British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

MillieF Aug 8th 2020 9:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12894161)

I personally can't blame people, I go back and fourth on it, should I get it as soon as its offered to me, or wait and see if there are any long term side effects

If we don't take the vaccine, there is a very good chance that we won't have to worry about 'long term' anything...

I went to school with a kid who had had poliomyelitis... that child had been stuck in what my parents called an 'iron lung' and he had terrible, long term, health problems.

We have lived through a period when these terrible problems that ravaged 'our' society virtually disappeared...Africa would have been delighted to have had the 'problem' of worrying whether or not to be vaccinated for many things...

printer Aug 8th 2020 9:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12894230)
If we don't take the vaccine, there is a very good chance that we won't have to worry about 'long term' anything...

I went to school with a kid who had had poliomyelitis... that child had been stuck in what my parents called an 'iron lung' and he had terrible, long term, health problems.

We have lived through a period when these terrible problems that ravaged 'our' society virtually disappeared...Africa would have been delighted to have had the 'problem' of worrying whether or not to be vaccinated for many things...

No one, medically qualified or otherwise is going to come right out and give us a written guarantee that the new vaccine is 100% safe and that there will be no side effects or worse in time to come, how could they it's not been fully developed and tested yet let alone had the required number of years to prove itself. Even pro vaxers will be concerned about the ultimate safety of this vaccine that is being rushed through right now in various forms from various countries. I can see large numbers of people agreeing to the concept but holding off until they know more. Or do we all trust the governments advice because that's been a rollercoaster so far.

Danny B Aug 8th 2020 10:16 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 8th 2020 10:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12894230)
If we don't take the vaccine, there is a very good chance that we won't have to worry about 'long term' anything...

I went to school with a kid who had had poliomyelitis... that child had been stuck in what my parents called an 'iron lung' and he had terrible, long term, health problems.

We have lived through a period when these terrible problems that ravaged 'our' society virtually disappeared...Africa would have been delighted to have had the 'problem' of worrying whether or not to be vaccinated for many things...

I am not saying don't get the vaccine, but feel people do have valid reasons to be cautious about a vaccine that was developed quickly.

Even polio had some issues in the early day's of the vaccine.

BristolUK Aug 8th 2020 11:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12894230)
If we don't take the vaccine, there is a very good chance that we won't have to worry about 'long term' anything....

Certainly those of us the wrong side of 37 60 and with other risk factors have much less to lose by taking it.



Originally Posted by printer (Post 12894232)
No one, medically qualified or otherwise is going to come right out and give us a written guarantee that the new vaccine is 100% safe and that there will be no side effects or worse in time to come, how could they it's not been fully developed and tested yet let alone had the required number of years to prove itself.

I'm not sure where but I read something about the urgency and rushing it through in two years instead of the usual ten.

Is it reasonable to think that taking ten years normally is playing doubly safe and then extra safe again to make absolutely certain? Depending on the drug is it possible that they know early on in research that some have a greater risk of side effect or a more serious side effect?

Perhaps it might also be the case that 2 years instead of 10 isn't that they've only done a fifth of the testing they normally do, but that they do it much more quickly. Obviously this would still have some risks, but doing it in a fifth of the time doesn't mean it's five times as risky. Especially as they're not coming into it totally blind. It's believed there were already some advances from the work done on vaccines relating to SARS and MERS a few years ago.

I imagine if you live somewhere like NB you won't need to rush into it but if people around you are dropping like flies you may feel differently.

Siouxie Aug 9th 2020 1:12 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
I'm not really interested in a vaccine - but I am interested in a proven treatment for those that catch it, one that works to alleviate symptoms and reduces the likelihood of it being terminal.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 9th 2020 1:16 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12894291)
I'm not really interested in a vaccine - but I am interested in a proven treatment for those that catch it, one that works to alleviate symptoms and reduces the likelihood of it being terminal.


If only it would mutate to be more mild like it's cousins in the corona family who already infect us, and maybe it will, that would be best overall since there will never be 100% of the population who will get a vaccine anyhow.

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12894295)
If only it would mutate to be more mild like it's cousins in the corona family who already infect us, and maybe it will, that would be best overall since there will never be 100% of the population who will get a vaccine anyhow.

