British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Revin Kevin Apr 30th 2021 7:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13001004)
3 million dead people.

Not my idea of "overplayed."

But debate that as you will, it doesn't justify loopy conspiracy theories involving Bill Gates and the Pope.

Bill Gates and Pope?
​​​​​
What your saying is that there has been 3m additional deaths - that would be 1 in every 2000 people including children. You might want to do a bit more research.

bats Apr 30th 2021 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 13000959)
Are people waking up yet? I have been doing a spreadsheet since January 2021 getting the figures directly from CTV News website (red banner on page) of the number of cases, deaths, recovered, etc. from ALL across Canada.
- the last column is the number of deaths daily from a population of 37.5 million
Whilst no death is acceptable I would ask you all to have some common sense- and ask yourself this question

Is it acceptable to close down a whole country for an average daily number of 52 deaths out of a population of 37.5 million?

If you are waking up- you will ask why are we being subjected to that? Then I will advise you that this is about way more than the virus and that Reiner Fuellmich ( the lawyer who successfully sued VW for their emissions scandal) is leading a worldwide team of lawyers in suing governments worldwide for the damage caused by the lockdowns, the PCR tests, the experimental vaccines

If you don't believe me or think i am a conspiracy nut, then I urge you to watch the discussion which took place this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFB2AA28_q4&t=1s

and also listen to an interview with Michael Swinwood a Canadian lawyer who is also part of the team.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/ehradi...cial-an-interv

All I ask is that you please think about things...yes people are dying and that is really sad, but people need to understand what the truth is.

Are you ****ing stupid? It's not just the deaths, hospitals are full, Sunnybrook has a field hospital in the parking lot, there aren't enough staff, rooms, facilities to cope with COVID so people are not getting the surgery they need.
​​​​​​If people followed the damn rules of distance, masks, handwashing, and staying at home the effects of COVID would be a lot less.

You are at best deeply misguided.

dbd33 Apr 30th 2021 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13001011)
Bill Gates and Pope?
​​​​​
What your saying is that there has been 3m additional deaths - that would be 1 in every 2000 people including children. You might want to do a bit more research.

To clarify, Bill Gates and the Pope are not victims of covid but the authors of a dastardly scheme to convince the sheeple that there's a plague so that we'll all have vaccines in the arms and that'll grew transmitters in our heads so that Bill Gates and his computery things will be able to beam papal thoughts in and convert us all to Islam.

JamesM Apr 30th 2021 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13001026)
To clarify, Bill Gates and the Pope are not victims of covid but the authors of a dastardly scheme to convince the sheeple that there's a plague so that we'll all have vaccines in the arms and that'll grew transmitters in our heads so that Bill Gates and his computery things will be able to beam papal thoughts in and convert us all to Islam.

They're also part of a global pedophile ring that Donald Trump is going to rescue us all from because he knows about it.

Lion in Winter Apr 30th 2021 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13001011)
Bill Gates and Pope?
​​​​​

​​​​​​There are other countries besides Canada you know.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 30th 2021 9:33 pm

Various reasons one can travel for and not be in violation of the health order. Police are not permitted to ask for any documentation to back up your reason for travel, so seems mostly honor based.
  • moving to a different principal residence or assisting a person to move for that purpose;
  • carrying out a work-related purpose, including volunteer work;
  • commercially transporting goods;
  • receiving health-care services or social services or assisting someone to receive those services;
  • attending court;
  • complying with a court order;
  • exercising parental responsibilities, including spending parenting time with a minor child;
  • accessing child care;
  • attending classes or receiving training through a post-secondary institution or school;
  • responding to emergencies or critical incidents, including incidents that involve search and rescue operations;
  • providing care or assistance to a person who requires care or assistance because of
    • a psychological, behavioural or health condition, or
    • a physical, cognitive or mental impairment;
  • visiting by an essential visitor or a social visitor as provided in the guidance of the Ministry of Health set out in a document titled Ministry of Health - Overview of Visitors in Long-Term Care and Seniors’ Assisted Living that went into effect on April 1, 2021;
  • attending a funeral service;
  • travelling under the authority of a variance of an order issued by the provincial health officer under the Public Health Act if the variance was made before this order comes into force;
  • travelling for the purpose of avoiding the risk of abuse or violence;
  • travelling by residents of the local health area of Bella Coola Valley or Central Coast to Port Hardy to obtain essential goods and supplies;
  • travelling by residents of the local health area of Hope to Chilliwack to obtain essential goods and supplies;
  • travelling by residents of the Northern Health Authority region into the Nis×a’a Health Authority region;
  • travelling by residents of the Nis×a’a Health Authority region into the Northern-Interior Health Authority region;
  • returning to a person’s own principal residence.

