Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Eh, I can put up with the in studio bits for the sake of the location segments, which have been getting steadily better, the Namibian special being the turning point. More of that please. They'll find their stride for the tent segments as they progress.
I knew nothing about Namibia and found those two episodes fascinating. Otoh, the tent segments feel horribly scripted and artificial. I haven't seen any progress on them improving either.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:25 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I knew nothing about Namibia and found those two episodes fascinating. Otoh, the tent segments feel horribly scripted and artificial. I haven't seen any progress on them improving either.
The Namiba special was a great return to form. Fitting as well, since the Botswana special ended at the Namibian border.

They'll sort out the tent stuff in season 2, most likely. I believe there was a lot of stuff they couldn't do because the BBC would sue (not sure if that is real fact or alternative fact, but I read it somewhere), so that probably contributed to that.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
So you've watched 11 of 13 hours. Therefore you still have 2 hours still to watch. The last episode is Episode 13, not 12.

One of our interpretations of maths is wrong, and I know I'm at least 128% right!
It is me that is wrong ..... as announced, the Grand Tour was supposed to be 36 episodes comprised of three series of 12 shows, each show being "approximately" one hour.

Somehow it appears that the Namibia special has been classified as "one show", which leads to the conclusion that Amazon thinks that "two" (hours) is approximately "one".

So when I said that I only have "one" show left to watch I was using Amazon's approximation, and the two shows I haven't yet seen are approximately one show! ..... So, using Amazon's logic, I appear to have been right after all.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth arguing, so I will accept that in some alternate reality, you're right.

In THIS reality, you're most definitely wrong.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

The Namiba special was a great return to form. Fitting as well, since the Botswana special ended at the Namibian border.

They'll sort out the tent stuff in season 2, most likely. I believe there was a lot of stuff they couldn't do because the BBC would sue (not sure if that is real fact or alternative fact, but I read it somewhere), so that probably contributed to that.
On your recommendation I may give that episode a look see, I can always fast forward the studio crap.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 1:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
On your recommendation I may give that episode a look see, I can always fast forward the studio crap.
The Namibia 2-parter, to the best of my recollection, does not have any studio segments. It was a good special, though, well worth a look.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The Namibia 2-parter, to the best of my recollection, does not have any studio segments. It was a good special, though, well worth a look.
Definitely the best of the GTs I have seen, though honestly IMO far from the best of the "two episode specials". I think the Burma, in trucks, one was my favourite, followed by the Vietnam one, on mopeds, and the Indian one, in British cars, that ended in the Himalayan foothills.

The Iraq-Syria special was also good, as was the Ukrainian episode (wasn't that a one hour special, not a two? )

The Argentina episode, taking on the wilds of the southern Andes in V8 sports cars, would potentially have been a top- three special for me, but needless to say it wasn't properly thought-out. ..... Maybe after filming in The Crimea/Ukraine, and Syria, and then driving through an area of Burma that was generally "closed to tourists" because of a known long-running civil war, their luck just ran out.

The Namibia special reminded me a good bit of the north pole special, which was only an hour, in that a lot of it was driving over featureless terrain, and so I think that Namibia could have been edited down to a very entertaining hour.

Any thoughts as to where and what they should do next? They presumably have at least two two-hour specials left to film. Maybe something in Siberia, perhaps ending at the coast looking across to Alaska? Or reprising Jeremy's previous trek across Alaska (a JC's Motorworld episode IIRC ) ending at the SW Alaskan coast.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 4th 2017 at 3:35 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Definitely the best of the ones I have seen, though honestly IMO far from the best of the "two episode specials. I think the Burma, in trucks, one was my favourite, followed be the Vietnam one, on mopeds, and the Indian one, in British cars, that ended in the Himalayan foothills.

The Iraq-Syria special was also good, as was the Ukrainian episode (wasn't that a one hour special, not a two? )

The Argentina episode, taking on the wilds of the southern Andes in V8 sports cars, would potentially have been a top- three special for me, but needless to say it wasn't properly thought-out. ..... Maybe after filming in The Crimea/Ukraine, and Syria, and then driving through an area of Burma that was generally "closed to tourists" because of a known long-running civil war, their luck just ran out.

The Namibia special reminded me a good bit of the north pole special, which was only an hour, in that a lot of it was driving over featureless terrain, and so I think that Namibia could have been edited down to a very entertaining hour.
I know they are not two episode specials but Botswana and Bolivia are my two favourites, I think. Vietnam runs pretty close, though.

As far as the two episode ones go, I think the source of the Nile one is up there for me. I like all the challenges/specials though. They don't need to pretend they are doing a car show anymore and honestly the three of them are at their best when they are in crappy cars, breaking down in some interesting and/or beautiful far-flung corner of the world.

Namibia wasn't perfect, by their standards, but it was a good starting point for where they should go with season 2, I think.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Although not a special, nothing will ever beat the British Leyland episode, I'm sorry every time I watch it I cry with laughter.

Having owned a selection of BL's 'best' everything rings so very true!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 6:53 pm

Although not a special, nothing will ever beat the British Leyland episode, I'm sorry every time I watch it I cry with laughter.

Having owned a selection of BL's 'best' everything rings so very true!
My first car was a Morris Ital. It was totalled 48 days after I bought it.. A piano didn't fall on it.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My first car was a Morris Ital. It was totalled 48 days after I bought it.. A piano didn't fall on it.

Oooo I had an Allegro, a Maxi and a Metro!!

Allegro with the square wheel was an utter piece of shit, the only way to start it was smother the whole engine in WD-40 and hope for ignition somewhere, The Maxi totaled itself when the effin bonnet flew off going down the M1 and ended up embedded in the car behind, and I actually managed to sell my Metro!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:17 pm

..... I actually managed to sell my Metro!
The scary thing is that the Metro was an improvement on what came before. .... It's no wonder that BL collapsed!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I SOLD Metros, Allegros and Itals for a while. Well, to be precise, I TRIED to sell them! I worked for Henleys and even got to drive the Rover SD1 before it's official launch.

I had an interesting encounter in an XJS, when while parked outside a post office, an old guy in a Triumph 2000 got out of his car without putting the handbrake on! All I could do is watch in horror as it rolled toward this brand new, V12 beast (which I shouldn't have had at that time!). I was too far away to do anything else but pray!!

Luckily, he managed to get the brake pulled and the car stopped about an inch or two from the Jag!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

To be fair the Maxi had one redeeming feature, put the back seats down and you could throw a mattress in there!! Classy Gloucester girls thought I was posh!
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Guindalf;12171371]I SOLD Metros, Allegros and Itals for a while. Well, to be precise, I TRIED to sell them! I worked for Henleys and even got to drive the Rover SD1 before it's official launch.

I had an interesting encounter in an XJS, when while parked outside a post office, an old guy in a Triumph 2000 got out of his car without putting the handbrake on! All I could do is watch in horror as it rolled toward this brand new, V12 beast (which I shouldn't have had at that time!). I was too far away to do anything else but pray!!

Luckily, he managed to get the brake pulled and the car stopped about an inch or two from the Jag!]

Hmmmm I bet your month end bonus check was light!

I actually liked the SDI, ****in terrifying in the wet though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.