British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Jerseygirl Aug 11th 2021 1:03 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Covid infections on 130 flights into Canada during the 1-8 August. :blink:

Jerseygirl Aug 11th 2021 8:01 pm

At last…vaccination passports are to be issued and will be the same throughout the Provinces. Probably available early fall. :fingerscrossed:

Due to the rise in Covid infections it looks like Ontario will stay in Stage 3 for the foreseeable future.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 11th 2021 9:31 pm

The surge in BC is rather localized to the Kelowna region, nearly half of new cases for the province are in Kelowna region.

Nearly all of the new cases are in people not vaccinated or only 1 vaccination and primarily in the 20 to 40 age group.

Seems to suggest the vaccination rate in Kelowna area may be lower than other regions of the province.

Kelowna General Hospital due to rising COVID patients is cancelling some surgeries to free up capacity, majority of those hospitalized are younger adults, not fully vaccinated or not vaccinated at all.

Overall 82.1% of the provinces eligible (12 years & over) population is fully vaccinated with 71% 12+ fully vaccinated.

I am pleased they are doing regional restrictions this time around rather than provincial, maybe it will pressure people to vaccinate if they see only their area is being restricted and the rest of the province isn't, in a province of this size with localized outbreaks, makes no sense to punish the entire province.

Siouxie Aug 12th 2021 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13039580)
At last…vaccination passports are to be issued and will be the same throughout the Provinces. Probably available early fall. :fingerscrossed:

Due to the rise in Covid infections it looks like Ontario will stay in Stage 3 for the foreseeable future.

?? They are working on a vaccine 'passport' potential for international travel.. .. unless you have a link that shows otherwise? (Links to the pertinent information always helps)

OTTAWA - Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says fully vaccinated Canadians will soon be able to get a government document that will certify their COVID-19 vaccine history for the purpose of international travel.

Ontario and Alberta have both said they will not provide provincial vaccine passports or make vaccination mandatory for anything, while other provinces have been more open to the notion of at least having a passport option.
https://www.cp24.com/news/federal-go...avel-1.5543269

and official:

The secure, standardized proof of vaccination announced on August 11 is being developed in partnership with provinces and territories to facilitate travel outside of Canada.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ine-proof.html

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2021 1:40 am

I wonder how this vaccine passport at the federal level will differ from the electronic vaccination record I can already access?

I just hope by next summer the testing requirement to return is gone, I really would like to visit my parents but the testing is just too expensive in order to guarantee results in 72 hours or less so while technically travel is allowed, functionally it is not unless you can afford the testing.

Everyone in BC with an MSP number and cell phone has the ability to get their vaccine record online on the secure government website or print a pdf of it, so what will this vaccine passport provide that isn't already available in BC?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...392b03a093.png

dbd33 Aug 12th 2021 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13039636)
?? They are working on a vaccine 'passport' potential for international travel.. .. unless you have a link that shows otherwise? (Links to the pertinent information always helps)

According to CTV news the feds say it can also be used domestically and, surely, that's only sensible. If one needs proof of vaccination (to go to work, to shops or whatever) and one has the passport, why not use it?

Looks like Ontario residents will be getting vaccination ID after all. Not from the provincial government but from the federal government which is creating an international vaccine passport for the Fall. The feds say it can be used domestically. : ontario (reddit.com)

scilly Aug 12th 2021 3:12 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13039661)
According to CTV news the feds say it can also be used domestically and, surely, that's only sensible. If one needs proof of vaccination (to go to work, to shops or whatever) and one has the passport, why not use it?

Looks like Ontario residents will be getting vaccination ID after all. Not from the provincial government but from the federal government which is creating an international vaccine passport for the Fall. The feds say it can be used domestically. : ontario (reddit.com)

This is what I am hoping will happen.

dbd33 Aug 12th 2021 11:15 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13039678)

I expect it'll be a standard. That avoids having to have someone at the door of buildings checking inconsistent documents causing a queue. Ideally they'll be machine readable by the same machines that control office doors.

Jingsamichty Aug 12th 2021 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13039746)
I expect it'll be a standard. That avoids having to have someone at the door of buildings checking inconsistent documents causing a queue. Ideally they'll be machine readable by the same machines that control office doors.

