British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

spouse of scouse Mar 13th 2020 5:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12820100)
neither do I but hubby loves it

Scouse can't get enough of it either. He's always in seventh heaven in Italy. I only like the fresh stuff, not dried.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 13th 2020 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12819815)
That's the level I am at, concerned. I hope your training is just postponed opposed to cancelled.

I am hoping. I just don't see things getting better in the next 2 weeks and if anything worse, so not sure travelling thousands of kilometers from home is even a good decision right now.

I am really not sure anymore.

CanadaJimmy Mar 13th 2020 7:48 pm

British Airways is now offering full-value vouchers to those who planned to travel between 14th March 2020 and 31st May 2020.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ith-confidence
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-V...2ODJ8jbbh3.png

I'm still holding out, I think refunds are coming eventually, are they really going to fly planes with 5 people on board?

Tumbling_Dice Mar 13th 2020 7:48 pm

My training in Toronto, scheduled for mid-April, has been postponed. Not surprising.

caretaker Mar 13th 2020 8:01 pm

I tried watching the press conference, and started swearing at Trump, and I swore at Pence and then I even swore at Walmart and Walgreens. Other than my hatred and irrational outbursts, I liked the plan they have. I don't for a second believe these assholes had any part in developing it, but the Google website that's supposed to be up on Sunday night for screening, then the drive through test sites and house call testing for the infirm seem like the right course of action.

Jingsamichty Mar 13th 2020 8:14 pm

My colleague here in Germany who was supposed to be going to London and Bristol on Monday for the next 2 weeks has just had her travel cancelled by our Belgian company, I await news of my own planned flight to the UK next Wednesday.

Piff Poff Mar 13th 2020 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12819977)
CN Tower closed until at least mid April

Guessing my daughters WWF climb thingy is postponed then.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2020 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12820214)
Guessing my daughters WWF climb thingy is postponed then.

The 365 walk? hubby did that...he said it was brilliant.

BristolUK Mar 13th 2020 9:14 pm

I just had a personal email from that nice Mr Galen Weston.
It includes:

Our service to you also relies on people – your friends and family working in your local store. These 190,000 colleagues have families and concerns of their own, and we should all understand how hard they are working. We are helping them stay informed and prepared. Most importantly, we want them to protect themselves and in turn protect you. That’s why we are retraining colleagues on safety practices and instructing them to stay away from work if they are ill. We know this will raise concerns around missed shifts and income. So, we’re introducing safeguards that ensure they won’t lose pay for COVID-19-related absences. People should not have to choose between their income and good health.

Former Lancastrian Mar 13th 2020 9:32 pm

Forget the shortage of bog roll and pasta has anyone thought that if those who stay home or forced to self isolate will all be logging onto NETFLIX which will probably crash the system :ohmy:.
Craziest 1st world problem asked today was will my smart phone facial ID recognition work if I am wearing a mask?

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 13th 2020 9:38 pm

My niece turns 16 at the end of this month, all her birthday plans have been cancelled since Disney and Universal closed their parks, sucks, but I suppose she wont forget the year she turned 16.

HGerchikov Mar 13th 2020 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12819751)
I am supposed to be going to the UK in a couple of weeks. My elderly parents are moving from the family home to an apartment in a retirement complex. I am obviously concerned about contracting the disease on the flight over and taking it to them. I really don't want to be patient zero at a retirement home. I am weighing this risk against the absolute certainty that my Mum will have a total meltdown before the move if she doesnt have help. So she really needs me to be there.
I am also somewhat fretting about the possibility of getting stuck there if things deteriorate after my arrival. No idea what to do for the best so for now just watching and waiting to see what tomorrow brings.

I spoke to my Mum this morning and was informed, in that voice that no child (regardless of age) can ignore, that if the plane was flying I was expected to be on it. So I guess, at this point, I am going. A lot can happen in 2 weeks but I plan to be extra careful before I go - I live on a rural property, both of us mostly work from home. It's my birthday tomorrow but we won't go out and our sons (who live in higher risk areas) won't come home. Sorry dbd33 but lunch will have to wait until after I get back :)

CanadaJimmy Mar 13th 2020 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12820275)
I spoke to my Mum this morning and was informed, in that voice that no child (regardless of age) can ignore, that if the plane was flying I was expected to be on it. So I guess, at this point, I am going. A lot can happen in 2 weeks but I plan to be extra careful before I go - I live on a rural property, both of us mostly work from home. It's my birthday tomorrow but we won't go out and our sons (who live in higher risk areas) won't come home. Sorry dbd33 but lunch will have to wait until after I get back :)

Just be aware you have to self quarantine for 14 days upon your return to Canada.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 13th 2020 11:08 pm

Looks like Westjet will begin to lay off employees.

