Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:04 am
  #7381  
BE Forum Addict
 
johnwoo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,277
johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Jpk
Did you get the 2014 Accord new or second hand? Are they a good buy - if well kept - second hand? How many miles did manage?
The first used car I bought in the USA was the last. I buy new and keep until I've got at least 150,000 miles, and then pass it on to a family member.
Owning successive Honda Accords since 1986 speaks for itself as to whether I think they are a good buy.




1998 & 2014 Hondas
johnwoo is offline  
Old Aug 24th 2019, 12:02 pm
  #7382  
Jpk
Just Joined
 
Jpk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 27
Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Thanks!
​​​They look great!
Jpk is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2019, 4:16 am
  #7383  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 13,258
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The first used car I bought in the USA was the last. I buy new and keep until I've got at least 150,000 miles, and then pass it on to a family member.
Owning successive Honda Accords since 1986 speaks for itself as to whether I think they are a good buy.




1998 & 2014 Hondas
When I first arrived in 1983, I picked up a used Accord with 77,000 miles on it for just a few thousand bucks. Drove it for years, without issue, till I got to 150,000 then bought another used Accord, this time with 'only' 55,000 miles on it. Kept that for quite a while too. By that point I was making very good money and wanted some of the latest safety features such as anti-lock brakes and reversing camera, so had to splurge on a new car in '92, getting an Acura Legend (which was from the same 'family' as the Accord). I kept that Legend through 2006, when it had 140,000 miles on it ... and gave it to my g/f. With Honda's, you just have to remember to change the timing belt on cue (not every model has this design but most Accords do).

I was busy spending every spare penny on property, which turned out to be a wise investment. Not something you hear much about in the context of cars!

Steerpike is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:14 am
  #7384  
Jpk
Just Joined
 
Jpk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 27
Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When I first arrived in 1983, I picked up a used Accord with 77,000 miles on it for just a few thousand bucks. Drove it for years, without issue, till I got to 150,000 then bought another used Accord, this time with 'only' 55,000 miles on it. Kept that for quite a while too. By that point I was making very good money and wanted some of the latest safety features such as anti-lock brakes and reversing camera, so had to splurge on a new car in '92, getting an Acura Legend (which was from the same 'family' as the Accord). I kept that Legend through 2006, when it had 140,000 miles on it ... and gave it to my g/f. With Honda's, you just have to remember to change the timing belt on cue (not every model has this design but most Accords do).

I was busy spending every spare penny on property, which turned out to be a wise investment. Not something you hear much about in the context of cars!
Interesting - if I was to be lucky enough to come to US that would my plan: buy used for a few thousand $ if needed - of course neglecting any credit score advantage there may be in buying new etc.
Did you fin that they second hand were good buys? Here from what aI read people tend to buy new car - is there a reason on credit rating etc?
Jpk is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:49 am
  #7385  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 13,258
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Jpk
Interesting - if I was to be lucky enough to come to US that would my plan: buy used for a few thousand $ if needed - of course neglecting any credit score advantage there may be in buying new etc.
Did you fin that they second hand were good buys? Here from what aI read people tend to buy new car - is there a reason on credit rating etc?
From reading BE, the used car market in the US seems difficult and overpriced, but back when I was looking for a car, I just looked in the classified ads, and shopped around. There was, and still is, something called the 'Kelly Blue Book' price, which I used as a guide. If you try to buy a used car from a dealer, then you will see stupid prices being asked for, but it's hard to know what the actual selling prices are. I seem to recall paying at the lower end of the 'blue book' price for my used cars. But back then, I was willing to drive around and look for cars. I remember driving all over the bay area, which was not easy. These days I'm simply not willing to hunt around like that, and I'm less inclined to risk dealing with private sales. But back in 1983, I had zero money and zero credit, so I had little choice. The company I joined didn't have much of a relo deal, so I had to make do.