Jerseygirl Apr 30th 2021 9:37 pm

The Premier of Ontario is putting pressure on Trudeau to lockdown the land borders and internal flights. Doesn’t make sense to close most airports, then have the passengers isolate in a hotel, when people can just walk/drive over the land borders, or fly from Province to Province and go straight to their destination.

dbd33 Apr 30th 2021 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13001045)
The Premier of Ontario is putting pressure on Trudeau to lockdown the land borders and internal flights. Doesn’t make sense to close most airports, then have the passengers isolate in a hotel, when people can just walk/drive over the land borders, or fly from Province to Province and go straight to their destination.

I wouldn't think a lock down of borders and airports would be necessary anymore. If people can show that they've been vaccinated then they're low risk, why not let them in?

Jerseygirl Apr 30th 2021 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13001047)
I wouldn't think a lock down of borders and airports would be necessary anymore. If people can show that they've been vaccinated then they're low risk, why not let them in?

It is thought that vaccinated people can still carry and transmit the virus. Plus it’s the variants that are worrying…especially if one arises that is a vaccine resistant variant.

caretaker Apr 30th 2021 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13001047)

Xenophobia. Sod'em. Too many people travel imo, even these days.
Not to be confused with Xenaphobia, or fear of Warrior Princesses, but that's a story for another thread.

scrubbedexpat091 May 1st 2021 12:07 am

Be careful even if vaccinated, the vaccines may not provide the same level of protection especially if you have only received 1 dose, study on Pfizer vaccine and variants suggests so anyhow, would not be surprised if the others are in the same boat.

scrubbedexpat091 May 1st 2021 12:13 am

Canada to pause distribution of the 300,000 J&J vaccines that arrived on Wed, concerns about quality control at the plant in which they were produced.

https://www.680news.com/2021/04/30/c...nson-vaccines/

The issue stems around the Emergent Bio plant in Baltimore that ruined 15 million doses of J&J in March, which resulted in Astra Zeneca being kicked out of the plant, and the US FDA shutting down the plant 2 weeks ago due to concerns about quality control.

I wish now I had asked where the AZ vaccine I received was produced, Europe, India or was it from the ones shipped and produced in the US at that plant.

Jerseygirl May 1st 2021 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13001080)
Canada to pause distribution of the 300,000 J&J vaccines that arrived on Wed, concerns about quality control at the plant in which they were produced.

https://www.680news.com/2021/04/30/c...nson-vaccines/

The issue stems around the Emergent Bio plant in Baltimore that ruined 15 million doses of J&J in March, which resulted in Astra Zeneca being kicked out of the plant, and the US FDA shutting down the plant 2 weeks ago due to concerns about quality control.

I wish now I had asked where the AZ vaccine I received was produced, Europe, India or was it from the ones shipped and produced in the US at that plant.

Don’t double guess yourself J. You have good protection from the first AZ vax…be happy with that…we are. We should hear in the next few weeks about the go ahead of mix and max vaccines for 2nd doses.

JamesM May 1st 2021 12:24 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13001068)
fear of Warrior Princesses, but that's a story for another thread.

A few of these at Hooters! Actually Hooters has closed down now. We should have some sort of thread to honour the establishments that are gone.

scrubbedexpat091 May 1st 2021 7:04 pm

Some of BC's top infectious disease modellers are warning that if current restrictions are lifted as planned after May long weekend, it could result in a spike in new infections, they also warn hospitals are likely to remain full for at least another month.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/asymptomatic-s...full-1.5410108

scrubbedexpat091 May 2nd 2021 10:35 pm

Updated flight exposures, 10 out of 15 international flights with exposures into YVR were from Delhi (operated prior to those flights being suspended)

Domestics flights making up more and more of the exposures though.

For BC only.

COVID-19 Public Exposures

caretaker May 3rd 2021 10:45 am

Seven Manitoba churches are challenging Provincial lockdown measures in court. It's easy for me to be callous and say they have the right to flaunt the rules as long as they don't try to access the health care system when they start dying, and easy to say let them go to prison for their beliefs and be martyrs if they die there. They aren't likely to refuse oxygen or a ventilator the way a Jehovah's Witness turns down blood. As this goes through the courts the arguments for individual rights of expression and assembly versus the arguments for the restrictions will go down many rabbit holes like psychological damage from isolation, how that differs or is increased among some religious sects, and the Crown will present the importance of compliance to reduce the rate of infection and ease the drain on hospital resources. Laws against child endangerment might apply to those taking their kids to mass gatherings, but removing kids from idiot parents in this case would also make martyrs of them. In my view the bar has been set by the mainstream religions respecting lockdown; there's nothing happening at the big churches or the Islamic centre on the corner, it seems to be mostly evangelical congregations and some fringe-ey Baptists that can't tolerate no in-person services. A (Charismatic?) Catholic on Reddit told me getting the sacrament in person was essential for him and "parking lot church" was no good, but also implied the virus was being over-played. It's sad, but if someone was too stupid to recognise the pandemic as a real threat in the first place, they're guaranteed to be too stupid to understand how the threat is amplified by the more virulent and possibly more fatal variants currently driving our surge in cases. I consider them all to be cults, but at least the mainstream cults are taking some responsibility. The Canadian way is to drag it through the courts and provide a little entertainment on the news. This story was just on CBC tv news, then was followed by an item about Regina's drive-through vaccination centre getting a supply of vaccine and reopening for 40+ after a 2 week closure.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ovid-1.6009289