Talking of common sense... do travellers into Canada still have to fill in the customs form? You know, the one they hand out on the plane, and you hold it in your mouth before handing it to Former Lancastrian who wipes the saliva off it, stamps it and gives it back to you to put in your mouth again before then give it to FL's colleague a few yards away?

dbd33 Aug 12th 2021 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13039765)
Talking of common sense... do travellers into Canada still have to fill in the customs form? You know, the one they hand out on the plane, and you hold it in your mouth before handing it to Former Lancastrian who wipes the saliva off it, stamps it and gives it back to you to put in your mouth again before then give it to FL's colleague a few yards away?

Last time I went through the Toronto airport, they'd complicated the procedure. There were machines which I first thought were automated admission machines as they have at airports in the ROW. They are not, they are machines into which one enters one credentials before printing the form to put in one's mouth. The paper used is of the type one used to see in printers that used heat, thin and slippery. I guess that's less absorbent than the cardboard and so less unpleasant for the people who have to handle the forms.

Of course, Canada hasn't invented the single queue yet so there's a mob around each bank of machines and lots of officious people, illiterate in English, bullying those jostling for the machines.

Jerseygirl Aug 12th 2021 2:51 pm

Ontario…513 cases yesterday, no deaths. Quite an increase from 213 last week and 324 yesterday.

Jerseygirl Aug 12th 2021 3:05 pm

That is correct it can be used for domestic and international use, hopefully.

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13039678)

:fingerscrossed:

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2021 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 13039765)

When I flew into Vancouver last (2019) there was no more fill out the form on the plane, everything was done after arrival at a kiosk before proceeding to the booth where a human asks a couple more questions that the kiosk just asked, assuming they are looking to see if you give the human the same answer as you gave the kiosk.

Departing YVR for the US is mostly kiosk now as well, so faster now on the side too, dozens of kiosks, if the kiosk passes you the questioning by a US Officer is minimal, if the kiosk doesn't pass you, off to the long line you go.

Downside with kiosks is when they are not working it can cause chaos.

Siouxie Aug 12th 2021 5:28 pm

The news report (rather than the reddit or twitter feeds from it or a public statement from the Federal Govt) stated that the federal government say it can be used Provincially..
Ford has already said that he won't, apparently.. :ohmy:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8i7BErX...jpg&name=large

More info on the official youtube :)

In a virtual news conference, federal ministers Marco Mendicino (immigration, refugees and citizenship), Dominic LeBlanc (intergovernmental affairs) and Omar Alghabra (transport) announce that Ottawa is moving forward on a COVID-19 vaccine passport system for international travel. The federal government will work with the provinces and territories to develop a proof of vaccination that can be used by fully vaccinated Canadians travelling internationally or domestically.
:)

dbd33 Aug 12th 2021 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13039887)
The news report (rather than the reddit or twitter feeds from it or a public statement from the Federal Govt) stated that the federal government say it can be used Provincially..
Ford has already said that he won't, apparently.. :ohmy:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8i7BErX...jpg&name=large

More info on the official youtube :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvFR...Gjfs9e&index=2

:)

I'm not expecting the Provincial government to take a position on it and that really doesn't matter to me, I hardly ever visit government buildings. If my work accepts it and Costco accepts it, I'm good.

caretaker Aug 13th 2021 1:56 pm

141 new cases on Aug 12 is our most significant daily rise since May.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...059eff4e51.png

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 14th 2021 1:53 am

At this point I don't know if it will ever end.

https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...052-001604.htm

Vaccination rates are getting pretty high at least.

83.2% (3,599,872) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 73.6% (3,183,232) received their second dose.

717 new cases
  • 140 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 821
  • 101 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 593
  • 376 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 2,446
  • 60 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 163
  • 40 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 245

Danny B Aug 14th 2021 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13040305)
At this point I don't know if it will ever end.

https://archive.news.gov.bc.ca/relea...052-001604.htm

Vaccination rates are getting pretty high at least.

83.2% (3,599,872) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 73.6% (3,183,232) received their second dose.