Not only are Honda's well made cars, they tend to be driven carefully by people who can afford to maintain them. If you go for a 'sexy' car like a mustang or a camaro, you are likely to get a car formerly owned by a teenager who over-bought and then never did any maintenance, and drove it hard.
Steerpike is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2019, 9:51 pm
  #7386  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,520
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Jpk
Interesting - if I was to be lucky enough to come to US that would my plan: buy used for a few thousand $ if needed - of course neglecting any credit score advantage there may be in buying new etc.
Did you fin that they second hand were good buys? Here from what aI read people tend to buy new car - is there a reason on credit rating etc?
Don't listen to these guys, you're moving to the land of the free!

Free to have a F-off sized truck!

Let's talk about cars
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2019, 11:33 pm
  #7387  
Often not so civil...
 
civilservant's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: The Boonies, GA
Posts: 9,565
civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Don't listen to these guys, you're moving to the land of the free!

Free to have a F-off sized truck!

Let's talk about cars
Pulaski and I, at least, agree with you there... didn't someone on this thread recently buy a silverado too?
civilservant is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:02 am
  #7388  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 2,116
chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by civilservant
Pulaski and I, at least, agree with you there... didn't someone on this thread recently buy a silverado too?
I bought a Silverado 1500 in January 2018. We recently upgraded our travel trailer which took us over the limit of the 1500 so have now upgraded to a GMC Sierra 2500HD.
Spoiler:



chawkins99 is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:39 am
  #7389  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,520
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I bought a Silverado 1500 in January 2018. We recently upgraded our travel trailer which took us over the limit of the 1500 so have now upgraded to a GMC Sierra 2500HD.
Spoiler:



That's a bit more like it - proper USA.

How long is that trailer? Like the slide-outs.
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:28 am
  #7390  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 2,116
chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
That's a bit more like it - proper USA.

How long is that trailer? Like the slide-outs.
Ball to bumper, it's 39ft 8in. 3 slide-outs. We bought the new one because we're now living in it since we sold the house. Needed more room.
chawkins99 is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:01 am
  #7391  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,520
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Ball to bumper, it's 39ft 8in. 3 slide-outs. We bought the new one because we're now living in it since we sold the house. Needed more room.
Sweet, are you cruising around various bits of the US?
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:56 am
  #7392  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 2,116
chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Sweet, are you cruising around various bits of the US?
I wish!

No. I'm being laid off at the end of October. Company was sold in March and they are closing down our facility. When we first found out, we put the house up for sale so we'd be free to go wherever the next job takes us.

We put the house up for sale in May and had a contract within 10 days. Closed in June and have been in the RV since.

November is a mystery.
chawkins99 is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:22 pm
  #7393  
BE Forum Addict
 
zzrmark's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Lauren's Co. SC by way of Palmetto, Florida
Posts: 3,267
zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Don't listen to these guys, you're moving to the land of the free!

Free to have a F-off sized truck!

Let's talk about cars
Oi you, I'll have you know that some of us make our 2014 Tundra's work for a living.
zzrmark is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 6:22 pm
  #7394  
Democracy advocate
 
Cape Blue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,520
Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I wish!

No. I'm being laid off at the end of October. Company was sold in March and they are closing down our facility. When we first found out, we put the house up for sale so we'd be free to go wherever the next job takes us.

We put the house up for sale in May and had a contract within 10 days. Closed in June and have been in the RV since.

November is a mystery.
Wow, I assume you didn't expect to be able to get a job in the local area?
Cape Blue is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2019, 11:22 pm
  #7395  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 2,116
chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Wow, I assume you didn't expect to be able to get a job in the local area?
There were a few reasons but figured we needed to reduce costs and cash out the equity.

There are jobs around here but many are related to military and require security clearance. I may be able to get that but it may also require relinquishing British citizenship. Plus, if I'm up against another candidate who already has clearance...

I spent several years as a contractor in the UK which meant working away from home for weeks at a time. This way, home goes with me. At 57, age is not in my favour.

chawkins99 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.