British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

OrangeMango Dec 6th 2020 10:37 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12943193)
That likely depends on whether or not healthcare facilities can cope or not. If Covid patients swamp ICU space and cause deaths due to other treatments being sidelined, as they are doing now, it will probably continue.

As said, only 0.5% of Covid 19 infections are travel related. It's nothing more than that. However travellers have to bear the brunt of all the community based Covid 19 infections.

Stumpylegs Dec 6th 2020 11:18 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12943341)
As said, only 0.5% of Covid 19 infections are travel related. It's nothing more than that. However travellers have to bear the brunt of all the community based Covid 19 infections.

But the reason that percentage is so low is because folk arent travelling.

If airports were busy transmission in airports would no doubt be higher.

Couple that with touristy destinations within Canada, thousands of folk going to lake Louise using the buses to get from lower car parks, coughing on each other at gift shops, then falling ill a few days later in little towns ill equipped to deal with much other than fractures and concussions for visitors.

Those travelling for business etc aren't now attending big conferences and packed hotel bars etc.

If travel was normal I would imagine transmission would be a much higher percentage of total numbers - as well as being the really important transmissions (as potentially 1 tourist is responsible for moving this disease across international borders).

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 6th 2020 12:09 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
How do they know what percentage are travel related, how scientifically could you measure this? I know in my State they have admitted they are not tracking every person who gets it and in any event there is to my knowledge no way of knowing who you got it from.

Stumpylegs Dec 6th 2020 12:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12943355)
How do they know what percentage are travel related, how scientifically could you measure this? I know in my State they have admitted they are not tracking every person who gets it and in any event there is to my knowledge no way of knowing who you got it from.

​​​​​​In the UK it's contact tracing and questionairres.
​​​​​​
Trouble is almost everyone has been to the supermarket multiple times in 2 weeks prior to their positive.

The other side is I know plenty of folk breaking lock down rules. However pretty sure rather than dropping their mates/family in it about holding a house party - they'll give the answer of "some bloke in tescos coughed on me"

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 6th 2020 12:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs (Post 12943356)
​​​​​​In the UK it's contact tracing and questionairres.
​​​​​​
Trouble is almost everyone has been to the supermarket multiple times in 2 weeks prior to their positive.

The other side is I know plenty of folk breaking lock down rules. However pretty sure rather than dropping their mates/family in it about holding a house party - they'll give the answer of "some bloke in tescos coughed on me"

Bit like my Google timeline for the month, shows some of the places that I have been to, but by no means all. A friends daughter has been notified to test due to a potential contact, and so far so good negative, but if he does test positive could it be due to the contact tracing or something totally different, do not see how you could know.

Jerseygirl Dec 6th 2020 3:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Record high for Ontario yesterday...1,924 new cases. 568 in Toronto. 15 deaths...8 in care homes.

Daughter has taken granddaughter to be tested today. She has a runny nose and has been sneezing. New school restrictions mean if she didn’t get tested, she would have to stay home from school for 14 days. Hopefully it’s just a bit of a cold. :fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 6th 2020 4:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12943329)
Are Americans being hospitalized for Covid having to pay for any of the treatment?

Most likely yes.


Rete Dec 6th 2020 4:32 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Does having a vaccine mean that you can't catch the virus or that if you catch it, it will a light case? Someone who has had covid can get it again. There is no build of immunity in the system to protect you from getting it a second time further down the line.

Rete Dec 6th 2020 4:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12943329)
Are Americans being hospitalized for Covid having to pay for any of the treatment?


YES! First their hospitalization is billed and the patient is responsible for the deductible and anything that hospitalization does not pay.

The people getting a free ride are those on medicaid (not medicare).

Danny B Dec 6th 2020 4:49 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Is anyone ever so slightly worried that they are rolling out the Pfizer vaccine to millions of us, yet they have only tested 43,500 people? I'm kind of glad that I'm in the age group that is lower down the priority list if I'm honest.

Jerseygirl Dec 6th 2020 4:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12943424)
Does having a vaccine mean that you can't catch the virus or that if you catch it, it will a light case? Someone who has had covid can get it again. There is no build of immunity in the system to protect you from getting it a second time further down the line.

