British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 2nd 2020 7:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12831934)
Suicide by firearm is common but rarely spoken of due to the private nature of the subject.

I agree with you 100%, mixing drugs & alcohol with depression is bad, throw a firearm in the mix and it's deadly. But no more deadly than access to a piece of rope or a bottle of pain killers. Horrible subject to talk about, but it happens.

I wish to God men would speak about this topic more, I've lost two friends to suicide in Canada.

Unless people have a strong personal support network though, people are mostly hooped, the entire system in Canada depends on people having a strong personal support network, which is silly in a way as a whole lot of people who struggle with mental health lack a personal support network, friends and family tend to ditch people who suffer from mental health issues, calling them too negative to be around, and so people struggling tend to end up more isolated and alone.

BristolUK Apr 2nd 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12831886)
Federal Government has a website that lists a lot of the affected flights, may not have every flight but its at least a resource for people..

I just tried looking for that. Most search results are about flights with affected passengers or crew. A federal site might be good for research purposes but if I met someone off a plane, helped with their luggage and gave a lift home to someone they got talking to (handling their luggage too) who lives around the corner from them, it's that airport at that time I'd want to know about. :nod:

Paul_Shepherd Apr 2nd 2020 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12831907)
Agreed...mental health is going to be huge with this. My mental health has definitely been affected as an extroverted person who doesn't like being at home. I have extremely supportive family and i'm doing alright though. The inability to travel as well as not knowing when this is all going to be over definitely gets to me sometimes though.

Yeah I miss the pub....ahhh deep sigh...

Seriously though I am having very strange dreams night after night, a few of them with my parents in, and they have both been gone for well over 20 years. and detailed dreams about friends I haven't seen in years, even dreams of conversations with people I have never met, just random faces and characters! Very strange....

Oink Apr 2nd 2020 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12831986)

Seriously though I am having very strange dreams night after night, a few of them with my parents in, and they have both been gone for well over 20 years. and detailed dreams about friends I haven't seen in years, even dreams of conversations with people I have never met, just random faces and characters! Very strange....

Me too. My alcohol consumption has plummeted. :(

Danny B Apr 2nd 2020 8:20 pm

It's funny you say that Paul, loads of people all over the world are having crazy dreams. They seem to have started in the last few weeks when the lock down started. I had some really sick dreams the other night, ghastly things happened and I couldn't even blame it on Cannabis this time. The virus has got into our heads.

caretaker Apr 2nd 2020 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12832007)
It's funny you say that Paul, loads of people all over the world are having crazy dreams.

No dreams here that I can recall. I'm getting my sleep in 2 or 3 shifts most nights, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Paul_Shepherd Apr 2nd 2020 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12831993)

Mine too, as not only is the pub off limits, so are mates, so I have no bad influences...with their "ah come on.... one more" :beer:

Paul_Shepherd Apr 2nd 2020 8:48 pm

It's funny you say that Paul, loads of people all over the world are having crazy dreams. They seem to have started in the last few weeks when the lock down started. I had some really sick dreams the other night, ghastly things happened and I couldn't even blame it on Cannabis this time. The virus has got into our heads.

So I am not alone then? I don't feel overly anxious, but maybe I am subconsciously and it comes out through my weird dreams....

I am one for having messed up dreams anyway, real horrific ones. But dreams lately are just strange.... I think your right weather we think it or not this virius has got into our heads

spouse of scouse Apr 2nd 2020 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12832042)
So I am not alone then? I don't feel overly anxious, but maybe I am subconsciously and it comes out through my weird dreams....

I am one for having messed up dreams anyway, real horrific ones. But dreams lately are just strange.... I think your right weather we think it or not this virius has got into our heads

This is something I'm hearing from a lot of people as well. We humans are pretty good at pushing stuff to the back of our minds or not allowing ourselves to think about it in our waking hours, so when our subconscious takes over it can have 'interesting' results.

If you can, don't let the dreams/nightmares distress you once you're awake, they're actually a very efficient way for our brains to deal with stress and no matter how horrific they are they're in no way an indication of how we really feel or think - they're just a jumbled mess of bits and pieces of things we've seen/felt/heard/read.

Jerseygirl Apr 2nd 2020 9:02 pm

I never remember any of my dreams...if I didn’t know better I would say I don’t dream. I usually go to sleep around 11.30 pm...now I am waking at 5 am. I need 8 hours sleep not 5 1/2. :(

spouse of scouse Apr 2nd 2020 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12832065)
I never remember any of my dreams...if I didn’t know better I would say I don’t dream. I usually go to sleep around 11.30 pm...Now I am waking at 5 am. I need 8 hours sleep not 5 1/2. :(

That's a PITA :( Do you have a nap in the day to make up for the lost sleep?

