British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Shard Mar 31st 2021 12:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12989728)
You really need to extend your news sources if you've heard nothing about care homes without adequate PPE and other matters like p/t staff working in different care homes enabling spread.

Interesting piece on CBC saying Canadian care home Covid performance was worst amongst advanced economies. And that Quebec was able to improve it's performance under the second wave but the Prairies had worse performance. Covid does seem to really feed off the public's complacency. Whenever it doesn't spread (through measures or pure luck) the local public assumes "can't see it, it's not there". I sometimes wonder how the public/authorities can be that deluded.

abner Mar 31st 2021 1:35 pm

Worth a look in terms of how much we seem to have underestimated Covid-19 transmission potential via aerosol spread. I'd be surprised if Australia was the only place to have gotten it wrong.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...tudy/100039258

BristolUK Mar 31st 2021 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12989769)
Worth a look in terms of how much we seem to have underestimated Covid-19 transmission potential via aerosol spread. I'd be surprised if Australia was the only place to have gotten it wrong.

:confused: I don't think I'm especially well read but none of this seems new.
There are a few figures in that report but essentially it's just confirmation of the kind of thing well reported in any decent newspaper or news resource over the past year. Even the daily mail has regularly covered stuff like it.
Here's one from August last year
More signs airborne coronavirus can infect you: Hospital discovers contagious virus particles floating 16 FEET away from patients

But a new study from the University of Florida has confirmed that these droplets don't just contain bits of genetic material, but are actually infectious.

Air samples collected from a hospital room found contagious virus particles between seven feet and 16 feet away from patients lying in their beds.

The latter is much greater distance than the six feet guidelines recommended by public health experts to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Shard Mar 31st 2021 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12989769)

That's an excellent article. Why wasn't this kind of research/info out there a year ago (once we got wind of severe respiratory infection coming).

I guess I'll continue to get dirty looks from joggers when I move well out of their way.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 31st 2021 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12989659)
WTF are you serious ? Were they wearing shields ?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12989593)
What???? :eek: My husband was in the ER here in Toronto 3 weeks ago. Everyone wore masks. Patients had to removed their own masks and wear hospital provided masks

Surprised me, I had expected 100% mask compliance in a hospital but the times I have gone, many without masks, especially the admin workers doing the checking in and registration and such but at least some nurses (I assume they were nurses since they were putting an IV into me) don't wear masks at all times.

Heck even when I went to the urgent care that is doing COVID testing, all the admin workers doing the check in had no masks on working in close proximity to one another, the nurses doing the actual tests though had masks on.

I get why patients may have to take their masks off, but workers should 100% being wearing masks 100% of the time but that wasn't my experience in the times I have gone to the hospital or urgent care.

caretaker Mar 31st 2021 3:40 pm

I was in hospital 9 days and everybody was masked up. Every time I go back to see the surgeon everyone is masked up, and I go to a physio clinic twice a week and everyone there is masked as well. They hired a young man just to take temps and ask covid screening questions at the door, and to wipe down the waiting room chairs between patients. Our lockdown of restaurants and bars has been extended from Apr 5 to Apr 12 in order to try to stem variants cases. There are exposures at restaurants and stores as seen in this bulletin. A part time cook at the Serbian Club tested positive so the 3 waitresses who had been picking up orders from him were sent home to self monitor.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4113d8c831.jpg

BEVS Mar 31st 2021 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12989775)
That's an excellent article. Why wasn't this kind of research/info out there a year ago (once we got wind of severe respiratory infection coming).

I guess I'll continue to get dirty looks from joggers when I move well out of their way.

I thought it was. It was my understanding anyway from what was being said and written here in NZ.

You do right , so blow the joggers.

abner Mar 31st 2021 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12989774)
:confused: I don't think I'm especially well read but none of this seems new.
There are a few figures in that report but essentially it's just confirmation of the kind of thing well reported in any decent newspaper or news resource over the past year. Even the daily mail has regularly covered stuff like it.

