British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 26th 2021 11:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13076178)
He didn't ban flights, he banned Chinese people from flights Americans could still take. He was, and is, a racist and that was a racist policy.

No doubt Trump is racist, but the travel restrictions never specifically banned Chinese at any point, the initial travel restrictions barred any foreign national who had been in China in the 14 days prior to arriving in the US from entering, excluded US Citizen's and PR.

Those travel restrictions were a few weeks later expanded to include 26 Schengen countries in Europe.

The travel restrictions Canada is doing currently is exactly the same thing Trump did, barring foreign nationals from entering Canada if they have been in any of the South Africa region countries on the list in the past 14 days, exluding Canadian Citizens and PR's.

Trump is an idiot, is a racist, and proudly liked to claim he was banning Chinese from the US, but the actual travel restrictions never included any specific nationalities and applied to all foreign nationals.

OrangeMango Nov 26th 2021 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13076166)
Canada puts travel ban on several South African countries.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8404373/c...id-19-variant/

I'd say, Canada will probably put a travel ban in Europe as well, as the new virus is already in Europe.

Looks like in the worst case scenario we're back to the 14 day quarantine and that mandatory hotel rip of, even for the vaccinated?

It surprises me that the US hasn't closed the borders for travellers from Europe yet, they are usually the first to close borders.

BristolUK Nov 27th 2021 12:11 am

Things are still relatively okay here but even for NB things have taken a major downturn - relatively speaking.

Our hospital has outbreaks on four sections, staff tested positive, others isolating and only three ICU beds not occupied by covid patients. Most of whom not vaxxed of course.

An elderly woman had a fall a week ago and has been waiting 6 days for an ICU bed so she can be operated on for her multiple rib breaks. She's just coming to the end of the window in which an op is needed or the ribs 'heal' in a way that will make things even worse.

It's no time to need hospital treatment. I've told everyone in the house to be extra careful, almost paranoid. Just don't do anything with even a hint of risk of fall or anything like that. Winter's coming so if it's icy out, just don't go out. Or get a taxi door to door to avoid the walk to the bus stop.

dbd33 Nov 27th 2021 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13076183)
No doubt Trump is racist, but the travel restrictions never specifically banned Chinese at any point, the initial travel restrictions barred any foreign national who had been in China in the 14 days prior to arriving in the US from entering, excluded US Citizen's and PR.

Yes, fair enough, I was too lazy to look back for the exact phrasing. Nonetheless, he didn't ban flights and he did ban according to nationality, not as flagrant as the Muslim ban but still a policy driven more by race than health.

sharkus Nov 27th 2021 1:31 am

Could one say that the recent increases in cases in Europe are likely possible due to the new Omicron variant?

JamesM Nov 27th 2021 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 13076199)
Could one say that the recent increases in cases in Europe are likely possible due to the new Omicron variant?

I don't think so.

The likely victims of the Omicron variant in Southern Africa are unlikely to be able to afford flights.

I think the flight bans are more pandering to voters than anything.

Similar noises were made about the delta variant and that's not been the disaster that the click bait suggested.

Europe's increase in cases is down to poor vaccination rates.

philat98 Nov 27th 2021 6:04 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13076208)
I don't think so.

The likely victims of the Omicron variant in Southern Africa are unlikely to be able to afford flights.

I think the flight bans are more pandering to voters than anything.

Similar noises were made about the delta variant and that's not been the disaster that the click bait suggested.

Europe's increase in cases is down to poor vaccination rates.

Omicron has replaced Delta in southern Africa in only a few weeks. Even if it is not more dangerous it is more contagious. In North America and Europe it will soon be the dominant virus. Gibralta has a lot of infections despite very high vaccination rates. May be that is omicron?

Danny B Nov 27th 2021 3:32 pm

And so it begins….

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59445388

caretaker Nov 27th 2021 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13076330)
And so it begins….