You don't need 100% to largely eliminate the disease - IIRC somewhere around 90%-95% is enough to make a disease extremely rare even among those who have not been vaccinated. It is only in recent years as more people have stopped having their children vaccinated against measels, I think in some areas of the US dropping below 90%, that that disease has started to resurface in those areas. It is still widespread in Africa and Asia.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 10th 2020 11:32 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
131 cases since Friday in BC.
50 new cases recorded from Friday to Saturday
37 between Saturday and Sunday
44 between Sunday and Monday
445 active cases
Hospitalizations 9 with 3 in ICU, hospitalizations is down 2 and ICU down 1 from Friday.
No deaths for 10 days now.

2 new outbreaks in health care facilities, both in Fraser Health

Dr. Henry say's we need to work collectively to stop these exposures from happening.


printer Aug 11th 2020 1:28 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12895051)
131 cases since Friday in BC.
50 new cases recorded from Friday to Saturday
37 between Saturday and Sunday
44 between Sunday and Monday
445 active cases
Hospitalizations 9 with 3 in ICU, hospitalizations is down 2 and ICU down 1 from Friday.
No deaths for 10 days now.

2 new outbreaks in health care facilities, both in Fraser Health

Dr. Henry say's we need to work collectively to stop these exposures from happening.

Isn't it interesting though that although we are still seeing more cases and some spikes in areas the deaths have stopped and even before that we were only recording one or two here and there. What interests me even more even though i don't live there is that the UK death count is also very low compared to back when we were seeing figures of up to 1000 a day! So even though things are opening up then and spikes are happening and we are seeing mass sun seeker events at all south coast beaches we are still only seeing deaths down to single figures. Are we getting a better understanding and treating those that fall ill more quickly? are those falling ill now younger and are more capable of fighting it off? or are we seeing it become less violent?

Pulaski Aug 11th 2020 3:13 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12895081)
...... Are we getting a better understanding and treating those that fall ill more quickly? ...

Treatment protocols have changed, it was reported back in June by hospitals in the UK that the use of Dexamethasone, a steroid, was greatly improving outcomes i.e. they are less likely to die, for those hospitalized and in the most serious condition, needing ventilation and an ICU bed,

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 11th 2020 10:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
BC students will be getting a bit longer of a break and not returning to school on September 8th as planned, no word on how long the delay will be though.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/08...ll-be-delayed/

Stumpylegs Aug 11th 2020 10:41 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12895081)
Are we getting a better understanding and treating those that fall ill more quickly? are those falling ill now younger and are more capable of fighting it off? or are we seeing it become less violent?

In my opinion partly the first one, coupled with the fact that those most vulnerable generally or to this specific virus have been picked off.

My take on it in the UK its so widespread most people have been exposed to it, whilst not everyone of those people has caught it, those most susceptible to it have.

There is also the evidence that the quantity of the virus you are infected with has a direct link to how serious it becomes (whether that's on a level similar to toxicity, or more how long it takes to multiply to a dangerous level whilst your body fights it) with mask wearing, increased social distancing and the fact folk now actively move away when someone coughs nearby - its also probable that any transmission of covid is in lesser quantities than it previously was.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2020 1:12 am

Re: Coronavirus
 
46 new cases since yesterday in BC.



Nand Aug 12th 2020 9:25 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12895487)
BC students will be getting a bit longer of a break and not returning to school on September 8th as planned, no word on how long the delay will be though.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/08...ll-be-delayed/

That is the smart approach. Pushing the kids back to school has not helped in France. Our cases have doubled in the last few days. Who knows if its students or tourists spreading it. Whatever it is, it's human contagion and as long as humans are mixing and in close invironments the Pandemic gets fed.

I think a year out of school is better than deadness spread.

Pulaski Aug 12th 2020 6:10 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12895636)
That is the smart approach. .....

I am inclined to agree. When some schools have committed to going back to in-person schooling, it definitely makes 100% sense to hold off for at least a few weeks, to see how other schools are faring, and learn from their experience and mistakes.

Personally, despite the quite frankly, bizarrely over-enthuiastic bravado of Boris Johnson in the past few days, I am expecting that at least some of the school districts that are now "reopening" with a fanfare, will be "re-shutting down again" within a few weeks. :(

Jerseygirl Aug 12th 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12895906)
I am inclined to agree. When some schools have committed to going back to in-person schooling, it definitely makes 100% sense to hold off for at least a few weeks, to see how other schools are faring, and learn from their experience and mistakes.

Personally, despite the quite frankly, bizarrely over-enthuiastic bravado of Boris Johnson in the past few days, I am expecting that at least some of the school districts that are now "reopening" with a fanfare, will be "re-shutting down again" within a few weeks. :(

My granddaughter will be in Grade 1, starting back after Labour Day. 4 days per week...1 day e-learning at home. 7 to 10 kids per room. Staggered drop off and pick up. No after or before school care. Kids are dropped off outside the school, preferably from the car.

