British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

anishq May 3rd 2011 11:41 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9341218)
Time will tell . . .

I did not read anything about DNA. I just read now they are contemplating releasing very graphic photos today because they knew there would be disbelievers. However, even photos doesn't mean it happened recently ;)

Just announced on HLN that the photos will be released.

trottytrue May 3rd 2011 11:49 pm

Lets hope between the DNA and the photos it will dispell any ideas that he is not dead.

Windsong...I think no matter where we live people think for themselves and make decisions according to their own filter of the news.

windsong May 3rd 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9341657)
Lets hope between the DNA and the photos it will dispell any ideas that he is not dead.

Windsong...I think no matter where we live people think for themselves and make decisions according to their own filter of the news.

Trotty, I have to disagree. I do not think everyone thinks for themselves.

Derrygal May 4th 2011 12:09 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9341528)
Just had to post this because I think it's one of the most amazing pictures I've ever seen. You really see the level of risk involved in the operation and the tension on every face - each one expressing it in a different way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whiteho...4572/lightbox/

Of course they could all have been faking it for the cameras :lol:

Yes - I saw this on ABC news this evening - everyone looked very worried, especially Obama and Hillary Clinton.

Derrygal May 4th 2011 12:18 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9341487)
I know what you mean about being frightened but I honestly think more attacks were coming anyway. That's just the nature of the beast. Even though most of us had forgotten about it, the terrorists hadn't.

Right after 9/11 I used to get nervous whenever I had to go into NYC but now I just figure risk is a part of life and I don't even think about it. I'm far more likely to die in a car crash, or because I smoked for 20 years, than I am to die in a terrorist attack. Just think how many people have died since 9/11 in freak accidents. I bet it's a lot more than 3,000. Or how many have died from a heart attack because they ate too many burgers?

And if I am one of the unlucky ones and it's a terrorist attack that gets me, well that's the way it was meant to be. But then we all grew up with the threat of IRA bombs so maybe we're used to it.

9/11 was the most terrifying day (and the days following). My youngest daughter was working in DC at the time and I couldn't get through to her as all the phone lines were jammed. I will never forget it. I actually flew a few weeks afterwards - I really wanted to cancel my flight, but didn't want the terrorists to "win". It was very scary. We have been lucky - I am sure there have been a lot of other terror plots that have been thwarted. I really don't think about it a lot anymore and yes, there is terrorism everywhere. I lived in N Ireland during some of the worst years of "the troubles" and had some friends and neighbors killed by the IRA. I am of the mind-set now that "when your time is up, it's up", but I don't dwell on it. Just take it one day at a time.

chriswinter May 4th 2011 12:39 am

Originally Posted by anishq (Post 9341621)
Also is the Pakistan op. the reason why the Obamas didn't/couldn't attend the wedding and the news that they were not invited is misinformation?

Other US presidents and even a PM or 2 has not been invited to some Royal Weddings..
http://www.factcheck.org/2011/01/oba...royal-wedding/

I have also read that the President of France wasn't invited either. Seems it was the heads of Commonwealth nations, Royalty of other countries and UK elected officials were invited. So from that I am going to deduce that if one was an elected official from a non-Commonwealth nation..no invite was forthcoming (:confused:). No inside source for me..:o, but is what I'm going to assume.
;)

Chris

chriswinter May 4th 2011 12:42 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9341670)
Trotty, I have to disagree. I do not think everyone thinks for themselves.

Would have been nice if you had included for the BE members...Present company excluded! :thumbsup::lol:

Chris

Derrygal May 4th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by chriswinter (Post 9341737)
Other US presidents and even a PM or 2 has not been invited to some Royal Weddings..
http://www.factcheck.org/2011/01/oba...royal-wedding/

I have also read that the President of France wasn't invited either. Seems it was the heads of Commonwealth nations, Royalty of other countries and UK elected officials were invited. So from that I am going to deduce that if one was an elected official from a non-Commonwealth nation..no invite was forthcoming (:confused:). No inside source for me..:o, but is what I'm going to assume.
;)

Chris

The wedding wasn't considered a state occasion so that's why the Obamas and other foreign leaders weren't invited. I believe the Obamas are going on a state visit to the UK sometime this month.

cheers May 4th 2011 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9341743)
The wedding wasn't considered a state occasion so that's why the Obamas and other foreign leaders weren't invited. I believe the Obamas are going on a state visit to the UK sometime this month.

