British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2021 9:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13048009)
Are you sure you are in the correct thread? ;)

Yup just emphasizing don't always believe what your hear on the TV as the odd expert has been wrong once or twice.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 4th 2021 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13047950)
I keep hearing mutterings on TV that it could be 15K sometime in October. Seems a stretch, but what do I know?

Some university mathematical modelling expert types, their models showed BC could worst case scenario top 10,000 a day by October at the then current growth rate, but its a month old now, no idea if we are still in that upward trend or if we flattened out a bit growth wise.

bats Sep 4th 2021 11:25 pm

Surely if you're unable to be vaccinated and so remain unprotected you wouldn't want to be in risky places. We're double jabbed but are avoiding people. If vaccine passports encourage the recalcitrant we will all be safer.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 7th 2021 7:07 pm

First for me but I guess it keeps the website from crashing, seems the government has learned since early in the pandemic when opening day for pandemic things the website would crash hard.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d6adce78d0.png

printer Sep 8th 2021 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13048958)
First for me but I guess it keeps the website from crashing, seems the government has learned since early in the pandemic when opening day for pandemic things the website would crash hard.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d6adce78d0.png

Ha ha i just got exactly the same thing but my wait time was scheduled for 2 minutes less than yours :rofl:
What a waste of time i cannot be bothered i will try next week. It took 3 attempts and lots of waiting just to get my doctors office to answer the damn phone today but when i did finally get through she said you can come tomorrow if you like. I guess they have plenty of appointments available because nobody can get through to book one.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 8th 2021 2:55 am

Yeah I closed the window as soon as I saw the wait, I don't need it so I will wait for now.

I came across this today, I really hope they don't do away with virtual appointments, I find them so much better for 99% of my medical needs, and my doctor has office hours still for those needing to visit in person, but some doctors I guess are refusing in person and its causing a burden on the ER's apparently.

The part about reviewing virtual care payments to doctors concerns me, like why does the province care if I speak to the doctor on the phone or in the office to get my 90 day refill, its such a waste of time for me to go all the way to the doctors office, wait, spend like 3 minutes with the doctor, then drive all the way back home, a waste of 2 hours really, when I can stay home, do the same thing over the phone.

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13049043)
Ha ha i just got exactly the same thing but my wait time was scheduled for 2 minutes less than yours :rofl:
What a waste of time i cannot be bothered i will try next week. It took 3 attempts and lots of waiting just to get my doctors office to answer the damn phone today but when i did finally get through she said you can come tomorrow if you like. I guess they have plenty of appointments available because nobody can get through to book one.

scilly Sep 8th 2021 3:24 am

I was surprised back on August 16th when I called the doctor's office to request a phone-in call for prescription refills, usually get an appointment that day or the next day ................. the receptionist said she didn't have one until August 31st.

She did finally find one for late afternoon on August 25th, but told me I would have to contact the pharmacist if I needed a refill or refills before that date., and get them to send in a request from.

As I said, it has never taken that long before! Mind you, it was not the receptionist I usually speak to, who is much more efficient :nod:

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 8th 2021 5:11 am

One thing you rarely get with my GP is same day or next day appointments, there is usually a 1-2 week wait, looking at the online appointment calendar the first virtual appointment available is September 18th.

First available in clinic appointment is September 23.

You have the unicorn of GP's if you can routinely get same or next day appointments.

I once had a GP you would need to book 3-4 weeks in advance and because he covered the small town ER often, good chance your appointment would be cancelled day off due to an emergency at the hospital, sucks living in small towns.

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13049062)
I was surprised back on August 16th when I called the doctor's office to request a phone-in call for prescription refills, usually get an appointment that day or the next day ................. the receptionist said she didn't have one until August 31st.

She did finally find one for late afternoon on August 25th, but told me I would have to contact the pharmacist if I needed a refill or refills before that date., and get them to send in a request from.

