60 cases that have now been linked to multiple exposure events in Kelowna at downtown and waterfront bars and private gatherings in the time around the Canada Day long weekend. Most new cases confirmed this weekend were people in their 20s and 30s, according to Henry."

"We are starting to see people who are testing positive in the last few days having a large number of contacts again," she said.

"We are no longer having safe interactions."

in the spring, most new COVID-19 patients only had close contact with three or four people, but public health officials are now having to trace 20 or 30 contacts for every person with a confirmed case of the disease.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 20th 2020 11:31 pm

They did provide some updated death stats.

"New statistics presented Monday show that 20 per cent of COVID-19 patients in long-term care and 22 per cent in acute care units of hospitals have died of their illness. The death rate drops dramatically to 0.5 per cent in the remaining COVID-19 patients."

Pulaski Jul 20th 2020 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12882722)
There probably weren't any in BC last February, or very very few, but you now think that "only" 21 in a single day isn't nothing to be concerned about. ....

You are not "in a very good place". Now is the time to take easy-to-do stuff, like mask wearing, and social distancing very seriously, so BC doesn't become the next Arizona. ..... "Arizona?" I hear you ask? "Isn't Florida the problem?" .... No, the per capita records are being set by Arizona.

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12882727)
I can't help the way I feel about risk. I'm one of those people who has never had a flu jab. I'm not concerned, life must go on. I social distance every time I leave the house and I will wear a mask when I'm told to or if I'm going to be indoors with lots of other people.

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12884858)
We were doing so well for the longest time and now new cases are getting much higher. ....

You sound surprised, yet you were warned of this just a few days ago but were resistant to hearing the message. :(

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 20th 2020 11:40 pm

This BC doctor spent 105 days in hospital with COVID and still suffering from effects of it including a paralyzed vocal cord, he also had other complications during the hospitalization.

Pulaski Jul 20th 2020 11:51 pm

Only idiots think that this is "just like flu". :(

printer Jul 21st 2020 12:08 am

Fingers and toes crossed

And today another story about a cholesterol lowering drug called Tricor that is readily available and cheap and allegedly reduces Corona Virus to nothing more than common cold.
The article was in The Sun so take from it what you will.A DRUG used to lower cholesterol could reduce coronavirus symptoms to the level of a common cold, a study claims.

Doctors found fenofibrate, which has been on the market for decades, significantly downgrades the severity of Covid-19 and could almost completely eliminate it in less than a week.

Danny B Jul 21st 2020 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12884865)

"60 cases that have now been linked to multiple exposure events in Kelowna at downtown and waterfront bars and private gatherings in the time around the Canada Day long weekend. Most new cases confirmed this weekend were people in their 20s and 30s, according to Henry."

Kelowna residents! #covidiots :p

Danny B Jul 21st 2020 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12884871)
You sound surprised, yet you were warned of this just a few days ago but were resistant to hearing the message. :(

Surprised and disappointed.

Subtract the 60 from the Kelowna outbreak and you have 60 new cases over the weekend for the entire province. Not great, but not devastating .

Like I have always said, you cannot keep people locked up until a vaccine is found, people have to live their life and be cautious at the same time.

Pulaski Jul 21st 2020 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12884882)
Surprised and disappointed.

Subtract the 60 from the Kelowna outbreak and you have 60 new cases over the weekend for the entire province. Not great, but not devastating . .....

Yeah, but now is the time to keep things under control. Once things sprial out of control ,.... well, ..... look at Florida. :scaredhair:

.... Like I have always said, you cannot keep people locked up until a vaccine is found, ....
Or apparently persuade them to consistently wear masks. :rolleyes:

.... people have to live their life ....
OK, fair enough. So far so good. :thumbup: .....

..... and be cautious at the same time.
Hmmm :unsure:

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 21st 2020 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12884880)
Kelowna residents! #covidiots :p

I just got here.... :rofl:

Danny B Jul 21st 2020 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12884905)
I just got here.... :rofl:

I'm kidding. I read that they weren't even Kelowna residents. They were a bunch of yahoos from the lower mainland.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7172030/k...hotel-parties/

caretaker Jul 21st 2020 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12885175)
I'm kidding. I read that they weren't even Kelowna residents. They were a bunch of yahoos from the lower mainland.