11 new cases in BC.

They are making it mandatory that gatherings of 250 or more be cancelled, initially it was a request.

Over 6,000 people have been tested in BC, 4,000 of them done this week.

They know 8-11 has long waits, they are trying to add more staff.

The province does not want employers to ask for doctors notes, employers must understand.

I will have to say the BC Government has been very good at providing updates and being transparent, kudos to them and the response.

HGerchikov Mar 13th 2020 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 12820288)
Just be aware you have to self quarantine for 14 days upon your return to Canada.

I live a pretty quiet life - that would not be difficult for me. However, given the escalation of containment measures over the past couple of days I don't see a snowball's chance in hell of my flight actually happening.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2020 11:26 pm

That’s a really difficult decision for you to make H. Difficult for you and your mum. :(

Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Good luck.

Siouxie Mar 13th 2020 11:47 pm

That's a really tough choice to have to make.... whatever you end up doing be safe..

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! Hope you manage to enjoy it regardless.. :cake: :drinkingwine:

HGerchikov Mar 14th 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12820297)
That’s a really difficult decision for you to make H. Difficult for you and your mum. :(

Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12820309)
That's a really tough choice to have to make.... whatever you end up doing be safe..

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! Hope you manage to enjoy it regardless.. :cake: :drinkingwine:

Thank you to you both. We have gin and I am hoping hubby will go out for cake and bubbly - I think it will be ok :)

BristolUK Mar 14th 2020 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12820260)
Forget the shortage of bog roll and pasta has anyone thought that if those who stay home or forced to self isolate will all be logging onto NETFLIX which will probably crash the system :ohmy:.
Craziest 1st world problem asked today was will my smart phone facial ID recognition work if I am wearing a mask?

It's going to be a weird weekend with no sport but it appears there's a club rugby match on TSN from South Africa. Sharks vs Stormers.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 12:16 am

My biggest worry if planning to travel outside Canada is being able to get back to Canada and not stranded because airlines have suspended flights or Canada places more restrictions, so have a plan in place if travelling outside Canada in the event it becomes difficult to get back.

American Airlines has had a pilot test positive. I do wonder how much longer crews will even be willing to risk it. I wont be surprised at this point if US airlines shut down and suspend all service at some point, cheaper to just not operate rather than fly empty planes around.

British Airways to lay off workers, ground aircraft to reduce costs and battle for survival according to the CEO.

HGerchikov Mar 14th 2020 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12820321)
My biggest worry if planning to travel outside Canada is being able to get back to Canada and not stranded because airlines have suspended flights or Canada places more restrictions, so have a plan in place if travelling outside Canada in the event it becomes difficult to get back.

American Airlines has had a pilot test positive. I do wonder how much longer crews will even be willing to risk it. I wont be surprised at this point if US airlines shut down and suspend all service at some point, cheaper to just not operate rather than fly empty planes around.

British Airways to lay off workers, ground aircraft to reduce costs and battle for survival according to the CEO.

I think you are correct. I have had a few emails telling me that Transat are waiving their change fee so I can cancel and rebook for later in the year for free. Which I think means 'please postpone so we don't have to refund you the full amount if we cancel'.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 12:34 am

The grocery store is pure insanity. Like a scene from a movie.

BristolUK Mar 14th 2020 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12820330)
The grocery store is pure insanity. Like a scene from a movie.

Which one, when?
I was in Giant Tiger on Wednesday. Absolutely normal, fully stocked as usual.

dbd33 Mar 14th 2020 12:55 am

Sorry dbd33 but lunch will have to wait until after I get back :)

No worries. Here's a fun thing. My client doesn't have the VPN bandwidth to support everyone working from home so there's a value ranking; if you're important you can work from home, if not then you can go in or not be paid. Obviously, I'll be going in and available for lunch any time (not if dead).

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 12:57 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12820333)
Which one, when?

No Frills in Vancouver, next door to our building today about 20 minutes ago.

Here are some photos from reddit people have taken inside some of the local stores. Stores have been insanely busy with huge lines at times, worse than Christmas season. Panic buying is in full force here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...y_lineup_goes/

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._at_metrotown/

https://i.imgur.com/FvgF81A.jpg

BristolUK Mar 14th 2020 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12820335)
No Frills in Vancouver, next door to our building today about 20 minutes ago.

Those pictures must be fake.;) Vancouver and they're wearing coats. Isn't it 80f there? :rofl:

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 1:35 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12820339)
Those pictures must be fake.;) Vancouver and they're wearing coats. Isn't it 80f there? :rofl:

been around 7-9C during the day and dipping to -2 to 0 overnight.