As I said, it has never taken that long before! Mind you, it was not the receptionist I usually speak to, who is much more efficient :nod:

caretaker Sep 8th 2021 11:53 am

We got a big case of rapid test kits at work, so yesterday my team leader was practicing on the staff. We took the swab and inserted it up our own nose to the cringe point, twirled it 6 or 7 times, then repeated using the same swab in the other nostril then the swab goes into a vial. A few minutes later there was some sort of indication that the reagent was working, then 15 minutes later it indicated negative. We were all negative. I guess when we reopen the plan is to test anyone at the door who can't provide proof of vaccination or result of a recent test.

Jerseygirl Sep 8th 2021 1:02 pm

Grandaughter goes back to school tomorrow. Last time she was there was April 2nd.

Jingsamichty Sep 8th 2021 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13049238)
Grandaughter goes back to school tomorrow. Last time she was there was April 2nd.

Schools have been back in Scotland for a month now. My colleague today just said that his 10 year old son tested positive - very mild fever controlled with paracetemol - and 12 out of 20 kids in the class also tested positive. Thank goodness for the mass vaccinations otherwise it's likely that teachers and parents would be getting very ill in huge numbers. The kids do not have to isolate.

This virus isn't going anywhere, that's very clear. The only positive thing I've seen is that quite a few anti-vaxxers seem to be dying of COVID, a sort of deranged Darwin Awards.

Jerseygirl Sep 8th 2021 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13049257)
Schools have been back in Scotland for a month now. My colleague today just said that his 10 year old son tested positive - very mild fever controlled with paracetemol - and 12 out of 20 kids in the class also tested positive. Thank goodness for the mass vaccinations otherwise it's likely that teachers and parents would be getting very ill in huge numbers. The kids do not have to isolate.

This virus isn't going anywhere, that's very clear. The only positive thing I've seen is that quite a few anti-vaxxers seem to be dying of COVID, a sort of deranged Darwin Awards.

That’s worrying, but good that has only mild symptoms. IMO vaccination should be mandatory.

Almost Canadian Sep 8th 2021 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13049301)
That’s worrying, but good that has only mild symptoms. IMO vaccination should be mandatory.

I don't know about other places in the world but, in Alberta, 20% of those in hospital with C-19 have been fully vaccinated.

As I stated above, society is going to have to learn to live with this. The sooner it does so, the better.

Jerseygirl Sep 8th 2021 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049371)
I don't know about other places in the world but, in Alberta, 20% of those in hospital with C-19 have been fully vaccinated.

As I stated above, society is going to have to learn to live with this. The sooner it does so, the better.

I bet they have an underlying health problem/s and/or are very elderly.

BristolUK Sep 8th 2021 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049371)

I'm not sure it's 20% fully vaccinated. 5th Sept - Albertans fully vaccinated for COVID-19 urged to stay cautious during pandemic's 4th wave

But about four-in-five of the Albertans in hospital for COVID-19 are unvaccinated. The others are at least partially vaccinated, Kenney said Friday.
So could include first dose people and those with two but insufficient time to have become 'fully' vaccinated.
Nevertheless, this is the Delta variant causing this problem as the vaccines at the moment are better for common or garden covid.

It's a good reason for showing caution; the more the virus is passed around and the more complacent we get about that, the greater the chance of other, more problematic, variants.

There seems to be an 'issue' in Alberta.

Alberta is leading the country in daily new COVID-19 cases and known active during the pandemic's fourth wave.
It's not the first time Alberta has led the way in negative aspects of the virus.
What with the financial encouragement to overcome resistance to getting jabbed and the Rodeos that went ahead against advice. It didn't come as a huge surprise to read "They don't call Alberta the covidiot capital of Canada for nothing" and similar comments on CBC news reports

Almost Canadian Sep 8th 2021 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13049374)
I bet they have an underlying health problem/s and/or are very elderly.

You would lose that bet and, even if it was true, so what? I don't believe that anyone is disputing that most people will suffer few ill effects of contracting C-19. Trump and Johnson are hardly the epitome of health but both survived.