Pah, 2 cases. Trust England to try to hog all the glory. No mention of all the cases in Europe both confirmed and suspected.
https://www.rt.com/news/541505-omicr...across-europe/

OrangeMango Nov 27th 2021 6:25 pm

Just wondering regarding the Coronavirus vaccine:

Why isn't there more public discourse in Canada on the 3rd vaccine? Many countries in Europe are offering it, not after 6 months, but already after 4 months.

I haven't heard anybody in Canada getting their 3rd shot after 4 months.

BristolUK Nov 27th 2021 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13076377)

Why isn't there more public discourse in Canada on the 3rd vaccine? Many countries in Europe are offering it, not after 6 months, but already after 4 months.

In my province they've been doing the third shot or booster for anyone of any age for some weeks now, if one of both of the original shots were AZ, as long as 4 weeks since the second one.

My mate in the UK got his because he was a care worker, although he stopped that some time ago. Seems he was still listed as priority even though he wasn't anymore.

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2021 8:09 pm

Covid numbers have been steadily rising in Ontario. 854 cases today, 927 yesterday.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 27th 2021 8:57 pm

Boosters shots for elderly/seniors/older adults 70+ and highest risk immunocompromised adults, have already been underway in BC, general population begins in January which would be 6 months from 2nd dose for general population, who started to get their 2nd dose around July.

BC doesn't report numbers over weekends, and yesterday is the most up to date with 341 new cases and 6 deaths.

Hospitalizations down 18.7 per cent from the previous Friday, but patients in ICU is up 5.5% over the previous Friday.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...44561f2b65.png

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13076377)

BristolUK Nov 27th 2021 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13076394)
Covid numbers have been steadily rising in Ontario. 854 cases today, 927 yesterday.

I had been wondering about that. CBC radio did a feature on people out Christmas shopping the other day. I didn't catch where in Ontario but Toronto seemed the most likely place where they'd be interviewing exited shoppers.

A guy said he thought it a good idea to go as Ontario's infection rates had been low for a while.

Jerseygirl Nov 27th 2021 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13076408)
I had been wondering about that. CBC radio did a feature on people out Christmas shopping the other day. I didn't catch where in Ontario but Toronto seemed the most likely place where they'd be interviewing exited shoppers.

A guy said he thought it a good idea to go as Ontario's infection rates had been low for a while.

Boosters are not generally available for those under 70 until the New Year, but there are calls for them to drop the age limit. Maybe the Omicrom variant will accelerate boosters.

BristolUK Nov 27th 2021 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13076412)
Maybe the Omicrom variant will accelerate boosters.

I'm sure that will happen if need be. Depending how quickly they get the kids done.

OrangeMango Nov 27th 2021 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13076390)
In my province they've been doing the third shot or booster for anyone of any age for some weeks now, if one of both of the original shots were AZ, as long as 4 weeks since the second one.

My mate in the UK got his because he was a care worker, although he stopped that some time ago. Seems he was still listed as priority even though he wasn't anymore.

Austria seems to be offering the 3rd shot for any age cohort over 18 with all vaccines, not only AZ but also BioNTech Pfizer and Moderna. It seems a free choice there.

I truly hope that Canada doesn't bring in another quarantine for the vaccinated, - that'll be a blow.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 27th 2021 10:37 pm

Free choice where I am and open to everybody, well after 6 months of your second jab. Seems most people mix and match.

Nand Nov 27th 2021 10:49 pm

The old vax isn't protective against Omicron, the protien spike on this new variant mutated so much its not like the original Wuhan SarsCov. Seems all people vaxed or not should lay low until more is known. It takes a few months to 'tweak' vaxes so boosters on shelves now would be useless if this new varient 'OM' takes over like Delta did.

I hope CovSars mutates itself into a mild sniffle one day. 😄 🌸💛💜

spouse of scouse Nov 28th 2021 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13076438)
The old vax isn't protective against Omicron, the protien spike on this new variant mutated so much its not like the original Wuhan SarsCov.

