Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by newadventure
Too late - we have a '94 Ford F150. Eldest daughter is driving it to school at the moment and returning an impressive 12 mpg
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Old Aug 26th 2017, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Manchester a couple of days ago, and went to the Anson Engine Museum in Poynton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anson_Engine_Museum They have a wonderful collection of engines, including the first Diesel engine, some amazing 'deltic' engines, and of course a bunch of steam engines, many in working order and run for visitors.

Of relevance to this thread is the fact that they have the 'Bentley' W-12 engine
that is fairly unique to VW/Audi cars, including the head assembly showing the piston / con rod setup which is quite impressive. How a low-budget volunteer-run museum like that could get it's hands on what must be a very expensive engine, I can't imagine but it was fun to see in bits.http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/why...d-not-v12.html
Old Aug 26th 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I was in Manchester a couple of days ago, and went to the Anson Engine Museum in Poynton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anson_Engine_Museum They have a wonderful collection of engines, including the first Diesel engine, some amazing 'deltic' engines, and of course a bunch of steam engines, many in working order and run for visitors.
Do the Dutch not claim to possess the oldest diesel engine which, if I recall correctly, wasn't actually built by the French born Herr Diesel.
Old Aug 26th 2017, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Do the Dutch not claim to possess the oldest diesel engine which, if I recall correctly, wasn't actually built by the French born Herr Diesel.
There was more to the story than posted here ... the engine they have at this museum is apparently the first production engine designed/built by Herr Diesel, which was something like the third ever built (first two being prototypes/tests/etc). The guy telling us the 'story' didn't dwell on this aspect; there was a 'more detail' card on the wall but I didn't have time to read it. But regardless ... it's a 'very old' diesel!
Old Aug 27th 2017, 12:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There was more to the story than posted here ... the engine they have at this museum is apparently the first production engine designed/built by Herr Diesel, which was something like the third ever built (first two being prototypes/tests/etc). The guy telling us the 'story' didn't dwell on this aspect; there was a 'more detail' card on the wall but I didn't have time to read it. But regardless ... it's a 'very old' diesel!
What fuel did the engine run on? I have always understood that Herr Diesel's "original" engine design ran on coal dust.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In UK last week, I experienced the 'managed motorway' system, whereby a variable speed limit is applied (and 'speed averaging' is used to enforce the chosen speed limits, so you can't just slow down for the cameras any more). In this particular instance, the limit was 50. There was a lot of traffic, so there were essentially 3 lanes of traffic all moving at 50. This approach does seem to negate the British obsession with lane discipline!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

In UK last week, I experienced the 'managed motorway' system, whereby a variable speed limit is applied (and 'speed averaging' is used to enforce the chosen speed limits, so you can't just slow down for the cameras any more). In this particular instance, the limit was 50. There was a lot of traffic, so there were essentially 3 lanes of traffic all moving at 50. This approach does seem to negate the British obsession with lane discipline!
It is annoying but it does seem to improve traffic flow (or at least reduce the stop-start traffic).

What p*****d me off was the miles of road works. It seemed (in April) that half of the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester was restricted with concrete barriers and 50mph limit.

Last year, near me, they completely re-surfaced a 10 mile stretch of 2-lane road over 2 weeks. They had one-way traffic with a 'pilot' vehicle leading them. They're also widening about 20 miles of I-10 from 2 to 3 lanes with minimal disruption. Just the occasional lane closures at night for major stuff like replacing bridges.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What fuel did the engine run on? I have always understood that Herr Diesel's "original" engine design ran on coal dust.
The world's first successful heavy oil engines were invented and built by Herbert Akroyd Stuart in Fenny Stratford. Similar but not the same as a Diesel engine.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This has been in place for years on the M25. It has also been used on a lot of road works in the UK. Does mean that you can put your foot down if you have been in a jam for a while. I am not sure if the cameras operate in both modes.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A note of caution to anyone considering relying on their phone as the only GPS option in their car ... I was driving in unfamiliar territory today, relying on the GPS exclusively to get me to my destination. Just as I approached a key intersection, I got a call, and the phone display changed from navigation display to 'answer call' display - and I had no idea what to do at the intersection!