717 new cases
  • 140 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 821
  • 101 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 593
  • 376 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 2,446
  • 60 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 163
  • 40 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 245

As far as I'm concerned the pandemic is over for me. I'm double vaccinated and ready to return back to normal life.

When you actually see the break down of these new cases, a high percentage of them are young unvaccinated individuals with very mild symptoms. I think the Gov has done its job. Yes there will be the odd break through case of fully vaxxed people getting sick or dying, but that's no different from dying of influenza if you had a flu jab, unfortunate but it happens.

If the gov is concerned about these new daily cases, their efforts should be in developing a plan to vaccinate the remaining 30% and stop fear mongering us with daily case numbers. I've stopped looking now, as far as I'm concerned, the wild fires are much more of a risk to me. The fear of me catching COVID is over.

We should all be celebrating how lucky we are :thumbsup:

printer Aug 14th 2021 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13040310)
As far as I'm concerned the pandemic is over for me. I'm double vaccinated and ready to return back to normal life.

When you actually see the break down of these new cases, a high percentage of them are young unvaccinated individuals with very mild symptoms. I think the Gov has done its job. Yes there will be the odd break through case of fully vaxxed people getting sick or dying, but that's no different from dying of influenza if you had a flu jab, unfortunate but it happens.

If the gov is concerned about these new daily cases, their efforts should be in developing a plan to vaccinate the remaining 30% and stop fear mongering us with daily case numbers. I've stopped looking now, as far as I'm concerned, the wild fires are much more of a risk to me. The fear of me catching COVID is over.

We should all be celebrating how lucky we are :thumbsup:

The fires are sure our biggest concern here right now despite the uptick in case numbers. Cases are going up all over so we aren't going to be immune from it and certainly the central okanagan is a tourist hotspot and fully open compared to last summer so what were they expecting?
I noticed on the BBC UK news yesterday COVID hardly got a mention. Afghanistan, student exams and of course the Plymouth shooting incident were the brunt of the news and at the end they quickly listed the days numbers. Today i see that they are saying the R rate is below 1 which is amazing news.

Teaandtoday5 Aug 15th 2021 10:58 pm

Does anywhere in Canada issue the sort of the home COVID-19 (lft) that are widely issued in the UK?

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 15th 2021 11:14 pm

I could not find much on at home tests, I did find one you can do at home, but then need to send off the sample to get tested, and its $250 bucks or 2 for $399 at Rexall, so rather steep, I would rather just do it free at a testing site myself.

https://www.rexall.ca/covid-19/home-travel-test

It's also not fully self test, you do it with a webcam with someone supervising you.

Found some articles from May about Canada being slow to approve at home tests when compared to other countries, could also be due to a small market overall some companies may simply not want to spend time and resources on Canadian approval

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 20th 2021 7:42 am

US expected to extend their side of the border closure by another month.

US currently lists Canada as a level 2 moderate risk on a scale of 1 to 4.

Jerseygirl Aug 20th 2021 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13042575)
US expected to extend their side of the border closure by another month.

US currently lists Canada as a level 2 moderate risk on a scale of 1 to 4.

It is now official…ÙS border is closed until Sept 21.

caretaker Aug 20th 2021 2:45 pm

"Saskatchewan had its highest daily number of new COVID-19 infections in over three months on Thursday. According to the provincial government’s dashboard, there were 190 new cases, bringing the overall infection total in Saskatchewan to 51,821. This is the most new infections since May 15, when 199 were reported."
https://globalnews.ca/news/8127393/c...ate-august-19/

Jerseygirl Aug 20th 2021 2:57 pm

Ontario…650 cases yesterday, 2 deaths. Highest number since early June,

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...nths-1.5554847

Siouxie Aug 20th 2021 5:37 pm

Are the 'cases' being reported people who have tested positive but that don't necessarily have symptoms or are they people in hospital / really ill? Big difference between the 2 scenarios.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 20th 2021 8:56 pm

Considering the population difference that isn't too bad, BC yesterday (today's haven't been released) was 689 and 2 deaths, but we have like 9 million less people.

