Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 25th 2017, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
After 25yrs of manual gearboxes there is zero chance I'd buy one over here with the stop start driving.
Perhaps if I lived out in the sticks with some nice twisty roads to have fun on, or maybe for trackdays, but even with an auto you have the flappy paddles.
I have no idea why Europe is still so keen on manuals...?
I’m with you, I’ve had manuals since I started driving when I was 17 and I’m 26 now. I have a VW GTI with the flappy paddles and it’s great. Traffic here is a nightmare. My commute on the way home is 40 minutes of bumper to bump stop start traffic.

On the rare opportunites when we go on the twisty mountain roads and we’re not stuck behind RV’s then I just switch to manual/flappy paddle mode and I can have fun.

I certainly don’t think I’d ever go back to a manual now.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:14 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's not a big deal if all you have ever owned is a manual. I have rented a few autos in the US (never in the UK where I always request a manual, and phone ahead to make sure that they know that I'm a Brit who knows how to drive a manual), and they are all like sofas, soft, with little road feel and horribly unsatisfying to drive.

As it happens Mrs P owned a manual when I met her, so sticking with manuals hasn't been any challenge at all so far, at least not in persuading Mrs P. ..... The problem these days is that the number of manuals available is declining.

A few years ago my MIL described us as "weird" for having three vehicles, all manual. We have since added a fourth!
The Continuous Variable Transmission which I have on my 2015 Honda Accord has spoiled me for anything else.

On our LA stop start freeways I would have to be a masochist to ever consider a manual shift. First to second then back to first and up to second again as we make our way home on a 20 mile stretch of freeway during rush hour and it would be hard on my aging left foot as well
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
The Continuous Variable Transmission which I have on my 2015 Honda Accord has spoiled me for anything else.

On our LA stop start freeways I would have to be a masochist to ever consider a manual shift. First to second then back to first and up to second again as we make our way home on a 20 mile stretch of freeway during rush hour and it would be hard on my aging left foot as well
I found my CVT gave better fuel economy and performance compared to a manual.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the Eurocrats are trying to keep drivers hands on vehicle operation rather than freeing up a hand for the obligatory posting of 'duck face whilst driving pose' that seems prevalent here?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

After 25yrs of manual gearboxes there is zero chance I'd buy one over here with the stop start driving.
Perhaps if I lived out in the sticks with some nice twisty roads to have fun on, or maybe for trackdays, but even with an auto you have the flappy paddles.
I'm resigned to the fact that my next car will probably not have a clutch. I'm lucky that the driving I do rarely involves stop and go traffic so I'm perfectly happy sticking to the 7 speed corvette I have. My wife too still prefers to stay with a manual. When it came time 2 years ago to replace her old 6 speed GTI with a new one she stuck with another 6 speed. We both tried out the DSG version and both felt underwhelmed by it. I fear though next time the manual options will probably not be available
Old Oct 26th 2017, 12:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I have no idea why Europe is still so keen on manuals...?
They cheap, reliable, and need very little maintenance. They also work very well with small and medium sized engines.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Is that it's first clutch? Very impressive on something with 173,000 miles on it built in The Midlands
Hard to say the plate is definitely old. The weak point on a Defender clutch is the operating arm the push rod pushes through it. The gearbox needs to come out to replace it so most put in a new clutch while it is out.
They did turn out some crap for sure but the 200tdi engine really turned things around, the Discovery was a very good seller. The weak point with Discos is they rot to pieces.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Can I switch this to a driving (speeding) and insurance question - deliberately not in its own thread as I prefer it to be a little buried. Sorry if that's not allowed.

The other half just got a second speeding ticket in under 3 weeks and the latest is potentially a five-pointer and court case job (35mph over the limit). He's talking with a lawyer. My question is whether I can drop him from my insurance to protect my premiums (title and insurance are in my name with him as a named driver). Can he still legally drive my car if he isn't named on the policy?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten
Can I switch this to a driving (speeding) and insurance question - deliberately not in its own thread as I prefer it to be a little buried. Sorry if that's not allowed.

The other half just got a second speeding ticket in under 3 weeks and the latest is potentially a five-pointer and court case job (35mph over the limit). He's talking with a lawyer. My question is whether I can drop him from my insurance to protect my premiums (title and insurance are in my name with him as a named driver). Can he still legally drive my car if he isn't named on the policy?
Couldn't recommend a lawyer enough. I did my speed awareness course before my court date (at the recommendation of my lawyer) and every single person in my class that had a lawyer said it was money well spent.

I got caught at 90mph in a 55mph here a few months back (if you can be bothered, scroll a few pages back and you'll see). The guy in front of me at court, got caught in the exact same spot as me but 91mph instead of 90mph. He got a huge fine and 30 day license suspension where as my lawyer plead me down to a 3 point 'unsafe lane change' ticket and if I remember rightly a $140 ticket.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure it's a good idea to drop him from the policy as a named driver. He could get his own policy but i doubt it will work out cheaper. The best bet is to use a good lawyer and ensure the charges are reduced or thrown out so that insurance won't be impacted. It will cost a bit up front but in the long term you will be better off without paying the insurance increase pain.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

They cheap, reliable, and need very little maintenance. They also work very well with small and medium sized engines.
Maybe back in the day. There is maybe a 10% difference in cost, but you probably get 10% better fuel economy in a modern day automatic, even more in a CVT. There work perfectly well, in small cars. Also I think the majority of hybrids now have CVT.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 26th 2017 at 5:06 am.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Couldn't recommend a lawyer enough. I did my speed awareness course before my court date (at the recommendation of my lawyer) and every single person in my class that had a lawyer said it was money well spent.

I got caught at 90mph in a 55mph here a few months back (if you can be bothered, scroll a few pages back and you'll see). The guy in front of me at court, got caught in the exact same spot as me but 91mph instead of 90mph. He got a huge fine and 30 day license suspension where as my lawyer plead me down to a 3 point 'unsafe lane change' ticket and if I remember rightly a $140 ticket.
That's exactly the speed he was doing! Let's hope the lawyer can work his magic then. Thanks for the reply
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Not sure it's a good idea to drop him from the policy as a named driver. He could get his own policy but i doubt it will work out cheaper. The best bet is to use a good lawyer and ensure the charges are reduced or thrown out so that insurance won't be impacted. It will cost a bit up front but in the long term you will be better off without paying the insurance increase pain.
OK thanks. I agree lawyer is the way forward. Maybe I am premature to think about dropping his name from the policy. We both had clean licences when I switched policies the other month and we did save quite a bit. I don't know the impact if he ends up with 7 points (2 + 5, hopefully nothing worse) but we have only one car and I do want to continue to share it with him!

Thanks again.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks. I agree lawyer is the way forward. Maybe I am premature to think about dropping his name from the policy. .....
I am not sure that you can drop him. Mrs P tells me that all licensed drivers at the same address have to be on the policy, so if you have something fast, powerful and expensive, get ready for some scary premiums when you oldest child reaches 16. In other words, you can't just say "he doesn't drive my car" and then exclude him from your policy.

That said, insurance rules vary by state.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

so if you have something fast, powerful and expensive, get ready for some scary premiums when you oldest child reaches 16.
You knows what's weird. My kids are 18 and 22 and both still on my car insurance. Both can technically drive my corvette under the policy and yet out of the 4 cars we have it's the 2nd cheapest to insure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.