Earlier in the week I read even with the vaccine you could still be a carrier. TBH I think they make it up as they go along.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 6th 2020 5:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12943430)
Is anyone ever so slightly worried that they are rolling out the Pfizer vaccine to millions of us, yet they have only tested 43,500 people? I'm kind of glad that I'm in the age group that is lower down the priority list if I'm honest.


A little cautious on my end, but as you say by the time they get to us several million at least will have been vaccinated so things should show up before they get to us.

Moderna executives selling off stock is a little concerning, would think if they have a successful vaccine their stock would increase even more, but some executives have sold off everything they had stock wise.


I wont be surprised if medical bankruptcies increase in the US in the next couple of years.


Stumpylegs Dec 6th 2020 5:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12943424)
Does having a vaccine mean that you can't catch the virus or that if you catch it, it will a light case? Someone who has had covid can get it again. There is no build of immunity in the system to protect you from getting it a second time further down the line.

From what I've read the tests have all been on symptomatic carriers, so potentially with the vaccine,you could still have and transmit the virus, but not fall ill ( surely a great concern for those in health/social care who will get the vaccine, who have highish risk relatives/friends - but aren't elgible for the vaccine for another few months).

I've just this week read the complete opposite, and that those who have had COVID are showing antibodies to this day(who knows how long for). The other thing I read was the number of reinfections is so low, there's a greater chance that both tests were false positives than it being a genuine double infection.

caretaker Dec 6th 2020 6:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
The Giant Tiger I go to was closed today; sigh on the door says Open Monday. Very suspicious.

Shard Dec 6th 2020 8:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12943430)
Is anyone ever so slightly worried that they are rolling out the Pfizer vaccine to millions of us, yet they have only tested 43,500 people? I'm kind of glad that I'm in the age group that is lower down the priority list if I'm honest.

I wouldn't say I'm worried, but not totally unconcerned either. I look at it as the lesser of two evils.

Shard Dec 6th 2020 8:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12943425)
YES! First their hospitalization is billed and the patient is responsible for the deductible and anything that hospitalization does not pay.

The people getting a free ride are those on medicaid (not medicare).

Crazy. Hopefully Biden will sort it out.

old.sparkles Dec 7th 2020 7:53 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12943355)
How do they know what percentage are travel related, how scientifically could you measure this? I know in my State they have admitted they are not tracking every person who gets it and in any event there is to my knowledge no way of knowing who you got it from.

They can identify related COVID cases using genome sequencing. They use it to link clusters of cases, and where the source is unknown. They can also identify the most likely first case in a cluster.

My guess is it happens here in Australia as case counts are low for most states - and most cases are from international arrivals now Victoria has managed to get control again.

SA had a small outbreak recently - thought to be spread from a cleaner at a quarantine hotel, but later identified to be from a security guard. All cases linked to a return traveller, but community spread rose to 33 cases, and caused more than 6000 to quarantine.

Danny B Dec 7th 2020 2:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
This looks like a Déjà vu from last December when we were reading reports of a 'mystery' illness sweeping Wuhan :unsure:

https://news.sky.com/story/andhra-pr...india-12154221


scrubbedexpat091 Dec 7th 2020 5:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12943674)
This looks like a Déjà vu from last December when we were reading reports of a 'mystery' illness sweeping Wuhan :unsure:

https://news.sky.com/story/andhra-pr...india-12154221


Kind of sounds like something might have contaminated the water? The common link seems to be using the same water source.


Danny B Dec 7th 2020 6:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12943737)
Kind of sounds like something might have contaminated the water? The common link seems to be using the same water source.

Lets hope they weren't preparing pangolin meat in that water... :blink:

caretaker Dec 7th 2020 6:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
An old friend (he's really old) who usually saves me his moose and deer hearts every year has been in ICU for a couple of weeks now. He's still able to talk and eat, but he's been on total pressurized oxygen for a week. He's signed the form that he doesn't want to go on a ventilator, and is not to be resuscitated. This is a great big strong guy, who even at his age could knock most men flat. If it can take him, it can take anyone.