Almost Canadian Sep 8th 2021 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13049384)
I'm not sure it's 20% fully vaccinated. 5th Sept - Albertans fully vaccinated for COVID-19 urged to stay cautious during pandemic's 4th wave

So could include first dose people and those with two but insufficient time to have become 'fully' vaccinated.
Nevertheless, this is the Delta variant causing this problem as the vaccines at the moment are better for common or garden covid.

It's a good reason for showing caution; the more the virus is passed around and the more complacent we get about that, the greater the chance of other, more problematic, variants.

I take it that you accept that the vaccine is not a silver bullet and that people will continue to suffer the effects of C-19 whether or not all are fully vaccinated?

I bet that C-19 will still be an issue in 2 years time. It is not going away. Today it is the Delta variant. I am confident that, in the future, it will be Echo variant and so on.

Would you be OK with everyone having to be vaccinated? If not, why not?

There seems to be an 'issue' in Alberta.

It's not the first time Alberta has led the way in negative aspects of the virus.
What with the financial encouragement to overcome resistance to getting jabbed and the Rodeos that went ahead against advice. It didn't come as a huge surprise to read "They don't call Alberta the covidiot capital of Canada for nothing" and similar comments on CBC news reports

Most jurisdictions have experienced ebbs and flows with how they have dealt with C-19. Alberta is in a predicament at the moment, but it is still miles behind Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba when fatalities per head of population are considered.

I suggest you have a read of this:Corbella: Who are the vaccine hesitant and anti-vaxxers in Canada? | Calgary Herald

It paints a picture that those that are unvaccinated are not likely to be "covidiots in Alberta" but middle aged Liberal voters in Ontario. Of course, I am being selective, just as you are.

The graph (someway down the page) in this article suggests that the ICU numbers in Alberta have been consistently throughout the peaks and troughs related to C-19:Alberta mayors call for COVID-19 vaccine passport; 4,903 new cases | Calgary Herald

Again, context is always required and rarely reported.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 8th 2021 7:56 pm

Unfortunately BC doesn't release information in a timely manner for most of the data so its hard to get most current, so it's always a bit outdated but tis the best we have, and CBC seems to be about the only who actually reports this type of data, the rest kind of ignore it.

The last break down of deaths by age group I saw covered July 30 to August 26 time frame, of the fully vaccinated group all deaths were over 60 with most over 80 which isn't unusual, as vaccines are not as effective in 80+ year old's as well just being 80+ your just naturally at a higher risk of death from being that old.

The unvaccinated saw a bit wider range of deaths in younger age groups, but no deaths under 40 in the unvaccinated as of this most recent data.

I rarely agree with our Alberta friend on many topics but I do agree with him on the fact COVID isn't going away at this point, and honestly at this point with pushing 80% vaccinated in BC, I would even limit testing to just those who seek medical care, what point is there to test people just for the sake of testing? No point really, if you have symptoms stay home, knowing its COVID isn't going to change anything for you unless you end up hospital but they can test you there, that is exactly what they do with influenza we don't test every single person with symptoms of influenza, so why continue with COVID at this point?

Unless I was ill to the point of medical care, I wont even bother with getting tested if I have mild symptoms, I will just stay home and rest like I do if I had influenza.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c8e62d15f8.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...109e53ffc.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...845220a9b.jpeg

Jerseygirl Sep 8th 2021 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049413)
You would lose that bet and, even if it was true, so what?

Do I have to take your word for that….or do you have proof?

Danny B Sep 8th 2021 8:21 pm

21% actually :eek:

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 8th 2021 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13049436)

It's been steadily rising in BC too, although I don't know if we have hit 20% yet.

But its not total cases that concern me, its hospitalizations they keep increasing week after week, and that isn't sustainable, we need hospitalizations to decrease or at least become stable, but this week over week increasing isn't sustainable.

