British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Danny B Nov 30th 2021 9:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
B.C. identifies 1st case of omicron variant. Infected individual recently travelled to Nigeria and is currently isolating.

Isn't Nigeria West Africa? what happened to this Southern Africa country ban?

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 30th 2021 10:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
The bans are Covid Theatre

JamesM Dec 1st 2021 1:35 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
It's a full on gong show. The media love the fear of the variants. We'll go through this every 3 to 6 months.

I bet the poor South African's wish they'd never said anything.

ChrisBan Dec 1st 2021 1:47 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13077391)
It's a full on gong show. The media love the fear of the variants. We'll go through this every 3 to 6 months.

I bet the poor South African's wish they'd never said anything.

yep. And we’re already seeing various places saying “it was present much earlier than initially thought”

OrangeMango Dec 1st 2021 11:00 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Seems like we're back with quarantine again, vaccinated or not, doesn't seem to matter. But it seems only about 2 days home isolation until test results are there for the vaccinated?

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...box=1638314446


Paul_Shepherd Dec 1st 2021 11:07 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13077391)
It's a full on gong show. The media love the fear of the variants. We'll go through this every 3 to 6 months.

I bet the poor South African's wish they'd never said anything.

Agreed.... the media lap this up... todays mainstream media is one big sh!t stirrer. They are worse than ever.

ChrisBan Dec 1st 2021 12:32 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13077469)
Seems like we're back with quarantine again, vaccinated or not, doesn't seem to matter. But it seems only about 2 days home isolation until test results are there for the vaccinated?

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...box=1638314446

yep not clear who foots the bill. Big win for the scam PCR companies; next to no choice on who to use here so naturally they charge hundreds. At least in the U.K. there’s hundreds of approved providers so you can get a test done fairly cheaply.

OrangeMango Dec 1st 2021 1:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 13077494)
yep not clear who foots the bill. Big win for the scam PCR companies; next to no choice on who to use here so naturally they charge hundreds. At least in the U.K. there’s hundreds of approved providers so you can get a test done fairly cheaply.

The testing at the airports for arriving Canadians used to be for free, as far as I understood and was previously only done at random? - not certain?. The pre departure PCR tests were to be paid for by the traveller.

The question is also, if I was to fly from Europe to a Canadian airport and then change flights and have another domestic flight, how would that one work?

BristolUK Dec 1st 2021 2:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 13077471)
Agreed.... the media lap this up... todays mainstream media is one big sh!t stirrer. They are worse than ever.

The alternative? People bleating about why we weren't alerted.

BristolUK Dec 1st 2021 3:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 13077471)
Agreed.... the media lap this up... todays mainstream media is one big sh!t stirrer. They are worse than ever.

See...this is what happens when the likes of Shelley come on and sew seeds of doubt with her links and false claims about "noted scientists"...people start to rely less on mainstream ie responsible media. Just one step away from looking at alternatives themselves.

Paul_Shepherd Dec 1st 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13077542)
The alternative? People bleating about why we weren't alerted.




Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13077543)
See...this is what happens when the likes of Shelley come on and sew seeds of doubt with her links and false claims about "noted scientists"...people start to rely less on mainstream ie responsible media. Just one step away from looking at alternatives themselves.

Of course we need to be kept informed, but its the language they use along with pure speculation that is the problem, why can't they just report the facts... a new variant has been found, it is being analysed by doctors and scientists...we will keep you up to date when we have been updated. Not things like "this could signal a return to lockdown and other restrictions" " and the vaccine could be ineffective against this new variant" all complete speculation and scaremongering, many people believe all this they hear from "responsible" media and react accordingly, then those people will take it a stage further by posting even more speculative garbage on social media sites, that in turn that gets amplified even further,,,, before we know where we are we have masses of idiots panic buying bog roll again!

This latest variant could well be a storm in a tea cup, we don't know until the doctors and scientists have researched it....and given us FACTS, but no the media has to stir the pot like they do with everything else with speculative and selective reporting. .

BristolUK Dec 1st 2021 4:49 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 13077555)
..."this could signal a return to lockdown and other restrictions"

Interestingly a google search on those words shows results on the first page from The Lancet - a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal among the world's oldest and best-known general medical journals. That's the very first result.
Next came a business advisory agency followed by another scientific journal.
This was followed by Global News Canada and then the BBC.
Then the New York Times, then something called OECD - an intergovernmental economic organisation with 38 member countries - followed by CBC, Healthline and the Guardian.

It's a hell of a long way down the list before finding something as unreliable as, say, The Daily Mail.

I don't know about you but I consider those organisations to be quite reasonable.


before we know where we are we have masses of idiots panic buying bog roll again!
I think that might say something about those people or where they get their information from. Perhaps pay attention to those sources listed above and read the information calmly and sensibly instead of flying off on one. Just read it logically instead of looking at the first few words and brainlessly heading for the hills.

