British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Celticspirit Jan 19th 2011 5:47 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9112181)
I'm desperate to have a pet again. First time in 30 year's I haven't. I'm going to have to remain mobile and jump through every possible hoop to find the bucks to move back home though. So the sooner the better!

When you get there.........I will find you a brilliant pet!!

Gotta go........I cannot believe that tomorrow I have to show up for Jury Duty. First time ever.........hope not to get picked......my husband says they dont like lawyers wives...........hope it works for me.

Celticspirit Jan 19th 2011 6:12 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

]

aviva Jan 19th 2011 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9112280)
]

I have a friend who is in the middle of one of those marathon murder
(and everything else unspeakable you can imagine) trials at the moment. So hopefully you don't have to take a few months out of your life. Interesting work if you can get it though.

islandwoman120 Jan 19th 2011 8:15 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9112070)
I have dreams of how I would like it to go. First, after 40 years, citizenship (just never got around to it). Then I'd like to save up about 160K (pounds) so I can buy a place, I think. (I'm brilliant at saving money) Either that or rent a place with minimal output so I can spend money on traveling around Europe. I'd like to share with someone, significant or insignificant other, so I can have a better lifestyle. Maybe have a place in Spain or Italy and go alternating back and forth so not to get on nerves. In a perfect world, I'd like to live alone, but I don't think I can, and realistically would rather be slightly irritated by someone else sometimes, than completely lonely as the years go by. Must have pets, artistic endeavors, friends, garden, water source nearby (river, lake, ocean), possible sunshine sometimes.
I've a Masters in Clinical Psychology but do Dog and Cat Grooming. Pets are more fun and rewarding to me.
When? It's a moving target. Three years tops, one year if I could figure it out.
Where? Thought about Scotland but sometimes sounds as though the weather is too harsh? South of England, Devon? Frome?

Frome, Frome!!!

beachgal21 Jan 19th 2011 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9112035)
We are sooo on the same page. Even chickens.......I could make myself crazy. But just look into any animal's eyes.
Yes, go to a Borzoi rescue group. There will be many rescue dogs. Hounds are hard to place........glamorous but with all of the hound traits.
When are you leaving and wherever you settling? I love to stay in touch with dog people and hope to continue as a dog judge in Europe.

Hi Celtic, what breed of dog do you have. I used to breed and show Border Collies back in the UK and judged several breeds in the Pastoral Group. :)

sallysimmons Jan 19th 2011 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9113115)
Hi Celtic, what breed of dog do you have. I used to breed and show Border Collies back in the UK and judged several breeds in the Pastoral Group. :)

Aw, when I was a kid, I begged and begged my parents for a dog. I cried until they agreed and we went up to a farm somewhere in Yorkshire and brought back Ben, a lovely border collie, but the runt of his litter and the one none of the farmers wanted.

He was the most loving dog in the world. Of course, when I became a teenager, the responsibility slowly devolved to my parents and then I took off for college and there they were, stuck with a dog they never wanted.

My dad used to pretend he didn't care about Ben - he'd call him 'your dog' - but he loved him to little bits. Late at night, I'd hear him talking to Ben before he went to bed, whispering in a baby voice. And Ben followed him everywhere. He was my dad's dog from the first day.

One time Ben disappeared. Mum and dad were due to go away for the weekend and I was house-sitting. Dad wouldn't leave until we found Ben. He said "your mother will never relax unless we know he's OK." Mum was saying 'I'm fine! Let's go!' but he kept insisting she would be too worried - even then he couldn't admit it was he who was the worried one! :rofl: Finally we found Ben at the local playing fields rounding up the kids who were trying to play football (his favorite thing).

When he got very old, he got arthritis and when it got too bad, they had to have him put to sleep. The vet came to the house, and dad held Ben on his lap until he passed. He never said, but I know he must have cried.

sallysimmons Jan 19th 2011 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9112021)
I'd have started crying! Can't handle eating anything that can look at me.

My husband hasn't eaten anything with a face for 30 years. I stopped eating meat years ago and rarely touch dairy (it just grosses me out) but I do eat fish and, as he regularly tells me, they have faces too.

Wawa Jan 19th 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9112033)
I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry. :( I feel pretty lost a lot.

I have found an exercise place that makes me feel good, it may keep me sane while we move. I do Zumba OMG I'm moving bits I haven't moved in years :lol:
I just got back from class, after my shower I'm still glowing from the exercise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glexu90pMxo

Mummy, I have to admit that I am pretty addicted to my gym. To be honest it has been my saving grace over the last two years, with few friends and little social life, its been the place that I can meet people and save my sanity at the same time. I do Zumba (its a good laugh, isnt it :lol:), Boot camp, Body sculpt with weights and lots of cardio classes. Love the vibe as its a huge place with ice rinks (natch!! this IS Cananda after all!) swimming pools, saunas, basketball, circuit training, all one could wish for. Plus I get a special rate once I turned 55! :eek:

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wawa (Post 9113444)
Mummy, I have to admit that I am pretty addicted to my gym. To be honest it has been my saving grace over the last two years, with few friends and little social life, its been the place that I can meet people and save my sanity at the same time. I do Zumba (its a good laugh, isnt it :lol:), Boot camp, Body sculpt with weights and lots of cardio classes. Love the vibe as its a huge place with ice rinks (natch!! this IS Cananda after all!) swimming pools, saunas, basketball, circuit training, all one could wish for. Plus I get a special rate once I turned 55! :eek:

Sounds good. I go to my Curves class 3 times a week and its a good place to meet people. They've just started Zumba there but I haven't tried it yet, as we are currently away, but am looking forward to it. I do find though that I still have to do other cardio to keep the weight down. Curves by itself isn't enough for me. Usually in summer I walk every day but once the snow falls, that it for me:lol:

SomersetGirl Jan 19th 2011 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9113132)
Aw, when I was a kid, I begged and begged my parents for a dog. I cried until they agreed and we went up to a farm somewhere in Yorkshire and brought back Ben, a lovely border collie, but the runt of his litter and the one none of the farmers wanted.