Oddly, the night terrors that are part of PTSD have settled down since scouse and I locked ourselves away. Maybe I'm really just allergic to people! Although, no. I really do like people, even the unlikable ones :D

Jerseygirl Apr 2nd 2020 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12832070)
That's a PITA :( Do you have a nap in the day to make up for the lost sleep?

Oddly, the night terrors that are part of PTSD have settled down since scouse and I locked ourselves away. Maybe I'm really just allergic to people! Although, no. I really do like people, even the unlikable ones :D

sometimes I take a nap...but I try not to.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 2nd 2020 11:23 pm

BC seems to have too restrictive testing requirements, they said today number of tests being done have fallen, so looking into ways to implement more broad testing criteria, the criteria to get tested right now is pretty strict, mainly just healthcare workers, those in hospital or about to be hospitalized, and such. So I guess part of why our numbers are not increasing is they are doing less tests the last few days, they don't have a back log currently, so guess its good time to broaden and start doing more testing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...il-2-1.5519612

6 additional deaths announced today for BC, but more than 1/2 of confirmed cases have recovered.

I haven't had any weird dreams that I know of, the dreams I have remembered have been normal kind, but I am clearing experiencing more Dissociation than I normally do as well as going into my dream world which is an idealized world I created when I was a kid and have built upon it over the decades, both are stress induced, more stress the more often and long it happens.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 2nd 2020 11:46 pm

Even government jobs are not secure in these times. Like other city's have, City of Vancouver is going to lay off some staff, 1,500 of them.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/city...rus-april-2020

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 3rd 2020 12:33 am

At least 44 cases linked to the dental conference at the start of March.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/super-spreadin...ases-1.4879074

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 3rd 2020 2:00 am

Looks like a fair amount of people will as expected fall through the cracks. One group estimating 862,000 wont qualify for EI or CERB.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds...says-1.4879119

Partially discharged Apr 3rd 2020 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12832042)

I'm actually sleeping better. Clients demands were getting into my dreams and I wasn't sleeping that well a few weeks ago. Deadlines aren't as crucial now, clients are nicer and I"m sleeping better. During the day I think about all of the long term implications of this virus and I did look at our portfolio yesterday. (down about 20% from February peak, but actually gone up since March 17, likely due to the increased value of the US $ to the Canadian $).

I participated in an online Zoom trivia hosted by the pub we sometimes go to on a Monday night for trivia and that was fun with 100 households/people participating. There were a lot of red faced people on the video screen as I think many were drinking heavily..

Paul_Shepherd Apr 3rd 2020 10:53 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12832056)
This is something I'm hearing from a lot of people as well. We humans are pretty good at pushing stuff to the back of our minds or not allowing ourselves to think about it in our waking hours, so when our subconscious takes over it can have 'interesting' results.

If you can, don't let the dreams/nightmares distress you once you're awake, they're actually a very efficient way for our brains to deal with stress and no matter how horrific they are they're in no way an indication of how we really feel or think - they're just a jumbled mess of bits and pieces of things we've seen/felt/heard/read.

No I don't let them get to me, although some of them in the past have a little. These dreams I am having now.... I just find them very strange....its almost as though everyone I have met and everything I have done in my life is suddenly appearing in these dreams, even though I haven't thought about them in the waking hour.

I can usually reason why I have dreamt of something….its usually because I have thought about something during the day, but not thought about it for long enough, like a really quick split second thought, then it will normally appear in a dream, but these dreams lately….cant work out why someone or something comes up in dream that happened years and years ago…..and I really don’t get the random faces and in depth conversations with people I have never met! Just plain weird!

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2020 11:21 am

Today Ford is making public the projected stats for Ontario. He said he didn’t want to release them but we have a right to know...warning that they will be shocking.

spouse of scouse Apr 3rd 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12832364)
Today Ford is making public the projected stats for Ontario. He said he didn’t want to release them but we have a right to know...warning that they will be shocking.

That sounds very ominous. He'd probably have been better off just releasing the projections without the warning, it just gives people more time to stress. Hope you're going ok JG :thumbup:

Partially discharged Apr 3rd 2020 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12832364)

Bad news is often delivered by the government late in the day on a Friday.

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2020 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12832385)
That sounds very ominous. He'd probably have been better off just releasing the projections without the warning, it just gives people more time to stress. Hope you're going ok JG :thumbup:

I am doing just fine, thank you. Managing to get out and walk most days in an area where there are not many people. Food etc delivered and left at the door. Trying to take each day as it comes and not ponder about the future. How are things with you, how are your daughter and mum?

spouse of scouse Apr 3rd 2020 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12832394)
I am doing just fine, thank you. Managing to get out and walk most days in an area where there are not many people. Food etc delivered and left at the door. Trying to take each day as it comes and not ponder about the future. How are things with you, how are your daughter and mum?

