British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2021 2:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Ontario…525 reported COVID cases yesterday…the lowest since September. 15 deaths. Looking good for the province to re-open next week…hopefully an early opening will be announced for this weekend.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-s-...nths-1.5459289

caretaker Jun 7th 2021 4:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
In line at the drive through for my 2nd AZ shot. Wait time went down to half an hour!
Someone queueing with the top down:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3e3cb53e38.jpg
Their time estimate is right on; half an hour after driving onto the grounds I'm vaccinated and in the 15 minute waiting area.

sharkus Jun 7th 2021 4:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13015009)
Ontario…525 reported COVID cases yesterday…the lowest since September. 15 deaths. Looking good for the province to re-open next week…hopefully an early opening will be announced for this weekend.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-s-...nths-1.5459289

Yup, Elliott is mentioning possibility of Friday.
https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-co...iott-1.5459311

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2021 4:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Ontario moves to Stage 1 on Friday 11th.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-wi...open-1.5459311

JamesM Jun 7th 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13015068)
Ontario moves to Stage 1 on Friday 11th.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-wi...open-1.5459311

Very good news!

caretaker Jun 7th 2021 9:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Our numbers are still looking good. I'd like to see it continue sailing down over the next 2 weeks as if the long weekend had never happened.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a289a67779.png


https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a0f4bf888c.jpg


scrubbedexpat091 Jun 8th 2021 6:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
For those who got Astra Zeneca, University of Waterloo put out a pretty good info on what vaccine may be best suited for your 2nd dose. Long version below, short version in the infographic on twitter.



pdf file: https://uwaterloo.ca/pharmacy/sites/...ng_version.pdf


Now that BC is giving us the choice, I am going to opt for Pfizer or Moderna for my 2nd dose.

bats Jun 8th 2021 9:54 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13015496)
For those who got Astra Zeneca, University of Waterloo put out a pretty good info on what vaccine may be best suited for your 2nd dose. Long version below, short version in the infographic on twitter.


https://twitter.com/DrKateJMiller/st...406662/photo/1

pdf file: https://uwaterloo.ca/pharmacy/sites/...ng_version.pdf


Now that BC is giving us the choice, I am going to opt for Pfizer or Moderna for my 2nd dose.

we've just booked our second doses. Second Moderna shot for me and husband is going for Moderna this time

Jerseygirl Jun 8th 2021 10:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
We had our first AZ vax 12 weeks this coming Monday. Going for Pfizer for the second, but all the nearby pharmacies are out of stock. Nothing to do with blood clot fears, but 1 shot AZ and 1 shot Pfizer seems to give the best immunity, or so the experts on TV say.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 8th 2021 11:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13015568)
We had our first AZ vax 12 weeks this coming Monday. Going for Pfizer for the second, but all the nearby pharmacies are out of stock. Nothing to do with blood clot fears, but 1 shot AZ and 1 shot Pfizer seems to give the best immunity, or so the experts on TV say.

Seems to be what they are getting at, AZ + mRNA is likely better against the variants than AZ + AZ.

Not sure when we will get ours, Pfizer and Moderna they will send a booking link when eligible, AZ the pharmacy where we got will eventually call pending stock, but we can turn down AZ and wait for mRNA chances are at the rate things are going, a mRNA booking will become available before an AZ simply due to supply.

Former Lancastrian Jun 9th 2021 6:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
https://i.redd.it/ny89fjmvu9471.jpg

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 10th 2021 11:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
On Tuesday Lions Gate Hospital in Vancouver had 0 COVID positive patients, first time since January 2020.

https://www.nsnews.com/coronavirus-c...ee-day-3864330

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 12th 2021 11:25 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Does not appear BC will be doing provincial vaccine passports.

"“We’re not enthusiastic about it quite frankly. This is private health information at the end of the day,” he said. "

Also looks like BC Government is pushing the feds to let tourists come, makes sense, not enough domestic tourists to make up for the lack of American and other foreign tourists, and Americans have shown they are willing and eager to travel this summer.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/horgan...ine-passports/

Jerseygirl Jun 12th 2021 11:43 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13017006)
Does not appear BC will be doing provincial vaccine passports.