An independent modelling group made up of experts from the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University and the University of Victoria did their own modelling and if even 50% accurate, it wont be a pleasent fall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rise-1.6147454

I guess the one upside is if fully vaccinated still fairly low chance of ending up in hospital or dead or even showing symptoms to a point you get tested, but there is still a chance even if smaller.

This seems to be the most recent chart from August 14 weekly data dump, but its still almost a month out of date.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...20029b2cc9.png

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13042703)
Ontario…650 cases yesterday, 2 deaths. Highest number since early June,

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...nths-1.5554847

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 20th 2021 11:46 pm

The Central Okanagan restrictions are being expanded to include the entire interior region effective midnight.

Indoor personal gatherings will be limited to one other household, or five guests, and indoor and outdoor gatherings will have a 50 person limit.

transmission is primarily happening in areas with lower vaccination rates, especially those with 0 vaccine.

Interior has a lower than average vaccination rate, Interior overall is at 77 per cent with 1 dose and 68% with double dose.

Some of the lowest areas for vaccination are Creston at 65% with 1 dose, and Nelson at 72% with 1 dose.

Step 4 of reopening likely delayed until further notice.

Dropping the mask mandate was really a mistake, they should have kept masks mandatory.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...g-20-1.6147756
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d1a3ba10f3.png

Danny B Aug 21st 2021 1:13 am

It's sad to see people in other poorer countries not being able to get a vaccine, yet in 1st world countries there a people turning their nose up at it due to reading some shit on Facebook.
These fools are the people that are causing us to take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Really pisses me off.

printer Aug 21st 2021 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13042875)
The Central Okanagan restrictions are being expanded to include the entire interior region effective midnight.

Indoor personal gatherings will be limited to one other household, or five guests, and indoor and outdoor gatherings will have a 50 person limit.

transmission is primarily happening in areas with lower vaccination rates, especially those with 0 vaccine.

Interior has a lower than average vaccination rate, Interior overall is at 77 per cent with 1 dose and 68% with double dose.

Some of the lowest areas for vaccination are Creston at 65% with 1 dose, and Nelson at 72% with 1 dose.

Step 4 of reopening likely delayed until further notice.

Dropping the mask mandate was really a mistake, they should have kept masks mandatory.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...g-20-1.6147756
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d1a3ba10f3.png

Would this really have made any real difference though? I am still unsure just how effective mask mandates are. I mean we know people are not wearing them in private settings where people were allowed to mix in greater numbers, we have seen the pictures of party boats full of young people doing what young party people do and we have seen the relaxing of restrictions on numbers of people allowed indoor dining, coffee shops and pubs. If i go to a local coffee shop as i did today i can now clearly see more tables inside and less space between them. I can also see people sitting talking, drinking and eating without mask of course yet the rules are that i have to put one on to walk from door to counter where there is a large screen between me and employee. It may have made more sense when less people were allowed to sit in. Then there are the large stores with ample space for most of us to keep our distance and do our thing. I am pretty sure we didn't have any mass transmissions from Home Depot or Save On foods for example when the mandate was dropped. Yet since reinstating it we have seen continued increased cases. Busy planes, trains and buses perhaps.

Jerseygirl Aug 22nd 2021 2:58 pm

Ontario…the Covid numbers seem to be growing fast. 722 new cases yesterday. There are now almost 5K active cases across Ontario.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...june-1.5556794

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 23rd 2021 6:59 pm

The non vaccinated will soon learn what they will no longer be allowed to do in BC, in about an hour the province is set to announce proof of vaccination requirements for certain non-essential services.

Exemptions for those who are not eligible to be vaccinated will be made, as well as those unable to be vaccinated due to medical issue.

Teaandtoday5 Aug 23rd 2021 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13043335)
Ontario…the Covid numbers seem to be growing fast. 722 new cases yesterday. There are now almost 5K active cases across Ontario.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-re...june-1.5556794

nothing seems to be going in the right direction, and that’s with schools still on holiday

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2021 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 13043759)
nothing seems to be going in the right direction, and that’s with schools still on holiday

Ontario’s figures are down today to 639.

My feelings exactly. I just hope they don’t close schools down again. A large majority of the positive cases have been double vaccinated, therefore, hopefully it is a mild infection.

