Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 15th 2022, 6:01 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We're looking at getting a Honda CR-V, my husband cheerfully told me that 'it will see us out'. I reminded him that I'm 10 years younger that him
Maybe he plans on driving you off a cliff in it?
Old Nov 15th 2022, 12:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Maybe he plans on driving you off a cliff in it?
I read him your post but he said he wouldn't do that, because if he was dead too he wouldn't be able to claim my life insurance. Can always trust a Scouser to reassure you.

Old Nov 18th 2022, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I read him your post but he said he wouldn't do that, because if he was dead too he wouldn't be able to claim my life insurance. Can always trust a Scouser to reassure you.

Old Nov 19th 2022, 7:44 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a standalone sat nav - Garmin or TomTom? (In UK). How cheap can I get away with. I won't be buying the top of the line models.
Old Nov 19th 2022, 12:21 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Buying a standalone sat nav - Garmin or TomTom? (In UK). How cheap can I get away with. I won't be buying the top of the line models.
I had the cheapest of the cheap TomTom about 13 years ago, they used to offer life time updates and support until they decided it was too much hassle and told a bunch of people they were SOL and to just buy a new one so for that I'd probably go with Garmin. That said my preference is to just use Waze or Google maps on my phone.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 2:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I had the cheapest of the cheap TomTom about 13 years ago, they used to offer life time updates and support until they decided it was too much hassle and told a bunch of people they were SOL and to just buy a new one so for that I'd probably go with Garmin. That said my preference is to just use Waze or Google maps on my phone.

Thanks.

Not sure if I have enough data to use it that way, and I also like the larger screen of the standalones. If the cheapest ones do the necessary - I really just want to know the way and get the turn by turn instructions and the visual.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the price difference is too great I would go with Garmin. Garmin has became the standard for use in aircraft.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Unless the price difference is too great I would go with Garmin. Garmin has became the standard for use in aircraft.

I'm seeing basic Garmin models from 90 to 120 quid on sale. Basic ought to do me, I don't need bells or whistles.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 4:53 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I too prefer Garmin having sampled Tom-Tom for a while. One complaint on the (basic) Garmin 51 is that in town, the scale of the display is too small so too many roads, all I need to see is the next 1/4 mile or so but it's actually displaying about a mile. Zooming with the + button works but then it sticks at that location. Couple that with the tendency to announce turnings too late makes for stressful driving especially at night. Such features are difficult to discover without actually using one.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by btar
I too prefer Garmin having sampled Tom-Tom for a while. One complaint on the (basic) Garmin 51 is that in town, the scale of the display is too small so too many roads, all I need to see is the next 1/4 mile or so but it's actually displaying about a mile. Zooming with the + button works but then it sticks at that location. Couple that with the tendency to announce turnings too late makes for stressful driving especially at night. Such features are difficult to discover without actually using one.

That's good to know. I like good visibility and hate late instructions.
Old Nov 20th 2022, 5:35 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Garmin. Yonks ago OH and I borrowed a Garmin and a Tom Tom from respective mates for a week; we swapped after three days, then debriefed and both considered Garmin to be the better product.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Nov 20th 2022 at 5:53 am. Reason: Clarity
Old Nov 21st 2022, 2:43 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
When traveling in the UK we always use waze app on our phones. Never an issue.
Of course you do need a UK data plan. We just purchase a pay as you go sim card with a set amount of data and free calls from the airport terminal upon arrival.

Old Nov 21st 2022, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my Garmin. I bought one with HD traffic. I hate having to rely on my phone for nav. Get a LMT model. I am fortunate enough to have the one with built in dashcam which was needed just last week. There are often good deals on refurbished models from Garmin with a year's guarantee.
I have an unused 5 inch Garmin sitting in my desk drawer after upgrading to a 6 inch model. However the larger model keeps falling off the windscreen, being heavier

Last edited by mrken30; Nov 21st 2022 at 4:45 am.
Old Nov 21st 2022, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
When traveling in the UK we always use waze app on our phones. Never an issue.
Of course you do need a UK data plan. We just purchase a pay as you go sim card with a set amount of data and free calls from the airport terminal upon arrival.
Assuming you have a smartphone, what are the advantages of using a SatNav?
Old Nov 21st 2022, 5:41 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I love my Garmin. I bought one with HD traffic. I hate having to rely on my phone for nav. Get a LMT model. I am fortunate enough to have the one with built in dashcam which was needed just last week. There are often good deals on refurbished models from Garmin with a year's guarantee.
I have an unused 5 inch Garmin sitting in my desk drawer after upgrading to a 6 inch model. However the larger model keeps falling off the windscreen, being heavier
Thanks, that is interesting, I shall look into the sale of refurbished models. In fact I do have one, Garmin exchanged mine under warranty when it failed to find places. The new one was fine although I discovered it was 4 years old as I had to get a new rubber suction thingy as it kept falling off the windscreen, that is one thing Tom-Tom didn't do.
As for why a satnav is necessary, (Giantaxe's posting) well, there are lots of places in North America where there is no cell-phone service - especially in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.