"“We’re not enthusiastic about it quite frankly. This is private health information at the end of the day,” he said. "

Also looks like BC Government is pushing the feds to let tourists come, makes sense, not enough domestic tourists to make up for the lack of American and other foreign tourists, and Americans have shown they are willing and eager to travel this summer.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/horgan...ine-passports/

I have a printed image from Ontario Ministry of Health confirming I have had 2 doses, date of birth, date of vax, vax batch etc.

dbd33 Jun 13th 2021 12:26 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Today I went to the same shops as every week. I noticed that there were people on patios so I supposed there had been some lifting of restrictions. Then I saw the queue, it went for many blocks, socially distanced but still, hundreds and hundreds of couples. I went into the LCBO, the checkout person asked "have you seen the queue?" I said I had but I didn't know what it was about. The checkout person didn't either "must be something to do with the reopening", We wondered what excitement waited at the end of the queue, free tickets to see Celine Dion, perhaps? A sample give away at the cannabis shop?

Winners. The Winners shop had reopened and the people of Ontario had nothing better to do than stand for hours in the sun to go into it.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2021 12:43 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13017014)
Today I went to the same shops as every week. I noticed that there were people on patios so I supposed there had been some lifting of restrictions. Then I saw the queue, it went for many blocks, socially distanced but still, hundreds and hundreds of couples. I went into the LCBO, the checkout person asked "have you seen the queue?" I said I had but I didn't know what it was about. The checkout person didn't either "must be something to do with the reopening", We wondered what excitement waited at the end of the queue, free tickets to see Celine Dion, perhaps? A sample give away at the cannabis shop?

Winners. The Winners shop had reopened and the people of Ontario had nothing better to do than stand for hours in the sun to go into it.


Seems the same happened at Winners in the GTA. It was on the news yesterday…people started queuing hours before the store opened. Some waiting 3 - 4 hours.

dbd33 Jun 13th 2021 12:48 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13017018)
Seems the same happened at Winners in the GTA. It was on the news yesterday…people started queuing hours before the store opened. Some waiting 3 - 4 hours.

Whatever for? What manner of a person sits in lockdown for a year longing for the moment when he or she can queue for hours for the chance to buy second quality clothing?

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2021 12:50 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13017021)
Whatever for? What manner of a person sits in lockdown for a year longing for the moment when he or she can queue for hours for the chance to buy second quality clothing?

My daughter said some of her staff took yesterday off to shop. :eek:

dbd33 Jun 13th 2021 1:37 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13017022)
My daughter said some of her staff took yesterday off to shop. :eek:

I suppose it drives the economy and, indeed, I shop. I bought nearly a thousand dollars worth of wood stain today and a new paintbrush. Clothing though, in a country that doesn't have fashion, seems a very odd thing to queue for.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 13th 2021 1:56 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
Crazy people will wait in line for hours to shop, glad its more sane in my part of the world.


caretaker Jun 13th 2021 10:42 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13017027)
I suppose it drives the economy and, indeed, I shop. I bought nearly a thousand dollars worth of wood stain today and a new paintbrush. Clothing though, in a country that doesn't have fashion, seems a very odd thing to queue for.

Canada's Incredibly Ugly Centennial Tartan, the Canadian Tuxedo, touques... you're right, we have no national sense of fashion. I feel spiffy even when I get new work clothes and underwear. Business will chart our spending patterns as we re-emerge from lockdown, and will conveniently place the hole for us to throw our money down.

BristolUK Jun 13th 2021 11:53 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13017032)
Crazy people will wait in line for hours to shop, glad its more sane in my part of the world.

This Winners talk probably illustrates the two nations of Canada.
I can't speak for Winners specifically but my stepdaughter works at HomeSense which is part of the same group and probably less essential than Winners who, I gather, sells clothing in addition to other household stuff.
Apart from that initial month of 'lockdown' I think it's been open all the time.

BristolUK Jun 13th 2021 12:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13017027)
Clothing though, in a country that doesn't have fashion, seems a very odd thing to queue for.

This always remind me of my old office. There was a woman who dressed like Alison Moyet in her Yazoo days.

Hearing that I was leaving she said "I like Canada. They don't care what they look like." :lol:

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2021 12:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13017032)
Crazy people will wait in line for hours to shop, glad its more sane in my part of the world.

Like the last time shops reopened…I do not intend to ‘shop’ for a week or two. I refuse to stand in line outside a grocery store, so I am certainly not waiting outside non essential shops.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 13th 2021 4:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13017137)
This Winners talk probably illustrates the two nations of Canada.
I can't speak for Winners specifically but my stepdaughter works at HomeSense which is part of the same group and probably less essential than Winners who, I gather, sells clothing in addition to other household stuff.
Apart from that initial month of 'lockdown' I think it's been open all the time.

i went to the dentist last week, and the hygienist was really looking forward to Homesense reopening. I got quite a detailed review of the place, and her purchases.