Pulaski Aug 12th 2020 6:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12895916)
My granddaughter will be in Grade 1, starting back after Labour Day. 4 days per week...1 day e-learning at home. 7 to 10 kids per room. Staggered drop off and pick up. No after or before school care. Kids are dropped off outside the school, preferably from the car.

:fingerscrossed: I hope it works out OK, but I am sceptical that enforcing SD and hygiene rules on children of that age will be any easier than herding cats. :unsure:

Jerseygirl Aug 12th 2020 7:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12895923)
:fingerscrossed: I hope it works out OK, but I am sceptical that enforcing SD and hygiene rules on children of that age will be any easier than herding cats. :unsure:

Agreed. :nod:

Nand Aug 12th 2020 7:29 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12895945)
Agreed. :nod:

Its completly daft. Is it possible none of the people that advised these measures of back to school have watched 6 year old children for more than five minutes to see what all they can get up to?πŸ‘«πŸ‘­πŸ‘¬πŸ˜€πŸ˜›πŸ’πŸ˜₯

Pulaski Aug 12th 2020 8:01 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12895952)
Its completly daft. Is it possible none of the people that advised these measures of back to school have watched 6 year old children for more than five minutes to see what all they can get up to? ....

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with concern for children and their schooling, it is all about releasing parents from having to look after their children so that they can return to work. At least the Swedes have been honest and open about that from the start!

Stumpylegs Aug 12th 2020 8:13 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12895965)
Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with concern for children and their schooling, it is all about releasing parents from having to look after their children so that they can return to work.

Truth.

In other truth related news, as the UK passes the 1000 case a day mark again - our total deaths have just been reduced by 5000!!

Logic is somewhat flawed in calculating it once more.starting to think figures are little more than a random number generator!

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2020 9:58 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
BC is going to hire 500 health care workers to work as contact tracers, temporary positions to run September to March for now.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ovid-1.5683456

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2020 10:24 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
Reminder Wal-Mart requires masks now, and if these folks interviewed in Kelowna are any indication, I'd hate to be an employee there today, assuming they are enforcing it. Maybe it's why Super Store was so busy today, they don't require masks.


Danny B Aug 12th 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12896017)
Reminder Wal-Mart requires masks now, and if these folks interviewed in Kelowna are any indication, I'd hate to be an employee there today, assuming they are enforcing it. Maybe it's why Super Store was so busy today, they don't require masks.

Karen spoke to the Manager...what a surprise.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0a07095652.jpg

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2020 10:56 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12896031)
Karen spoke to the Manager...what a surprise.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0a07095652.jpg


The Karen's always talk to the manager, always, its their thing. :rofl:

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2020 11:47 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12895487)
BC students will be getting a bit longer of a break and not returning to school on September 8th as planned, no word on how long the delay will be though.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/08...ll-be-delayed/

Well today the government announced September 10th, so a whopping 2 day delay.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...t-10-1.5683534

"B.C. Education Minister Rob Fleming has announced a gradual restart of classes in September, with students expected back in the classroom by Sept. 10."


scrubbedexpat091 Aug 12th 2020 11:51 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 
85 new cases since yesterday.
Highest since April 25
3rd highest single day total since this all began.

1 death at a long term care home.

almost 2,000 people self isolating due to possible exposure.

8 in hospital, 5 in ICU

531 active cases

Global News

caretaker Aug 12th 2020 11:52 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12896003)
BC is going to hire 500 health care workers to work as contact tracers, temporary positions to run September to March for now.

I wonder if there's any way to get on the inside track for that job. Once it's in the paper there could be 15,000+ applicants for 500 jobs.

BristolUK Aug 13th 2020 12:35 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 13th 2020 3:19 am

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12896061)
I wonder if there's any way to get on the inside track for that job. Once it's in the paper there could be 15,000+ applicants for 500 jobs.

Good question. Looks like the public health authorities will be the ones hiring, but they didn't give any details on how they plan to hire.

Tides might be turning in BC, if the cases keep going up day to day.

Breakdown by health authority, most cases are in Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal.

1,273 (+41) cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region

2,203 (+36) cases in the Fraser Health region

150 (+2) cases in the Island Health region

394 (+1) cases in the Interior Health region

104 (+4) cases in the Northern Health region

72 (+1) cases of people who reside outside of Canada.





Danny B Aug 13th 2020 3:15 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12896146)
Tides might be turning in BC, if the cases keep going up day to day.

