British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

printer May 27th 2021 2:42 am

Re: Coronavirus

Hey yup lets keep them Yorkshire folk out of Canada it could be worse then the Indian variant. :p
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ouble-24192116

scrubbedexpat099 May 27th 2021 2:46 am

For the little it is worth everything seems to have opened up here, sounds like Canada is maybe 3 or 4 months behind?

BristolUK May 27th 2021 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13010967)
For the little it is worth everything seems to have opened up here, sounds like Canada is maybe 3 or 4 months behind?

Nah...I doubt very much that Canada's covid deaths will ever catch up with America's.

JamesM May 28th 2021 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13010415)
They are the silent spreaders....

They’re definitely spreaders but now they are saying that there is a chunk of over 80’s missed in Toronto who surprise surprise couldn’t get to vaccination centres.

scilly May 28th 2021 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13010967)

Not Washington State ...... they've been going through the 4th wave, and resorting to offering free gifts if people will come and get vaccinated!

Jerseygirl May 29th 2021 4:49 pm

Now they are saying the AZ vaccine which was due to expire on Monday, will be OK until the end of July. :rolleyes:

BristolUK May 29th 2021 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13011931)
Now they are saying the AZ vaccine which was due to expire on Monday, will be OK until the end of July. :rolleyes:

Well that was a lucky break wasn't it? :lol:

Health Canada extends expiry dates for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines set to expire Monday

The Ontario government said Saturday that lots of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine that were set to expire on May 31 can now be used past their original expiry date following authorization by Health Canada.

“Health Canada has issued an authorization to extend the expiry date of specific lots of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine from six months to seven months, following the review of submitted stability data,” said Alexandra Hilkene, press secretary to the minister of health.
Hilkene said vaccines which were set to expire May 31 can now be used until July 1.

Jerseygirl May 29th 2021 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13011934)

Hubby said they would say that and they did. I am going to ask to see the expiry date when I get my 2nd shot,

vinegarboy May 29th 2021 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13011945)
Hubby said they would say that and they did. I am going to ask to see the expiry date when I get my 2nd shot,

Meanwhile, here inside a federal DQF, we detainees are being served expired foodstuffs, and are being told by officials of the PHAC & by the Canadian Red Cross that the "best-before" date isn't the same as an expiry date, and so we have no choice but to eat what we've been given in here. So perhaps vaccines also have such BB dates...?

scrubbedexpat091 May 29th 2021 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13011951)
Meanwhile, here inside a federal DQF, we detainees are being served expired foodstuffs, and are being told by officials of the PHAC & by the Canadian Red Cross that the "best-before" date isn't the same as an expiry date, and so we have no choice but to eat what we've been given in here. So perhaps vaccines also have such BB dates...?

You would think the federal government could provide properly fresh food. Even my local food bank doesn't dole out food past its best by date.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13011945)

No expired vaccine for me please.

vinegarboy May 29th 2021 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13011954)
You would think the federal government could provide properly fresh food. Even my local food bank doesn't dole out food past its best by date.

No expired vaccine for me please.

The feds have actually sub-contracted their DQF catering requirements here to a private company which provides us with "halal" food (koranically blessed?), & they're apparently quite within health-safety-food regulations to save $$$ by serving beyond-best-before dated food to detainees here. And the Red Cross (who manage this site remotely) have asked us to be "understanding" of the realities inside the DQF.

caretaker May 29th 2021 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13011968)
The feds have actually sub-contracted their DQF catering requirements here to a private company which provides us with "halal" food (koranically blessed?), & they're apparently quite within health-safety-food regulations to save $$$ by serving beyond-best-before dated food to detainees here. And the Red Cross (who manage this site remotely) have asked us to be "understanding" of the realities inside the DQF.

Where is this, in a hotel or something? I know someone who owns one of, if not the best camp catering companies around out of Calgary and he'd probably jump at the chance to bid on a contract in the south.

vinegarboy May 29th 2021 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13011972)
Where is this, in a hotel or something? I know someone who owns one of, if not the best camp catering companies around out of Calgary and he'd probably jump at the chance to bid on a contract in the south.

The feds advertise all of these kinds of contracts on their 'BuyAndSell' website. Northern-style remote-location jobsite type catering would suit beer-&-ketchup boys like me far better than halal, haha.

caretaker May 29th 2021 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13011986)
The feds advertise all of these kinds of contracts on their 'BuyAndSell' website. Northern-style remote-location jobsite type catering would suit beer-&-ketchup boys like me far better than halal, haha.

Nothing special about Halal meat, like Kosher butchery there are some protocols and a little blessing. I buy it when it's half price.

vinegarboy May 29th 2021 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13011989)
Nothing special about Halal meat, like Kosher butchery there are some protocols and a little blessing. I buy it when it's half price.

