British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

scrubbedexpat091 May 5th 2021 3:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Maybe Sinopharm vaccine isn't as effective as claimed? 60% of the vaccine doses administered was Sinopharm with the rest being AZ.

Maybe a new mutation that has found away around vaccine protection?



Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002751)
The Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated over 60% of its population against Covid-19, is bringing back restrictions amid a rise in cases.

The archipelago of nearly 100,000 people recorded close to 500 new cases in the three days to 1 May and has about 1,000 active cases.

A third of the active cases involved people who had had two vaccine doses, the country's news agency said. :confused:

How is this even possible?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56992121


Siouxie May 5th 2021 5:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002751)
The Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated over 60% of its population against Covid-19, is bringing back restrictions amid a rise in cases.

The archipelago of nearly 100,000 people recorded close to 500 new cases in the three days to 1 May and has about 1,000 active cases.

A third of the active cases involved people who had had two vaccine doses, the country's news agency said. :confused:

How is this even possible?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56992121

People think they are immune because they had the vaccine; - rather than they are less likely to get seriously/dangerously ill if they do catch it... so they take fewer precautions, not social distancing / wearing a mask etc., I would presume....having the vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't catch it nor pass it on. Having a positiive test is one thing - but do they have any symptoms..?

I'm part of a Canada wide test to ascertain whether I have natural antibodies to Covid.. I'll be interested to find out the result in about 8-10 weeks.. particularly as I had a bout of illness 4 years ago or more that had the same symptoms as it (a SARS type of illness)... I wonder if I developed any natural immunity - and if so, can it help others?

BristolUK May 5th 2021 5:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002751)
...fully vaccinated...
A third of the active cases involved people who had had two vaccine doses...

How is this even possible?

Perhaps it's in the fully vaccinated aspect which includes the time required after the second dose for it to be effective.
It's noticeable the report then refers to two vaccine doses, which is not quite the same thing as fully vaccinated if the time hasn't passed yet.

scrubbedexpat091 May 5th 2021 6:38 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
NB had a vaccine induced clot death. 60 year old woman.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/new-brun...cine-1.5415102

She started having symptoms after 7 days, went to the ER and was admitted to hospital, but died 2 days later.


The first 2 weeks are apparently the high risk for them, but they can apparently happen up to 28 days post vaccination.

Alberta as well, 52 year old woman. She received her first dose on April 21.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/she-dese...neca-1.5414639

scrubbedexpat091 May 5th 2021 8:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
PNE in Vancouver will be cancelled again this summer due to COVID.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/v...n-2021-3751239

Danny B May 5th 2021 10:17 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Very thoughtful of the police to give would be "non essential travelers" a heads up of their location this weekend.

https://bc-cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPag...5&languageId=1

scrubbedexpat099 May 5th 2021 10:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002892)
Very thoughtful of the police to give would be "non essential travelers" a heads up of their location this weekend.

https://bc-cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPag...5&languageId=1

Do not know the geography, are there alternate routes to avoid the roadblocks?

Danny B May 5th 2021 10:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13002899)
Do not know the geography, are there alternate routes to avoid the roadblocks?

Once you leave Vancouver and get to Hope, you have two options of travelling to the interior of BC. Highway 5 (aka Coquihalla) or Trans Canada Highway 1. Both of these routes will have road blocks :thumbsup:



scrubbedexpat091 May 5th 2021 11:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002901)
Once you leave Vancouver and get to Hope, you have two options of travelling to the interior of BC. Highway 5 (aka Coquihalla) or Trans Canada Highway 1. Both of these routes will have road blocks :thumbsup:

Or Highway 3 to I think 5A to 97C to get to Kelowna, we took that route once last summer to see Manning Park and go a different way back, I kind of like that routing best, more scenic and chill and less trucks which is nice.

scrubbedexpat091 May 5th 2021 11:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
If this is true and the lady was turned away from the first hospital and told to go home, that isn't acceptable, she may have lived had she not been turned away from the first hospital and sent home. The lady in Alberta who died from a clot, he daughter is the one who is saying the first hospital turned her mother away.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7836628/d...bXSiPg4OlPPdNE

Danny B May 6th 2021 1:09 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13002907)
Or Highway 3 to I think 5A to 97C to get to Kelowna, we took that route once last summer to see Manning Park and go a different way back, I kind of like that routing best, more scenic and chill and less trucks which is nice.

