Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:36 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I don't think the problem is downstream of the engine. My guesses are either a tiny intake leak that allows just enough air in to weaken the mixture, fuel or ignition issues. I'd also check the compression just in case...
It's heading back to the Dealer tonight. I'd be a lot more concerned if I was actually responsible for fixing anything. As it is, it's just my curiosity really.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
..... I'd be a lot more concerned if I was actually responsible for fixing anything. .....
Have you tried closing all the windows, then reopening them?
Old Nov 25th 2013, 3:54 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you tried closing all the windows, then reopening them?

It did have a Firmware update a week or so ago.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

So...

Cold starts (20degs or less)... Thoughts on why my Mini decides to not do those?

Is it a safety feature? "Cold out.. better stay home" Mode?

Did 3 of the cylinders go for a quick warm up and a cup of tea in the shed, like Leyland workers of old?

It's booked into the dealership anyway (warranty), but out of interest as the verdict is not yet in...

Twin Turbo in-line 4. Direct injection.

Starts perfectly if air temp is about 28-30degs or so, fails miserably below 25ish.

Once you DO get it running, runs rough (very) for up to 20 seconds or so, then smooth's out and feels normal.

Feels fine driving, no missing / stalling or anything out of the ordinary.

Crappy iPhone Vid goes here...

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/Other/Jun...7mm8m&lb=1&s=A

and here...

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/Other/Jun...cBhXr&lb=1&s=A

Figuring it has to be injectors or coil pack, but why only in the cold?
A lot of cold start issues with the Mini seem to center around the timing chain and a different chain is installed as a fix. Not sure if that is your issue, but could be.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by dakota44
A lot of cold start issues with the Mini seem to center around the timing chain and a different chain is installed as a fix. Not sure if that is your issue, but could be.
Don't envy anyone that job.

That said, if it's anything that "invasive", they will be swapping out the engine for a new one anyway. Not that that looks to be any easier.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

[Engine bay proto]

That said, if it's anything that "invasive", they will be swapping out the engine for a new one anyway. Not that that looks to be any easier.
I am surprised to hear that cold weather is causing a problem, because it looks quite cosy in there.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-7Rr8PpQ-M.jpg

Tis a bit cramped, isn't it.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow drive by the house the other day, quite rare in our area.
It looked in decent condition as well. If I remember the brake system on them was a nightmare to work on.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-7Rr8PpQ-M.jpg

If I could find the distributor cap in that mess, I'd suggest unclipping it for a quick spray of WD-40?

I find it hard to call those things Minis, they look about twice the size of a real one.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If I could find the distributor cap in that mess, I'd suggest unclipping it for a quick spray of WD-40?
Been a LOT of years since they had one of those.

I find it hard to call those things Minis, they look about twice the size of a real one.
It is probably double the size of my old Mini 1000. Most of that is down to safety I think... Doors are about 5 inches thick instead of half an inch, The dash, well... it IS a dash and not a shelf with a speedo on it.
Airbags, crash structures, ... interior door handles (my old one had a pull cord).
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If I could find the distributor cap in that mess, I'd suggest unclipping it for a quick spray of WD-40? .....
If you can find a distributor cap under the bonnet, I recommend alerting the National Enquirer!

..... I find it hard to call those things Minis, they look about twice the size of a real one.
I guess if they'd called it the Maxi it would be rather harder to market, with people not have such fond memories of the Maxi.

Looking at it now, it looks like the sort of monstrosity that was built by communists in the 1970's.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 25th 2013 at 5:25 am.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you can find a distributor cap under the bonnet, I recommend alerting the National Enquirer!
I already told them about a friend of a friend who has a carburetor that gets 200 mpg but Detroit tried to cover it up.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

While on the subject of cold weather and cars, I had a Fiat Strada I bought back in 1981. I liked it, but it was hard to start in the cold. I had to leave an electrically-heated dipstick in it to get it started. The most interesting thing was that when I drove it on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in sub-zero weather, it would idle at about 70 - 75 mph - no need to touch the gas pedal. The only way to get it to stop was to switch off the ignition. After you pulled off the highway, the heat in the engine compartment would warm up the throttle mechanism enough for it to unfreeze and return control to the driver. It was an interesting car.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Nov 25th 2013 at 5:36 am.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
While on the subject of cold weather and cars, I had a Fiat Strada I bought back in 1981. I liked it, but it was hard to start in the cold. I had to leave an electrically-heated dipstick in it to get it started. The most interesting thing was that when I drove it on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in sub-zero weather, it would idle at about 70 - 75 mph - no need to touch the gas pedal. The only way to get it to stop was to switch off the ignition. After you pulled off the highway, the heat in the engine compartment would warm up the throttle mechanism enough for it to unfreeze and return control to the driver. It was an interesting car.
Fellow former Fiat owner. Once owned a Fiat Tipo, it had a really cool digital dashboard. It didn't like the damp in England hence my comment regarding a quick spray of WD-40 in the distributor cap. It wasn't too bad for a Fiat, it even had a galvanized body. Shame nothing else was galvanized.

It seems they have recycled the Strada name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Strada
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:31 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

So...

Cold starts (20degs or less)... Thoughts on why my Mini decides to not do those?

Is it a safety feature? "Cold out.. better stay home" Mode?

Did 3 of the cylinders go for a quick warm up and a cup of tea in the shed, like Leyland workers of old?

It's booked into the dealership anyway (warranty), but out of interest as the verdict is not yet in...

Twin Turbo in-line 4. Direct injection.

Starts perfectly if air temp is about 28-30degs or so, fails miserably below 25ish.

Once you DO get it running, runs rough (very) for up to 20 seconds or so, then smooth's out and feels normal.

Feels fine driving, no missing / stalling or anything out of the ordinary.

Crappy iPhone Vid goes here...

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/Other/Jun...7mm8m&lb=1&s=A

and here...

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/Other/Jun...cBhXr&lb=1&s=A

Figuring it has to be injectors or coil pack, but why only in the cold?
You need to pull the choke out - it's not just for hanging your hand-bag you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.