Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 30th 2024, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by MtbbikeVanlife
Ugh - thanks for the flashbacks - Dad had a Herald in the early 70's..... I hated it with a passion.

No chance it's in the Richmond area is it ? I'd like to visit with a crate of eggs !
Just seen this. Don’t knock Heralds. 🤣
I’ll have you know that when I wasn’t scaring traffic in a LWB Series IIa Landy my other first vehicle was a Herald Estate. Easy to change the engines ( I blew up three… 🤣) and handy enough to outrun a spanking new, at the time, Sierra Cosworth in the lanes of Devon. This one had flashing blue lights, all the bells and whistles and probably never lived down the fact that a piece of sh*t Herald outran him . 🤣
Old Jun 30th 2024, 5:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
... my other first vehicle was a Herald Estate. Easy to change the engines ( I blew up three ....) and handy enough to outrun a spanking new, at the time, Sierra Cosworth in the lanes of Devon. .....
Have you considered the possibility that these two things might be connected?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2024 at 6:40 am.
Old Jun 30th 2024, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing these classic cars, here was mine (although a D Reg version), a complete lemon. I kept a brick to hit the starter motor whenever it stuck, gearbox fell apart soon after buying it. Clutch cable would get stuck meaning I could not change gear. Electrics would cut out randomly.
Only good thing was the cornering as it stuck to the road, but ate tires as any bump messed up the alignment. After this I only bought Japanese cars until my current Kia EV6.

Image by Vauxford - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=70562147
Old Jun 30th 2024, 1:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian

Seeing these classic cars, here was mine (although a D Reg version), a complete lemon. I kept a brick to hit the starter motor whenever it stuck, gearbox fell apart soon after buying it. Clutch cable would get stuck meaning I could not change gear. Electrics would cut out randomly. ....
I learned to drive in a Metro, and haven't been in one since the day I passed my test. My first car, bought a couple of years later wasn't really any better - a 1980 Morris Ital estate, that was likely destined to be a continuous source of frustration and repair bills.

Forty-eight days after I bought it, it was parked outside the house where I was living when, looking back I'd say "fortuitously", some kid driving his mother's Renault 5 slammed into the back of it so hard he moved it 10ft down the road, sideways up a 6" curb, and bent the floor pan.

It was immediately obvious that my car was totalled, but the front of the Renault 5 was destroyed! And I have no idea how the driver walked away from the accident.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 30th 2024 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2024, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you considered the possibility that these two things might be connected?
The thought might have occurred to me, the only vehicle I've had since that managed to move faster was an Audi A6 with a slightly 'modified' engine. Come to think of it, that's the only other car I've managed to wreck the engine on.

I'm also in that select group that had the misfortune to own a Metro for a short while, definitely must rank as the worst vehicle to grace UK roads in the 80's.

Last edited by zzrmark; Jun 30th 2024 at 2:03 pm.
Old Yesterday, 9:45 am
Just Joined

JamesReeves is an unknown quantity at this point

A souped up EG6 Honda Civic will beat every car listed here