This worries me because the US Secret Service has a mandate to protect the president and I wonder how they are going to do that in the UK. I have worked with the Secret Service and they have a cowboy mentality, though I really liked the ones I worked with but if they let lose with their guns in London I hope they will be held accountable to British law. How they are going to handle the situation remains to be seen.

Also remember they say we will never know what happened to Kennedy in Dallas or Princess Diane in Paris. Scary right?

sallysimmons May 4th 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9341743)

True. And I very much doubt that William and Kate's wedding was a big consideration when it came to killing the world's most wanted terrorist.

Re: secret service. This is not Obama's first visit and every other American President has gone to the UK without incident. Just let's hope the Queen doesn't give Michelle a bear hug or some people will go nuts :rofl::rofl:

sallysimmons May 4th 2011 1:31 am

Sorry - double post

trottytrue May 4th 2011 3:06 am

Windsong...I should have said many people throughout the World think for themselves. There are those who are influenced by others.

bandrui May 4th 2011 3:22 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9340506)
I'm not sure anything I have ever posted suggests I am the kind of person who takes every word I read in the media as gospel truth. :blink:

But likewise, I don't believe everything that happens is suspect. In this case, my reading of all the reports makes me very sure that bin Laden is dead and that he was buried at sea. Everyone is entitled to a different opinion, but that's mine and here is why:

I know which journalists in America I trust and which I don't and many of the ones I trust are reporting interesting details that make perfect sense.

I also know that if there was the faintest whiff of doubt about this, the 2012 Presidential candidates and the Republican opposition would be all over it. They haven't given President Obama the benefit of the doubt on anything in 2 years and there's no reason they would start now.

And finally, I don't think Obama is stupid enough to make a huge pow-wow about having killed someone if he thought that person could pop up a few days later with a new video tape!

They may release photos soon, although my understanding is that the photos are extremely unpleasant because Bin Laden was shot in the face. This is the only reason for delay. I assume the congress has seen those photos, hence the lack of argument from them.

Anyway, that's my reasoning - which is far from believing everything I read in the media.

Today it was headline news on the CBC (Canada's BBC equivalent) that the US is now "backtracking" on some of the details about this. That there was a photograph that they were thinking of releasing but might be too graphic. (Has this ever stopped them before?)
I don't know Sally. Like you I feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't have a good feeling about this. Something feels wrong.

bandrui May 4th 2011 3:30 am

By the way, I thought it quite curious that BBC World made no mention at all (at least as far as I heard) that Canada had a General Election yesterday. Our second major political party (Liberal) was wiped off the board for the first time in history, the NDP holds more seats than it ever has in history by leaps and became the official opposition for the first time in history, the leader of the Green Party was elected in my riding making her the first Green Party MP ever. As a result of all this, well mainly because the Liberals had a useless candidate, the Conservatives made it back in with a majority so we are now operating with a majority government for the first time in 7 years and I believe they are going to push through all the nasty things they couldn't get through as a minority government. It could be ugly, at least from my perspective. We'll see.

Well, it is the Chit-Chat thread ;).

Mummy in the foothills May 4th 2011 4:27 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9341767)
This worries me because the US Secret Service has a mandate to protect the president and I wonder how they are going to do that in the UK. I have worked with the Secret Service and they have a cowboy mentality, though I really liked the ones I worked with but if they let lose with their guns in London I hope they will be held accountable to British law. How they are going to handle the situation remains to be seen.

Also remember they say we will never know what happened to Kennedy in Dallas or Princess Diane in Paris. Scary right?

You need to watch MI5 show on PBS it makes me laugh all the US secret service and CIA running round London with their guns thinking they own the world :lol: