British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Revin Kevin Jul 17th 2021 6:23 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 13030434)
The UK Health Secretary has got Covid despite being double jabbed since May 16, does not give one much faith in the efficacy of the vaccines.

It is a surprise and certainly very bad PR for the health secretary but to be fair the vaccine has never claimed it prevents you catching covid.

caretaker Jul 17th 2021 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13030437)
It is a surprise and certainly very bad PR for the health secretary but to be fair the vaccine has never claimed it prevents you catching covid.

I wonder if they'll say which variant he has, and it remains to be seen how sick he gets. If something new takes off que sera, sera, (pardon my French).

BristolUK Jul 17th 2021 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13030403)
What the heck is going on with new infections in England right now? 50k per day for the past two days. Can’t all be related to people watching the footy can it?

Shortly after Scotland played at Wembley there was a rise in cases in Scotland with two-thirds linked to travel to London that day. :ohmy:

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13030431)
The virus is so imbedded in the population and testing is so widespread this is no surprise .

I keep hearing of this widespread testing, people being encouraged to test regularly, symptoms or not.
Of the six households of people I have remained in touch with in the UK - 16 adults - only two people have had tests, one because he's part of a study and tests weekly and his wife after their live-away son returned home with covid.

I make no claims that they are representative but only 2 from 16 having had tests makes me think that everyone being recommended for regular testing doesn't necessarily translate to everyone being tested.

The good news is that the increase is not being replicated in hospitalisations or deaths.
Not proportionately, no. But that's not much of a comfort to the 20-30 more people dying daily than a month ago.

And then there are the potential variants that are likely to develop from the spread.

Revin Kevin Jul 17th 2021 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13030445)
Shortly after Scotland played at Wembley there was a rise in cases in Scotland with two-thirds linked to travel to London that day. :ohmy:

I keep hearing of this widespread testing, people being encouraged to test regularly, symptoms or not.
Of the six households of people I have remained in touch with in the UK - 16 adults - only two people have had tests, one because he's part of a study and tests weekly and his wife after their live-away son returned home with covid.

I make no claims that they are representative but only 2 from 16 having had tests makes me think that everyone being recommended for regular testing doesn't necessarily translate to everyone being tested.

All the adults in our household - currently numbering six, have each been tested several times over, myself included. I don't know if your example
is more representative of the UK situation or not but in my experience and as I said previously widespread testing in the UK is a fact.

Danny B Jul 17th 2021 8:46 pm

I received my second Pfizer jab on Thursday and I was sick as a dog the day after. Serious case of 'man flu'.
Zero energy, zero appetite, felt cold but had a temperature. Fast forward to today, feeling 100% again now.

BristolUK Jul 17th 2021 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13030466)
...asI said previously widespread testing in the UK is a fact.

I suppose it depends on what one considers widespread and whether the tests are people tested or include repeats.

I see from https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing that it's hitting a million a day. What's that about 1 person in 60 each day. If it's everyone once that takes about two months to get around everyone

All the adults in our household - currently numbering six, have each been tested several times over, myself included.
Well that would make sense if it was symptom or potential exposure related as everyone should get tested. If it's simply part of keeping tabs on things then your six are having my 14's share ;)

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 17th 2021 9:41 pm

How are the deaths/hospitalization numbers?

We wont eradicate it at this point, if the vaccines keep people from ending up in hospital and prevents deaths, than the vaccines are doing their job.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 17th 2021 9:50 pm

The US is seeing increase in cases in just about every state, Los Angeles County is bringing back mask mandate due to increasing cases there. 1,500 new cases were reported in Los Angeles on Thursday, in mid June they hit a low of 210 cases in a day, and its steadily increased since then.

Breakthrough cases in the US are also climbing.

Canada has a higher % vaccinated, so maybe we wont follow the same trend as the US.

BristolUK Jul 17th 2021 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13030484)
How are the deaths/hospitalization numbers?

Low compared to previously but increasing.

We wont eradicate it at this point, if the vaccines keep people from ending up in hospital and prevents deaths, than the vaccines are doing their job.
They certainly are and it's much earlier than we all expected.
But the Delta is rampant in the UK, doubling every two weeks, with new infections expected to hit 100,000 daily in August when it was only a few thousand a few weeks ago.
The Beta variant doesn't spread as quickly as Delta but is thought to be more resistant to the vaccines.

The problem with Delta spreading so quickly is the potential for other variants developing more quickly, just as Delta and Beta themselves appeared.