The "few figures in the report" are really the whole point of it. It takes a broad conceptual finding (e.g. per the DM article you reference, "Last month [i.e. July 2020], the WHO formally recognized that SARS-CoV-2, the official name of the virus, can be carried by aerosols."), and expands on it in two critical dimensions:
  • Through controlled experimentation, it provides some quantification of the human production of aerosols in different contexts (e.g. coughing vs talking vs deep breathing)
  • It provides fresh insight into which medical treatment contexts provide relatively greater or lesser Covid-19 aerosol transmission risks for front-line medical personnel
Dry stuff when put that way, I suppose. But to the extent that it provides an evidentiary basis to drive changes in "best clinical practice", for reducing Covid-19 transmission risks for front-line medical workers, it's relevant, timely, and useful.

caretaker Mar 31st 2021 9:28 pm

Here's our provincial update. It would be nice to see that graph start trending down again.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...47bc340ee0.jpg

BristolUK Mar 31st 2021 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12989939)
The "few figures in the report" are really the whole point of it. It takes a broad conceptual finding (e.g. per the DM article you reference,

The point I was trying to make was that the report was the same as many reported studies last year that also had detail and figures. The mail article I referenced was simply to show that less reliable sources had even covered such research and, as such, none of the information should come as a surprise.

bats Mar 31st 2021 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12989591)
Are hospitals carefully controlled?

The times I have gone over the last year lots of admin and support staff without masks on, when I had my CT done at the Kelowna hospital in October, the nurse who checked me in and did the IV wasn't wearing a mask. My wife had to go to the hospital for a psychiatrist consult in the ER a few weeks ago, not all staff wore masks, a good amount were not wearing masks.

That's bizarre. Apart from everyone in a public building ought to be wearing masks it's unthinkable that hospital staff should remove theirs. Depending on the procedure some are double masked and wear eye shields too.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 31st 2021 11:28 pm

All Indigenous peoples over age 18 are now eligible for vaccines in BC.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 31st 2021 11:46 pm

1,013 new cases in BC today, pretty sure this is the highest single day count we have had so far. 3 additional deaths. Hospital outbreak in Vernon. 7,405 active cases of COVID-19 currently in the province.

Variant of concerns not available today due to a delay in the sequencing analysis.

printer Apr 1st 2021 1:28 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12989728)
You really need to extend your news sources if you've heard nothing about care homes without adequate PPE and other matters like p/t staff working in different care homes enabling spread.

Old news from 1 year ago yes this was very much a thing and was shocking to most. Now it's one year on, we have learned a lot, apparently, yet still there seems to be issues with care homes. Are you suggesting that we still have limited PPE, staff working multiple homes, not enough other restrictions? Again in todays local news (it could be wrong) they mention care home visit restrictions being lifted tomorrow. I cannot for one minute believe that to be the case. Today an outbreak was declared at Vernon hospital, yet another medical facility, not a restaurant. If there is research suggesting that the majority of infected people were eating out shortly before i would have thought that may be an important point to mention in yesterdays new mandate on closure and what happened to so called track and trace? Everyone who eats out has to give name and number, is there no tracing going on?

Danny B Apr 1st 2021 1:54 pm

I reckon Bonnie Henry will be shutting us down to 'essential' businesses staying open only at this rate. Guess I had better panic buy some shopping now :lol:

This is all feeling like a bad case of de ja vu :sneaky:

caretaker Apr 1st 2021 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12990165)
This is all feeling like a bad case of de ja vu :sneaky:

Deja vu, shouldn't have had to correct you again. :lol:

Jerseygirl Apr 1st 2021 2:49 pm

Ontario’s Covid numbers have been steadily rising since NY...to approx 2,300 per day. From Saturday at 12 am outdoor dining is banned again. It was only opened up 2 weekends ago. Shops can stay open but the capacity has again been reduced. Gyms and salons to stay closed. A decision has yet to be made whether to close schools.