I also forgot about the really really long way via Highway 99. This route has a road check in Lillooet though.
Vancouver > Squamish > Whistler > Lillooet> Cache Creek > Kamloops.

printer May 6th 2021 1:53 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002929)
I also forgot about the really really long way via Highway 99. This route has a road check in Lillooet though.
Vancouver > Squamish > Whistler > Lillooet> Cache Creek > Kamloops.

But of course if you are heading here from Alberta come on in we have a couple of signs but no road checks!!!

scrubbedexpat091 May 6th 2021 3:56 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
How did I forget that one. I've actually done it once when I first moved to BC as was exploring.



Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13002929)
I also forgot about the really really long way via Highway 99. This route has a road check in Lillooet though.
Vancouver > Squamish > Whistler > Lillooet> Cache Creek > Kamloops.


Revin Kevin May 6th 2021 9:20 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13002553)
If your in BC, the BC CDC has a COVID survey, closes May 9th if your interested.

COVID-19 Survey

Pre boarding PCR test - clear , pre boarding heath declaration - clear , pre boarding temperature check - clear - 8 hours later I have covid... 🤔

OrangeMango May 6th 2021 11:17 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13002793)
People think they are immune because they had the vaccine; - rather than they are less likely to get seriously/dangerously ill if they do catch it... so they take fewer precautions, not social distancing / wearing a mask etc., I would presume....having the vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't catch it nor pass it on.

I am afraid, you're not correct here. It's been scientifically proven that one is immune with the vaccine and you can't pass it on. This is certainly the case with the Pfizer/BionTech vaccine and has been published as well. It's sadly only in Canada where the vaccine and it's effectiveness is always in doubt.

Even the lesser effective vector based Astra Zeneca is having a very positive effect in the UK already not only in infection rates, but also in positive attitudes by the general population and politicians. However I am not certain about not passing anything on, when one has had the Astra Zeneca vaccine. At least I haven't red anything anywhere.

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13002793)
I'm part of a Canada wide test to ascertain whether I have natural antibodies to Covid.. I'll be interested to find out the result in about 8-10 weeks.. particularly as I had a bout of illness 4 years ago or more that had the same symptoms as it (a SARS type of illness)... I wonder if I developed any natural immunity - and if so, can it help others?

What one can actually do out of personal medical interest is to take a blood test around 4 weeks after the 2nd vaccine has been administered, and get the full results on antibodies.

BristolUK May 6th 2021 12:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003034)
I am afraid, you're not correct here. It's been scientifically proven that one is immune with the vaccine and you can't pass it on. This is certainly the case with the Pfizer/BionTech vaccine and has been published as well.

Got any links to that? I've seen nothing anywhere (and I'm not just reading Canadian stuff) to suggest immunity once vaccinated and the most optimistic thing as to whether it can be passed on is an "early indication but too early to say" with any confidence.

spouse of scouse May 6th 2021 1:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13003081)
Got any links to that? I've seen nothing anywhere (and I'm not just reading Canadian stuff) to suggest immunity once vaccinated and the most optimistic thing as to whether it can be passed on is an "early indication but too early to say" with any confidence.

Even Pfizer itself acknowledges that people who've had its vaccine can and do get covid. It's nonsense to say that the vaccine confers immunity.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...and-no-serious



Shard May 6th 2021 1:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13000961)
Just to note that I don't believe you and I think you're a conspiracy nut.

Thanks for the heads up on the nutter. I was about to explain the risk of virus propagation, but clearly no need.

scrubbedexpat091 May 6th 2021 3:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Fake test results apparently easy to obtain in India for a fee.





Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13003004)
Pre boarding PCR test - clear , pre boarding heath declaration - clear , pre boarding temperature check - clear - 8 hours later I have covid... 🤔


OrangeMango May 6th 2021 3:18 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13003081)
Got any links to that? I've seen nothing anywhere (and I'm not just reading Canadian stuff) to suggest immunity once vaccinated and the most optimistic thing as to whether it can be passed on is an "early indication but too early to say" with any confidence.