Thank goodness for fast and accurate tracking! The Krazy Cherry Fruit Co. in Oliver where 4 of those who got infected work, is the orchard owned by the people who own Oliver Supermarket, one of my favourite places there.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 21st 2020 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12885175)

https://globalnews.ca/news/7172030/k...hotel-parties/

Lower mainland and Alberta it seems based on various reports. Alberta is probably the biggest threat to BC at the moment COVID wise.

caretaker Jul 21st 2020 7:38 pm

Quite a few of the recent cases in Saskatchewan have been on Hutterite colonies, and apparently some have experienced discrimination as a result. I think because of their experience in dealing with agricultural disease outbreaks, containment should be right up their alley.
https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...-7e06df13a122/

Danny B Jul 21st 2020 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12885186)
Thank goodness for fast and accurate tracking! The Krazy Cherry Fruit Co. in Oliver where 4 of those who got infected work, is the orchard owned by the people who own Oliver Supermarket, one of my favourite places there.

Good job they never visited your favorite cannabis store, you would have been devastated if they shut that down for cleaning. :lol:

caretaker Jul 21st 2020 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12885346)
Good job they never visited your favorite cannabis store, you would have been devastated if they shut that down for cleaning. :lol:

There wasn't enough room in that store to do any social distancing, but he's probably figured out a safe way. Every town should have a place like that, just for the people who don't get it over the internet. I assume the contact tracers found out where the party goers had been.

magnumpi Jul 22nd 2020 4:20 pm

I hear people in BC are encouraged to use Glory Holes for safe sex during this pandemic

George Michael would approve I guess :)

Teaandtoday5 Jul 22nd 2020 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12885716)
I hear people in BC are encouraged to use Glory Holes for safe sex during this pandemic

This cannot mean what I was brought up thinking it meant.

Shard Jul 22nd 2020 9:15 pm

Would it be simplistic for governments to provide the odds of catching the Coronavirus (by postode or town, etc)? It's an easy enough number to understand, although admittedly clunky because the odds are changing every minute. But surely it would be helpful to the public in gauging risk between locations and over time. At the outset there was talk of the R number, but that is not intuitive for individuals and essentially functions as a traffic light.

Pulaski Jul 22nd 2020 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12885864)
Would it be simplistic for governments to provide the odds of catching the Coronavirus (by postode or town, etc)? It's an easy enough number to understand, although admittedly clunky because the odds are changing every minute. But surely it would be helpful to the public in gauging risk between locations and over time. At the outset there was talk of the R number, but that is not intuitive for individuals and essentially functions as a traffic light.

People would simply use anything in the low/ very low risk zones as a reason to take no precautions, and argue with even basic SD guidance. This would probably have the effect of driving up the infection rate towards the average.

Stumpylegs Jul 22nd 2020 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12885889)
People would simply use anything in the low/ very low risk zones as a reason to take no precautions, and argue with even basic SD guidance. This would probably have the effect of driving up the infection rate towards the average.

Not to mention I think it would also drive those in high risk areas to go "let's escape this covid nightmare and go xxx as they've got no cases" oblivious to the fact they may be spreading it themselves.

​​​​

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 22nd 2020 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12885716)

Yes it actually is/was on the BC CDC website for sex during COVID. Its been a running joke online this week...

This is the wording used "Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact."

COVID-19 and Sex

34 new cases announced today
1000 people in self isolation
70 cases now linked to events and parties in Kelowna

New rules for bars and night clubs which include, no dance floor, all patrons must be seated and no alcohol self service (such as going up to the bar to order)

"The B.C. COVID-19 curve is trending in a direction we don't want it to go — upwards," said Henry.

Teaandtoday5 Jul 23rd 2020 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12885924)
Not to mention I think it would also drive those in high risk areas to go "let's escape this covid nightmare and go xxx as they've got no cases" oblivious to the fact they may be spreading it themselves.

​​​​

this is surely the entire problem with the local lockdown concept