I have no idea why people in Toronto are not clamoring to get vaccinated, but there seems to be plenty of vacant appointments available. I wish they would have appointments in the morning, then open up the afternoons for anyone who wants to be vaccinated.

Rete Apr 1st 2021 3:01 pm

Interesting article this morning stating that Pfizer and BioNTech vaccines only protect for six months.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...qfn?li=BBorjTa

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 1st 2021 3:29 pm

No, they said it protects for at least 6 months based on the current data they have from their ongoing trial.

"The question of how long vaccine protection lasts can only be answered once enough time has passed, and while six months of protection is a modest target, it's longer than previously known. The study is continuing and future updates may reveal more about how long and how strong this protection is."

"The ongoing Phase 3 clinical trial of Pfizer/BioNTech's coronavirus vaccine confirms its protection lasts at least six months after the second dose, the companies said Thursday."

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12990199)
Interesting article this morning stating that Pfizer and BioNTech vaccines only protect for six months.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...qfn?li=BBorjTa

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 1st 2021 3:38 pm

BC Human rights tribunal seems annoyed about the amount of complaints being filed over masks.

"The B.C. Human Rights Tribunal has made it clear that anyone thinking of filing a complaint because they were told to wear a mask in a store will actually have to prove they have a disability that prevents them from doing so."

""The Code does not protect people who refuse to wear a mask as a matter of personal preference, because they believe wearing a mask is 'pointless,' or because they disagree that wearing masks helps to protect the public during the pandemic," Adamson said."

"Any claim of disability discrimination arising from a requirement to wear a mask must begin by establishing that the complainant has a disability that interferes with their ability to wear the mask," Adamson wrote.

BristolUK Apr 1st 2021 4:21 pm

Record numbers of covid patients in Ontario ICUs? :ohmy:

Jerseygirl Apr 1st 2021 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12990241)

Toronto’s ICU’s are full. :eek:

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 1st 2021 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12990241)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8ebe4ef84f.png

Siouxie Apr 1st 2021 5:17 pm

The whole Province of Ontario going into Shutdown / Lockdown from Saturday.. official

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 1st 2021 10:29 pm

832 cases of COVID-19 and five deaths in BC.

787,649 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C. including 87,394 second doses.

Government asking people not to have holiday gatherings or travel over the holiday weekend.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.5973130

printer Apr 1st 2021 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12990359)
832 cases of COVID-19 and five deaths in BC.

787,649 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C. including 87,394 second doses.

Government asking people not to have holiday gatherings or travel over the holiday weekend.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.5973130

Don't you think they are being a bit too lenient still? I am not a fan of lock downs i don't want to see businesses struggle and people out of work and i certainly don't like being forced to stay in BUT it seems that all this "asking" people and saying things like "be kind" and "advising" people not to gather or travel is just pussyfooting around. Horgan had said a while back they couldn't really ban travel interprovincially yet surely it's not that hard if they had the balls to get tough. UK managed to stop people travelling and police were out in force stopping traffic. How many routes are there from Say the Lower Mainland to Kelowna? 3? A road check on each one would soon stop people travelling unnecessarily. How many campers have you seen just today ready for the off? Are they all going "up the road" or are they travelling further afield? Big White said they closed early because majority of booking enquiries were from Lower Mainland so clearly people are not bothered about being asked not to. I just shake my head when i see that restaurants and coffee shops are prevented for indoor eating yet nothing else is changing.
Maybe i am missing something here.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 2nd 2021 12:16 am

I do think in many ways they have been too lenient and indeed people have taken advantage of that.

