Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 27th 2019, 7:44 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by chawkins99
There were a few reasons but figured we needed to reduce costs and cash out the equity.

There are jobs around here but many are related to military and require security clearance. I may be able to get that but it may also require relinquishing British citizenship. Plus, if I'm up against another candidate who already has clearance...

I spent several years as a contractor in the UK which meant working away from home for weeks at a time. This way, home goes with me. At 57, age is not in my favor.
I encountered this issue at a previous place of employment.
They took on a sensitive government project, at an early meeting the 'people' asked if there were and non US citizens among the group.
10 of the 15 staff raised their hands.
Lead to a long complicated security process that involved us all becoming US citizens at a expedited rate. Then they shredded our non US passports and processed us all to some security level.
The options when presented with the passport shredding were, go ahead or clear our desks. We all went ahead.
Thankfully a few years down the road the project has run its course and we all dropped our security clearance.

I reapplied for my UK passport, no issues getting that thankfully.

Old Aug 27th 2019, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
I encountered this issue at a previous place of employment.
They took on a sensitive government project, at an early meeting the 'people' asked if there were and non US citizens among the group.
10 of the 15 staff raised their hands.
Lead to a long complicated security process that involved us all becoming US citizens at a expedited rate. Then they shredded our non US passports and processed us all to some security level.
The options when presented with the passport shredding were, go ahead or clear our desks. We all went ahead.
Thankfully a few years down the road the project has run its course and we all dropped our security clearance.

I reapplied for my UK passport, no issues getting that thankfully.
I'm already a US citizen but have heard of people being forced to relinquish foreign citizenship to get clearance. I would guess if they just shredded your UK passport, you could have re-applied the next day. How would they know?

My point was that many employers would not want to go through the hassle of clearing someone if there were someone else already cleared.

BTW: I noticed the spelling of favour in my original message was changed to favor in the quoted message... Strange.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:31 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I'm already a US citizen but have heard of people being forced to relinquish foreign citizenship to get clearance. I would guess if they just shredded your UK passport, you could have re-applied the next day. How would they know?

My point was that many employers would not want to go through the hassle of clearing someone if there were someone else already cleared.

BTW: I noticed the spelling of favour in my original message was changed to favor in the quoted message... Strange.
This passport shredding reasoning is that they didn't want us leaving the country on a UK passport and them not being aware.
Sounded like BS to me but we all handed them over and watched them go through a shredder

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

So, I ended up getting a premium Subaru 5 door Impreza, in black. Got it for a good deal (under truecar value price) at 0.9% for 72 months with 30% down payment. There's no penalty for paying it off sooner too, so that's why I went for the 0.9% at 72 months. In the end, I'll only be paying 400 in interest if I let it run that long. Happy with my purchase!
Old Sep 5th 2019, 12:33 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
So, I ended up getting a premium Subaru 5 door Impreza, in black. Got it for a good deal (under truecar value price) at 0.9% for 72 months with 30% down payment. There's no penalty for paying it off sooner too, so that's why I went for the 0.9% at 72 months. In the end, I'll only be paying 400 in interest if I let it run that long. Happy with my purchase!
Just having the flexibility for that 70% over the next 6 years is worth the $400. Nice deal!
Old Nov 1st 2019, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Saw an awesome documentary on PBS about driverless cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanceel.../#653136cd38a1

Was a real eye-opener for me! It showed real footage (posted to youTube by individuals) of people driving 'hands free' in their Teslas in both heavy traffic and at high speeds. Also showed two crashed captured by said drivers - both fatal (presumably footage retrieved from the dead drivers cell phones or GoPro's or whatever). I had NO IDEA people were doing this today! The documentary takes a very serious and detailed look at the issues, addressing both the promises and the problems. It's a 'must watch' for anyone interested in this area of technology and cars.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 6:00 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Saw an awesome documentary on PBS about driverless cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lanceel.../#653136cd38a1

Was a real eye-opener for me! It showed real footage (posted to youTube by individuals) of people driving 'hands free' in their Teslas in both heavy traffic and at high speeds. Also showed two crashed captured by said drivers - both fatal (presumably footage retrieved from the dead drivers cell phones or GoPro's or whatever). I had NO IDEA people were doing this today! The documentary takes a very serious and detailed look at the issues, addressing both the promises and the problems. It's a 'must watch' for anyone interested in this area of technology and cars.
the Nova video is geo-locked for my location, but I've kept up with the driverless-cars debate even though I'm no longer involved (I used to work for a company that supplied some of the guidance and positioning sensors to most major autonomy players' development groups).