Danny B Jul 17th 2021 10:44 pm

Canada has finally caught up to the US after a slow start

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57869947

Former Lancastrian Jul 21st 2021 12:51 am

So it appears a segment of society who don't want to be vaccinated and believe God will save them or it's God's will are now leaving Southern Manitoba and heading towards Mexico and other South American countries like Paraguay and Bolivia.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...574868352.html

Can you leave your Canadian passports at the border and inform the CRA that you will no longer be claiming your GST rebates, child allowance and any other benefit you claim.

Danny B Jul 22nd 2021 7:06 pm

This reminds me of March 2020 all over again.

Jerseygirl Jul 26th 2021 8:27 pm

Ontario asks Ottawa to work with WHO to recognize ‘mix and match vaccines for international travel.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-as...road-1.5523623

Quebec is offering a 3rd dose of a mRNA vaccine to those who have had 2 doses of AZ vaccine.

https://www.cp24.com/news/quebec-off...avel-1.5523641

caretaker Jul 27th 2021 6:31 pm

Along with the physical symptoms of long covid, there's a pronounced dumbing down we hadn't been told about.
"The level of underperformance was also dependent on the severity of illness in the group who had COVID-19 during the pandemic. The study said those who had been placed on a ventilator during the pandemic exhibited the greatest cognitive deficits, so much so that it equated to a seven-point drop in IQ in a classic intelligence test."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...arch-1.5524877

Danny B Jul 27th 2021 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 13034094)
Along with the physical symptoms of long covid, there's a pronounced dumbing down we hadn't been told about.
"The level of underperformance was also dependent on the severity of illness in the group who had COVID-19 during the pandemic. The study said those who had been placed on a ventilator during the pandemic exhibited the greatest cognitive deficits, so much so that it equated to a seven-point drop in IQ in a classic intelligence test."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...arch-1.5524877

Wasn't Boris on a ventilator for a few days?

Cheltonian Jul 28th 2021 6:42 pm

Canada not among countries exempt from quarantine for travel into England and Scotland | CBC News
Strange decision, could be due to the spiraling number of cases in Alberta.

Former Lancastrian Jul 28th 2021 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 13034475)
Canada not among countries exempt from quarantine for travel into England and Scotland | CBC News
Strange decision, could be due to the spiraling number of cases in Alberta.

Compared to the number of cases in Florida, California and others I would say Alberta is doing pretty good.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 28th 2021 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 13034501)
Compared to the number of cases in Florida, California and others I would say Alberta is doing pretty good.

At one point California got really low case wise, with several provinces higher in our spring wave which was later than theirs and they had more vaccinated than we did at the time.

Can't really compare California to just a single province due to vast population differences, California has slightly more people than all of Canada, but I think Canada will in the next decade have more people.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 28th 2021 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13034101)
Wasn't Boris on a ventilator for a few days?

However, it seems that the IQ drop was experienced by those, that despite all the evidence to contrary, still ardently support him. Good Old Bozza etc.

scilly Jul 29th 2021 2:21 am

A temporary mask mandate for the next 14 days has been declared for the Central Okanagan, with effect at midnight tonight for all indoor public places. This includes Kelowna, Lake Country and Peachland.

It is because of a Covid-19 outbreak in the area.

It will be followed by further mandates as needed, such as business closures.

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/...d-19-response/

sid nv Jul 29th 2021 3:12 am

It's Mask Back On Again Day here this Friday. That bulk purchase of disposable masks will not be wasted.

printer Jul 29th 2021 4:24 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13034626)
A temporary mask mandate for the next 14 days has been declared for the Central Okanagan, with effect at midnight tonight for all indoor public places. This includes Kelowna, Lake Country and Peachland.

It is because of a Covid-19 outbreak in the area.

It will be followed by further mandates as needed, such as business closures.

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/...d-19-response/

Yeah it seems that they keep moving the goalposts. A while back now some were asking about localized restrictions as certain areas became hotspots but were told a province wide thing was the way to go. Now they seem to have changed their mind. Kelowna is obviously a tourist hotspot and they want people to come and now they are surprised there is an uptick. I've seen a lot of comments from double vaxed people who are a bit miffed at now having to mask up again despite the fact they followed the rules and got vaccinated and of course many who thought they relaxed rules too soon anyway. We could all enjoy a nice beach or park BBQ with friends but due to fires these have now been banned and due to heavy smoke most don't enjoy spending time outdoors anyway. On the plus side there's a 40% chance of showers on Sunday

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 29th 2021 6:48 am

I wonder what the vaccination rate in the Interior is, % wise.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 29th 2021 11:13 am

Do I read right? In Alberta, now if you Covid you don't have to isolate & you're not going to get tested unless you essentially hospitalised with it? That'll go well...

Shard Jul 29th 2021 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13034730)
Do I read right? In Alberta, now if you Covid you don't have to isolate & you're not going to get tested unless you essentially hospitalised with it? That'll go well...