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12990371)
Don't you think they are being a bit too lenient still? I am not a fan of lock downs i don't want to see businesses struggle and people out of work and i certainly don't like being forced to stay in BUT it seems that all this "asking" people and saying things like "be kind" and "advising" people not to gather or travel is just pussyfooting around. Horgan had said a while back they couldn't really ban travel interprovincially yet surely it's not that hard if they had the balls to get tough. UK managed to stop people travelling and police were out in force stopping traffic. How many routes are there from Say the Lower Mainland to Kelowna? 3? A road check on each one would soon stop people travelling unnecessarily. How many campers have you seen just today ready for the off? Are they all going "up the road" or are they travelling further afield? Big White said they closed early because majority of booking enquiries were from Lower Mainland so clearly people are not bothered about being asked not to. I just shake my head when i see that restaurants and coffee shops are prevented for indoor eating yet nothing else is changing.
Maybe i am missing something here.

JamesM Apr 2nd 2021 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12990191)
Ontario’s Covid numbers have been steadily rising since SCHOOLS OPENED in January...to approx 2,300 per day. From Saturday at 12 am outdoor dining is banned again. It was only opened up 2 weekends ago. Shops can stay open but the capacity has again been reduced. Gyms and salons to stay closed. A decision has yet to be made whether to close schools.

Fixed it for you. Ontario's Covid numbers rise when schools are open and fall when they are closed.

With regards to vaccine appointments the antiquated healthcare system has been ruthlessly exposed. To expect vulnerable people in their 80's to line up in the freezing cold outside is literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The lack of a central Healthcare system means they can't get to the most vulnerable to vaccinate them.

The vaccine booking website no doubt developed by over paid contractors is woefully inadequate to book appointments on the days that it does work.

In the last twelve months covid has exposed all three tiers of government for being incompetent and failing to represent value for the tax payer.

Boris Johnson puts them all to shame. Boris "Facking" Johnson.

It's unbelievable.

Jerseygirl Apr 2nd 2021 1:39 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12990395)
Fixed it for you. Ontario's Covid numbers rise when schools are open and fall when they are closed.

With regards to vaccine appointments the antiquated healthcare system has been ruthlessly exposed. To expect vulnerable people in their 80's to line up in the freezing cold outside is literally the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The lack of a central Healthcare system means they can't get to the most vulnerable to vaccinate them.

The vaccine booking website no doubt developed by over paid contractors is woefully inadequate to book appointments on the days that it does work.

In the last twelve months covid has exposed all three tiers of government for being incompetent and failing to represent value for the tax payer.

Boris Johnson puts them all to shame. Boris "Facking" Johnson.

It's unbelievable.

Well said James.

Yeah 80+ yr olds waiting outside in sub zero temps. Now we have mass vac centres in Toronto almost empty. Staff being paid to stand around. Unbelievable.

JamesM Apr 2nd 2021 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12990398)
Well said James.

Yeah 80+ yr olds waiting outside in sub zero temps. Now we have mass vac centres in Toronto almost empty. Staff being paid to stand around. Unbelievable.

People can't get there.

It's fine encouraging people like me to get to a vaccination centre but asking folks over 65 to travel anywhere in a Canadian winter is not kind let alone during a pandemic. It's a complete failure.

I'm glad the distribution network is expanding but this whole thing has been a mess.

30 kids are able to eat lunch in a classroom together and yet 4 adults can't eat a meal outside a restaurant outside. They don't test kids and then tell us track and trace isn't working. What idiots are these people? Today has been depressing and long.

Ontario- closed for business!

abner Apr 2nd 2021 8:49 am

While I don't doubt there have been less-than-wonderful experiences for old folks getting vaccinated in Ontario, there have also been good ones. My parents, both mid-80s, received their first shots exactly as scheduled, just under two weeks ago. No fuss, no outdoor lineups, no problem. Not sure what gave them a good experience vs a bad one, but it would be wrong to assume that the process is all going to hell in a handcart.

Just sayin'.

BristolUK Apr 2nd 2021 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by abner (Post 12990461)
While I don't doubt there have been less-than-wonderful experiences for old folks getting vaccinated in Ontario, there have also been good ones. My parents, both mid-80s, received their first shots exactly as scheduled, just under two weeks ago. No fuss, no outdoor lineups, no problem. Not sure what gave them a good experience vs a bad one, but it would be wrong to assume that the process is all going to hell in a handcart.