Good to hear. Muddling along nicely here thanks, just waiting for mum's anaesthetic risk assessment, her last hurdle before surgery. My daughter's power assist for her wheelchair was finally delivered, she's going to wear it out scooting up and down her driveway :lol:

dbd33 Apr 3rd 2020 12:37 pm

Here's a link. http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/premier-to-release-really-stark-projections-friday-as-ontario-confirms-401-new-covid-19-cases/ar-BB124PF3?ocid=ientp

I
just came to post "Redneck Premiere in Doing Right Thing Again Shocker".

Paul_Shepherd Apr 3rd 2020 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12832385)

I think the people who have a handle on how serious this is, will be expecting these figures.

Ford has done this to try and get through to these people who are swanning off to the park when the sun shines, or decide to have a gathering with their friends, because "they all know each other and say oh were ok we know each other we haven't got it" I still don't think it has got through to some people, maybe shock tactics will help..., next step... complete lockdown if people don't listen.

caretaker Apr 3rd 2020 2:50 pm

There's supposed to be some sort of release in Saskatchewan beginning next week as well, but we actually got the message 10 or 11 days ago.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...irus-1.5507892
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...urge-Plan.html

Siouxie Apr 3rd 2020 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12831993)

For those that miss the pub - grab a glass of something (or a bottle) and head over to the Red (on) Lion - an online pub! You will need a microphone - and a camera :D
https://theredonlion.co.uk/

CAMRA has created a virtual pub for beer drinkers and pub-goers to get together for a beer and tackle the loneliness and social isolation felt during the Coronavirus lockdown and closure of the nation’s pubs.

The Red (On)Lion is a video platform where anyone can join the public bar for a lively chat over a beer or book a table to set up video conferencing for up to four participants

Siouxie Apr 3rd 2020 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12832166)
At least 44 cases linked to the dental conference at the start of March.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/super-spreadin...ases-1.4879074

Just as you thought :( I wonder how many people they infected without realising :(

Atlantic Xpat Apr 3rd 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12832520)
Just as you thought :( I wonder how many people they infected without realising :(

Here, 143 cases linked to a funeral home in St John's and two funerals over a couple of days. Out of 195 total in the province!

Paul_Shepherd Apr 3rd 2020 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12832509)
For those that miss the pub - grab a glass of something (or a bottle) and head over to the Red (on) Lion - an online pub! You will need a microphone - and a camera :D
https://theredonlion.co.uk/

Actually funny you say that I did that on WhatsApp last weekend.....you can get up to three people at once on a video call, so we all had a pint and chatted banter and b***cks for an hour! we actually had a few laughs, it sure did break the weekend up!

Thanks for that link Siouxie....may give that a try too!

Paul_Shepherd Apr 3rd 2020 4:43 pm

I think there are a lot in the UK that have had it and didnt know....if this is the case, that could be good news for them, as they could be on the way to herd immunity without even realising it....that would be some good news, although sadly it looks like there are going to be more deaths to come first. I think the UK need to test more....from what I have been hearing.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 3rd 2020 4:50 pm

More than anyone will know at this point.

Ford back in Ontario seems to make more comments and such than our Premier does, he has had some new conferences of course but they have mostly focused on programs and assistance the government is providing. The government has largely let the provincial health officer do the health related news conferences held each day, I don't think she has released exact projections from their modeling, but she did say yesterday at current rate of growth its manageable, so hopefully that is a good sign, but so much can change day to day.

They seem to be running out of people to test though, # of people tested has dropped a bit, so sounds they are going to broaden the testing a bit more, so that may change things.

Danny B Apr 3rd 2020 5:10 pm

See post #888

Jerseygirl Apr 3rd 2020 5:11 pm

Projections for Ontario with current intervention measures in place...3,000 to 15,000 deaths. Without measures 100,000. Population of Ontario is approx 14.5 million. Over 18 mth to 2 years period.

80,000 cases projected by end of April with current measures in place. Without 300,000 cases. 1,600 deaths by end of April with current intervention measures.

