Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 2:31 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by civilservant
Nice!

I really do hate the front ends of those Silervados though.

I'm seriously thinking about a Colorado as my next truck, since I hardly ever tow anything. It's hard to justify the insane prices that they are asking for these things right now.
I absolutely hated it when they first came out and was convinced I'd get a Ford or GMC but over time it grew on me and with the complete lack of chrome on it and price difference between this and the GMCs I'm happy with it. I've had a Colorado for the last 3 years as my company vehicle and it did all I needed it to, though I never had a tow package etc so no clue how well it would tow if needed. It was comfortable enough for me at 6ft 5 so I'd certainly recommend them, though the prices of the more equipped versions are certainly a put off. On the flip side I did average 25-30 mpg which made it more fuel efficient than my Toyota Sienna.

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Great looking truck. Is it a V6 with automatic? When I bought my Tacoma last year I reluctantly went with a automatic but so far think it was a good idea.
V8 8 speed automatic. It's only the 5.3 because they don't do 6.2s in the 2019 Trail Boss but going from an I-4 to this is probably enough of a power boost anyways, plus the 6.2s need Premium so the cost of ownership goes up. I'm not too concerned about it being automatic though as I've lost count of the amount of times I've driven the wife's car and slammed my foot down on the imaginary clutch and jarred my knee because I was too used to driving my manual Colorado.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I absolutely hated it when they first came out and was convinced I'd get a Ford or GMC but over time it grew on me and with the complete lack of chrome on it and price difference between this and the GMCs I'm happy with it. I've had a Colorado for the last 3 years as my company vehicle and it did all I needed it to, though I never had a tow package etc so no clue how well it would tow if needed. It was comfortable enough for me at 6ft 5 so I'd certainly recommend them, though the prices of the more equipped versions are certainly a put off. On the flip side I did average 25-30 mpg which made it more fuel efficient than my Toyota Sienna.

V8 8 speed automatic. It's only the 5.3 because they don't do 6.2s in the 2019 Trail Boss but going from an I-4 to this is probably enough of a power boost anyways, plus the 6.2s need Premium so the cost of ownership goes up. I'm not too concerned about it being automatic though as I've lost count of the amount of times I've driven the wife's car and slammed my foot down on the imaginary clutch and jarred my knee because I was too used to driving my manual Colorado.
I do the same regarding the clutch in my Yaris daily driver. Even worse I have found myself grabbing the auto shift lever to shift gears. I just sold my five speed Miata so all I have now are auto.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I do like the Trail Boss', great color choice too. I looked at one for a little before getting the Raptor, dealership couldn't find one in anything other than black so decided to look elsewhere, and like civilservant, I really do dislike the front end on the new Chevys!

I'm surprised it isn't the 10 speed, it was co-developed by Ford and GM and I assumed it was going to be the norm in a lot of their offerings going forward.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a lot of flak on the Chevy/GMC forums about the 8-speed being very clunky and harsh shifting. I thought it was going away in favour of the 10-speed.

I have just upgraded my 2017 Silverado 1500 to a 2016 Sierra 2500HD as we upgraded our travel trailer to a bigger one that was too much trailer for the 1500. I really wanted the diesel but couldn't justify the $8-$10,000 premium.

I have the 6.0L gas engine which has almost identical power & torque numbers as the 5.3 but I'm getting pretty crap mileage on it. My 1500 returned 20mpg average over 27,000+ miles. This one is struggling to get 14mpg.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:26 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

The 10 speed is only available in the 6.2s as far as I can tell and they aren't available in a Trail Boss until the 2020s come out, I could've waited but then the Toyota Tundra is predicted to be updated in 2021 so I'd wait again. I can't honestly say I have any complaints about the 8 speed though, it seemed a little slow to shift when I put my foot down when test driving but I've since messed around with the sport mode and 4 high and now it seems to respond quicker in regular 2 wheel drive so might have just needed to be driven a little.

My local dealership only has a black one available, and priced it 2K over what I paid, but where I live most people drive trucks so there's plenty of other dealerships with better stock not too far away, the one I bought it from seemed to have all colour options in both LT and Custom. The only downside is I bought it in Alabama so now I have to drive to my county clerk and pay the tax direct to them, it doesn't seem so bad when you're paying it monthly but to just hand over 3 or 4 grand direct to the taxman is going to hurt.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 6:53 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think it's already well known that there won't be a coupé version of the new Z4 or a convertible Supra, because a coupé Z4 is a Supra, and a convertible Supra is a Z4. But who knew that Z4 and Supra have a half-sibling?

https://youtu.be/RDCu_ScK2_g
Now that's nice.
Beautiful car. Not in my budget unless my MiL passes away and gets out of my S FL apartment that shes been living in rent free for 15 years.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 6:57 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the UK with an Audi SUV. No book in car. After six days warning bell constantly going off, with message to turn the ignition off if on a hill and put parking brake on, automatic car, Also to put headlights on when going into underground parking, when they come on automatically. Goes on and on when driving for no reason. How do you turn it off?
Old Aug 10th 2019, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We are in the UK with an Audi SUV. No book in car. After six days warning bell constantly going off, with message to turn the ignition off if on a hill and put parking brake on, automatic car, Also to put headlights on when going into underground parking, when they come on automatically. Goes on and on when driving for no reason. How do you turn it off?
Last several cars I bought, first thing I did was google and download the manual in PDF form. The physical 'books' are too hard to read for my bad eyesight and it's much easier to search on the computer.
Audi Online Owner's Manual
although this forum suggests Audi are behind in this regard ... https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2902790/page2/ I've been doing this for at least 10 years on my Honda / Toyota family models.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Eat your heart out you Mustang lovers.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-e7644463-7820-40bd-9c85-c317e3a7ec0c.png  
Old Aug 13th 2019, 5:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Eat your heart out you Mustang lovers.
She must be exceptional to get it for one trick.

Nice car JG
Old Aug 13th 2019, 6:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
She must be exceptional to get it for one trick.

Nice car JG
Sorry it’s not mine. I don’t like them.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 14th 2019, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Regarding car buying ... I think it's worth noting that any car that is trendy or popular is going to command a higher price and you may never get a 'good deal' in that context. I've always been a fan of utterly boring cars like Honda Accords (or CRVs these days) which has to be the quintessential 'average car'. If I were looking to buy a 'mini cooper' or a BMW blah bla, I'm sure I'd find it much harder!
I'm on my third successive Honda Accord since 1986. I got a very good deal on my 2014 Accord through consumer reports. I'm not sure if they still offer that service.
A reliable vehicle at a reasonable is all I look for in a car.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 10:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Mustang from Bullitt goes up for auction:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...mily-1.5253273
Old Aug 24th 2019, 10:23 pm
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I'm on my third successive Honda Accord since 1986. I got a very good deal on my 2014 Accord through consumer reports. I'm not sure if they still offer that service.
A reliable vehicle at a reasonable is all I look for in a car.
Did you get the 2014 Accord new or second hand? Are they a good buy - if well kept - second hand? How many miles did manage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.