BristolUK Jun 13th 2021 5:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 13017218)
i went to the dentist last week, and the hygienist was really looking forward to Homesense reopening. I got quite a detailed review of the place, and her purchases.

:lol:
Well that's even more illustrative than I thought. HomeSense and Winners. Closed in Ontario open over here. ;)

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 13th 2021 7:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13017137)
This Winners talk probably illustrates the two nations of Canada.
I can't speak for Winners specifically but my stepdaughter works at HomeSense which is part of the same group and probably less essential than Winners who, I gather, sells clothing in addition to other household stuff.
Apart from that initial month of 'lockdown' I think it's been open all the time.

Same in BC, aside from early in the pandemic last year when some stores voluntarily closed, it's been business as usual for retail in BC.

I can say literally nothing restriction wise has affected our day to day living.

Jerseygirl Jun 13th 2021 7:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13017221)
:lol:
Well that's even more illustrative than I thought. HomeSense and Winners. Closed in Ontario open over here. ;)

As of 12.00am Friday they are open in Ontario…15% capacity.

Just called at Sobey’s about twenty people waiting to get inside. Stuff that…didn’t get out of the car.

BristolUK Jun 13th 2021 9:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13017248)
Same in BC, aside from early in the pandemic last year when some stores voluntarily closed, it's been business as usual for retail in BC.

I can say literally nothing restriction wise has affected our day to day living.

We've not eaten out since January last year, but we've had a variety of meal delivery instead. I even had a poutine - albeit a butter chicken one :lol:
And grocery shopping has mostly been delivery of course.


Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13017252)
Just called at Sobey’s about twenty people waiting to get inside. Stuff that…didn’t get out of the car.

I've done 4 big store grocery shops in the last two months and pretty much monthly to Giant Tiger since last summer. Not a sign of a queue.

Maybe there should be an app to see what the waiting time is.

scilly Jun 13th 2021 10:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
There haven't been any real queues to get into a grocery store here, except maybe waiting for the person in front of you to be checked by a store employee as to mask and hand sanitizer, while his companion made sure that the cart handles were wiped ............. and even that was only in the first few weeks last March/April.

The grocery stores were only closed for about 2 weeks in March last year, not even long enough for us to have to worry about doing an online shop. That was the length of time it took the stores and the health officials to work out how to operate safely, to mark out the floors for safe distancing, etc etc.. Then grocery stores were declared essential, and fully re-opened. That also included the little neighbourhood ma-and-pa groceries. There was no change in the way they were operating in this last wave.

Now, there may have been queues at certain busy times, but we never experienced any. Of course, we don't go shopping at 5 pm on Friday or Saturday lunch time, or other known busy times!

Our only problem was with the usual pre-pandemic "I'll just leave my cart here while I go 2 lanes over ....", or "Hi Jane, how lovely to see you, let's have a chat ..... " thus blocking up the whole aisle, (which of course is the only "down" aisle in the frozen foods section) :rofl:

Nor have most other stores been closed again after they re-opened last June/July, except for some restriction on numbers.

This is why some of us have been so disturbed when people in Ontario have constantly complained how bad it has been. On and PQ are really the only 2 provinces that have been so harshly treated, for so long yet some are describing it as the whole country's experience. It wasn't, and isn't.

dbd33 Jun 14th 2021 12:01 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13017298)

This is why some of us have been so disturbed when people in Ontario have constantly complained how bad it has been.

My experience in Ontario has been that, in the first couple of weeks, there were some queues and a few items, flour, toilet paper, Marmite, London Pride, were hard to obtain. After that, there have been no queues to speak of at Loblaws or Sobeys and everything has been in stock (as much as usual anyway). The butcher's and the tack shop served through windows which isn't a problem if you know what you want but limits browsing. The longest queues, at shops I go to, were at the LCBO but they're not very good at retail and are often in disarray without the pandemic.

So, for shopping it hasn't been bad at all, I even bought a car during the pandemic, as easily as at any other time.