The Forbes article opens with a description of the now-famous Uber crash, where a pedestian was struck and fatally injured by a driverless car. The official NTSB report isn't supposed to apportion blame, but indicates quite strongly that the fault did not lie with the "driving systems" in the car; the pedestrian was wearing dark clothing, crossing a badly lit road, pushing an unlit bicycle, 350m from a lit and marked crosswalk - oh, and was positive for pot and meth in post-mortem tox reports. It is exceedingly unlikely that the admittedly tragic outcome of this incident would have been any less traumatic if the car had been controlled by a human driver.

The Tesla incidents, as well - while I don't know which are referred to in the PBS piece - are likely to be where the "driver assist" functions have been relied upon for full autonomy, which Tesla specifically says they are not. The kinds of sensors and feedback systems in experimental driverless cars (as well as Uber and Google, whose efforts have been well reported, every major auto manufacturer is playing in this space, including Mercedes-Benz, GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen Group and probably a bunch of others) are a class apart from the nearly-there technology that manufacturers like Tesla are putting in their production vehicles; it won't be long before these are mass-market devices, but they're still developmental tools for now, as far as I'm aware.

Every analysis of road-use data indicates that autonomous vehicles are significantly safer, for their occupants and for other road users, than vehicles driven by humans. Even in the experimental stages, there has to my knowledge been not one single incident of at-fault collision where the blame can be placed on the computer control systems. There's more than a grain of truth in the theory that the industry having most to lose from autonomous vehicles is the auto insurance sector: no longer will they be able to command such high profit margins from the users of vehicles. Medical insurers, conversely, are over the moon with glee about the possibility of increased profits due to lower claims volumes....
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
the Nova video is geo-locked for my location, but I've kept up with the driverless-cars debate even though I'm no longer involved (I used to work for a company that supplied some of the guidance and positioning sensors to most major autonomy players' development groups).

The Forbes article opens with a description of the now-famous Uber crash, where a pedestian was struck and fatally injured by a driverless car. The official NTSB report isn't supposed to apportion blame, but indicates quite strongly that the fault did not lie with the "driving systems" in the car; the pedestrian was wearing dark clothing, crossing a badly lit road, pushing an unlit bicycle, 350m from a lit and marked crosswalk - oh, and was positive for pot and meth in post-mortem tox reports. It is exceedingly unlikely that the admittedly tragic outcome of this incident would have been any less traumatic if the car had been controlled by a human driver.

The Tesla incidents, as well - while I don't know which are referred to in the PBS piece - are likely to be where the "driver assist" functions have been relied upon for full autonomy, which Tesla specifically says they are not. The kinds of sensors and feedback systems in experimental driverless cars (as well as Uber and Google, whose efforts have been well reported, every major auto manufacturer is playing in this space, including Mercedes-Benz, GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen Group and probably a bunch of others) are a class apart from the nearly-there technology that manufacturers like Tesla are putting in their production vehicles; it won't be long before these are mass-market devices, but they're still developmental tools for now, as far as I'm aware.

Every analysis of road-use data indicates that autonomous vehicles are significantly safer, for their occupants and for other road users, than vehicles driven by humans. Even in the experimental stages, there has to my knowledge been not one single incident of at-fault collision where the blame can be placed on the computer control systems. There's more than a grain of truth in the theory that the industry having most to lose from autonomous vehicles is the auto insurance sector: no longer will they be able to command such high profit margins from the users of vehicles. Medical insurers, conversely, are over the moon with glee about the possibility of increased profits due to lower claims volumes....
The show was very positive about the overall progress made, and reflected pretty much what you say above. But it was also realistic about certain aspects - like the fact that we are a very long way from being able to have driverless cars operating in 'all' conditions - snow, heavy rain, remote locations, etc. It wasn't a hit piece by any means. I'd say, typical 'nova' quality.

The Uber incident (The one in Tempe, AZ) was covered in the documentary; it clearly showed the 'test' / 'supervising' driver was watching a streaming video at the time, (though she denied it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elaine_Herzberg .
Old Nov 4th 2019, 5:37 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The show was very positive about the overall progress made, and reflected pretty much what you say above. But it was also realistic about certain aspects - like the fact that we are a very long way from being able to have driverless cars operating in 'all' conditions - snow, heavy rain, remote locations, etc. It wasn't a hit piece by any means. I'd say, typical 'nova' quality.

The Uber incident (The one in Tempe, AZ) was covered in the documentary; it clearly showed the 'test' / 'supervising' driver was watching a streaming video at the time, (though she denied it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elaine_Herzberg .
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to wait for the Nova piece to come to Canadian public TV, or find it online somewhere.