There have been numerous debates on here about whether it's worth buying the in-built dedicated nav, or buying a separate standalone device (a la Garmin). The phone does tend to win out in so many ways (I use my phone almost exclusively for navigation despite having a multi-thousand dollar built in option) but do keep in mind there are some drawbacks!

Does anyone know how 'Android Auto' handles this - that is, if the phone is feeding the car's display with navigation info, what happens to that display when a call comes in?
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:29 am

A note of caution to anyone considering relying on their phone as the only GPS option in their car ... I was driving in unfamiliar territory today, relying on the GPS exclusively to get me to my destination. Just as I approached a key intersection, I got a call, and the phone display changed from navigation display to 'answer call' display - and I had no idea what to do at the intersection!

There have been numerous debates on here about whether it's worth buying the in-built dedicated nav, or buying a separate standalone device (a la Garmin). The phone does tend to win out in so many ways (I use my phone almost exclusively for navigation despite having a multi-thousand dollar built in option) but do keep in mind there are some drawbacks!

Does anyone know how 'Android Auto' handles this - that is, if the phone is feeding the car's display with navigation info, what happens to that display when a call comes in?
Were you not listening to the advance warnings?

Waze gives you an advance instruction five minutes before an anticipated turn (off an interstate or major highway), and I think another at a mile or quarter mile depending on how fast you are traveling, before the final instruction to turn.

Google Maps does something very similar, with the actual instruction to "turn now" usually being the the third of three instructions.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:55 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Google Maps does something very similar, with the actual instruction to "turn now" usually being the the third of three instructions.
Yup. I use Google Maps/Navigation quite often and it is pretty good at displaying the next turn at the top of the screen in advance, and then it starts giving 'verbal' notifications at about 2 miles out, with at least one other reminder before the actual 'turn xxx direction onto yyy road' notification.

Usually though, I know what I need to do well before I actually need to do it, with a little mile notification counting down and more details coming up (like exit number, control cities, etc) as I get within a couple of miles of the turn. It's good shit.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Waze gives you an advance instruction five minutes before an anticipated turn (off an interstate or major highway), and I think another at a mile or quarter mile depending on how fast you are traveling, before the final instruction to turn.

This has happened to me. I think I may have been using the TomTom app on my phone. I was approaching the Interstate exit when I received a call. Had already had the notice to exit but not which way to turn at the end of the ramp. I turned the wrong way and ended up in a US Army base. It was dual carriageway with no opportunity to turn around before the security checkpoint. They made me get out of the car and checked my ID before allowing me through the barrier to turn around.

On another occasion, pre-smart phone, I used a GPS app on my laptop with a USB GPS receiver. I had already been guided to my destination and was on my way home (without the GPS running). I remembered it had taken me on a back-road which eliminated a detour into a town but wasn't sure where that turn was, so I pulled out my laptop and fired it up (while driving). It took several miles to boot up and get a GPS lock but it then immediately said to turn left. In lemming mode, I followed the instructions. After several miles, the blacktop became a red dirt road. I had to decide whether to turn back or continue hoping it would only be a couple of miles. 25 miles later, I finally reached tarmac again.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yup. I use Google Maps/Navigation quite often and it is pretty good at displaying the next turn at the top of the screen in advance, and then it starts giving 'verbal' notifications at about 2 miles out, with at least one other reminder before the actual 'turn xxx direction onto yyy road' notification.

Usually though, I know what I need to do well before I actually need to do it, with a little mile notification counting down and more details coming up (like exit number, control cities, etc) as I get within a couple of miles of the turn. It's good shit.
This was 'the last mile', as it were - I was in downtown Phoenix on city streets, with turns and intersections coming thick and fast; you don't get the same 'advance warning' when you are in the thick of the city. 99% of Phoenix is simple grid with obvious turns, but this just happened to be a location that had some really weird curvy bits, navigating around the light rail system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.