Jerseygirl Jun 14th 2021 1:16 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13017311)
My experience in Ontario has been that, in the first couple of weeks, there were some queues and a few items, flour, toilet paper, Marmite, London Pride, were hard to obtain. After that, there have been no queues to speak of at Loblaws or Sobeys and everything has been in stock (as much as usual anyway). The butcher's and the tack shop served through windows which isn't a problem if you know what you want but limits browsing. The longest queues, at shops I go to, were at the LCBO but they're not very good at retail and are often in disarray without the pandemic.

So, for shopping it hasn't been bad at all, I even bought a car during the pandemic, as easily as at any other time.

I must admit I have rarely seen a queue outside supermarkets, but I did today. I have noticed before that Sunday afternoon seems to be a particularly busy time for some odd reason.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 14th 2021 2:30 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I haven't seen a line to get into a store since maybe last June.

scilly Jun 15th 2021 2:20 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
BC now in Stage 2 of loosening of restrictions.............. over 75% eligible have received at least the 1st jab.

dbd33 Jun 16th 2021 10:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
This is loosely related to coronavirus and, being someone who has always ranked Eric Clapton down there with Coldplay, it made me roar (even the video at the end):

https://www.avclub.com/still-not-tir...pro-1847097548

Siouxie Jun 16th 2021 10:31 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

75.861%

of adults (18+) in Ontario have received at least one dose
https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=ON

JamesM Jun 16th 2021 11:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
I got my second dose yesterday.

Such is the chaos of Ontario's pandemic response a relatively healthy 42 year old who was told by his doctor his odds of hospitalization by the virus was 50,000 to 1 and who lives alone with little contact with people can be in the first 15% of people vaccinated properly???? God knows what happened to all the poor people older than me and those more vulnerable?

We don't get too many line up's anymore. When it started they were bad for the supermarket and LCBO- although for the latter you could pre-buy online and pick up with no hassle.

Friday late afternoon/Early evening the LCBO gets busy. There is a Loblaws that sells beer next door so if I don't fancy the line I head there. If there is a line at the Loblaws you just go to another door for the Shoppers Drug Mart and then head on up to the Loblaws. I do this often with my headset in. No one says anything they just shrug and look in dismay because they joined a line unwittingly.

They're talking about easing the lockdown faster in Ontario. They should new cases are nicely down and hospitals are emptying. Is it over? I think they'll struggle to lock it down again- even in Canada.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 16th 2021 11:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13015568)
We had our first AZ vax 12 weeks this coming Monday. Going for Pfizer for the second, but all the nearby pharmacies are out of stock. Nothing to do with blood clot fears, but 1 shot AZ and 1 shot Pfizer seems to give the best immunity, or so the experts on TV say.

i just got an email asking for my preference for the second dose, having had AZ for the first dose. We have chosen to switch to Pfizer, for the same reason as you. Can I ask if you had bad side effects after getting your second dose, a lot of articles seem to say this is the case.

Jerseygirl Jun 16th 2021 11:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 13018374)
i just got an email asking for my preference for the second dose, having had AZ for the first dose. We have chosen to switch to Pfizer, for the same reason as you. Can I ask if you had bad side effects after getting your second dose, a lot of articles seem to say this is the case.

Neither of us had side effects after dose 1 or 2.

Jerseygirl Jun 16th 2021 11:43 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13018366)
I got my second dose yesterday.

Such is the chaos of Ontario's pandemic response a relatively healthy 42 year old who was told by his doctor his odds of hospitalization by the virus was 50,000 to 1 and who lives alone with little contact with people can be in the first 15% of people vaccinated properly???? God knows what happened to all the poor people older than me and those more vulnerable?

We don't get too many line up's anymore. When it started they were bad for the supermarket and LCBO- although for the latter you could pre-buy online and pick up with no hassle.

Friday late afternoon/Early evening the LCBO gets busy. There is a Loblaws that sells beer next door so if I don't fancy the line I head there. If there is a line at the Loblaws you just go to another door for the Shoppers Drug Mart and then head on up to the Loblaws. I do this often with my headset in. No one says anything they just shrug and look in dismay because they joined a line unwittingly.

They're talking about easing the lockdown faster in Ontario. They should new cases are nicely down and hospitals are emptying. Is it over? I think they'll struggle to lock it down again- even in Canada.

My daughter got her 2nd dose on Saturday. She called the local pharmacy Sat lunchtime…got a call a few hours later saying that had a cancellation.

People queuing from 1 am earlier in the week, at a gov. vax site. When the facility opened they were told people with small children would be allowed in first. As you say…chaos.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:27 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.