Danny B Aug 23rd 2021 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13043762)
Ontario’s figures are down today to 639.

My feelings exactly. I just hope they don’t close schools down again. A large majority of the positive cases have been double vaccinated, therefore, hopefully it is a mild infection.

Do you have a source for this information as if true, Ontario is the complete opposite of BC.

Unvaccinated people currently account for about 90 per cent of COVID-19 cases in B.C., and 93 per cent of hospitalizations. The risk of infection is about 10 times higher for people who aren't vaccinated

Danny B Aug 23rd 2021 10:13 pm

Never mind I found the stats for Ontario, about 30% of those 693 were double vaxxed. Weird huh. I guess we are a tough breed in BC :p

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data#cas...cinationStatus

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 24th 2021 1:05 am

BC is little vague on how those without smart photos or consistent smart phones will be able to prove their vaccine status, just saying there will be a secure alternative whatever that means.

Anyhow this is the list of things one will need to show proof of vaccine for using the new secure vaccine card, so seems our current cards are of no good, will be implemented on September 13 and initially be through January 31, 2022, between September 13 and October 23 only 1 dose will be needed, starting October 24th 2 doses needed to gain entry.
  • indoor ticketed sporting events
  • indoor concerts
  • indoor theatre/dance/symphony events
  • restaurants (indoor and patio dining)
  • night clubs
  • casinos
  • movie theatres
  • fitness centres/gyms (excluding youth recreational sport)
  • businesses offering indoor high-intensity group exercise activities
  • organized indoor events (e.g., weddings, parties, conferences, meetings, workshops)
  • discretionary organized indoor group recreational classes and activities
  • student housing on college and university campuses

Grocery stores, other retail settings and places of worship are exempt.

Under 12 are exempt due to being ineligible for vaccines, however there is no religious exemption.

The rules apply to visitors as well, visitors from other provinces and the the proof that will be accepted will be on a province by province basis, international visitors will need to use the documents they used to enter Canada and show their passports.

Interior needs to pick the pace up.

69% vaccination rate in Central Okanagan
73% vaccination rate in Southern Okanagan
71% vaccinated rate in Kamloops

The best region is in Vancouver Coastal Health, Central Coast at 87% which is nowhere near Vancouver and includes places such as Bella Bella, or Bella Coola.

Vancouver - Midtown is the highest vaccinated area in the Lower Mainland at 83%

Delta is the best area in Fraser Health at 81%

Worst regions are in Northern Health

Northern - Fort Nelson 47
Northern Peace River North 46
NorthernPeace River South 45

Chilliwack at 65% is higher than I would have guessed, lots of religious types who are anti-vaxx and semi regular occurrences of measles due to low vaccination rates, I suspect it might be hard to get them 75% or 80% though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...e-bc-1.6149947

I am vaccinated but rarely have a cell phone on me, (wife usually has it) so I will be curious to see what the alternative is, and how long it takes to obtain the alternative, but luckily nothing on that list will affect me much, I don't go to any of those places.

printer Aug 24th 2021 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13043789)
Never mind I found the stats for Ontario, about 30% of those 693 were double vaxxed. Weird huh. I guess we are a tough breed in BC :p

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data#cas...cinationStatus

Not sure if the media source had confused the figures but according to todays article hospitalizations for unvaxxed were 84% whilst fully vaxxed were 11% yet partial vaxxed were only 5%, half that of the full dose.
Seems a bit odd

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 24th 2021 6:26 am

There are the stats from Monday's press release from the province

Cases (Aug. 11-17):
Unvaccinated: 2,620 (71%)
Partially vaccinated: 583 (16%)
Fully vaccinated: 498 (13%)

Hospitalizations (Aug. 10-16):
Unvaccinated: 95 (84%)
Partially vaccinated: six (5%)
Fully vaccinated: 12 (11%)

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0153-001661

BristolUK Aug 24th 2021 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13043813)
BC is little vague on how those without smart photos or consistent smart phones will be able to prove their vaccine status, just saying there will be a secure alternative whatever that means....

It's a slip of paper that you carry around in a safe. ;)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...9be86f63fa.jpg