It was said by Ugur Sahin, the founder of BioNTech on some scientific conference more than a while back. Also the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine only need minor tweaking to respond to all future variants with ease. For Curevac it's too soon to say, I think. Regarding Moderna or Astra Zeneca or J&J, I can't say, nor do I know. The science community also believes that the mRNA vaccine is also a good basis to handle other medical issues, even as far as cancer, one day.

But as long as you have people like "Dr." Tam who constantly doubts science, or Ford in Ontario who "sees too many airplanes" Canada won't get very far with this attitude and free movement will be more than a while away. To Ford this is purely political, he has an election to win, next year, and is paying a of of ads to create the "fear of variants", whilst the spreading is within his province.

It's a very difficult subject for many people in Canada, and also for many users here in this forum- sadly.

Danny B May 6th 2021 3:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003142)

It's a very difficult subject for many people in Canada, and also for many users here in this forum- sadly.

My friend on Facebook said the vaccine will alter your DNA and give you COVID. He's right about a lot of things so I trust him. :getcoat:

“This is not your normal flu vaccine,” “This is something totally different. This is a witches’ brew. I’ve never seen anything like this in science or medicine.”

“There’s many ways it can be taken up into our genome,”. “So when this gets into the genome, if it’s permanent, guess what? You, as a human, can be patented and owned—look it up!”


BristolUK May 6th 2021 3:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Got any links to that?


Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003142)
It was said by Ugur Sahin, the founder of BioNTech on some scientific conference more than a while back. ...

So that's a "no" then.

It's a very difficult subject for many people in Canada, and also for many users here in this forum- sadly.
Poppycock.
Here's a link for you.
BioNTech boss strikes upbeat note on Europe's vaccine drive

Ugur Sahin, whose company developed the first widely approved shot against COVID-19 with U.S. partner Pfizer, predicted that "50-60% of the population will have received the vaccine" by the end of June, at which point any easing of pandemic restrictions would affect a broad swath of the population.
He cited studies from Israel, which shares medical data on its vaccination campaign with Pfizer, showing that people who have been immunized rarely fall seriously ill and are significantly less likely to transmit the virus to others.
So your claim that "It's been scientifically proven that one is immune with the vaccine and you can't pass it on" is hogwash isn't it. :nod:

OrangeMango May 6th 2021 4:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13003151)
Got any links to that?

So your claim that "It's been scientifically proven that one is immune with the vaccine and you can't pass it on" is hogwash isn't it. :nod:

It may be your interpretation. The only claim I have is that the attitude by many Canadians and often even Brits who have been living in Canada for some time is a bit worrying.

The vaccine is for instance way way more effective than any flu vaccine we've ever had.

Doubting the effectiveness of the vaccine would put all long term care / elderly care homes out of business. Why should they vaccinate their employees then, to protect the most vulnerable of society against Covid 19?

To me Covid it a bit like Brexit. Everything said, discussed, done is about differences.

I wonder how the opioid crisis in Canada will be tackled? - if ever? The same way as they did against Covid 19? Far off, I take it.
Or what Cannabis does to your brain? legal or not?

I also wonder what would happen if I would, as a vaccinated Israeli citizen arrive on a direct flight from Israel to Canada? Senseless quarantine? Not in the EU.

Covid 19 has shown me some sides of Canada I honestly neither find friendly, attractive or welcoming.

This discussion feels like telling the SNP that independence is a bad thing, or telling Boris that the EU is a good thing to be part of.

BristolUK May 6th 2021 4:39 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003177)
It may be your interpretation.

Seriously? Siouxie correctly stated "People think they are immune because they had the vaccine; - rather than they are less likely to get seriously/dangerously ill if they do catch it... ...having the vaccine doesn't guarantee you won't catch it nor pass it on."
You categorically stated that was wrong and that "It's been scientifically proven that one is immune with the vaccine and you can't pass it on."
I linked to an article where your man said no such thing and very clearly agreed with Siouxie's comment.