BristolUK Sep 8th 2021 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049419)

It paints a picture that those that are unvaccinated are not likely to be "covidiots in Alberta" but middle aged Liberal voters in Ontario. Of course, I am being selective, just as you are.

And yet Canada covid tracker shows 84.5% in Ontario with at least one jab and 78% double jabbed compared to 78.6% and 70.5% for Alberta.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 9th 2021 2:38 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13049495)
And yet Canada covid tracker shows 84.5% in Ontario with at least one jab and 78% double jabbed compared to 78.6% and 70.5% for Alberta.

BC vs Alberta (these % include total population which is why the numbers are lower, they include the 0-12 year olds not eligible)

If you exclude the 0-11 year old age group not eligible BC sits at 86.4% with 1 dose and 79% fully vaccinated, the fully vaccinated has been sitting for a couple weeks not moving much, as the spike in first doses in mid August have about another week before they start being eligible for their 2nd dose, BC I believe is down to 28 days between 1st and 2nd dose.

I kind of think we are approaching the upper end of what is realistic vaccine wise for those 12+, I really don't think we will get much over 90%, but we shall see, but I do think we are approaching the point of those left are the hardcore ones who will never get it, the hesitant on the fence types are the ones who rushed to get it once they were going to lose access to things, but the hardcore vaccinate haters, good luck convincing them.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c655f7a488.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...24ed35d35f.png

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 9th 2021 2:46 am

This is what people should be concerned with, we need to get the hospitalizations down the increase over the past month is just been insane.

Overall the number of COVID patients in hospital today in BC is up 283% from the number of patients in hospital on August 9.

ICU is even worse, patient numbers in ICU today 545% higher than August 9th.

New cases between Aug. 31 and Sept. 6 77.8% were either unvaccinated or only partially vaccinated.

Between Aug. 24 and Sept. 6 85% of those ended up in hospital are unvaccinated or only partially vaccinated.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ept8-1.6167993

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 9th 2021 10:06 am

For the first time BC released vaccination status and age groups of the ICU patients. Of 126 in ICU only 10 are fully vaccinated, 10 partially vaccinated and 106 not vaccinated at all.

Calgary area hospitals are cancelling all elective surgeries and most outpatient procedures to free up staff for COVID patients.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...809b14ab19.png

Almost Canadian Sep 9th 2021 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13049430)
Do I have to take your word for that….or do you have proof?

The information is available to the public online, if you care to look.

Almost Canadian Sep 9th 2021 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13049495)

I didn't write the article and, once again, you are comparing two different things.

BristolUK Sep 9th 2021 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049642)
I didn't write the article and, once again, you are comparing two different things.

I'm comparing the vaccinated rate of two provinces. It shows that one province has almost 50% more not fully vaccinated than the other.
You can misinterpret that how you wish.

caretaker Sep 9th 2021 2:37 pm

Saskatchewan overtakes Alberta as province with worst rate of infection:
"Saskatchewan reported 405 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, two more deaths, and 27 more people in hospital, bringing the total to 181 patients."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...sask-1.6168339

Almost Canadian Sep 9th 2021 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13049645)
I'm comparing the vaccinated rate of two provinces. It shows that one province has almost 50% more not fully vaccinated than the other.
You can misinterpret that how you wish.

I never mentioned vaccinated rates of any Provinces.

BristolUK Sep 9th 2021 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049676)
I never mentioned vaccinated rates of any Provinces.

This is tedious. Is this where I say "did I say you did?" and then we go on from there?

No thanks.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 10th 2021 12:34 am

Interior Health 253 new cases

Fraser Health 233 new cases

Fraser Health has 1.8 million people vs Interior at 834,775

Interior Health and Vancouver Island Health are similiar in size population wise, but Island only reported 65 cases in the same time frame.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-updat...ases-1.5578623

old.sparkles Sep 11th 2021 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13049413)
You would lose that bet......

Not from the figures in the link provided by DannyB (https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes)

21.72% of those currently hospitalised are fully vaccinated, or 149 patients.