Fully understandable economically / household budgetarily; I'd just prefer not to have to have somebody else's religion go down my throat while I'm in Canadian federal custody is all. Almost as interestingly, there's no Gideons Bible in here.

bats May 30th 2021 2:45 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13011989)

As you say halal and kosher meat is from animals that are ritually slaughtered. That means they must be conscious when they are hung upside down and their throats cut.

vinegarboy May 30th 2021 6:12 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13012076)
As you say halal and kosher meat is from animals that are ritually slaughtered. That means they must be conscious when they are hung upside down and their throats cut.

My God, how unkind & barbaric.

old.sparkles May 30th 2021 7:54 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13012076)

Not true - they must be alive. Most stunning does not kill the animal, so most halal is stunned before slaughter.

old.sparkles May 30th 2021 7:55 am

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13012095)
My God, how unkind & barbaric.

All slaughter houses are unkind and barbaric in my opinion.

caretaker May 30th 2021 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13011990)
Almost as interestingly, there's no Gideons Bible in here.

Small mercies. To be in solidarity with you and the rest in lock-up I've just purchased a couple of big club packs of Halal chicken thighs and wings nearing their expiration date. I'll drag the smoker up from the basement and start checking smoked wing recipes. Looking forward to the full quarantine experience.

vinegarboy May 30th 2021 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13012163)
Small mercies. To be in solidarity with you and the rest in lock-up I've just purchased a couple of big club packs of Halal chicken thighs and wings nearing their expiration date. I'll drag the smoker up from the basement and start checking smoked wing recipes. Looking forward to the full quarantine experience.

Haha, I love it, and I do cordially welcome you to the full 'DQF Experience,' brought to you today by the reigning Triumvirate of Incompetence & Inadequacy: Trudeau-Hajdu-Tam.

A few beginning pointers for new inmates:

(1.) They serve hot-breakfast to internees in here at 0800hrs, & then their 'nurse' requires your oral temp be taken ~15mins later; so the smart money in here waits to eat/drink anything hot until after the morning temp reading's been taken, otherwise one risks being made to re-start one's 14d incarceration. So one has to learn to enjoy cold porridge, and to forgo coffee/tea until after the morning oral temp-reading hurdle's been cleared.

(2.) Smell any & all food served before eating it, as the Canadian Red Cross has said that they're totally fine with detainees being served foodstuffs that are past their Best Before dates, and apparently it makes no difference to them how long any past-BB dairy's been in the bag at room temp before being brought to one. (Btw, you'll never actually see a Red Cross person here in-the-flesh, because they only interact with internees remotely by phone/www.)

(3.) Whenever one hears another inmate shouting/screaming or hitting their doors/walls in apparent anger/frustration, be ready to call Security (DQF security requirements are currently being provided by "GardaWorld," which is actually the same Canadian security company that's had the federal security contract for our consular security in Kabul).

So just a few pointers there to get you started on your new Experience, haha.

Revin Kevin May 30th 2021 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13012181)
Haha, I love it, and I do cordially welcome you to the full 'DQF Experience,' brought to you today by the reigning Triumvirate of Incompetence & Inadequacy: Trudeau-Hajdu-Tam.

A few beginning pointers for new inmates:

(1.) They serve hot-breakfast to internees in here at 0800hrs, & then their 'nurse' requires your oral temp be taken ~15mins later; so the smart money in here waits to eat/drink anything hot until after the morning temp reading's been taken, otherwise one risks being made to re-start one's 14d incarceration. So one has to learn to enjoy cold porridge, and to forgo coffee/tea until after the morning oral temp-reading hurdle's been cleared.

(2.) Smell any & all food served before eating it, as the Canadian Red Cross has said that they're totally fine with detainees being served foodstuffs that are past their Best Before dates, and apparently it makes no difference to them how long any past-BB dairy's been in the bag at room temp before being brought to one. (Btw, you'll never actually see a Red Cross person here in-the-flesh, because they only interact with internees remotely by phone/www.)

(3.) Whenever one hears another inmate shouting/screaming or hitting their doors/walls in apparent anger/frustration, be ready to call Security (DQF security requirements are currently being provided by "GardaWorld," which is actually the same Canadian security company that's had the federal security contract for our consular security in Kabul).

So just a few pointers there to get you started on your new Experience, haha.

I suppose the idea is to make the whole experience fairly unpleasant to discourage some of those who would maybe choose it over paying for an Airbnb themselves.

caretaker May 30th 2021 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13012195)
I suppose the idea is to make the whole experience fairly unpleasant to discourage some of those who would maybe choose it over paying for an Airbnb themselves.

When Wayne and Schuster did their parody of Bridge on the River Kwai (Kwai Me a River), after a week in the hot box Johnny came out looking totally refreshed, and remarked "You pay a hundred dollars a night for a room like that at Expo!"

vinegarboy May 30th 2021 4:04 pm

Yes indeed, it's certainly a far-from-pleasant Experience of Canadian federal governmental exemplary vindictiveness, retributiveness, & fraternal unkindness to inflict such conditions upon those who've lost their jobs in the past year, who haven't yet received their federal tax refunds for 2020, and who've spent the winter with friends south of the border where they were able to achieve fully-vaccinated status as overwintering guests down in the U.S., thereby to fortuitously have freed-up two domestic Canadian vaccine doses for one's compatriots. (Don't mention it, you're most welcome, & simply glad to have been of service.) And there's really nothing quite like hearing from a self-righteous & indignant brother taxpayer, haha.