One of the hardest parts of the autonomous challenge - certainly harder to deal with than extreme weather, which isn't too far off resolution although so far at too high a price point for mass adoption - is what happens in ambiguous places in interactions with pedestrians. The typical example is the forecourt of an airport terminal or train station, where there are pedestrians stepping out into the road and cars pulling in to the curbside to pick up passengers, in an unmanaged way. Today, an awful lot of the communication of "yes, I've seen you, please go ahead" type communication is done by making eye-contact between driver and pedestrian; where there's no driver, that two-way communication of intention and acknowledgement is really, really hard. I think it was Mercedes-Benz whose proposed solution was a bright laser pointer on the front of the car that would "paint" a zebra crossing on the road to indicate that it has understood a pedestrian's potential desire to cross. Very cool to watch, but I'm not sure it's exactly a practical solution in the real world. It's unmanaged situations like these,and others in densely populated areas, rather than remote/rural navigation, that'll be the biggest hurdle to widespread adoption.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked for NHTSA they had a 1 to 5 scale for autonomous cars with 5 being full autonomy. A year ago, we were at 2. I would suspect we are still at that number, a fair fair way from truly autonomous cars.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to wait for the Nova piece to come to Canadian public TV, or find it online somewhere.

One of the hardest parts of the autonomous challenge - certainly harder to deal with than extreme weather, which isn't too far off resolution although so far at too high a price point for mass adoption - is what happens in ambiguous places in interactions with pedestrians. The typical example is the forecourt of an airport terminal or train station, where there are pedestrians stepping out into the road and cars pulling in to the curbside to pick up passengers, in an unmanaged way. Today, an awful lot of the communication of "yes, I've seen you, please go ahead" type communication is done by making eye-contact between driver and pedestrian; where there's no driver, that two-way communication of intention and acknowledgement is really, really hard. I think it was Mercedes-Benz whose proposed solution was a bright laser pointer on the front of the car that would "paint" a zebra crossing on the road to indicate that it has understood a pedestrian's potential desire to cross. Very cool to watch, but I'm not sure it's exactly a practical solution in the real world. It's unmanaged situations like these,and others in densely populated areas, rather than remote/rural navigation, that'll be the biggest hurdle to widespread adoption.
They covered this in the documentary also, but the example they gave was the situation that arises when two cars approach an obstacle in the road at roughly the same time - a stretch of road where cars are parked on both sides, only allowing one car to proceed. In real life, a 'negotiation' takes place between drivers and one driver essentially takes the initiative while the other waits. This 'negotiation' is quite sophisticated and hard to 'program'. As long as both cars are driverless, this situation could be handled by various approaches but if you are in a mixed environment it could be very tough. One can imagine the automated car simply 'freezing'. You don't get much of this situation in the US (at least, not that much, and not on the west coast) but in Europe ... oh my! Every darned street has way too many cars parked half-on the pavement, half on the road.

The issue with bad weather was that 'LIDAR' (basically 'Light Detection and Ranging', or laser radar) gets messed up by rain and snow pretty easily, at least currently. I can see that as being a pretty hard challenge to overcome. Image sharpness drops off big-time in rain/snow.

Fascinating subject! One guy was speculating that if cars become fully automated, we wouldn't have any parking issues because cars could be 'stored' away from congestion and be 'summoned' when needed. But another guy speculated that if it becomes so easy to just 'jump in a car', we could see a big increase in congestion.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:11 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In Old Mexico the rule for 2 semi trucks approaching a narrow bridge at the same time was first to flash his headlights claimed right-of-way. Machismo ensured accidents, many and horrific.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt automated cars will be the norm in the future, but I wonder how it will all be implemented, not like every car will be automated from the start, and what about motorcycles, will they be automated too?

I see a lot of comments from people online saying in 10 years everything will be automated, whats the opinion on that?
Old Dec 28th 2019, 5:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Any Teslsa fans around? Anyone get a chance to see what that software update is like for the performance boost? Just intrigued how a $2K software update can boost the performance so much.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Why do so many drivers not indicate (US: use blinkers) when turning left or right? Is it laziness, ignorance, or is it a deliberate refusal to inform other drivers of their intentions?
A typical scenario is driving down a major through route in the right-hand lane behind a pickup truck, and the first indication that the driver in front intends to turn into Tres Amigos Mart is when his brake lights illuminate. We then come to a complete stop because the driver is both incapable of making a sharp right hand turn and unable to judge his vehicle's width. Pickup truck drivers require two lanes in order to turn, so I now have to wait until the exit lane from the car park is clear.

Oddly my wife asserts that women drivers are the worst, although I am sure men are just as bad. Hopefully these new genders I have been reading about will be better when it comes to indicating.

Is it really that difficult to flip the indicator stick up or down? My 1950s Morris Minor had a large dashboard-mounted rotary knob to operate the indicators, which meant taking a hand off the steering wheel to turn the knob. I think those flashing indicators were a post-factory addition to the original equipment, which was still in place:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rafficator.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.