He was the most loving dog in the world. Of course, when I became a teenager, the responsibility slowly devolved to my parents and then I took off for college and there they were, stuck with a dog they never wanted.

My dad used to pretend he didn't care about Ben - he'd call him 'your dog' - but he loved him to little bits. Late at night, I'd hear him talking to Ben before he went to bed, whispering in a baby voice. And Ben followed him everywhere. He was my dad's dog from the first day.

One time Ben disappeared. Mum and dad were due to go away for the weekend and I was house-sitting. Dad wouldn't leave until we found Ben. He said "your mother will never relax unless we know he's OK." Mum was saying 'I'm fine! Let's go!' but he kept insisting she would be too worried - even then he couldn't admit it was he who was the worried one! :rofl: Finally we found Ben at the local playing fields rounding up the kids who were trying to play football (his favorite thing).

When he got very old, he got arthritis and when it got too bad, they had to have him put to sleep. The vet came to the house, and dad held Ben on his lap until he passed. He never said, but I know he must have cried.

Sally, we definitely ARE twins. I had a border collie too when I was a teenager, from the RSPCA, and also left her with my parents. I remember once before we were married, my husband was visiting me at my parents for the weekend, and she got lost. He and I spent hours and hours looking for her, driving, walking, calling her name, (me crying all the time), and eventually found her in the garden shed, of all places. She had been there the whole time, not even barking:confused: We were sooo happy to see her pretty little face. Anyway, she lived to be 13 and was my Dad's best friend until she died:(

aviva Jan 19th 2011 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9112512)
Frome, Frome!!!

I think we should all live in a row of houses in Frome!

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9112146)
It is sorta sad we all got separated. We should all be on the same page as we all have the same goals and ideas for the future. Chit chat and seriousness can work together.
It is a little harder work to check into two lists every day.
Jury duty tomorrow. Hope they throw me out.

Fidelma

Dh always gets himself thrown out, he's a hostile juror :lol: When the judge asked if they had questions he asked why they put out a bench warrant for anyone who didn't come, that they were turning law biding citizens into criminals and it was wrong, jury service should be voluntary, he was told "you may leave" ;)

Wawa Jan 19th 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9113623)
Sounds good. I go to my Curves class 3 times a week and its a good place to meet people. They've just started Zumba there but I haven't tried it yet, as we are currently away, but am looking forward to it. I do find though that I still have to do other cardio to keep the weight down. Curves by itself isn't enough for me. Usually in summer I walk every day but once the snow falls, that it for me:lol:

SomersetGirl, Curves are pretty good, but yes, you need some good cardio if you want to trim down (which is the story of my life :frown:) thats why I do a class - I find it more motivating with other people around and dont have to contend with the snow and crappy temps. -22 it was the other day!!:rolleyes: Where in Canada are you?

Mummy in the foothills Jan 19th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Wawa (Post 9113444)

I love it, it's a tiny place, some classes can be a bit full. The woman that owns/runs it is amazing and so sweet, her kids are there too and she has a play room and a babysitter, so for $1 you can leave the kids in the playroom while you exercise, I've been thinking of doing the body sculpt, I need the cardio for my cholesterol (borderline) so we'll see if it helps.

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9113623)

I used to do curves 3 or 4 times a week, It didn't help me at all, but I enjoyed the ladies. Your going to love Zumba, we laugh so much and when you have to shake it :rofl: Oh and my hips only rotate in one direction, who knew :o

sallysimmons Jan 19th 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9113633)
Sally, we definitely ARE twins. I had a border collie too when I was a teenager, from the RSPCA, and also left her with my parents. I remember once before we were married, my husband was visiting me at my parents for the weekend, and she got lost. He and I spent hours and hours looking for her, driving, walking, calling her name, (me crying all the time), and eventually found her in the garden shed, of all places. She had been there the whole time, not even barking:confused: We were sooo happy to see her pretty little face. Anyway, she lived to be 13 and was my Dad's best friend until she died:(

The only way we're different appears to be that I am not even remotely happy about exercising :rofl:

I put on 50lbs when I stopped smoking and lost 30 of it 2 years ago on WW. I forced myself to go for walks, but mostly I did it just by eating more healthily. Then I got some still undiagnosed joint pain and that put the kibosh on walking - but really I think I was just looking for an excuse because I really hate exercise more than I can say. (Is that another way of saying I'm bone idle? :D)

I am in awe of all you ladies (and men?) who are not so lazy. The good news is I got back on the healthy eating bandwagon and so I'm now chipping into that last 20 lbs.