Jerseygirl May 3rd 2021 12:09 pm

6 weeks to go before we get the 2nd shot of AZ. It is looking less and less likely this is going to happen, because we are not getting more AZ vaccine. Hopefully by then scientists will have given the green light to mix and match vaccines.:fingerscrossed:

DMajor May 3rd 2021 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13001768)
6 weeks to go before we get the 2nd shot of AZ. It is looking less and less likely this is going to happen, because we are not getting more AZ vaccine. :fingerscrossed:

So many different opinions going around at the moment and the government not helping by remaining silent.
The 16 week gap between first and second jab is also being questioned as to its effectiveness.
Also, there's such a large % of the rural population who have stated they will NOT take any vaccine so it will be almost impossible to achieve herd immunity like they are doing in the UK.
It's a complete mess!

Jerseygirl May 3rd 2021 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by DMajor (Post 13001825)
So many different opinions going around at the moment and the government not helping by remaining silent.
The 16 week gap between first and second jab is also being questioned as to its effectiveness.
Also, there's such a large % of the rural population who have stated they will NOT take any vaccine so it will be almost impossible to achieve herd immunity like they are doing in the UK.
It's a complete mess!

IMO in a situation like this…a worldwide pandemic that has brought the world to its knees…vax should be compulsory for everyone.

Siouxie May 3rd 2021 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13001829)
IMO in a situation like this…a worldwide pandemic that has brought the world to its knees…vax should be compulsory for everyone.

If the vaccine gave complete immunity from catching it or passing it on (similar to the polio vaccine), that might be reasonable to expect , but it doesn't - it just increases your chances of not becoming extremely ill... I don't believe they can or ever will make it compulsory.

BristolUK May 3rd 2021 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13001752)
...It's sad, but if someone was too stupid to recognise the pandemic as a real threat in the first place, they're guaranteed to be too stupid to understand how the threat is amplified by the more virulent and possibly more fatal variants currently driving our surge in cases....

That Rodeo/anti-mask event over the weekend...I heard a woman saying something about not mask wearing and not distancing right from he beginning and "if it was bad as they it is" she'd have had Covid 6 times over. Something like that.

I just don't understand how these people can be so unaware of their surroundings. Don't they see news reports from India? Never hear about the USA or Brazil? They're oblivious to reports about record numbers in ICU, record deaths somewhere else, variants increasing new cases in other places.

Especially when they live in a province that's been in the news for Covid as much as anywhere in Canada if not more.

I don't get it. :confused:

I have zero interest in Stanley Cup, Winter Olympics, Curling, Super Bowl, NBA play offs etc. But I am totally aware of them when they're happening. :nod:

caretaker May 3rd 2021 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13001868)
That Rodeo/anti-mask event over the weekend..

Was that in Alberta? All those items were run consecutively and I wasn't paying full attention.

BristolUK May 3rd 2021 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13001883)
Was that in Alberta? All those items were run consecutively and I wasn't paying full attention.

Yep.
I found this - https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/central-a...oard-1.5411210

For the group ‘End Alberta Lockdown,’ central Alberta organizer Corrina Fischer says rural residents and local businesses have had enough of endless restrictions announced by the province.

“They’ve had enough of the lies and they’re ready to stand up and say alright we have freedom,” she said.

“I don’t even recognize Canada anymore. We have a choice, if I’m sick, I’ll stay at home.”
And there's another one. Apparently completely oblivious to the asymptomatic but infectious issue.
They must live under a rock.

scrubbedexpat091 May 3rd 2021 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13001855)
If the vaccine gave complete immunity from catching it or passing it on (similar to the polio vaccine), that might be reasonable to expect , but it doesn't - it just increases your chances of not becoming extremely ill... I don't believe they can or ever will make it compulsory.

COVID vaccines are also not fully approved yet, emergency use authorization is not the same as full approval, and slippery slope forcing people to take something not fully approved yet.

Even the US military can't yet make the vaccines mandatory as they can only mandate vaccines that are FDA approved in full, emergency use authorization doesn't count as approval.

