Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:46 am
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Should be getting my first car here in a couple of days (I've been borrowing the spare family Jeep since MAY!)

Leasing a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and my wife picks her new lease (Ford Escape 201A) up tomorrow.

Been some pretty funny hoops to jump through for the financing...luckily her family here have a car broker who is awesome and has taken care of everything.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoOfficialComment
Leasing a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and my wife picks her new lease (Ford Escape 201A) up tomorrow.
I'll be interested in how you get along with the CX-5. That's on my list of possibilities for then my ancient BMW finally gives up the ghost.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
How so ?
The little shits are a sink hole for money...I wouldn't have the spare cash for a hairdressers car upkeep and another grands worth of insurance.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So the other day when the car was parked across the street so I could clear the wall of snow/ice that had been ploughed onto the end of the drive.

After lunch, went to head off...and someone had clipped the bumper.

Not worth an insurance job but the local body shop chap said it's going to be $300-400 if he's able to bodge a bunch of brackets and refit the thing. Spray job would be $200.

Hoping he can bodge it and not replace it. Not bothering with the spray job.

The real kicker though, the end of the drive way got ploughed back in by the time I was done with lunch and went out.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So the other day when the car was parked across the street so I could clear the wall of snow/ice that had been ploughed onto the end of the drive.

Not worth an insurance job but the local body shop chap said it's going to be $300-400 if he's able to bodge a bunch of brackets and refit the thing. Spray job would be $200. ....
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I've stopped watching.

The painful, forced studio crap was too much for me.

I must admit I tried to keep going, hoping it would improve, some parts were really funny, but the studio crap has finally tipped me over the edge, I'm officially done, its crap!
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:52 pm
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'll be interested in how you get along with the CX-5. That's on my list of possibilities for then my ancient BMW finally gives up the ghost.
So far it's just OK - wifes escape with the tech upgrade is far nicer IMO.

Drives fine, smooth etc. Haven't had bad enough weather to test the AWD yet.

Tech in it all works but the UI styling doesn't feel snazzy and new. Rear camera doesn't have the projected path lines when turning the wheel.

A few functions I would have hoped the touring model would have and doesn't like auto lights/wipers etc.

That all being said it's very roomy, comfortable to drive and for utility is very good.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 2:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I must admit I tried to keep going, hoping it would improve, some parts were really funny, but the studio crap has finally tipped me over the edge, I'm officially done, its crap!
The non-studio segments got progressively more and more Top Gear-like, i.e. better , .... and the studio segments more and more irritating. I have only the 12th episode to see.

Meanwhile I have restarted watching Wilman-Clarkson's Top Gear on Amazon in sequence, but for some reason it only starts at "Series 2".

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 3rd 2017 at 2:36 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The non-studio segments got progressively more and more Top Gear-like, i.e. better , .... and the studio segments more and more irritating. I have only the 12th episode to see.

Meanwhile I have restarted watching Wilman-Clarkson's Top Gear on Amazon in sequence, but for some reason it only starts at "Series 2".
That Studio crap is like as cheerleading squad for Clarkson and Co. Rather contrived and tacky; more like American 'reality tv' and that is not a compliment at all.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the 13th episode (there was the Namibian 2-parter)?

You really DON'T want to watch Series 1! It's not good.

I definitely agree that the show got betterer and betterer () as it went on. In fact, the celeb section was actually funny this week (no spoilers)!

Looking forward to S2.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:46 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to TG for another look.

Still crap.

Everything other than the outdoor bits remind me EXACTLY why I hate things like talk shows so much.

Oh well.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Do you mean the 13th episode (there was the Namibian 2-parter)? .....
The two-parter was in the middle of the series. So far I have watched 11 × 1hr shows, I have not yet watched the 12th (last) episode.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:34 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, I can put up with the in studio bits for the sake of the location segments, which have been getting steadily better, the Namibian special being the turning point. More of that please. They'll find their stride for the tent segments as they progress.

Bottom line is, mildly OK Clarkson, May and Hammond on TV is better than no Clarkson, May and Hammond on TV. My daughter absolutely loves The Grand Tour though, as she loves Top Gear. I'm so proud of her.

James May wasn't in series 1, so there's point in watching it
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 5:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bob

Not worth an insurance job but the local body shop chap said it's going to be $300-400 if he's able to bodge a bunch of brackets and refit the thing. Spray job would be $200.

Hoping he can bodge it and not replace it. Not bothering with the spray job.

The real kicker though, the end of the drive way got ploughed back in by the time I was done with lunch and went out.
The body shop came in at the low end of the quote and did a great job. Looks great. They tidied up the scrapes and filled them in with a colour match pen thingy as they had a spare from another job so unless you're looking really close, you can't really tell. It's not a proper smooth out the bumps, filler and spray job for a perfect look but that just wasn't worth the extra cost considering the car.

Bulb went out which also popped a fuse, but they didn't charge extra to fix that.

So anyone in the Metrowest area of MA, I'd definitely recommend this place. It's down a deadend street, so without knowing where they were, you'd never find them as they don't even have a website.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The two-parter was in the middle of the series. So far I have watched 11 × 1hr shows, I have not yet watched the 12th (last) episode.
So you've watched 11 of 13 hours. Therefore you still have 2 hours still to watch. The last episode is Episode 13, not 12.

One of our interpretations of maths is wrong, and I know I'm at least 128% right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.