Further down, of those fully vaccinated in the last 120 days, 280 had pre-existing conditions, compared to 31 with no pre-existing conditions.
Also, those aged over 70 account 207 with pre-existing conditions, and 9 without.

So JG is correct, the vaccinated admitted to hospital are generally both old and have underlying conditions.

Additionally, for the same period, 1538 unvaccinated with pre-existing conditions, and a further 1113 unvaccinated with no pre-existing conditions.

I know from those figures which group I would rather be in (hint - I'm fully vaccinated)

Almost Canadian Sep 11th 2021 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13050129)
Not from the figures in the link provided by DannyB (https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes)

21.72% of those currently hospitalised are fully vaccinated, or 149 patients.

Further down, of those fully vaccinated in the last 120 days, 280 had pre-existing conditions, compared to 31 with no pre-existing conditions.
Also, those aged over 70 account 207 with pre-existing conditions, and 9 without.

So JG is correct, the vaccinated admitted to hospital are generally both old and have underlying conditions.

Additionally, for the same period, 1538 unvaccinated with pre-existing conditions, and a further 1113 unvaccinated with no pre-existing conditions.

I know from those figures which group I would rather be in (hint - I'm fully vaccinated)

I'm fully vaccinated too, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

The distinction that you made and which I have highlighted, was not made by the other poster.

old.sparkles Sep 11th 2021 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 13050243)
I'm fully vaccinated too, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

The distinction that you made and which I have highlighted, was not made by the other poster.

JG said "I bet they have an underlying health problem/s and/or are very elderly." in response to your post "I don't know about other places in the world but, in Alberta, 20% of those in hospital with C-19 have been fully vaccinated." which is what the numbers reflect. Those that did not fall in either group, taking as over 70 as elderly, would be only 22 of the 311 fully vaccinated Covid admissions.

So 93% of those admitted with Covid who have been fully vaccinated have underlying health problems and/or are very elderly (taking 70 as cut off age).

If you would prefer the cut off to be 80 or over, the only change would be 2 of the vaccinated / no underlying health to give 24 out of 311, so no significant change.

And the point about being fully vaccinated was that it significantly improves your prognosis. Take a look at table 8 in that link - those in ICU. Only 0.3% of those admitted to ICU were fully vaccinated with no underlying health issues.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 12th 2021 1:51 am

BC Human Rights Tribunal has been deluged with people complaints over the BC Vaccine pass since it was announced a couple weeks ago, 2 were dismissed yesterday, some quotes from the decision to dismiss.

“An ideological opposition to or distrust of the vaccine would not be enough,”

"“The Code does not permit a direct challenge to a public health order based merely on disagreement with it"

https://vancouversun.com/news/tribun...c-vaccine-pass

printer Sep 12th 2021 4:11 am

Meanwhile in the UK:
Interesting that a day after the news ran a story on 3 Cornwall hospitals cancelling all surgery due to COVID patients overwhelming them the same news outlet runs this story about the governments plans to strip away all the strict laws they had in place to deal with possible containment of another wave.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/161141...d-winter-plan/

Mordko Sep 12th 2021 2:06 pm

Cornwall is keeping critical surgery avalable. They have 40 Covid patients, 50 healthy “patients” who are being isolated and 100 people ready to leave who are in need of “support packages”.

https://www.cornish-times.co.uk/arti...earchyear=2021

Danny B Sep 12th 2021 3:26 pm

Plans to introduce vaccine passports for access into nightclubs and large events in England will not go ahead, the health secretary has said.

Sajid Javid told the BBC: "We shouldn't be doing things for the sake of it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58535258

BristolUK Sep 12th 2021 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13050520)
Plans to introduce vaccine passports for access into nightclubs and large events in England will not go ahead, the health secretary has said.

Sajid Javid told the BBC: "We shouldn't be doing things for the sake of it."

One might easily interpret that as "we shouldn't be going to nightclubs and large events for the sake of it." :lol: