Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 11th 2022, 2:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That just sounds like a car to me. ....
Yet you started out a few posts above here ^ saying that the car in the TV show sounded different, and asked why.

If you're interested in something and spend a lot of around things that make noises, you will learn to tell things from the sound they make even though most people would say "that's just a bird", "that's just a diesel train", "that's just a car", "that's just an electric guitar", it is perfectly possible to become enough of an expert who can distinguish birds by their calls, know the distinctive sounds of different locomotives, can tell cars apart by their engine note, or pick out what guitar is being played from a recording.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 2:57 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yet you started out a few posts above here ^ saying that the car in the TV show sounded different, and asked why.
Yes, that's entirely correct. It did sound different. Hence my question.
Note that I also asked for a non technical explanation and you wrote reams of stuff about engines and cylinders V8s (that's a drink isn't it? ) and V12s and until now I refrained from commenting on that.

I said that sample you posted sounded like a car because it did sound like any old common or garden car. What I was asking about was a car that sounded different. Not like any old common or garden car.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:13 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't know one car from another but I am intrigued by the sound of a car in the Finnish TV show Deadwind/Karppi.

According to IMDB it's a BMW E31 8-series coupe.

Can someone explain - in non technical terms - why that car sounds like it does when it starts and drives off. I've never heard any other car like it.
Your link says it's a Porsche Taycan 4S electric sedan. It's probably fake noise pumped into the car, possibly outside too.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, crazy, isn't it. That said, there's only a few of us here in the US who post regularly on this thread, so, honestly, cars are more of niche interest than us petrol/ gear heads would like to believe.

Thank goodness we have EV's and Hybrids to talk about - expands the field a bit
Old Nov 12th 2022, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Thank goodness we have EV's and Hybrids to talk about - expands the field a bit
there is a certain ev car company owner that is certainly being talked about a lot these days
Old Nov 12th 2022, 2:03 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
there is a certain ev car company owner that is certainly being talked about a lot these days
Talking of Teslas, I’d never seen one till about six weeks ago - we live in a sparsely populated rural area. We drove down to Connecticut to visit friends who’ve moved there .. driving into CT, we saw an odd looking car with an odd looking logo - then another and another and so on. We soon realised they were Teslas. Just goes to show how regional the profile of cars you see on the road is. Up our way, most vehicles are trucks or very old cars (since folk up here are generally poor.) if you see a newish car, it’s generally a Subaru or Toyota (since they are the two local dealerships.)
Old Nov 12th 2022, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I didn’t realize until the Twitter kerfuffle that Musk didn’t found Tesla. He joined about six months after it was incorporated. He was, however, by far the biggest early investor. Also amusing that he wrote the two original founders out of Tesla’s history and it took a lawsuit to get them reinstated.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 4:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness we have EV's and Hybrids to talk about - expands the field a bit ...
Maybe you could start your own thread on the subject?
Old Nov 12th 2022, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by robin1234
Talking of Teslas, I’d never seen one till about six weeks ago - we live in a sparsely populated rural area. We drove down to Connecticut to visit friends who’ve moved there .. driving into CT, we saw an odd looking car with an odd looking logo - then another and another and so on. We soon realised they were Teslas. Just goes to show how regional the profile of cars you see on the road is. Up our way, most vehicles are trucks or very old cars (since folk up here are generally poor.) if you see a newish car, it’s generally a Subaru or Toyota (since they are the two local dealerships.)
The only time I have ever had anyone approach me and ask if they could take a picture of a car I own is when I lived in Westchester Co, NY back in early 2002 when Mrs P and I stopped at an ad hoc "car show" outside a strip mall. We stopped to look at the cars that were on display, but one kid decided that my shiny new Mustang GT (parked nearby, and certainly not part of the display) was unsual enough for him to want to take a photo. ..... In the suburbs of NY, import brands predominated, especially in the prestige and performance sector, and I had already noticed that my Mustang was a relative rarity.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could start your own thread on the subject?
"Let's talk about ... " ?
Old Nov 12th 2022, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Your link says it's a Porsche Taycan 4S electric sedan. It's probably fake noise pumped into the car, possibly outside too.
I happened to hear a Porsche EV a few months ago in a parking lot. As many are aware, recent laws require EV's to 'make noise' at lower speeds. Each EV producer uses slightly different sounds; my Toyota hybrid makes a 'space-ship' sound. The Porsche had a decidedly different sound, obviously they wanted it to sound more 'macho'. The sound from my car is louder in reverse than forward, but stays on (in forward) until I reach about 25 mph. The car in the movie clip, assuming it's an EV, is definitely moving at a slow speed so it's feasible that this explains the weird sound.

Here's a possible example:

Also, my nephew is a car fanatic and races cars on the weekend. He tells me his current car (some form of BMW) - an ICE car - has fake engine noise pumped INSIDE the cabin because the real engine is too quiet
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/20/...e-sound-m235i/ (note the car in the article is a "...a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 301 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque".

Old Nov 12th 2022, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234
What makes EVs even more 'spotty' around the US is that only a limited number of states offer serious incentives to buy EVs, and the manufacturers target their sales to those states. Now, you are in NY and NY does offer rebates, but NY scores fairly low in a rating of 'best states to buy an EV'. This article talks about the incentives in some states and positive roadblocks in others. Alabama, for example, bans direct sales of EVs (the 'Tesla' sales model) and charges more to register an EV than an ICE model. New York rates as 'barely accessible'. I saw an ad on TV recently for some EV, and the small-print said something like "only available in ..." and listed about a dozen states.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 6:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

What makes EVs even more 'spotty' around the US is that only a limited number of states offer serious incentives to buy EVs, and the manufacturers target their sales to those states. Now, you are in NY and NY does offer rebates, but NY scores fairly low in a rating of 'best states to buy an EV'. This article talks about the incentives in some states and positive roadblocks in others. Alabama, for example, bans direct sales of EVs (the 'Tesla' sales model) and charges more to register an EV than an ICE model. New York rates as 'barely accessible'. I saw an ad on TV recently for some EV, and the small-print said something like "only available in ..." and listed about a dozen states.
Thanks, good article - as far as it goes. The comments section brings up other perspectives, for instance the need to fund roads if you’re not paying a gas tax, also much commentary about charging networks or lack of .. which several comments noted were much more important in committing to buy an EV, rather than state rebates or whatever.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

18% of new car sales in California are zero-emission vehicles (which, bizarrely, includes plugin-hybrids). That's by far the highest percentage for a US state. By comparison, over 75% of new car sales in Norway are electric.
Old Nov 12th 2022, 6:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
There are two references. In the third season it's a Porsche - that's when I noticed it.
Sakari Nurmi drives a BMW E31 8-series coupe, last produced in 1999, it came with a V12 engine and was a luxury GT car.
and
Though Nurmi's 8-series BMW coupe is still shown in the opening title sequence for season 3, his new car is a Porsche Taycan 4S electric sedan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.