BEVS Dec 7th 2020 10:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12943782)
An old friend (he's really old) who usually saves me his moose and deer hearts every year has been in ICU for a couple of weeks now. He's still able to talk and eat, but he's been on total pressurized oxygen for a week. He's signed the form that he doesn't want to go on a ventilator, and is not to be resuscitated. This is a great big strong guy, who even at his age could knock most men flat. If it can take him, it can take anyone.

:( Gawd. I'm sorry to read this Caretaker. Hope this big strong man pulls through.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 7th 2020 11:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
35 deaths over the weekend in BC and 2,020 new cases.

The restrictions put in place a month ago did not reduce spread as hoped and have been extended.

Upside, Health Canada is expected to approve Pfizer vaccine this week, and possible Canada may receive some this month.




Siouxie Dec 8th 2020 12:18 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I still think that there are higher numbers because higher numbers are getting tested as a precaution, rather than because they are actually ill.. I'd far rather see the numbers for active cases of people who are physically ill, rather than those who got a positive test result. False positives are all too common.

Danny B Dec 8th 2020 2:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
UK Grandmother Margaret Keenan, 90, has become the first person in the world to receive Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus jab outside a clinical trial.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...trial-12154354

What a glorious day for her.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 8th 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
If you reside in BC, and fit within the income criteria, December 18th the application for the BC Recovery Benefit will open.

There are other requirements besides income, must also be *

be a resident of B.C. on Dec. 18, 2020
be at least 19 years old on Dec. 18, 2020
have filed a 2019 income tax return
have their 2019 income tax notice of assessment, and if applicable, their spouse’s 2019 income tax notice of assessment;
SIN #
Direct Deposit Info
BC Drivers License # if applicable.


  • $1,000 for families with incomes under $125,000. Families earning up to $175,000 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount. Single-parent families also qualify for these benefit amounts.
  • $500 for single people earning less than $62,500. Single people earning up to $87,500 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount.

https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...064-002019.htm

Danny B Dec 8th 2020 8:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12944190)
If you reside in BC, and fit within the income criteria, December 18th the application for the BC Recovery Benefit will open.

There are other requirements besides income, must also be *

be a resident of B.C. on Dec. 18, 2020
be at least 19 years old on Dec. 18, 2020
have filed a 2019 income tax return
have their 2019 income tax notice of assessment, and if applicable, their spouse’s 2019 income tax notice of assessment;
SIN #
Direct Deposit Info
BC Drivers License # if applicable.

  • $1,000 for families with incomes under $125,000. Families earning up to $175,000 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount. Single-parent families also qualify for these benefit amounts.
  • $500 for single people earning less than $62,500. Single people earning up to $87,500 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount.


https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...064-002019.htm

WOW - how lucky we are in BC. That money will go a long way this time of year. :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 8th 2020 8:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12944195)
WOW - how lucky we are in BC. That money will go a long way this time of year. :thumbup:

Yes it will,

Partially discharged Dec 8th 2020 11:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12940363)
Since we are an EU member state our government has an agreement to receive vaccines for the entire Maltese population, since I have a Maltese address there will actually be one set aside for me technically. Since it is only approx 500,000 people I don't think we will have the trouble that Canada will re supply and demand and vaccinating everyone.

"We" ? ???? I thought you have only visited Malta a few times and have Maltese ancestry and a passport....but don't live there? Or are you thinking of getting on a plane to fly across the Atlantic as there is a vaccine at the address in Malta that they think you live at? Personally, I think you need to re-think your priorities and let those who really need the vaccine get it. From what I know you are healthy and have a job here and just have the travelling bug and feel that the restrictions are onerous and shouldn't apply to you. Or have I got it all wrong?

Partially discharged Dec 8th 2020 11:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12944190)
If you reside in BC, and fit within the income criteria, December 18th the application for the BC Recovery Benefit will open.

