British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

islandwoman120 May 5th 2011 8:23 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9344473)
I was talking about the BBC TV World News.

I'll catch up on this later today - I am off to vote - in my own set of UK elections. Later!

bandrui May 5th 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9344070)
I did! Sadly, they don't allow you to vote absentee if you've been gone longer than 15 years so I have to sit idly by and hope :D

Sally, my understanding from when I looked into this was that you can vote absentee if at some point you were registered to vote in the UK. On the application you give the name of the place where you were registered to vote.

dunroving May 5th 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9344444)
The problem with critical evaluation and academia as a whole is that it ignores an important source of information... our intuition.

That is so not true about many academics - what about phenomenology, ethnography, grounded theory, etc., etc.? Even within the positivistic paradigm, intuition is a crucially important part of a researcher's skills and abilities. It's probably true that the discoveries of the best scientists (take Einstein, for example) were derived primarily due to their intuition.

Only if you view academia/research through a very narrow ontological prism would your statement be true. Positivism is only one of a variety of epistemological perspectives on "science".

windsong May 5th 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9344325)
I do not read newspapers on the whole. And please do not imply any person from Liverpool would read The Sun. :unsure:

I wouldn't exactly call myself cynical or refer to myself as a conspiracy theorist but as I said before if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't.

Perhaps you recall the very widely reported "hidden Weapons of Mass Destruction" in Iraq, you know when the US invaded that country followed closely by the UK, Australia et al. it was in all the newspapers, yes even the reputable ones, on every TV channel, etc., that was in 2003, now all these years later after many civilians and military personnel have lost their lives, we find out what?

There weren't any Weapons of Mass Destruction...........

Believe everything I read?

I think not.

I believe what I choose to believe, just as you do.

EXACTLY!!

windsong May 5th 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9344819)
That is so not true about many academics - what about phenomenology, ethnography, grounded theory, etc., etc.? Even within the positivistic paradigm, intuition is a crucially important part of a researcher's skills and abilities. It's probably true that the discoveries of the best scientists (take Einstein, for example) were derived primarily due to their intuition.

Only if you view academia/research through a very narrow ontological prism would your statement be true. Positivism is only one of a variety of epistemological perspectives on "science".

Is this written in English so the average person can understand it or is it written to mystify :rofl::rofl:

dunroving May 5th 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9345085)
Is this written in English so the average person can understand it or is it written to mystify :rofl::rofl:

Have you tried Wikipedia or Google?

Mystification is more often a self-induced state of the intellectually indolent, rather than something imposed by others. The social norm is becoming hours spent jabbering on social networks about one's opinion, rather than to crack open a book (or actively use online resources) and challenge one's understanding of the world.

Having said that, the Idiot's Guide is:

Essentially, people have a misperception that science/research has only one way of looking at things (one paradigm - positivism, or the Scientific Method) and that there is no place for human perception, opinion, or the possibility of different realities/truths.

We don't all just plug the data into a computer and blindly assume that what comes out the other end is the only answer or the correct answer. And most good researchers consider the possibilty that they may be wrong or their data may be pointing in the wrong direction.

In other words, most academics are a lot more open-minded than was implied in the post I responded to. In fact, the sweeping generalization about academics was itself pretty ironic, if you think about it.

windsong May 5th 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9345136)
Have you tried Wikipedia or Google?

Mystification is more often a self-induced state of the intellectually indolent, rather than something imposed by others. The social norm is becoming hours spent jabbering on social networks about one's opinion, rather than to crack open a book (or actively use online resources) and challenge one's understanding of the world.

Having said that, the Idiot's Guide is:

Essentially, people have a misperception that science/research has only one way of looking at things (one paradigm - positivism, or the Scientific Method) and that there is no place for human perception, opinion, or the possibility of different realities/truths.

We don't all just plug the data into a computer and blindly assume that what comes out the other end is the only answer or the correct answer. And most good researchers consider the possibilty that they may be wrong or their data may be pointing in the wrong direction.

In other words, most academics are a lot more open-minded than was implied in the post I responded to. In fact, the sweeping generalization about academics was itself pretty ironic, if you think about it.

Baffle them with science :rofl::rofl:

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9345136)

But probably based on intuition :lol:

cheers May 5th 2011 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9344490)
I'll catch up on this later today - I am off to vote - in my own set of UK elections. Later!

Let us know if you get elected.;)

islandwoman120 May 5th 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9345369)
Let us know if you get elected.;)

I will indeed. Then there will be (in no particular order of importance): no swearing in public; no smoking anywhere; no pubs will be allowed to serve alcohol; no dogs allowed in town; no litter anywhere; and, as one fellow citizen, at least 20 years my junior stated: bring back a state of grace and allow the Queen to lead this return to good manners and decency. Amen to that.;)

cheers May 5th 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9345507)
I will indeed. Then there will be (in no particular order of importance): no swearing in public; no smoking anywhere; no pubs will be allowed to serve alcohol; no dogs allowed in town; no litter anywhere; and, as one fellow citizen, at least 20 years my junior stated: bring back a state of grace and allow the Queen to lead this return to good manners and decency. Amen to that.;)

YAY!

sallysimmons May 5th 2011 5:58 pm

no pubs will be allowed to serve alcohol

:eek: You just totally lost my vote! :rofl:

Mummy in the foothills May 5th 2011 6:10 pm

:eek:

Beedubya May 5th 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9345521)
:eek: You just totally lost my vote! :rofl:

Mine too! Boo hiss!! :p

dunroving May 5th 2011 6:40 pm

No dogs? No alcohol? No vote!

(But your other ideas are good). ;)