Just sayin'.

Sounds fair. Here they've been giving the jabs for older folk at Pharmacies which are mostly big ones like Shoppers. My MIL went on Tuesday at her appointed time but because it had just been announced that the AZ vax wasn't being given to under 55s, a late decision was made to jab anyone over 55 who just turned up, so they were crowded.

It wasn't great for people who had appointments - MIL waited about 30 minutes longer than her time - but it sounds like it was a bonus for a greater number of people. And despite being much busier than expected the line-up only went back to the door so they were all inside.

My appointment is at a vax centre - which is a lot more inconvenient to me than the pharmacy but mainly because I'm a rare non driver. However, it's not that far, though it means a taxi, but it's an events centre and all indoors. I'll find out what it's like next Tuesday.

Shard Apr 2nd 2021 2:20 pm

From what I've gather, Ontario is now going into a 3rd lockdown due to rising cases, BC is shutting venues again due to rising cases, and Alta is without any restrictions ?! WTF. After one year of this pandemic it's mystifying that the authorities/public don't make the connection between virus transmission and freedom.

Revin Kevin Apr 2nd 2021 2:45 pm

It's not rocket science. Is it a coincidence that the countries panicking about a third wave (France, Germany and Canada come to mind! ) are ones who are behind the curve regarding vaccine rollout? Oh and they just happen to be among countries that are restricting the use of the perfectly good AZ vaccine and essentially condeming therefore a number of their citizens.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 2nd 2021 6:37 pm

Canucks hockey team is up to 8 players and 1 staff member testing positive.

https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks...ases-1.1617242

Shard Apr 3rd 2021 3:30 pm

It's a long read, but essentially over-optimistic Bob took his family to Birmingham in August to take advantage of the the UK's Eat Out to Help Out (EOTHO) scheme, got Covid, and died soon after. Such a gamble, and so many seemed to dismiss Covid risk last summer. Good commentary on Sunak and the government on it's ineptitude.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...t-him-his-life

Sunak was the driving force behind EOTHO; promotional images for the initiative had his signature on them. He was riding high at the time, basking in approval ratings higher than those of the prime minister. A political unknown just six months previously, he was now beloved by the British public for turning on the spending taps. The government-funded scheme gave consumers 50% off the cost of food and soft drinks, up to a maximum discount of £10 a person, in participating businesses on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August. A total of 160m meals were claimed at 78,116 participating outlets that month, meaning that about 1.5 meals were claimed for each person in the UK. It is impossible to estimate how far airborne Covid particles can travel in an indoor setting. “They will travel as far as the airflow takes them,” says Morawska. “That may be metres or tens of metres.” ...Han Liu of the University of Minnesota has modelled the transmission of Covid in restaurant settings. “Only keeping 6ft [1.8 metres] away from each other is not enough in some circumstances,” says Liu. He cites other factors, such as air-conditioning, ventilation and even the way body heat can cause air particles to rise and circulate. “All of these factors will create a complex flow pattern that will drive small droplets further than 6ft from a spot and infect other people.” Although Liu’s study was published in February 2021, he points me towards a paper published in July 2020 that examined a Covid outbreak in a restaurant in Guangzhou, China. It came to similar conclusions.
Edited.. reduced to 1 paragraph - fair usage limits..
*and previously posted:
https://britishexpats.com/forum/mapl.../#post12989345

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 3rd 2021 10:36 pm

14 canuck players now on the COVID list.

P.1 variant is playing a role in the outbreak.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/14-c...nhl-covid-list

4 games postponed so far.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 4th 2021 1:24 am

They don't typically update on weekends or holidays, but they did today.

Friday- 1,018 new cases.
Saturday- 1,072 new cases.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...il-3-1.5974891

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 4th 2021 4:19 am

Doctor in Vancouver who works in a hospital tweeted this.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 4th 2021 4:19 am