dave_j Apr 3rd 2020 6:59 pm

This pandemic, as time from the Spanish Flu pandemic, very simplistically demonstrates is a one in a century event. But this really is a probability and there's nothing to prevent a new viral pandemic ocurring next year, or even now.
This virus attacks lung function and has highlighted the need for mechanisms that assist lungs to absorb oxygen, in this case the much vaunted ventilator.
There's no way to know what useful piece of technology will be needed the next time nature decides to take on the human species.
What is evident is that the virus needs to spread from individual to individual in order to generate a 'pandemic'.
It's not clear to me why low tech items like face masks and gowns haven't been stockpiled in sufficient quantity to provide protection to medical staff during a period that would be defined by a long term pandemic.
These items aren't particularly exciting, but they have been shown to be absolutely necessary in excessive quantity.
If I still lived in the UK I might wonder why disgusting amounts of money have been wasted on a pair of useless aircraft carriers, nuclear powered submarines etc etc, when there's a real need for simple things like a few buildings full of beds that can be used in an emergency. This failing isn't confined to the UK alone. Like the current pandemic, it infects political decision making worldwide.
"Ahhh.." I hear you say, "Nobody saw this coming, so there's nobody at fault."
But this isn't true. We have armies of people who game play the next world war in order to anticipate the needs therefrom and this is driven by the profit motive under the false guise of protecting the population. Where were those game playing experts examining the next global health threat?
I suspect that there existed a small army of Joe Bloggs's shouting from the rooftops of their sheds in the UN that they'd seen evidence of the pandemic starting but such news doesn't win elections or fatten wallets and was ignored.

Teaandtoday5 Apr 3rd 2020 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12832613)
This pandemic, as time from the Spanish Flu pandemic, very simplistically demonstrates is a one in a century event. But this really is a probability and there's nothing to prevent a new viral pandemic ocurring next year, or even now.
This virus attacks lung function and has highlighted the need for mechanisms that assist lungs to absorb oxygen, in this case the much vaunted ventilator.
There's no way to know what useful piece of technology will be needed the next time nature decides to take on the human species.
What is evident is that the virus needs to spread from individual to individual in order to generate a 'pandemic'.
It's not clear to me why low tech items like face masks and gowns haven't been stockpiled in sufficient quantity to provide protection to medical staff during a period that would be defined by a long term pandemic.
These items aren't particularly exciting, but they have been shown to be absolutely necessary in excessive quantity.
If I still lived in the UK I might wonder why disgusting amounts of money have been wasted on a pair of useless aircraft carriers, nuclear powered submarines etc etc, when there's a real need for simple things like a few buildings full of beds that can be used in an emergency. This failing isn't confined to the UK alone. Like the current pandemic, it infects political decision making worldwide.
But this isn't true. We have armies of people who game play the next world war in order to anticipate the needs therefrom and this is driven by the profit motive under the false guise of protecting the population. Where were those game playing experts examining the next global health threat?
I suspect that there existed a small army of Joe Bloggs's shouting from the rooftops of their sheds in the UN that they'd seen evidence of the pandemic starting but such news doesn't win elections or fatten wallets and was ignored.

but if there were warehouses full of stockpiles of this stuff, and no pandemic would there be questions/investigations/condemnation of the waste of NHS resources on unnecessary equipment when people are dying on waiting lists, etc?

After all if the national emergency was of a diffferent nature we might be decrying the running down of our armed forces.

Although there was someone on R4 yesterday who had been involved in a large government’war game’ about a pandemic. He was surprised how little action had been taken as a result of that.

dave_j Apr 3rd 2020 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12832621)
but if there were warehouses full of stockpiles of this stuff, and no pandemic would there be questions/investigations/condemnation of the waste of NHS resources on unnecessary equipment when people are dying on waiting lists, etc?
After all if the national emergency was of a diffferent nature we might be decrying the running down of our armed forces.
Although there was someone on R4 yesterday who had been involved in a large government’war game’ about a pandemic. He was surprised how little action had been taken as a result of that.

Such expenditure shouldn't affect the NHS spending. It would be a strategic preparation for a health emergency.
Unlike the military fighter jet or latest missile, a gown is a gown, there's no need to invest in the newest gown available.
These ideas aren't new. When I was young I remember there being an Isolation Hospital nearby, a realisation that some diseases carried social risks and the local authority was prepared for it. However the advent of immunisation etc meant that such amenities closed.
I wouldn't worry about funding for the military, there's too much cash involved to 'run'down' their slush fund.

Danny B Apr 3rd 2020 7:51 pm

Misinformation like this video killed lots of people. People still don't believe it's real.

BristolUK Apr 3rd 2020 9:29 pm

...If I still lived in the UK I might wonder why disgusting amounts of money have been wasted on a pair of useless aircraft carriers, nuclear powered submarines etc etc, when there's a real need for simple things like a few buildings full of beds that can be used in an emergency.....

As indeed would most people But then they'd go and vote for the party that wouldn't prioritise things that way because they'd be misled about the party that would.

Shard Apr 3rd 2020 9:55 pm

The US is now projecting total deaths at 100-200,000 (heard 240,000 too) although that does imply a 'end date'. I can't say I've seen a similar such projection for the UK. I've heard "we're hoping to keep deaths below 20,000" but no real range. Anyone know the Canada equaivalent?