Do that rather than go to Facebook where people circulate the names of supposed "noted" experts having done so little fact checking themselves that their sharing merely shows how they all can't even get the name right (they're duplicating the error as well as the misinformation) and a minimum investigation yourself shows the so called expert to be a proven crackpot.

JamesM Dec 1st 2021 5:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13077590)
Interestingly a google search on those words shows results on the first page from The Lancet - a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal among the world's oldest and best-known general medical journals. That's the very first result.
Next came a business advisory agency followed by another scientific journal.
This was followed by Global News Canada and then the BBC.
Then the New York Times, then something called OECD - an intergovernmental economic organisation with 38 member countries - followed by CBC, Healthline and the Guardian.

It's a hell of a long way down the list before finding something as unreliable as, say, The Daily Mail.

I don't know about you but I consider those organisations to be quite reasonable.

You shouldn't- those articles under your search term are all months ago which shows you how long the fear mongering has been going on. It's ongoing click bait to drive advertising revenue. That is how media companies make their cash.

The WHO has confirmed we don't really know anything so the mass hysteria isn't necessary https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-...ate-on-omicron

Paul_Shepherd Dec 1st 2021 5:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13077590)
Interestingly a google search on those words shows results on the first page from The Lancet - a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal among the world's oldest and best-known general medical journals. That's the very first result.
Next came a business advisory agency followed by another scientific journal.
This was followed by Global News Canada and then the BBC.
Then the New York Times, then something called OECD - an intergovernmental economic organisation with 38 member countries - followed by CBC, Healthline and the Guardian.

It's a hell of a long way down the list before finding something as unreliable as, say, The Daily Mail.

I don't know about you but I consider those organisations to be quite reasonable.


I think that might say something about those people or where they get their information from. Perhaps pay attention to those sources listed above and read the information calmly and sensibly instead of flying off on one. Just read it logically instead of looking at the first few words and brainlessly heading for the hills.

Do that rather than go to Facebook where people circulate the names of supposed "noted" experts having done so little fact checking themselves that their sharing merely shows how they all can't even get the name right (they're duplicating the error as well as the misinformation) and a minimum investigation yourself shows the so called expert to be a proven crackpot.

I totally agree Bristol....and thats what I do. However my issue I guess is that I listen to the news rather than search for trusted sources online... and I have never been any part of any social media site and never will be, I deplore it, This site and you tube (which I used for clips of my favourite things to watch or listen to or how to do something) is the nearest I ever get to social media.... unlike feacesbook and twatter. ;) which are scourge of modern society.

Even after listening to news, I draw to my own conclusions after establishing what facts there has been relayed to me, and always wait for actual facts. My point is that many people cant do that, they exagarate pn the speculation laid out by the media...instead of looking for or waiting for facts. Unfortunately this is what most of the public do...so it would help that so called respected TV and news channels didnt speculate so much as they do, people cant tell the difference between that and fact.




OrangeMango Dec 1st 2021 5:28 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13077600)
You shouldn't- those articles under your search term are all months ago which shows you how long the fear mongering has been going on. It's ongoing click bait to drive advertising revenue. That is how media companies make their cash.

The WHO has confirmed we don't really know anything so the mass hysteria isn't necessary https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-...ate-on-omicron

The problem is that this fear mongering and hysteria is mostly with politicians and lawmakers as they fear re-election issues. Provincial politics has been quick to turn to Ottawa for further travel restrictions. Now they've gotten everyone down to a quarantine in form of home isolation until a test result is received. In the UK it was similar where Drakeford and Sturgeon called on London to introduce longer quarantine

I'd suggest, lawmakers should let vaccinated citizens travel without further ado. Travel restrictions are a lot worse than they are good these days, given that the virus and all forms of variants are everywhere by the time they get discovered it's too late.

I am receiving my 3rd shot by mid December and hope to return to Canada in mid January, quarantine free.

Gozit Dec 1st 2021 7:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 13077494)
yep not clear who foots the bill. Big win for the scam PCR companies; next to no choice on who to use here so naturally they charge hundreds. At least in the U.K. there’s hundreds of approved providers so you can get a test done fairly cheaply.

When arrival testing was mandatory back in July it was free, I expect it to be free now as well.

BristolUK Dec 1st 2021 7:44 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13077600)
You shouldn't- those articles under your search term are all months ago which shows you how long the fear mongering has been going on.

Or it shows that the current "fear mongering" is somewhat exaggerated if there aren't many current results.

JamesM Dec 1st 2021 7:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13077650)
Or it shows that the current "fear mongering" is somewhat exaggerated if there aren't many current results.

It is exaggerated. Just like the Delta variant was and I have no doubt the next several variants will be.