Don't let the media scare you with case numbers. Remember that for 99% of those new cases, the infected people have very mild symtoms and recover OK at home.
Keep your eye on the admitted to ICU and death numbers.


Siouxie Aug 13th 2020 4:36 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12896339)
Don't let the media scare you with case numbers. Remember that for 99% of those new cases, the infected people have very mild symtoms and recover OK at home.
Keep your eye on the admitted to ICU and death numbers.

All the stats for BC on one website (official) - https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded
8 currently in hospital - 5 in ICU


BristolUK Aug 13th 2020 4:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12896339)
Don't let the media scare you with case numbers. Remember that for 99% of those new cases, the infected people have very mild symtoms and recover OK at home.
Keep your eye on the admitted to ICU and death numbers.

Remembering, of course, and all things being equal, that the higher the number of new cases, the potentially higher numbers of ICU admissions and deaths.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 13th 2020 4:55 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12896339)
Don't let the media scare you with case numbers. Remember that for 99% of those new cases, the infected people have very mild symtoms and recover OK at home.
Keep your eye on the admitted to ICU and death numbers.

It's mostly the unknown, would I be one of the 99% or one of the ones who die. My wife has pre-existing conditions that put her in the high risk category, and I have history of pneumonia and bronchitis, so I am not sure which way we would go to be honest.


Pulaski Aug 13th 2020 9:00 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12896339)
Don't let the media scare you with case numbers. Remember that for 99% of those new cases, the infected people have very mild symtoms and recover OK at home.
Keep your eye on the admitted to ICU and death numbers.

Do you have any basis for the mythical "99% have mild symptoms" assertion? In the US about 10% are hospitalized and a little over 3% die. Of course it is well known that mortality is skewed heavily towards the elderly, those with pre-existing conditions, and ethnic minorities. So it's OK for everyone else to be blasΓ© about the whole thing and not worry if they are spreading the disease to others in the community. :rofl:

Then there is the "problem" that some people don't seem to experience any symptoms and don't get tested, unless sampled randomly or required to, for example if requiring other health services

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 13th 2020 9:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12896433)
Do you have any basis for the mythical "99% have mild symptoms" assertion? In the US about 10% are hospitalized and a little over 3% die. Of course it is well known that mortality is skewed heavily towards the elderly, those with pre-existing conditions, and ethnic minorities.

Then there is the "problem" that some people don't seem to experience any symptoms and don't get tested, unless sampled randomly or required to, for example if requiring other health services

Someone with better math skills would need to do the math for BC but here is the total numbers as of yesterday

Total Cases- 4,196
Deaths- 196
Hospitalizations- 551

293,127 tests conducted

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded


Pulaski Aug 13th 2020 9:36 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12896438)
Someone with better math skills would need to do the math for BC but here is the total numbers as of yesterday

Total Cases- 4,196
Deaths- 196
Hospitalizations- 551 ....

If total cases is 4,196, then 1% is 42 cases, and 196/ 42 is almost 5%. .... So based on another assertion above, apparently 4% of Canadians who get coronavirus drop dead having only experienced mild symptoms, :blink: and 12% (551/42 - 1%) are hospitalized after experiencing only mild symptoms. :confused: I suspect that someone's sincere assertion might be a little off. :unsure:

BristolUK Aug 13th 2020 9:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12896438)
Someone with better math skills would need to do the math for BC but here is the total numbers as of yesterday

Total Cases- 4,196
Deaths- 196
Hospitalizations- 551

293,127 tests conducted

So assuming all the deaths were in hospital that's 551 hospitalisations out of known cases of 4196.
13% serious enough to be in hospital.


Danny B Aug 13th 2020 11:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12896433)
Do you have any basis for the mythical "99% have mild symptoms" assertion?

I was referring to people within jsmith's age group as per https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-patients.html
Mild symptoms as in you feel like shit for a week and don't need a trip to ICU.

Age is a strong risk factor for severe illness, complications, and death.[size=8333px] [/size]Among >44,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in China, the case fatality rate was highest among older persons:
β‰₯80 years, 14.8%;
70–79 years, 8.0%;
60–69 years, 3.6%;
50–59 years, 1.3%;
40–49 years, 0.4%;
<40 years, 0.2%.


In early U.S. epidemiologic data, case fatality was highest in persons aged β‰₯85 years (range 10%–27%), followed by those aged 65-84 years (3%–11%), aged 55-64 years (1%–3%), and aged <55 years (<1%).



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:26 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.