$1,000 for families with incomes under $125,000. Families earning up to $175,000 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount. Single-parent families also qualify for these benefit amounts.
  • $500 for single people earning less than $62,500. Single people earning up to $87,500 will qualify for a reduced benefit amount.


https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...064-002019.htm

Where is this money tree that BC has. $1000 for any family earning under $125 K. Honestly, that must be at least 2/3 - 3/4 of all families and at the $175 K threshold probably 80-85%. Has any information been given as to how the 'state' is going to pay for this over time.? Somehow, there will have to be a correction or significant tax increases over time to make up for this money being given away. I can see giving money to people or families earning say under $60-$70 K but $125 K....that is quite a high amount.

spouse of scouse Dec 8th 2020 11:43 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12944240)
Where is this money tree that BC has. $1000 for any family earning under $125 K. Honestly, that must be at least 2/3 - 3/4 of all families and at the $175 K threshold probably 80-85%. Has any information been given as to how the 'state' is going to pay for this over time.? Somehow, there will have to be a correction or significant tax increases over time to make up for this money being given away. I can see giving money to people or families earning say under $60-$70 K but $125 K....that is quite a high amount.

I think the idea is that most people will spend the money, injecting cash into the economy. That's the reason for what they call stimulous payments in Oz anyway. Our income criteria is a lot stricter though.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 8th 2020 11:46 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12944240)
Where is this money tree that BC has. $1000 for any family earning under $125 K. Honestly, that must be at least 2/3 - 3/4 of all families and at the $175 K threshold probably 80-85%. Has any information been given as to how the 'state' is going to pay for this over time.? Somehow, there will have to be a correction or significant tax increases over time to make up for this money being given away. I can see giving money to people or families earning say under $60-$70 K but $125 K....that is quite a high amount.


I'd imagine they went that high as most of the population lives in the Lower Mainland and with the cost of housing and rent is so high there and other pockets of BC have excessively high rent and housing as well, just not to the extent of Vancouver and surrounds.


The proposal by the BC Liberals was to cut PST for 1 year to 0% and then 2nd to 3% then 3rd year back to 7%, that would have reduced government by $8 billion estimated, so of the proposals made the NDP is least costly in the long run.

I didn't care for the PST cut proposal as it doesn't benefit those who need the most help, since lower income households tend to spend a higher % of their income on rent and groceries both of which are PST exempt.



scrubbedexpat091 Dec 9th 2020 12:00 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Apparently 4,000 high risk persons in BC will receive 1st dose by end of next week, and tomorrow they will announced the immunization programs details. (it's a twitter link but shows for me)


scrubbedexpat091 Dec 9th 2020 12:01 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12944256)
Apparently 4,000 high risk persons in BC will receive 1st dose by end of next week, and tomorrow they will announced the immunization programs details. (it's a twitter link but shows for me)

https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/1336459323543748608


scrubbedexpat091 Dec 9th 2020 3:52 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12944195)
WOW - how lucky we are in BC. That money will go a long way this time of year. :thumbup:


A bunch of butt hurt people on reddit complaining they made too much to qualify, and trying to convince others how much of a struggle it is to live in Vancouver on 6 figure income....

Jingsamichty Dec 9th 2020 7:31 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12944286)
A bunch of butt hurt people on reddit complaining they made too much to qualify, and trying to convince others how much of a struggle it is to live in Vancouver on 6 figure income....

Don't belittle other peoples' problems. Just because they are different problems to yours doesn't mean those people aren't genuinely stressed about them. Remember Micawber's maxim: "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

It doesn't matter if your annual income is $20 or $20,000 or $20,000,000 - if your expenditure exceeds your income there will be a point of reckoning, and this year COVID has probably caused a lot of people to face financial problems that would otherwise have been kicked down the road for another day. I'm sure those people would be very grateful for any help the province provides, after all they've paid their taxes have they not?

Danny B Dec 9th 2020 2:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Best interview ever :lol:

Twitter link below (may need to refresh or quote me to see it)




spouse of scouse Dec 9th 2020 3:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12944489)
Best interview ever :lol:

Twitter link below (may need to refresh or quote me to see it)

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/stat...095290881?s=20

Wonderful! :thumbsup: Martin's quite a chatterer and bright as a button too.

Best quote "I went out and had a rather nasty lunch" :lol:

spouse of scouse Dec 9th 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Canada's approved the Pfizer vaccine :thumbup:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55251830

Rete Dec 9th 2020 5:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Canada has authorized Pfizer covid-19 vaccine.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...nZV?li=BBnb7Kz


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:21 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.