Kind of a "hard herd immunity" strategy if that's the case ?! :unsure:

BristolUK Jul 29th 2021 11:50 am

As someone in today's Moncton newspaper says, Alberta is not a good example to follow.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 29th 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 13034736)
Kind of a "hard herd immunity" strategy if that's the case ?! :unsure:

More of a "Nah, we're done with Covid, if we stop worrying about it, it'll just go away" strategy I think. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ents-1.6121002

"testing will be available to people with symptoms when needed for patient care decisions, although Hinshaw noted those with mild symptoms won't need to be tested."

In Nfld we've been positively encouraged to get a test for the most mild of symptoms. It'll be interesting to see whether that advice changes.

Shard Jul 29th 2021 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13034747)
More of a "Nah, we're done with Covid, if we stop worrying about it, it'll just go away" strategy I think. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ents-1.6121002

"testing will be available to people with symptoms when needed for patient care decisions, although Hinshaw noted those with mild symptoms won't need to be tested."

In Nfld we've been positively encouraged to get a test for the most mild of symptoms. It'll be interesting to see whether that advice changes.

Vaccination rate seems high though 65% / 75% for 12+ (impressive) so the focus is on those with severe symptoms.

Siouxie Jul 29th 2021 2:58 pm

Indeed... isolation will be voluntary.

https://www.alberta.ca/isolation.aspx

Alberta will begin adapting programs and policies in response to COVID-19, bringing the health response in line with influenza and other respiratory viruses.

On August 16, Alberta will lift the legal requirement for 10-day isolation following a positive COVID-19 test, though it will be strongly recommended. Staying home when sick is an important way to care for those around us by not passing on any illnesses.

Danny B Jul 29th 2021 5:39 pm

Good Lord, how lucky are we not having to fork out $18,000 to get a vaccine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-58004253

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 29th 2021 7:05 pm

I want to know why it cost her 18,000 to fly and stay in the US for 3 weeks.

Looking at Expedia, flights are averaging around $1,600

Budge Hotel coming in around $2,700 for a month stay. (3,600 for a mid tier hotel like Spring Hill By Marriott)

Sounds like she flew to California and everyone 12+ is eligible for a COVID vaccine free regardless of immigration status.

$5,200 using a higher price hotel.

The remaining amount breaks down to $426/day which seems a little high for food and other daily needs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-58004253[/QUOTE]

Danny B Jul 29th 2021 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13034952)
I want to know why it cost her 18,000 to fly and stay in the US for 3 weeks.

Looking at Expedia, flights are averaging around $1,600

Budge Hotel coming in around $2,700 for a month stay. (3,600 for a mid tier hotel like Spring Hill By Marriott)

Sounds like she flew to California and everyone 12+ is eligible for a COVID vaccine free regardless of immigration status.

$5,200 using a higher price hotel.

The remaining amount breaks down to $426/day which seems a little high for food and other daily needs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-58004253

[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't take much to blow through $10,000 in San Francisco hotel bills for two weeks. She doesn't look the type to be staying in the tenderloin area :lol:

Shard Jul 29th 2021 11:13 pm

It's very good though, that people can fly in to the US and get vaccinated for free. Especially if there is excess supply in the US. As the Brazillian girl said, each vaccination is helping the world overcome the pandemic.

printer Jul 30th 2021 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 13034747)

I think there comes a point when testing too many for any reason at all seems like an overkill to some. There has been a lot of moaning here about goalposts being shifted. Initially it was all about reducing hospitalizations to manageable levels and reducing deaths of course. So if those figures are in the "not too bad" range the number of positive cases doesn't really matter if vaccinations are on course and most are getting mild symptoms. Today we had 204 cases, no new deaths, 51.in hospital and 20 in ICU that's BC total not Kelowna. I'm pretty sure BC can handle 51 hospital admissions.

scilly Jul 30th 2021 2:13 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 13035048)
I think there comes a point when testing too many for any reason at all seems like an overkill to some. There has been a lot of moaning here about goalposts being shifted. Initially it was all about reducing hospitalizations to manageable levels and reducing deaths of course. So if those figures are in the "not too bad" range the number of positive cases doesn't really matter if vaccinations are on course and most are getting mild symptoms. Today we had 204 cases, no new deaths, 51.in hospital and 20 in ICU that's BC total not Kelowna. I'm pretty sure BC can handle 51 hospital admissions.

107 of the new covid cases are in Interior Health, which as you know includes Central Okanagan, although that still does not tell us how many in Kelowna alone. the next highest count of new cases was 58 in Fraser Health

There are currently 1,055 active cases in BC, and 600 of those are in Interior Health.

There's certainly something wrong in Interior Health!!