I thought there are no credible findings as yet on the efficacy of current covid vaccines against the omicron variant?

Jerseygirl Nov 28th 2021 1:35 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13076460)
I thought there are no credible findings as yet on the efficacy of current covid vaccines against the omicron variant?

I thought the same. :confused:

Piff Poff Nov 28th 2021 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13076412)
Boosters are not generally available for those under 70 until the New Year, but there are calls for them to drop the age limit. Maybe the Omicrom variant will accelerate boosters.

My friend has had the booster. She's had 1 Astra Zeneca, 1 Pfizer and 1 Moderna. She forgot which ones she'd had. Needed the booster as She's traveling.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 28th 2021 6:21 am

More pandemic burnout for nurses, Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver one of the hardest hit in Vancouver Coastal Health.

Some units seeing only 3 nurses for 37 patients.

Nurses union recently did a survey of their members, 35% saying the pandemic has them considering leaving the profession, and 51% of ER and ICU nurses saying they plan to leave the profession.

Possibly over 1,000, scheduled surgeries will be delayed at Lions Gate Hospital through to April due to shortages of staff.

Since 3rd week of October Lions Gate has had 2 OR's closed due to lack of staff which translates to 6-8 surgeries each day being postponed according to the BC Ministry Of Health.

BC estimated pre-pandemic that BC would be short 29,000 nurses by end of the decade.

It apparently takes a foreign trained nurse several years in order to practice in BC according to the article which probably doesn't help attract nurses to BC from outside Canada.

https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/ov...on-rep-4804360

The pandemic is collapsing the healthcare system.

Jerseygirl Nov 28th 2021 9:48 pm

2 cases of Omicron in Ottawa…travelled from Nigeria.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/two...iant-1.5684896

caretaker Nov 28th 2021 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13076650)
Suppose it shows how random travel restrictions make no difference really, by the time this variant was discovered it had already travelled to various reaches of the world.

Maybe it makes the difference between 2 cases and having 20 or 30 cases tomorrow. Slowing the introduction is supposed to buy time to study the new variant and develop a defense.

BEVS Nov 28th 2021 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13076650)
Suppose it shows how random travel restrictions make no difference really, by the time this variant was discovered it had already travelled to various reaches of the world.

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13076657)
Maybe it makes the difference between 2 cases and having 20 or 30 cases tomorrow. Slowing the introduction is supposed to buy time to study the new variant and develop a defense.

Agreed. Stop people movement to slow any spread and buy time.

Jerseygirl Nov 28th 2021 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13076657)

This. :nod:

caretaker Nov 29th 2021 4:39 am

What Dr Fauci said on the news was the physical appearance of the little devil indicates it could be more transmissable than previous variants. He sounded pretty convincing. If he's right, Omichron might be better at attaching itself to receptors in the nose, airways and lungs. Sounds like masks and distancing are the logical response, but it will be worrying until we know more about the level of sickness and long term damage it causes. I think the science is amazing; they are able to identify the parts of the new variant that are different and work towards tweaking vaccines to fight it. When you think about what has been accomplished in 2 years re; development, distribution, education, medical care (remember ventilator and ppe procurement frenzy) we're in such better shape now it's like night and day. Now that we have things more or less organised the time is overdue for the developed nations to start walking the walk and send all the vaccine doses promised to third world countries.

OrangeMango Nov 29th 2021 10:53 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13076711)
What Dr Fauci said on the news was the physical appearance of the little devil indicates it could be more transmissable than previous variants. He sounded pretty convincing. If he's right, Omichron might be better at attaching itself to receptors in the nose, airways and lungs. Sounds like masks and distancing are the logical response, but it will be worrying until we know more about the level of sickness and long term damage it causes. I think the science is amazing; they are able to identify the parts of the new variant that are different and work towards tweaking vaccines to fight it. When you think about what has been accomplished in 2 years re; development, distribution, education, medical care (remember ventilator and ppe procurement frenzy) we're in such better shape now it's like night and day. Now that we have things more or less organised the time is overdue for the developed nations to start walking the walk and send all the vaccine doses promised to third world countries.