And you think this is my interpretation. :rofl:

spouse of scouse May 6th 2021 4:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003177)

The vaccine is for instance way way more effective than any flu vaccine we've ever had.

Doubting the effectiveness of the vaccine would put all long term care / elderly care homes out of business.

But no one's doubting the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine OM, it's a bloody godsend as are most of those that have been developed. We were just pointing out that the vaccine does not make you immune to covid as you stated.

Shard May 6th 2021 5:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
My understanding is that the immunity is around 70 - 95 % (depending on maker). In which case some recipients are immune (for a period) and some are not. As with any vaccine, the immunity degrades over time. All in all, still need to be careful until enough of the population are immune (vaccine or natural antibodies) that the risk is negligible.

Siouxie May 6th 2021 5:06 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003034)
I am afraid, you're not correct here. It's been scientifically proven that one is immune with the vaccine and you can't pass it on. This is certainly the case with the Pfizer/BionTech vaccine and has been published as well. It's sadly only in Canada where the vaccine and it's effectiveness is always in doubt.

What one can actually do out of personal medical interest is to take a blood test around 4 weeks after the 2nd vaccine has been administered, and get the full results on antibodies.

I'm sorry but you are not correct in your assumption regarding the effectiveness of the vaccine - .it neither gives you complete immunity nor stops you from passing it on if you happen to catch it.
(for a laymans explanation, see here: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...pread-covid-19

I'm particpating in a Health Canada covid antibody test for research purposes, to determine if anyone has natural antibodies / immunity - as a courtesy they will also inform me of the result. They would prefer me not to have had the vaccine until I've taken the test, although if I do then I will need to notify them, but it's not medically appropriate for me to take the vaccine at the present time anyway.. This has been an ongoing research project I have been part of for many months.


OrangeMango May 6th 2021 5:19 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13003197)
I'm sorry but you are not correct in your assumption regarding the effectiveness of the vaccine - .it neither gives you complete immunity nor stops you from passing it on if you happen to catch it.

I'm particpating in a Health Canada covid antibody test for research purposes, to determine if anyone has natural antibodies / immunity - as a courtesy they will also inform me of the result. They would prefer me not to have had the vaccine until I've taken the test, although if I do then I will need to notify them, but it's not medically appropriate for me to take the vaccine at the present time anyway.. This has been an ongoing research project I have been part of for many months.

Both things don't surprise me. Our differences, your opinion, this study, and the whole attitude to Corona in Canada.

Oddly, this doesn't happen in the EU, or the UK.

It's too much obsessed with a "100% solution" which will never ever exist. At the same time, Canada is unable to seem to control the influx of drugs into the country.

I wonder if there is ever such a study on drug use in Canada?



Tangram May 6th 2021 5:35 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Booked in for my first jab on May 20th

bats May 6th 2021 7:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13002343)
The vaccines are effective against infection. Not 100% but way more than the flu shot

wwksf-vaccine-effectiveness.pdf

Looking at a comparison of other vaccines: polio is 99% effective after 4 doses. MMR 97% effective against measles after two doses, 88% against mumps, 97% rubella. Smallpox 95% but there should be boosters, typhoid is 80%. Various internet sources for this data


Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13003081)
Got any links to that? I've seen nothing anywhere (and I'm not just reading Canadian stuff) to suggest immunity once vaccinated and the most optimistic thing as to whether it can be passed on is an "early indication but too early to say" with any confidence.

I think my posts must be invisible.

Siouxie May 6th 2021 9:45 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003202)
Both things don't surprise me. Our differences, your opinion, this study, and the whole attitude to Corona in Canada.

Oddly, this doesn't happen in the EU, or the UK.

It's too much obsessed with a "100% solution" which will never ever exist. At the same time, Canada is unable to seem to control the influx of drugs into the country.

I wonder if there is ever such a study on drug use in Canada?

Why would you have a different opiinion on a Health Canada study on whether anyone has natural immunity or naturally creates antibodies to Covid? Flummoxed.

What has that got to do with the price of fish? It's not relevant to the discussion.. If you disagree with the legalisation of Cannabis in Canada take it to another thread, thank you..

BristolUK May 6th 2021 9:55 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13003261)
I think my posts must be invisible.