The moment the South African's put their hands up they said that the symptoms weren't as bad. We're now seeing measures and reaction that frankly we didn't see in March 2020 for what seems to me like a good result- the variants are getting weaker. That doesn't sell though.

Danny B Dec 1st 2021 8:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13077600)
You shouldn't- those articles under your search term are all months ago which shows you how long the fear mongering has been going on. It's ongoing click bait to drive advertising revenue. That is how media companies make their cash.

The WHO has confirmed we don't really know anything so the mass hysteria isn't necessary https://www.who.int/news/item/28-11-...ate-on-omicron

Even the WHO get it wrong sometimes.

https://arichlife.com.au/that-who-tweet/

JamesM Dec 1st 2021 11:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13077656)
Even the WHO get it wrong sometimes.

https://arichlife.com.au/that-who-tweet/

The WHO get it wrong all the time :)

Danny B Dec 2nd 2021 12:32 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13077685)
The WHO get it wrong all the time :)

won’t get fooled again :p


printer Dec 2nd 2021 12:50 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I feel for anyone who has pre booked travel over Xmas. The ever changing rules are still playing a part in going anywhere it seems and of course coming back home after. The extra costs and hassle and of course the fact that it's you the traveler that must know the rules, there are no excuses apparently. I see UK are in a flap whereby Boris is thrusting forward with booster jabs for everyone and making masks mandatory again whilst others are criticizing the move as not tough enough. When you have to wear masks in shops and other indoor places but NOT in pubs, restaurants or apparently theatres and cinemas and there is no social distancing you have to wonder what kind of affect it will really have. Is it right that countries like UK can forge ahead blindly vaccinating the heck out of everyone they can whilst some countries are struggling to even afford to vaccinate 50% of their adults?
There was another article i saw but cannot remember now where that said University students had studied the time lapse between shots and discovered that a longer time between shots was preferable to just a few weeks yet we have seen a big push in getting 2nd then booster shots in a much shorter timespan than originally suggested. I myself had the request to get the booster only weeks after my second shot

Piff Poff Dec 2nd 2021 3:16 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
My friend leaves for Scotland on the 11th. She is stressing. I asked if she had to isolate until she got the test results, she said she can't see the point as she has to travel by train to Glasgow to take the test.

Tirytory Dec 2nd 2021 7:48 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Just on the train to Paddington to come back to Ontario. In the space of a few days it’s gone from there’s a new variant to requiring a PCR test at Pearson when I arrive and to quarantine until I get the result.

I mean it’s fine, but two years later and you still can’t reliably travel anywhere…

Paul_Shepherd Dec 2nd 2021 10:51 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I was going to go somewhere for a few days, mainly for new years eve... only the states, but don't think Ill bother now. Infact it still won't be a lot of fun even going to a local bar for new years eve....everyone has to sit at their spot all night and not move. Doesn't sound very appealing to me. Oh well there is always next year....or will we have variant 569 by then? :rolleyes:

Gozit Dec 2nd 2021 1:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 13077748)
Just on the train to Paddington to come back to Ontario. In the space of a few days it’s gone from there’s a new variant to requiring a PCR test at Pearson when I arrive and to quarantine until I get the result.

I mean it’s fine, but two years later and you still can’t reliably travel anywhere…

Yep...soo frustrating and i'm glad people are finally starting to see the light on how annoying it is instead of just being like we're in a paandemicccc travel is non-essentialllllll..


Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 13077777)
I was going to go somewhere for a few days, mainly for new years eve... only the states, but don't think Ill bother now. Infact it still won't be a lot of fun even going to a local bar for new years eve....everyone has to sit at their spot all night and not move. Doesn't sound very appealing to me. Oh well there is always next year....or will we have variant 569 by then? :rolleyes:

Where were you thinking of going? I was thinking of doing the same but rethinking as well...I don't see the point in quarantining for a negative result when they could just do rapid PCR tests on arrival, Canada just chooses not to employ these tests that are available widespread across the US and even Europe.

Hell, i'd happily even PAY for the arrival test if it was processed on the spot and I got the results before I left the airport.

I think most of society is at a point where there is very little appetite for increased restrictions or complicated measures now that vaccination is in play, even if numbers are rising and there are still new variants. Public opinion is very different on this then it was this time last year and the government needs to catch up.

Danny B Dec 2nd 2021 2:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Have you seen what zee Germans have just announced for the unvaccinated ?

Germany will ban unvaccinated people from shops and bars, unless they have recently recovered from Covid!

Gozit Dec 2nd 2021 2:44 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13077847)
Have you seen what zee Germans have just unannounced for the unvaccinated ?

Germany will ban unvaccinated people from shops and bars, unless they have recently recovered from Covid!

So you can't even go grocery shopping?