Danny B May 3rd 2021 6:14 pm

Boris Johnson has said there is a "good chance" the one-metre plus social distancing rule can be scrapped from 21 June.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...month-12294061

Out of all the rules, this is the one rule that I secretly enjoyed at the supermarket queue. Personal space.

Revin Kevin May 3rd 2021 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13001829)

They couldn't and probably shouldn't make the the jab compulsory - but you could incentivise people to encourage the uptake. Roll out vaccine passports quickly for those of us who want them so we can get on with our jobs, businesses, education and lives.

For those that simply won't be vaccinated well fine leave them they can stay holed up nice and safe just like they are now and for as long as they wish.

Revin Kevin May 3rd 2021 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13001947)
Boris Johnson has said there is a "good chance" the one-metre plus social distancing rule can be scrapped from 21 June.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...month-12294061

Out of all the rules, this is the one rule that I secretly enjoyed at the supermarket queue. Personal space.

I'd vote for that to stay too!
I always understood it was 2m?

scilly May 3rd 2021 7:13 pm

2 m here and most countries, 1 m in England.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had their own controls. BJ can only speak and make rules like this for England.

scrubbedexpat091 May 3rd 2021 10:08 pm

BC MLA disclosed to the public he and his wife tested positive. Infected a few days before getting his first vaccination.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7828597/b...Zt84LmdoEJI51Y

printer May 4th 2021 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13001855)

You could also argue that if the vaccine was guaranteed to prevent passing it on or catching it then it wouldn't matter if some refused it because they would be at risk and not a risk to anyone else. As you said because it only reduces the chances there are still way too many people questioning it's effectiveness and safety. Will be closely watching the UK over next 2 months to see how opening up goes whilst vaccinating the masses.

bats May 4th 2021 5:28 pm

The vaccines are effective against infection. Not 100% but way more than the flu shot

wwksf-vaccine-effectiveness.pdf

Looking at a comparison of other vaccines: polio is 99% effective after 4 doses. MMR 97% effective against measles after two doses, 88% against mumps, 97% rubella. Smallpox 95% but there should be boosters, typhoid is 80%. Various internet sources for this data

Siouxie May 5th 2021 1:32 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13002343)
The vaccines are effective against infection. Not 100% but way more than the flu shot

wwksf-vaccine-effectiveness.pdf

Looking at a comparison of other vaccines: polio is 99% effective after 4 doses. MMR 97% effective against measles after two doses, 88% against mumps, 97% rubella. Smallpox 95% but there should be boosters, typhoid is 80%. Various internet sources for this data

Your link is broken.

bats May 5th 2021 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13002523)
Your link is broken.

it never was a click on link, more of a cut and paste to a pdf. I couldn't copy a "proper" link. Maybe this would work
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DKRAhAjnGLduQW

dbd33 May 5th 2021 2:33 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13002525)
it never was a click on link, more of a cut and paste to a pdf. I couldn't copy a "proper" link. Maybe this would work
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DKRAhAjnGLduQW

Yes, that works.

scrubbedexpat091 May 5th 2021 4:08 am

If your in BC, the BC CDC has a COVID survey, closes May 9th if your interested.

COVID-19 Survey

Jerseygirl May 5th 2021 2:41 pm

Yesterday at least 15 people with Covid flew into Pearson Airport. :eek:

Atlantic Xpat May 5th 2021 3:21 pm

A hidden, terrible problem, worldwide of the C19 crisis are seafarers. 90% of everything we consume is transported by sea. Seafarers are generally from lower wage countries and in normal times work 6 months or more on. With C19 many are effectively trapped on board ships unable to travel back to India, Phillipines etc Many jurisdictions will not allow them to disembark during regular port calls, far less travel. Few jurisdictions will vaccinate sailors. Not their problem it seems. This has all be brought home a bit here as 12 out of the 42 cases we have in Newfoundland at present are onboard a bulk carrier anchored out in Conception Bay, plus one person in the ICU in St John's. I believe that the Newfoundland Govt has offered vaccine shots to the remaining sailors onboard which is a good thing!

Danny B May 5th 2021 3:30 pm

The Seychelles, which has fully vaccinated over 60% of its population against Covid-19, is bringing back restrictions amid a rise in cases.

The archipelago of nearly 100,000 people recorded close to 500 new cases in the three days to 1 May and has about 1,000 active cases.

A third of the active cases involved people who had had two vaccine doses, the country's news agency said. :confused:

How is this even possible?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-56992121

Atlantic Xpat May 5th 2021 3:40 pm

An article running counter to current sentiment in the UK about allowing foreign holidays... https://inews.co.uk/opinion/chile-co...ictions-985916