Will_PA May 30th 2021 7:57 pm

I don’t understand why fully vaccinated people should have to quarantine. We will never get out of lockdown in this case. Double vaccine is as good as it gets, that’s the new best case scenario.

Would love my parents to meet their grandchild for the first time, but can’t put them through the risk of this.

BristolUK May 30th 2021 8:32 pm

Short, sharp shock. © Conservative Party Manifesto 1979 :lol:

BristolUK May 30th 2021 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Will_PA (Post 13012249)
I don’t understand why fully vaccinated people should have to quarantine.

Because they can still pass it on to people not yet vaccinated.

We will never get out of lockdown in this case. Double vaccine is as good as it gets, that’s the new best case scenario.
It changes as more people get vaccinated.

caretaker May 30th 2021 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13012199)
Yes indeed, it's certainly a far-from-pleasant Experience of Canadian federal governmental exemplary vindictiveness, retributiveness, & fraternal unkindness

Try a pile of these Wings Quarantine and a few cold lager and try filling out that form again. :rofl:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b4fd93428a.jpg

Jerseygirl May 30th 2021 10:44 pm

Sorry Mr C but I can’t understand why anyone eats wings….fat, gristle, skin, bone and a tiny amount of meat.

bats May 30th 2021 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13012286)
Sorry Mr C but I can’t understand why anyone eats wings….fat, gristle, skin, bone and a tiny amount of meat.

Oh I so agree! Disgusting nuggets of anatomy..

not2old May 30th 2021 11:30 pm

I agree with Mr.C that chicken wings are the best go-to messy finger food, the hotter the better.

could it be that chicken wings are strictly a man thing?

vinegarboy May 31st 2021 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Will_PA (Post 13012249)
I don’t understand why fully vaccinated people should have to quarantine. We will never get out of lockdown in this case. Double vaccine is as good as it gets, that’s the new best case scenario.

Would love my parents to meet their grandchild for the first time, but can’t put them through the risk of this.

Neither the border guards (CBSA) nor the pubic health folk (PHAC) could've cared less about the border-crosser's vaccination status when I crossed back into Canada 11d ago. And they only cursorily looked at my espensive pre-arrival PCR result, so now I wish that I'd just done the cheaper quickie test instead. (I was double-Pfizered back in April, for free, with the shots being 3wks apart.)

vinegarboy May 31st 2021 12:12 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13012276)
Try a pile of these Wings Quarantine and a few cold lager and try filling out that form again. :rofl:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b4fd93428a.jpg

Would happily try thy 'Wings Quarantine,' but if we're caught drinking in here we get charged for possessing contraband inside a federal facility.

caretaker May 31st 2021 12:15 am

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13012307)
Would happily try thy 'Wings Quarantine,' but if we're caught drinking in here we get charged for possessing contraband.

My antics would be out of the question then. :thumbs_down:

bats May 31st 2021 12:17 am

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13012307)
Would happily try thy 'Wings Quarantine,' but if we're caught drinking in here we get charged for possessing contraband inside a federal facility.

Whaaat!

what would happen if you just said " sod it I'm going home"?

vinegarboy May 31st 2021 12:30 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13012309)
Whaaat!

what would happen if you just said " sod it I'm going home"?

If we leave early, sans the official release paper from PHAC on Day 15, then we can be charged for violating the federal Quarantine Act. So although I'm in Canada, I'm actually still under federal jurisdiction (just as at the border station), not provincial. I'm trying real hard to be a good boy right now, because I want my release paperwork sans any snafus. After that, I'll be able to be even more forthcoming, whilst giving a one-fingered salute to the Triumvirate on my way out of this shyte-hole, haha.

bats May 31st 2021 12:43 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13012106)
Not true - they must be alive. Most stunning does not kill the animal, so most halal is stunned before slaughter.

Not in Canada. I've read that some places stun after throat cutting to alleviate suffering. Animal welfare isn't too great generally.

bats May 31st 2021 12:45 am

Originally Posted by vinegarboy (Post 13012310)
If we leave early, sans the official release paper from PHAC on Day 15, then we can be charged for violating the federal Quarantine Act. So although I'm in Canada, I'm actually still under federal jurisdiction (just as at the border station), not provincial. I'm trying real hard to be a good boy right now, because I want my release paperwork sans any snafus. After that, I'll be able to be even more forthcoming, whilst giving a one-fingered salute to the Triumvirate on my way out of this shyte-hole, haha.

Cruel and unusual punishment.

BristolUK May 31st 2021 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13012286)

This brand and flavour (forget the sauce) might just change your mind

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...53895d05ed.jpg

vinegarboy May 31st 2021 12:49 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 13012313)
Cruel and unusual punishment.

To be handsomely repaid at the ballot box, have no fear.