OrangeMango seems to have an issue with Canada.

OrangeMango May 6th 2021 9:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13003320)
Why would you have a different opiinion on a Health Canada study on whether anyone has natural immunity or naturally creates antibodies to Covid? Flummoxed.

What has that got to do with the price of fish? It's not relevant to the discussion.. If you disagree with the legalisation of Cannabis in Canada take it to another thread, thank you..

I simply don't share your opinion and you don't share mine. I also haven't offended you. As a Canadian citizen I also have the right to disagree with the government.

It's part of a democracy.

Please accept that. Thank you.

BristolUK May 6th 2021 9:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003324)
I simply don't share your opinion

Yes we know that but you made a statement as scientific fact and it was false. This is not a difference of opinion.

scilly May 6th 2021 10:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13003324)
I simply don't share your opinion and you don't share mine. I also haven't offended you. As a Canadian citizen I also have the right to disagree with the government.

It's part of a democracy.

Please accept that. Thank you.

I accept that this is a democracy, however I do not agree that you have the right to pass on incorrect information

Forget what the UK and EU are saying, PLEASE. They have been way behind Canada since this all started in January last year.

Neither of them instituted lockdowns as soon as they should have done. Both lifted lockdowns before they should have done.

I'm a trained scientist, albeit retired, but I can still understand scientific papers and what they say.

The vaccines are currently being rated as conferring around 70% - 95(98%) accuracy, depending on all kinds of variations, such as country doing the testing, how many people were in the group tested, as well as the vaccine itself.

All you can say is that your chance of developing a severe case of covid is now much reduced ........ but even with the best result, you still have a 5% chance of catching it AND then of passing it on to other people There have been enough people developing covid after having had the vaccine to indicate that you have a chance of that ..... a small chance in the best scenario but it is there.

What NONE of the British people seem to really pay attention to is that even some of the scientists advising the government are making a big point that masks and spatial distancing will still be required for months to come. Canada's scientists and specialists have been saying that all along.

Having had both jabs does not mean "home free, lets party ................. unless you're an idiot or thoughtless of other people.

It's been said by some epidemiologists that covid is going to become like Flu ........ an annual jab will be required, and you may still get it, but in a much milder form, just as you can catch flu now even after you've had that jab.

Revin Kevin May 7th 2021 9:30 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13003347)

Forget what the UK and EU are saying, PLEASE. They have been way behind Canada since this all started in January last year.

Neither of them instituted lockdowns as soon as they should have done. Both lifted lockdowns before they should have done.

The current death rate in Canada is 6.89 per million, in the UK it is 0.96 per million.

The Bank of Canada is predicting the Canadian economy will be on a "bumpy road" for the rest of 2021. The Bank of England is predicting a UK boom with over 7% growth in 2021.

Then there is Vaccination rates.

Maybe some aspects the UK's earlier responses to covid could have been better but now I'd say the UK is in a very good place going forwards.

Shard May 7th 2021 9:39 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13003420)
The current death rate in Canada is 6.89 per million, in the UK it is 0.96 per million.

The Bank of Canada is predicting the Canadian economy will be on a "bumpy road" for the rest of 2021. The Bank of England is predicting a UK boom with over 7% growth in 2021.

Then there is Vaccination rates.

Maybe some aspects the UK's earlier responses to covid could have been better but now I'd say the UK is in a very good place going forwards.

Worldometer reports deaths per million as
UK: 1871
Canada: 644

???

Revin Kevin May 7th 2021 9:59 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13003421)
Worldometer reports deaths per million as
UK: 1871
Canada: 644

???

I said current death rates. The source uses data for the last 7 days.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/


Shard May 7th 2021 10:12 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13003427)
I said current death rates. The source uses data for the last 7 days.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Ah I see.

I imagine there are 127,000 people who would probable agree with you that "maybe some aspects of the UK response could be better" ... if they could.

Revin Kevin May 7th 2021 11:18 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13003433)
Ah I see.

I imagine there are 127,000 people who would probable agree with you that "maybe some aspects of the UK response could be better" ... if they could.

​​​​​​Ridiculous and frankly pretty crass thing to say.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:06 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.