Jerseygirl Dec 2nd 2021 3:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13077847)
Have you seen what zee Germans have just unannounced for the unvaccinated ?

Germany will ban unvaccinated people from shops and bars, unless they have recently recovered from Covid!

You omitted ‘non essential’ shops.

BristolUK Dec 2nd 2021 3:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13076438)
The old vax isn't protective against Omicron


Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13076460)
I thought there are no credible findings as yet on the efficacy of current covid vaccines against the omicron variant?

:nod:

Jerseygirl Dec 2nd 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13077857)
:nod:


Yup there are lots of ‘rumours’ flying around, but the experts have said they will know more about the new variant in a few weeks.

Danny B Dec 2nd 2021 3:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13077856)
You omitted ‘non essential’ shops.

Goes without saying that they will still be allowed to purchase food and medical supplies! Meanwhile here in BC cases are dropping and restrictions are being lifted :thumbsup:

BristolUK Dec 2nd 2021 3:20 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 13077601)
Even after listening to news, I draw to my own conclusions after establishing what facts there has been relayed to me, and always wait for actual facts. My point is that many people cant do that, they exagarate pn the speculation laid out by the media...instead of looking for or waiting for facts. Unfortunately this is what most of the public do...so it would help that so called respected TV and news channels didnt speculate so much as they do, people cant tell the difference between that and fact.

I think one should recognise that based on their knowledge, expertise and experience, the 'speculation' is actually reported rather than coming from the media.

But this idea that many people can't do what you do I'm just not sure about. I know that many don't, perhaps because they're too lazy to read on or just don't want to know. Or maybe they just need to change their sources.

Maybe I'm just spoilt by being used to something more reasonable. Today is a great example.

Headline. Omicron may cause more Covid reinfections, say South African experts
See, immediately one can tell 'the experts' have said this and the media has reported it. It's pretty obvious.
Sub-heading. Scientists warn of higher rate of repeat infections but say vaccines appear to protect against serious illness.

So even before reading the actual report there are expert scientists informing us that natural immunity may not apply but don't worry, the existing vaccines are still good.

So a balance of good and bad aspects and very clearly the media reporting expert and scientific opinion.

If some people are just seeing doom and gloom and shit stirring media then maybe it's time to change their media resources.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 2nd 2021 4:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Nand Dec 2nd 2021 4:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I'm feeling very positive about the mutations, I think its the beginning of the end! 😄

Gozit Dec 2nd 2021 4:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13077894)

I know the show is supposed to be satire but its scary how accurate it is :unsure:


Originally Posted by Nand (Post 13077898)
I'm feeling very positive about the mutations, I think its the beginning of the end! 😄

The end of what? :lol:

BristolUK Dec 2nd 2021 11:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Bloody mainstream media shit stirring again. Oh, wait...
Covid booster shots significantly strengthen immunity, trial finds

Covid booster shots can dramatically strengthen the body’s immune defences, according to a study that raises hopes of preventing a winter wave of severe disease driven by the Omicron variant.
:thumbup:

printer Dec 3rd 2021 1:17 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13077861)
Goes without saying that they will still be allowed to purchase food and medical supplies! Meanwhile here in BC cases are dropping and restrictions are being lifted :thumbsup:

I think if dbd33 was in charge they wouldn't be allowed food or meds, they would be under permanent house arrest. :rofl:

OrangeMango Dec 3rd 2021 9:33 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 13077833)
I think most of society is at a point where there is very little appetite for increased restrictions or complicated measures now that vaccination is in play, even if numbers are rising and there are still new variants. Public opinion is very different on this then it was this time last year and the government needs to catch up.

I'd say, governments and lawmakers should allow fully vaccinated people ( possibly the 3rd shot mandatory and boosters every 6 months or every year ) to travel and roam around freely. No arrive apps, no test, no forms to fill out, to upload, nothing, just the vaccine passport and the QR code and one should be good to go.

Tirytory Dec 3rd 2021 10:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 13077833)
Yep...soo frustrating and i'm glad people are finally starting to see the light on how annoying it is instead of just being like we're in a paandemicccc travel is non-essentialllllll..

Where were you thinking of going? I was thinking of doing the same but rethinking as well...I don't see the point in quarantining for a negative result when they could just do rapid PCR tests on arrival, Canada just chooses not to employ these tests that are available widespread across the US and even Europe.

Hell, i'd happily even PAY for the arrival test if it was processed on the spot and I got the results before I left the airport.

I think most of society is at a point where there is very little appetite for increased restrictions or complicated measures now that vaccination is in play, even if numbers are rising and there are still new variants. Public opinion is very different on this then it was this time last year and the government needs to catch up.

I had a rapid PCR test yesterday and don’t have to isolate- not that rapid as 12 hours later and I still don’t have the result.. new rules are not in place.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:22 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.