The thing, is ultimately everyone of us will be infected with Covid 19, Omicron or not. A good example is looking at Gibraltar, 100% of the population vaccinated, currently the incidence rate is very high, similar to some places in mainland Europe, but hospitalization very very low in Gibraltar.

The only answer is vaccination not further travel restrictions. Travel restrictions and quarantine and other testing hurdles upon entry to Canada won't help at all, even though some Canadian politicians might still believe in it.

Vaccination in Canada should be mandatory, in the case if a vaccination rate of 100% of the eligible population can't be achieved. It's the only way back to a normal and decent life.

caretaker Nov 29th 2021 11:59 am

If there was only one flavour of Covid 19 vaccinating everyone would be a simple solution and there would be no need to slow the spread. However, each variant so far has shown to have it's own characteristics. I'm trusting in politicians to implement the advice of health professionals because in the cases where they haven't, people have paid and are paying with their lives. Epidemiologists and immunologists are the people who understand the problem and formulate the responses. Politicians who refuse to take that advice or delay implementing those responses to pander to the voters don't deserve much respect.

dbd33 Nov 29th 2021 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13076770)

Vaccination in Canada should be mandatory, in the case if a vaccination rate of 100% of the eligible population can't be achieved. It's the only way back to a normal and decent life.

Yes, but that's only part of the solution. Stoning the unvaxxed to death in Canada helps but there are still unvaxxed people around the world acting as incubators for new strains, they need to have the option to be vaccinated (before those who choose not to be vaccinated are sent to colonies formerly used for lepers).

Danny B Nov 30th 2021 2:28 pm

I shouldn't laugh

shelley748 Nov 30th 2021 6:13 pm

I cannot believe the ignorance on this page- you do know that vaccinated people can still catch and spread covid right? Also science 101, you should NEVER vaccinate in the middle of a pandemic because the virus is constantly mutating- what you will end up with is a super virus which will evade all of the vaccinations.

shelley748 Nov 30th 2021 6:14 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/novavax-worki...BNBLg4mViK605k

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 30th 2021 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 13077251)
I cannot believe the ignorance on this page- you do know that vaccinated people can still catch and spread covid right? Also science 101, you should NEVER vaccinate in the middle of a pandemic because the virus is constantly mutating- what you will end up with is a super virus which will evade all of the vaccinations.

Ahh well too late for me I have had 3.

Nobody believes that being vaccinated is 100%, what it does mean is if you do get it, less likely, the impact will in most cases be relatively minor.

Death and taxes are the only things you can be certain about.

caretaker Nov 30th 2021 6:57 pm

I had to go down to the south end Superstore, and on the way there were anti-vax protesters at the intersection going to the legislative building. I gave one the finger on my way south, then changed my plans and re-traced my route on the way back so I could get the two on the other side of the street.

christmasoompa Nov 30th 2021 7:37 pm

Phew, thank goodness we’ve got you to teach us Science 101. We wouldn’t want to listen to people with an actual education or experience in the subject after all.

Danny B Nov 30th 2021 7:48 pm

As you pointed out, it's not really a vaccine as people still catch and spread the virus after their jabs.
Instead, mRNA vaccines can be considered “genetic-based therapy” because they use genetic code from COVID-19. I don't care what they call it, as long as it helps prevent me from getting really sick, I'm taking whatever I can get.

BristolUK Nov 30th 2021 7:54 pm

I cannot believe the ignorance on this page- you do know that vaccinated people can still catch and spread covid right? .

Yes, that would be why numerous people have mentioned it.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 30th 2021 9:36 pm

Seems the new variant is easy to get even if vaccinated but still less serious if vaccinated.