The other important figure of note is that during the month June 15-July 15, 78% of the new infections have had neither their 1st or 2nd jabs. The only figure I can connected to that is that most of the people testing positive in the Kelowna area are young people who have had only a first dose of vaccine or are totally unvaccinated.

As far as number of hospital admissions, there is no way to say how many in Interior Health, but if they have over 50% of the new cases, then it might well be that hospital admissions are also close to that, or even higher. Therefore Kelowna and other hospitals in the region are the ones looking at possibly being overwhelmed.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 30th 2021 2:59 am

I couldn't find specifics, but Metro Vancouver is at 80% with at least one dose, but the article then just gives a 50% to 75% with one vaccination for the rest of the province, not sure why they are not reporting more transparently.

Also seems a good chunk are linked to employment, with restaurants, fitness studios, clothes companies, bar employees being hit the hardest.

It's not necessarily anyone doing anything wrong, the province is the one who relaxed the rules and did away with the mask mandate. It is no easy task to convince people they have to wear a mask when the government say's they are optional at least in the Interior.

Danny B Jul 30th 2021 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13035067)
107 of the new covid cases are in Interior Health, which as you know includes Central Okanagan, although that still does not tell us how many in Kelowna alone. the next highest count of new cases was 58 in Fraser Health

There are currently 1,055 active cases in BC, and 600 of those are in Interior Health.

There's certainly something wrong in Interior Health!!

The other important figure of note is that during the month June 15-July 15, 78% of the new infections have had neither their 1st or 2nd jabs. The only figure I can connected to that is that most of the people testing positive in the Kelowna area are young people who have had only a first dose of vaccine or are totally unvaccinated.

As far as number of hospital admissions, there is no way to say how many in Interior Health, but if they have over 50% of the new cases, then it might well be that hospital admissions are also close to that, or even higher. Therefore Kelowna and other hospitals in the region are the ones looking at possibly being overwhelmed.

Interior health is 216,000 sq km serving 3/4 of a million people. I think the above numbers of 0.001% are completely normal. If the people showing up in Hospital are unvaccinated, what can you do? If I was running the country, I'd make life extremely difficult for the anti-vax brigade.

Shard Jul 30th 2021 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 13035280)
Interior health is 216,000 sq km serving 3/4 of a million people. I think the above numbers of 0.001% are completely normal. If the people showing up in Hospital are unvaccinated, what can you do? If I was running the country, I'd make life extremely difficult for the anti-vax brigade.

Self-pay on any Covid related treatment would be a start.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 30th 2021 6:04 pm

Based on a new study, the US CDC is revising it's mask guidance and now recommends even fully vaccinated to wear masks indoors.

"A new study shows the Delta Covid-19 variant produced similar amounts of virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated people if they get infected -- illustrating a key motivation behind the federal guidance that now recommends most fully vaccinated Americans wear masks indoors."

""High viral loads suggest an increased risk of transmission and raised concern that, unlike with other variants, vaccinated people infected with Delta can transmit the virus," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement Friday."

The study describes 469 Massachusetts residents who were infected in a July outbreak in Barnstable County of those About 74% -- or 346 cases -- had been fully vaccinated, with 79% of the fully vaccinated showing symptoms.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/healt...udy/index.html

BristolUK Jul 30th 2021 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13035358)
Based on a new study, the US CDC is revising it's mask guidance and now recommends even fully vaccinated to wear masks indoors.

"A new study shows the Delta Covid-19 variant produced similar amounts of virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated people if they get infected..."

I think it's about time people paid a bit more attention to this. It's all very well saying the unvaccinated will be the ones to suffer so it's their own fault but not all of them have that choice.
We've already seen reports of increasing numbers of younger people being treated for covid than was the case previously and we have one variant that spreads quickly while, fortunately, being mild in its effects and another variant that doesn't spread as quickly but is worse if you get it. So what happens if one comes along that combines the bad parts?

I'm not suggesting we go back into lockdown but with everything opened up and absolutely zero limits on household mixing and not even having to isolate with symptoms, it seems foolhardy not to continue with mask wearing in the kind of places that previously required it and create the potential for further variants by unnecessary spread. At least wait and see the effect of all the mixing.

This is very easy for me to say, of course, as I only need to wear one for medical appointments or shopping and occasionally that might involve two hours by which time I'm feeling unwell. So maybe enable people to take a mask break when needed. I mean, if you can nip outside for a cigarette, you can do it for air.

But my stepdaughter works retail and she'd rather continue it despite the discomfort in her store than be the one who brings the virus or variant home to an at risk stepdad, 83 year old grandmother or her unvaccinated needle-phobic brother. If her immunocompromised mum was still alive, christ knows how she'd feel.