Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:18 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by lansbury
Boys toys. Roy Salvadori and Vanwall those were the days.
Originally Posted by zargof
Back to the days of Fangio. Good stuff.
True racing.

Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Back to the days of Fangio. Good stuff.
And the Auto Unions of the 1930's. Aside from the unfortunate governmental backing, those cars were incredible, and still are, as several have appeared at Goodwood where I have seen them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2014 at 8:37 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yessss. That is nice.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this at Goodwood too, a Maserati 420/M/58.

I was standing 2-3ft from it in the paddock when some little old man in a grey rain coat and a flat cap shuffled up and came and stood directly in front of me, so that I could no longer continue to look at it, and had to move back to give him, and me, more room. I was THAT close to tapping him on the shoulder and asking him who he thought he was. Luckily I realized who he was without having to ask. ..... It was Stirling Moss, who was scheduled to drive it up the hill later in the day!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2014 at 9:01 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And the Auto Unions of the 1930's. Aside from the unfortunate governmental backing, those cars were incredible, and still are, as several have appeared at Goodwood where I have seen them.http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-co...Interest-4.jpg
I saw this at Goodwood too, a Maserati 420/M/58. http://www.finecars.cc/typo3temp/GB/dd84145705.jpg

I was standing 2-3ft from it in the paddock when some little old man in a grey rain coat shuffled up and came and stood directly in front of me, so that I could no longer continue to look at it, and had to move back to give him, and me, more room. I was THAT close to tapping him on the shoulder and asking him who he thought he was. Luckily I realized who he was without having to ask. ..... It was Stirling Moss, who was scheduled to drive it up the hill later in the day!
Excellent pics, and story.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this at Goodwood too, a Maserati 420/M/58. http://www.finecars.cc/typo3temp/GB/dd84145705.jpg

I was standing 2-3ft from it in the paddock when some little old man in a grey rain coat shuffled up and came and stood directly in front of me, so that I could no longer continue to look at it, and had to move back to give him, and me, more room. I was THAT close to tapping him on the shoulder and asking him who he thought he was. Luckily I realized who he was without having to ask. ..... It was Stirling Moss, who was scheduled to drive it up the hill later in the day!
Always liked Sterling Moss and Jackie Stewart.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I want to like F1 today as much as I used to when Senna, Mansell et al were racing but I can't help but think it was just better back then ...
What's Mansell up to these days? I just can't imagine him being retired with his feet up, reading the papers with a pipe out in the countryside...
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Bob
What's Mansell up to these days? I just can't imagine him being retired with his feet up, reading the papers with a pipe out in the countryside...
He's retired with his feet up, reading the papers with a pipe out in the countryside.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What's Mansell up to these days?
Probably on a golf course somewhere.
Apparently, he's also the world wide ambassador for Sun Seeker yachts. Nice work if you can get it.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:55 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
He's done Le Mans a few times, I think. Messed about with touring cars.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:11 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Drove a 06 F-150 ext cab long bed yesterday, a real service truck, trac-lok, 5.4l. Man, pickups are a lot different than they used to be!

Pete
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
.... pickups are a lot different than they used to be!
Yeah, no stick shifts these days, at least not from Ford.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:38 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Probably on a golf course somewhere.
Apparently, he's also the world wide ambassador for Sun Seeker yachts. Nice work if you can get it.
Yeah, I was going to say he's probably on a Sunseeker somewhere...
I think he's an ambassador for them as he's owned quite a few of them over the years. Man they're some lovely boats - used to spend my weekends down in Poole and would see them at their factory there staring at me and teasing me that I'd never be able to afford one.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:17 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I want to like F1 today as much as I used to when Senna, Mansell et al were racing but I can't help but think it was just better back then ...
Agreed. You're in good company - there was an interesting article a few days back with Villeneuve (the younger) saying that he thought F1 wasn't as good as it used to be...

We used to go to a lot of races back in the 80's and early 90's. First ever race was Long Beach in '79, when James Hunt hit a tire wall on the warm up lap right in front of us. Oops. I lost interest when the Schumaker era came in. Sure, he was a quick aggressive driver, lot of talent behind the wheel. Questionable sportsmanship at times. Not so bad in his early years at Benetton, but after he went to Ferrari, I couldn't handle him.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:23 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Man they're some lovely boats - used to spend my weekends down in Poole and would see them at their factory there staring at me and teasing me that I'd never be able to afford one.
Nah, they'd be even better if they had a big pointy thing sticking up in the middle to hang the laundry on.....something more like this....Let's talk about cars-xyachts-x482-a0408377001357126432m.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.