Via Rail is suspending Montreal-Halifax route, known as the Ocean, and the Toronto-Vancouver route, known as the Canadian until March 27, possibly longer I imagine if things don't improve. Approx 1,800 passengers affected.

My wife had a job interview scheduled for today, but it was cancelled.

HGerchikov Mar 14th 2020 1:57 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820334)
No worries. Here's a fun thing. My client doesn't have the VPN bandwidth to support everyone working from home so there's a value ranking; if you're important you can work from home, if not then you can go in or not be paid. Obviously, I'll be going in and available for lunch any time (not if dead).

Well, at least you know your place in the rankings! Assuming I go to UK I will see you after whatever quarantine period is required, if not it will be earlier.

Danny B Mar 14th 2020 2:06 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12820333)
Which one, when?

This is pretty much every Costco in North America right now

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 2:14 am

We got an email from the strata property management company this evening, someone in the building is in isolation due to the virus.

Danny B Mar 14th 2020 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12820353)
We got an email from the strata property management company this evening, someone in the building is in isolation due to the virus.

https://tenor.com/830W.gif

dbd33 Mar 14th 2020 3:06 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12820347)
Well, at least you know your place in the rankings! Assuming I go to UK I will see you after whatever quarantine period is required, if not it will be earlier.

Good luck if you go. I certainly would even with a risk of being trapped in the UK. I keep taking "one last contract" here because of the money but it all goes in alimony and taxes anyway. I'm increasingly feeling that I'm going to die in Ontario and then I'd have to come back and haunt myself for not doing better!

scilly Mar 14th 2020 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12820345)
been around 7-9C during the day and dipping to -2 to 0 overnight.

Via Rail is suspending Montreal-Halifax route, known as the Ocean, and the Toronto-Vancouver route, known as the Canadian until March 27, possibly longer I imagine if things don't improve. Approx 1,800 passengers affected.

My wife had a job interview scheduled for today, but it was cancelled.

Drat!

They also cancelled The Skeena, from Jasper to Prince Rupert.

I was thinking we might book ourselves a little trip away :lol:

Daughter and family are in Florida, arrived on Wednesday for 10 days, now re-booked for return home this coming Tuesday ............. DisneyWorld and other sites being closed as of Monday. Her OH and son will have to go into 14 day isolation when they get home ......... he's a teacher and child is at school, a school board/provincial government/health officer decision for both of them. She'll probably have to do the same as "parents and other family members are advised to do the same".

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 4:22 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12820370)
Drat!

They also cancelled The Skeena, from Jasper to Prince Rupert.

I was thinking we might book ourselves a little trip away :lol:

Daughter and family are in Florida, arrived on Wednesday for 10 days, now re-booked for return home this coming Tuesday ............. DisneyWorld and other sites being closed as of Monday. Her OH and son will have to go into 14 day isolation when they get home ......... he's a teacher and child is at school, a school board/provincial government/health officer decision for both of them. She'll probably have to do the same as "parents and other family members are advised to do the same".

Fingers crossed they get home safely.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 14th 2020 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12820356)

At least this building doesn't have shared ventilation, there is no ventilation system in the units other than opening the window. So every unit is self contained in that regard.

MillieF Mar 14th 2020 11:25 am

All New Brunswick schools have been closed for a two week period and UNB and St. Thomas’s Uni have been closed too, until the end of the academic year, but will continue on line. There are no Jury trials going on in the court system either, and they are considering shutting the Provincial courts down. They are thinking of canceling the Marathon!

A rather sad thing I heard was that they might have to pull all of the lobster boats in (which is a very large economic factor to Atlantic Canada) because the Pacific Rim markets that normally buy our lobsters have collapsed.

Quite apart from whether you or I actually get this thing, the knock on financial and social effect of it is bloody appalling.

I cannot begin to grasp the idiocy of these toilet paper buyers :confused: How utterly stupid can people be?

Atlantic Xpat Mar 14th 2020 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12820334)

This is the concern with my employer as well. As a regular WFH guy I know when lots of others are doing the same as the VPN slows down. While our St John's office is still open, head office in London is now closed until further notice. So that's another 600 people working from home. Monday is going to be interesting!

spouse of scouse Mar 14th 2020 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12820476)

I cannot begin to grasp the idiocy of these toilet paper buyers :confused: How utterly stupid can people be?

FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)

macadian Mar 14th 2020 12:32 pm

If you have a DAZN monthly account, you can pause it until footy etc gets back to normal. Just paused mine. Opened the account solely for the English Premiership. Those that have an annual account are screwed. Some think a free month may be offered in compensation for annual subscribers.

BristolUK Mar 14th 2020 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12820476)
All New Brunswick schools have been closed for a two week period

It saves all the arguments over kids not being allowed in school according to whether it was them or parents who took trips abroad. :nod: