Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This was 'the last mile', as it were - I was in downtown Phoenix on city streets, with turns and intersections coming thick and fast; you don't get the same 'advance warning' when you are in the thick of the city. 99% of Phoenix is simple grid with obvious turns, but this just happened to be a location that had some really weird curvy bits, navigating around the light rail system.
Ah, yes. That makes sense.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

My phone just has a small bar at the bottom of the screen when I get a call. Also if you use the drive app, I think there may be options on how to display incoming calls.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:07 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This was 'the last mile', as it were - I was in downtown Phoenix on city streets, with turns and intersections coming thick and fast; you don't get the same 'advance warning' when you are in the thick of the city. 99% of Phoenix is simple grid with obvious turns, but this just happened to be a location that had some really weird curvy bits, navigating around the light rail system.
Well, yeah I guess you're ****ed there

Though, I suppose one could make an educated (or perhaps uneducated) guess and rely on the GPS to reroute after dealing with the call. I've since memorized the route, but I'd often blow through an intersection on my way to our yard in Chicago because the street sign was hard to see. Google, at least, recalculates pretty quickly.

All in all, I think I'd rather stick with using my phone rather than spending the money on a separate unit though.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The evo might be coming back, but I know a lot of people hate Japanese sports cars.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suv...aking-comeback
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
.... All in all, I think I'd rather stick with using my phone rather than spending the money on a separate unit though.
Because of the rarity of the occasions there'd be an advantage, there is no way I'd buy a GPS.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:07 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Because of the rarity of the occasions there'd be an advantage, there is no way I'd buy a GPS.
I was given one years ago and it was pretty unreliable. I'm sure they're better now but it's so convenient to use my phone I'm not bothered about how good they may be. Being able to download a route offline for navigation to continue should you lose the GPS signal is nice, as is having the voice instructions play through the car's speakers via bluetooth.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question - our car had a flat tire and I got it a quick repair with a 'plug' repair. It's now sorted and I got it done today quickly at the tire garage by us (girlfriend and I car share at the moment, so it's always needed everyday). How long can I expect the plug to last?

The girlfriend had been using the car herself all week and I hadn't used it. I drove it yesterday and saw the 'low tire pressure' on the dash board. I asked how long it'd been coming up, she said 'oh since Monday'?! Lucky it hadn't badly damaged the wheel itself as she drives on the highway to school.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:46 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The plug is for the life of the tyre if fitted properly, and to the limitations of those repairs (not supposed to be used at the edge of the tread of sidewall). If it's leaking you can easily test it, just throw some water with a little washing up liquid added at it, but suspect the valve too.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maste
Quick question - our car had a flat tire and I got it a quick repair with a 'plug' repair. It's now sorted and I got it done today quickly at the tire garage by us (girlfriend and I car share at the moment, so it's always needed everyday). How long can I expect the plug to last?

The girlfriend had been using the car herself all week and I hadn't used it. I drove it yesterday and saw the 'low tire pressure' on the dash board. I asked how long it'd been coming up, she said 'oh since Monday'?! Lucky it hadn't badly damaged the wheel itself as she drives on the highway to school.
This reminds me of when my wife called me and told me that the cauldron light was on.

Now the weather has turned colder, my low pressure light has come on. Thanks for reminding me to put air in my tires. I love having an air hose in the garage that reaches round all 8 wheels.

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 21st 2017 at 6:00 am.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Maste
Quick question - our car had a flat tire and I got it a quick repair with a 'plug' repair. It's now sorted and I got it done today quickly at the tire garage by us (girlfriend and I car share at the moment, so it's always needed everyday). How long can I expect the plug to last? .....
As Uk_Grenada said, they're good for the life of the tyre. I've had punctures repaired and put another 60,000-80,000 miles on the tire after the repair.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As Uk_Grenada said, they're good for the life of the tyre. I've had punctures repaired and put another 60,000-80,000 miles on the tire after the repair.
Awesome. That's good to know, especially with the Fall/Winter coming up meaning lots of 4 hour trips to Chicago and back for the girlfriends birthday, thanksgiving, Christmas and some other stuff. Didn't want to end up stranded on the I55!
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 12:57 am
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I own and have used a tire repair kit, similar to hat the pro's use.

I have repaired 2 tires, and never had a problem with them.

Other causes of air leaks can be the rim edges, if damaged, and also the valve area. Always make sure you have a dust cap fitted.

I would also check the tire, just in case you picked up another puncture. Nails and screws remaining in the tire can make a good enough seal so the tire will deflate very slowly.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I own and have used a tire repair kit, similar to hat the pro's use.
I'm jealous, I miss my tyre machine, it was so easy changing my own tyres and plugging them properly when they had holes. It was used mostly for motorcycle tyres, there is not a cat in hell's chance I'd ever plug a bike tyre with the 'string' type plugs sold in auto factors.
If a 'pro' is not removing your tyre to plug it then you need to find a new 'pro', decent plugs have to be pulled from the inside to outside and should have a mushroom head that is glued in, anything else should be considered a temporary fix.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The evo might be coming back, but I know a lot of people hate Japanese sports cars.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suv...aking-comeback
Mazda Furai was a uniquely original and stunning supercar .

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/con...burned-death#1
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

So, my loveable but within the last 4 months infuriating car, has given up on me.

Was coming home from work on highway 17 South when I started getting a misfire. Anyone that's been on 17 will probably appreciate that's not the best place in the world to be running on 3 cylinders. Anyhow I nursed the old girl home using the back roads and took it to my mechanic who said there was no pressure in cylinder one and that it'll cost more to repair than the cars worth.

Really gutted, loved that car. It was a Mini Cooper s 6 speed manual with the cooper works kit. I was thinking about enquiring about replacement engine prices but the other day when I was unloading the boot the latch sheared off so no longer locks. It was the last straw.

Prior to that a wheel hub started to fail, then the fuel pump died, all within the past few months. The kicker is I just bought new tyres for it too.

Anyhow, I'm going to a dealer this weekend to check out a 2013 Ford Fiesta with about 30k on the clock, it's manual and only 7 and a half grand. It seems a fair deal to me.
I've never bought from a dealer before how should I prepare myself?

I think it's a safer bet than Craigslist or whatnot, I've seen a lot of over priced junk on their, even adverts wanting 4-5 grand for a car where the transmission is gone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.