British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong May 1st 2011 9:58 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9333056)
Oooh lovely Linda, so glad you are getting it live, I am watching ITV AND BBC just flicking and am just loving the trees in Westminster Abbey as the first guests are shown in.

Just think they have to sit there for the next 2 and a half hours, let's hope the seats are comfy LOL!! :eek:

Gees! I had no idea everyone would be on this forum at the time of the royal wedding!! I would have been here :rofl::rofl:

jasper123 May 1st 2011 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9335299)
When I get back, my DH and I will treat you to free lessons ;-) He's not from Bolton, but he's from Manchester which is near enough.

We're tough task masters though, so there'll be lots of homework! :lol:

Yep boltons right on Manchesters door step --- so thats close enough, I will be looking forward to the lessons --- trouble is by the time you come over here I will probably be speaking with a Pompey accent already (Anythink) instead of (Anything) or maybe thats all over England, I dont think they even realise what there saying :confused:

jasper123 May 1st 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9335324)
I've been practicing. I'm all caught up on watching Coronation street and can sound like someone having a pint in the Rovers So I'm good :thumbsup:
But then I watch Benidorm and start talking like I'm from Liverpool like the resort manager :lol: I'm so confused.

I know exactly how you feel Mummy :confused: me too :blink::huh:

windsong May 1st 2011 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9334063)
The last 4 digit s of my phone number are 1065. I always say "the year before the Battle of Hastings" but most people don't have a clue when that was. :huh::rofl:

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 24 hours. What a fantastic day it has been. The wedding was glorious and I, like many of you, am so proud to be British. Noone can do pomp and circumstance like the Brits. I found it all very moving and heartwarming. The positive atmosphere and the joining together of people of many ages from all backgrounds was a remarkable thing.
I found it interesting that they chose a Charles Wesley (leader of the Methodist movement) hymn: Love Divine All Loves Excelling. mind you he did write 6000 hymns!
I am certainly, like my family before and after me, a Monarchist.

Me, too! Had a fabulous time. Watched it all on-line!!

windsong May 1st 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9334464)
Thats right Barb --- Victoria Beckham was the woman with the funny hat that couldn't smile to save her life --- Mrs Personality of the year I would say :eek:

Maybe she and David had an argument before they arrived:rofl:

She really looked as if she did not want to be there.

windsong May 1st 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 9334937)
I think this is a relevant moving-back-to-the-uk question,as many people will want to go back for reconnaissance trips before moving back, or will be at a temporary address when they do first move back, and in either case, this kind of non-contract phone is useful.

I bought a pay-as-you-go phone from Orange about three years ago, the cheapest one they had--about 20 pounds.

You just put money on it to top it up, either in a shop, or by calling and using credit card if you have set that up. Calls and texts are expensive, it's true, but this is far better and easier than having any sort of contract.

If you go back to the UK within six months, the phone will still work with the same phone number. So I've been successfully using it for at least three years, every time I visit the uk.

I think, but am not sure, that if you couldn't get back within six months, but just called the number from US or wherever, or got someone in uk to call the number for you, that is enough to keep the account active and keep the number.

But I am not sure, as I've always been able to go back before the six months are up.

Tina.

Is this what most people do in the UK rather than having a cell phone contract?

chriswinter May 2nd 2011 12:29 am

One of my Aussie FB friends just wrote that the sale of cucumbers went up 50% on Friday in England. I'm assuming for a lovely cucumber & butter sandwich? I had to laugh when I read that by my Aussie friend...as I actually ate a scrumptious cuke & butter sandwich Friday evening and didn't even think about anything else while making it.
Though I have to say...as a kid attending school in America...being sent with cuke & butter sandwiches for lunch (I loved them, still do)...was sometimes a bit off-putting, because when most kids saw what I was eating, they would pull foul faces and ask me how could I eat that? :(
Anyone else here a cuke & (real) butter sandwich eater?? :D

Chris

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9336434)
Thanks Bee...just went to that FB page and found a link to this...:rofl:
The Royal Portal!! A real close-up of the most talked about hat evidently.
http://www.thenetwerk.com/games/2011...-royal-portal/

Holy cow, close up it does look like the mirror from Cinderella. That girl is so pretty, no one told her not to make up her eyes like a panda, it's awful. Sorry but to be in the royal family you think someone gave them the once over approval. Maybe they'll see all the remarks all over the internet and go and get make overs and some real friends who would tell them "hell no that looks awful"

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2011 12:33 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9336643)
Apparently, Pippa Middleton's bum now has its own Facebook fan page.

:rofl:

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9336659)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have seen her dress described as derriere skimming. :lol:

She was absolutely gorgeous. Her, Kate and her Mum were all gorgeous. Peas in a pod.

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2011 12:37 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9337046)
One of my Aussie FB friends just wrote that the sale of cucumbers went up 50% on Friday in England. I'm assuming for a lovely cucumber & butter sandwich? I had to laugh when I read that by my Aussie friend...as I actually ate a scrumptious cuke & butter sandwich Friday evening and didn't even think about anything else while making it.
Though I have to say...as a kid attending school in America...being sent with cuke & butter sandwiches for lunch (I loved them, still do)...was sometimes a bit off-putting, because when most kids saw what I was eating, they would pull foul faces and ask me how could I eat that? :(
Anyone else here a cuke & (real) butter sandwich eater?? :D

Chris

Mmmm I love sandwiches made with Salmon and cucumber. We have cucumber weather here this weekend. I must put them on my list and a tin of salmon too.
I send Dd to Kindergarten with a little tub of sliced cucumbers in her lunch box she loves them too. All her friends want a piece and she won't share :lol:

cheers May 2nd 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9337054)
Mmmm I love sandwiches made with Salmon and cucumber. We have cucumber weather here this weekend. I must put them on my list and a tin of salmon too.
I send Dd to Kindergarten with a little tub of sliced cucumbers in her lunch box she loves them too. All her friends want a piece and she won't share :lol:

I want mustard and cress and also watercress. I'll even take it with egg salad sandwiches. I'm off chickens and eggs right now so that would be a sacrifice.

OK help me out here, what do they call that in the US? I'm referring to the watercress and M&C.

trottytrue May 2nd 2011 1:19 am

Anyone know were Kate has worked for the past few years. I read that she hasnt had a job is that true.

windsong May 2nd 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9337047)
Holy cow, close up it does look like the mirror from Cinderella. That girl is so pretty, no one told her not to make up her eyes like a panda, it's awful. Sorry but to be in the royal family you think someone gave them the once over approval. Maybe they'll see all the remarks all over the internet and go and get make overs and some real friends who would tell them "hell no that looks awful"

I think she looked totally ridiculous! That hat was dreadful. I couldn't believe it when I saw it - and then to see the half-inch thick eyeliner as well???? Oh my!!!

I honestly don't think her sister looked much better either.

cheers May 2nd 2011 1:28 am

I just saw a picture of her dad riding on a lawnmower today after he had just got back from London. He couldn't stand to see long grass I suppose or maybe it is therapy for him.

Cheers

Mummy in the foothills May 2nd 2011 1:38 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9337076)
I want mustard and cress and also watercress. I'll even take it with egg salad sandwiches. I'm off chickens and eggs right now so that would be a sacrifice.

OK help me out here, what do they call that in the US? I'm referring to the watercress and M&C.

I've never noticed water cress or mustard cress here. I think I did look one time Mum wanted it one year for something. I love it in a sandwich too, but you can keep the eggs sandwiches Ick, smelly.